• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
www.eurogamer.net

The big Xbox Series S interview: why Microsoft made an entry-level next-gen console

We knew it was in development, we even got to see it during our visit to the Microsoft campus back in March - but today…

"Series S has been very impactful for us. As we design our new consoles for the new generation, we're very much looking forward through the generation to be thinking ahead - like, how does this work? - and that's why we got to two consoles at the same time," Goossen continued. "We are facing a big change in how consoles are designed. I believe when we first started building the original Xbox 360 - the smallest one without the HDD - that cost us about $460. By the end of the generation it cost us around $120 - and that cost reduction path was driven principally by silicon cost reduction."

"And so that was another one of the reasons why we felt that we really had to do Series S at the beginning because we had to design for the future. For the first time, we had to have the entry-level console at the beginning. Previous generations were kind of easy because at the beginning of the generation, you make something really expensive - put as much silicon and as much performance as you could into it - then you would just ride the cost reduction curves down to mass market prices. That's not there anymore," Goossen explains.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
So basically, they want a product with mass market appeal but since production cost is not expected to decrease much with improved manufacturing processes in the near future, they could just as well make that product today with available manufacturing processes.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Next holiday I can see the Series S being a very popular option for people that are casual players or have kids, especially if they bundle it with Game Pass or a popular game like Fortnite, Minecraft or Lego.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
they did it for me
re-jumping into the xbox ecosystem, thanks to my old ass 1080p tv screen, and Gamepass (I basically will have the entire Xbox One generation to enjoy waiting for brand new games), waiting for a slim PS5 model in a couple of years (too expensive and big for me, right now)
so a perfect mid-step from previous generation into the new one imho

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So how much is the Series S costing them out of the gate? Lots of good information in that article,

"I've read a lot of question on the internet, like, why isn't Microsoft going to continue Xbox One X as the low-end machine. Well, one thing is that it would last a long time through the generation and we felt that the new generation is defined by aspects such as the Xbox Velocity Architecture, and graphics features such as variable rate shading and ray tracing and the 4x processing performance boost on the CPU," counters Goossen. "And so we wanted to make sure that there was an entry level at the right price-point so that we could really advance the generation rather than hold it back. I've heard that Series S is going to hold back the next generation but I actually see Series S advancing it because by doing Series S we'll have more games written to the characteristics of the next generation."

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, but I still think it's a mistake. Best case scenario where it doesn't hold anyone back, it will look hilariously underpowered in 3 years' time.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
After early adopters and enthusiasts buy, I can definitely see the S being the most popular Xbox.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Gonna keep reading but I'm glad you did that second quote OP (I was going to before checking). I thought Moore's Law was almost dead because we hadn't seen that price reduction curve in consoles this generation, at least not as much in previous generation. And it makes sense that they'd just do an entry-level at the start of it's not there.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was noteworthy why Xbox didn't just keep Xbox One X as the low end console for next gen instead of designing the Series S.
"I've read a lot of question on the internet, like, why isn't Microsoft going to continue Xbox One X as the low-end machine. Well, one thing is that it would last a long time through the generation and we felt that the new generation is defined by aspects such as the Xbox Velocity Architecture, and graphics features such as variable rate shading and ray tracing and the 4x processing performance boost on the CPU," counters Goossen. "And so we wanted to make sure that there was an entry level at the right price-point so that we could really advance the generation rather than hold it back. I've heard that Series S is going to hold back the next generation but I actually see Series S advancing it because by doing Series S we'll have more games written to the characteristics of the next generation."

There's also the matter of economics too. Our understanding is that a shrink of the Xbox One X's Scorpio Engine processor wouldn't be easy, while the wide memory interface isn't easily rationalised for an entry-level product. Its 12GB of GDDR5 (with 12 DRAM modules on the mainboard) would also be very hard to reduce down.

"The other ironic thing is that we did look at Xbox One X and we couldn't get it down to the price-point we wanted to get, so I look at Xbox Series S and it's cheaper than Xbox One X, it would have all of these next-gen features and then in terms of graphics performance, well you guys know this, but the per-cycle improvements with the new RDNA 2 architecture are like a 25 per cent improvement. If we just do the back of the envelope math right now, 4TF brings you up to 5TF just according to that factor.

"And some of the data we're seeing with our content is suggesting that it's even better, and then when you think about other features of the new architecture that we've added like variable rate shading and FP16, you know, I think that could get us the additional 20 per cent to pretty much equal the performance for new games... and it's cheaper and you get all the other features that define the new generation. And so for me, it was an easy decision - let's go do this."

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I've heard that Series S is going to hold back the next generation but I actually see Series S advancing it because by doing Series S we'll have more games written to the characteristics of the next generation."
He is not wrong with this statement, because price on those new consoles won't come down as fast as with previous generations due RAM & SoC not decreasing in cost as much. This means price sensitive people are easier hooked with a console that starts out cheaper to begin with. More people owning next gen consoles means more publishers will leave behind last gen consoles like PS4/Xb1.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
A really interesting interview - while you can certainly argue with the wisdom of launching with two distinct SKUs, the logic laid out here is completely sound in terms of launching an entry level device now when you're not likely to see substantial cost reductions when it comes to the build cost.

