• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Been waiting for this. Digital Foundry just published their initial impressions of Nvidia's new drivers which now support freesync monitors.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Been waiting for this. Digital Foundry just published their initial impressions of Nvidia's new drivers which now support freesync monitors.

This is great news and with VRR being pushed into the TV segment it just might mean it will be adopted industry wide.

Hopefully by 2021 we can start calling this a mainstream feature especially with the new consoles that will help out pushing this.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is great news and with VRR being pushed into the TV segment it just might mean it will be adopted industry wide.

Hopefully by 2021 we can start calling this a mainstream feature especially with the new consoles that will help out pushing this.

Nvidia didn't implement this for HDMI. It's DisplayPort only :/

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The big issue right now is that Gsync still isn't supported over HDMI. Not sure what's holding Nvidia up on that front.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm very impressed with it. Tried it last night on my Freesync monitor and the results were very impressive.

I'm happy with Nvidia for this and I hope they move forward with more pro-consumer features like this.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't figure out how to turn on Freesync on my Acer KG240A so I can't test this feature.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Freesync 2 monitors have a wider freesync range correct?

So you can go below 40 fps and still be ok?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have the latest driver? You don't see the options that are in this tutorial? What card do you have?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/333...c-monitor-support-geforce-graphics-cards.html

That's correct, the "Set Up Gsync" option is completely missing from the menu. I have a GTX 970 and the latest drivers.

Here's the issue: that Reddit thread (which I've seen previously) says Freesync on the KG240A only works over HDMI, but I have it connected via DisplayPort. But Gsync only works over DisplayPort. Is this the problem? That Freesync isn't active, therefore the Gsync option won't appear?

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
That's correct, the "Set Up Gsync" option is completely missing from the menu. I have a GTX 970 and the latest drivers.

Here's the issue: that Reddit thread (which I've seen previously) says Freesync on the KG240A only works over HDMI, but I have it connected via DisplayPort. But Gsync only works over DisplayPort. Is this the problem? That Freesync isn't active, therefore the Gsync option won't appear?
Ah, you probably need the HDMI connection to make it work. Do you have an HDMI cable around you can try?

EDIT: Wait, I completely missed that you have a 970. You need a 10 series GPU

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they test a better Freesync monitor in the future. One with a proper high refresh rate range and support for LFC.

Hardware Unboxed tested a wider range of Freesync displays with some outstanding results more appealing to high refresh rate PC gamers. Even showed off VRR with HDR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icJnTUAaB9Y

Overall take away it works as well as Freesync on an AMD GPU.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, you probably need the HDMI connection to make it work. Do you have an HDMI cable around you can try?

I'll try it when I get home, but I'm also about to build a new PC anyway with a Gsync monitor so this exercise is merely an experiment to see if it works on this particular monitor.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017

Does not work on your series of GPU. VRR only supported from 10 series and up.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nvidia didn't implement this for HDMI. It's DisplayPort only :/
The big issue right now is that Gsync still isn't supported over HDMI. Not sure what's holding Nvidia up on that front.

They did say to our editor at CES 2019 they might explore it in the future. I guess the best way in the meantime would be just to get the upcoming Alienware OLED which comes with a DisplayPort and should definitely work.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
People thinking this should work over HDMI with current Nvidia cards, I think the problem is that no current Nvidia cards use HDMI 2.1.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Glad it performs well, I have a freesync and G-Sync monitor but see no reason to use the Freesync one over the G-Sync one. Maybe when it's possible over HDMI.

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017
FreeSync over HDMI has nothing to do with this feature. That is a proprietary AMD extension to HDMI that's supported on particular displays and AMD GPUs.

Nvidia have added support for VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync. This is a DisplayPort feature. It's only supported on GTX 10xx and RTX 20xx GPUs because it requires DisplayPort 1.2a which was not available on earlier GPUs.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
FreeSync over HDMI has nothing to do with this feature. That is a proprietary AMD extension to HDMI that's supported on particular displays and AMD GPUs.

Nvidia have added support for VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync. This is a DisplayPort feature. It's only supported on GTX 10xx and RTX 20xx GPUs because it requires DisplayPort 1.2a which was not available on earlier GPUs.
I have a question about this. If all Nvidia did was support the basic VESA standard then how is it their driver seems to work great with AMD's Low Frame-Rate Compensation which is specific to Freesync (iirc)? It doesn't seem to me (no an expert by any means) that this isn't just a simple implementation of Adaptive-Sync.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
What does a theoretical 240hz 4k tv have to do with nvidia not supporting 1080p 120hz vrr via HDMI on 2019 televisions?

Because TVs do not have native Gsync support.
VRR is a HDMI 2.1 standard. It can updated through firmware update if Nvidia should do so.
The new LG OLEDs which come out this year should have higher resolutions. But maybe only 120hz still because of the panel.

Last edited:

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017

Venders can offer HDMI 2.1 VRR spec in HDMI 2.0b devices some TV's in 2019 will support VRR as outlined in HDMI 2.1 spec in their HDMI 2.0b only implementation.

HDMI Licensing Administrator talked about it with HDTVTest during their interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMmd5Cqy0Q

I'm sure Nvidia will support VRR over HDMI 2.0b, but it's understandable they don't support it out of the gate they might be waiting on HDMI Licensing and certification to be completed.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I get some gaming monitor recommendations? System is an i7 with a 980ti.

I can't go over 27" with my current setup (though this may change in the near future), and I'd like to keep it at or under $500.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they test a better Freesync monitor in the future. One with a proper high refresh rate range and support for LFC.

Hardware Unboxed tested a wider range of Freesync displays with some outstanding results more appealing to high refresh rate PC gamers. Even showed off VRR with HDR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icJnTUAaB9Y

Overall take away it works as well as Freesync on an AMD GPU.

Seconded. I had the same issue with Digital Foundry's Xbox One VRR video. They need to purchase 1-2 higher-range FreeSync2 monitors to test with.

Otherwise good job. And that takeway, I'll take one step further- moving forward there's no reason to pay the $150-400+ GSYNC tax if you are willing to do research into which FS displays work well.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017

I can't go over 27" with my current setup (though this may change in the near future), and I'd like to keep it at or under $500.

Won't work with 980 Ti you'll need to buy a GSYNC display. VRR support for Freesync displays is from 10 series and up.

Seconded. I had the same issue with Digital Foundry's Xbox One VRR video. They need to purchase 1-2 higher-range FreeSync2 monitors to test with.

Otherwise good job. And that takeway, I'll take one step further- moving forward there's no reason to pay the $150-400+ GSYNC tax if you are willing to do research into which FS displays work well.
Yup, their testing was terrible because they went with such a limited range