I also think any reduction in the cost of SSDs will probably go towards a 1TB XSS and/or 2TB XSX before anything else.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've read a lot of question on the internet, like, why isn't Microsoft going to continue Xbox One X as the low-end machine. Well, one thing is that it would last a long time through the generation and we felt that the new generation is defined by aspects such as the Xbox Velocity Architecture, and graphics features such as variable rate shading and ray tracing and the 4x processing performance boost on the CPU," counters Goossen. "And so we wanted to make sure that there was an entry level at the right price-point so that we could really advance the generation rather than hold it back. I've heard that Series S is going to hold back the next generation but I actually see Series S advancing it because by doing Series S we'll have more games written to the characteristics of the next generation."

This is a really good explanation of the mid-to-longer-term advantage of having their lower-end offering still under the same technological framework, so those users benefit for longer. And something I still think is worth pointing out is that the Series S is a lower MSRP than either the 1X or Pro, and effectively the same price as the last-gen systems at retail.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
He is not wrong with this statement, because price on those new consoles won't come down as fast as with previous generations due RAM & SoC not decreasing in cost as much. This means price sensitive people are easier hooked with a console that starts out cheaper to begin with. More people owning next gen consoles means more publishers will leave behind last gen consoles like PS4/Xb1.
True and they gave a good explanation why they want to drop Xbox One X.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they did it for me
re-jumping into the xbox ecosystem, thanks to my old ass 1080p tv screen, and Gamepass (I basically will have the entire Xbox One generation to enjoy waiting for brand new games), waiting for a slim PS5 model in a couple of years (too expensive and big for me, right now)
so a perfect mid-step from previous generation into the new one imho
This is almost an exact copy of me :-)

Jul 25, 2020
Next holiday I can see the Series S being a very popular option for people that are casual players or have kids, especially if they bundle it with Game Pass or a popular game like Fortnite, Minecraft or Lego.

I actually thought that was the plan all along. As someone who works in retail the average customer comes into store thinking they're getting a more powerful console and a cheaper one with Series S. Okay it's not that simple and you do have to explain the difference but it shows that the confusion created with Series S and Series X is working in their favour because it has people talking. But I've also had enough conversations with parents explaining the difference between XBOX One S, XBOX One X, Series S and Series X and then the comparison to PlayStation. Being back in lock down thankfully I won't have to explain again for a while.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great article, shows MS have put alot of thought into this, they made the right choice. Once the games start rolling out, can see people jumping in a lot sooner then usual, especially when XSX price will most likely remain static for the foreseeable future.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This is a really good explanation of the mid-to-longer-term advantage of having their lower-end offering still under the same technological framework, so those users benefit for longer. And something I still think is worth pointing out is that the Series S is a lower MSRP than either the 1X or Pro, and effectively the same price as the last-gen systems at retail.

A cost of a One S, outside of any particular sale, is currently £250. That includes a 4K Blu-ray drive, but it does give you a sense of the value on offer.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
Were they really selling the Xbox 360 Core (no hard drive) at a $160 loss at the start of that generation? That's interesting.

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
This is interesting:

"So, one thing we did is we designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't," explains Andrew Goossen. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X.

"As you pointed out, on the One X, we had the asymmetry in terms of the fill and the vertex, we don't have that [here] and so ironically the S games run better on the Series S than they do on the Xbox One X. With so much headroom - you know, CPU and GPU - there's no real perf tuning necessary when you do this, and often it's just as easy as changing three lines of code and then the game just works. And even when it's not that easy, the fixes are still pretty minor. We had one triple-A title where doubling the frame-rate worked perfectly, except that the crowd animation was twice as fast as normal. And so those sorts of fixes are typically very, very easy for developers to go fix. And we're working with game developers and publishers to update - it'll basically be select games that run at a doubled frame-rate on the Series S."

It seems like back-compat titles on Series S will run them not like a One S (or One X of course), but their own settings?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
The One X explanation makes total sense, and I'm assuming Sony are finding the same thing with PS4 Pro, in fact I'm surprised that hasn't been discontinued yet.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Interesting, but I still think it's a mistake. Best case scenario where it doesn't hold anyone back, it will look hilariously underpowered in 3 years' time.
Will it really? It's already doing Ray tracing in games at 1080p. Some games are 120fps and it also a step up from the One X is every regard outside of available RAM.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I remain convinced that the S is a bad value long-term with very few exceptions.

Why? Because gPU-wise, 4TF for 299 is a way worse value than 12TF for 499.

Value per GPU teraflop:
XboxS: 13.3 Gigaflaps per $
XboxX: 24 Gigaflips per $

Based on GPU alone, the X is 1.8x the value. That's almost double. Now add in extra SSD, extra CPU and a BluRay drive and it's definitely double the value.

Now if you're 100% not going to upgrade your 1080p tv during the entire xboxS lifecycle, then maybe, MAYBE it makes sense. Or if you're giving it to that nephew that's playing it on a 22" screen, then sure, they won't notice the rez with a screen that tiny.

But outside of those cases, if you want an xbox and want long term value, get an X is my advice.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remain convinced that the S is a bad value long-term with very few exceptions.

Value per GPU teraflop:

Based on GPU alone, the X is 1.8x the value. That's almost double. Now add in extra SSD, extra CPU and a BluRay drive and it's definitely double the value.

Now if you're 100% not going to upgrade your 1080p tv during the entire xboxS lifecycle, then maybe, MAYBE it makes sense. Or if you're giving it to that nephew that's playing it on a 22" screen, then sure, they won't notice the rez with a screen that tiny.

But outside of those cases, if you want an xbox and want long term value, get an X is my advice.

Oh god.

Oct 25, 2017
Very insightful interview! Feature parity and lower upfront costs were a big part of the decision to design Series S instead of lowering Xbox One S/X prices. Also, they say something revealing for the next-gen of consoles. Silicon costs (Aka: Manufacturing process) are getting bigger and bigger, therefore, shrinks of consoles SoC to smaller nodes aren't going to reduce costs that much(Might even increase costs). Factor in the fact that RAM costs aren't decreasing by much over the years and i can see these consoles(And i'm including the PS5) maintaining theirs MSRP until the end of the gen.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting:

It seems like back-compat titles on Series S will run them not like a One S (or One X of course), but their own settings?
What was more interesting to me is that it sounds like the "doubling the framerate" technique/method the BC team created will apply to a greater number of BC games than I originally thought.

Oct 25, 2017

Value per GPU teraflop:

Regardless of what you think, all games coming to Microsoft Xbox Series will run on both Series S and Series X. Both have the same long-term value of playing games.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

Value per GPU teraflop:

>95% of people buying a console don't know what FLOPS are. Hell, I don't really know outside of it being used as a rough indicator of power - it's been a lonngggg time since I've done computer studies at school.

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
Finished it, great interview! As Rich says time will tell but I'm hoping that Series S really will be the same console that can only output at 1080p. And when they talked about 8 GB RAM being available to devs I couldn't help but be reminded of that being minimum specs on a lot of PC games now.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
Great read. Lots of really good info and perspective in there about their line of thinking when putting the machines together.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Value per GPU teraflop:

...Okay?

xem

Oct 31, 2017

Value per GPU teraflop:

now do this math with a digital edition ps5.

I completely agree though. Series S is not a great value in my eyes at all.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is a One X a "better" buy than a Series S?

No way. There are 4K games on the One X that won't run at 4K on the Series S, sure. But the Series S isn't a 4K console, it's aimed at 1080p users.

But even as a 4K user, if all my Xboxes broke today and the only replacement I was ever gonna get was a One X or a Series S I'd take the Series S every time. It's a next gen console with a next gen SSD and CPU and it'll run every next gen only game that will be leaving the One X in the dust. That's why the One X has been discontinued. It's £100 more expensive than the Series S and is outdated tech as of today.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The point about the cost reduction curve not giving them as much room is a really good point I hadn't thought about before.
Yeah, same. I guess it's the unfortunate reality of nearing the physical limits of fabrication. I wonder if that means these new consoles are going to hold pretty firm to their launch MSRP for longer than usual
A really interesting interview - while you can certainly argue with the wisdom of launching with two distinct SKUs, the logic laid out here is completely sound in terms of launching an entry level device now when you're not likely to see substantial cost reductions when it comes to the build cost.

I also think any reduction in the cost of SSDs will probably go towards a 1TB XSS and/or 2TB XSX before anything else.
Yeah, this interview really cemented the justification for the existence of the Xbox Series S. I'm even tempted to swap my Xbox One X for one, but that will depend on the delta we see between the Series S and the One X over the next year. I do not anticipate seeing any price drops any time soon, and I wonder if we'll still even get a 3 year mid-gen refresh

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So Series S is their 'cheaper X' only they're making it at launch because the X ain't getting a big price drop anytime soon?

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

Compared to what in this price bracket?

Or just buy what you can afford/need now and trade up to a more powerful option if and when you can afford/need it? You're acting like if you buy this thing, you're not allowed to upgrade.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So Series S is their 'cheaper X' only they're making it at launch because the X ain't getting a big price drop anytime soon?
That's what I took away from this. And I wonder what the implications are for mid-gen refreshes. Would they even be able to offer much more power without raising the starting price? I'm starting to think PS5 Pro and Xbox Series X2 will start at $599 this time

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
The adoption rate for 4K TVs and even moreso 120hz is pretty low and a lot of families are struggling financially, so it's great that there is a mass market device that targets that audience.

1080p/60fps is gonna be just fine for most consumers and Game pass is a great deal. Series S offers a new device this holiday season without being too expensive. Even though the PS5 DE is 399, the games are very expensive, so I don't think it is as mass market.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Value per GPU teraflop:

They aren't made for people thinking for long term value or $ per terraflop.

If those are anythoughts in your mind, you weren't the target market to begin with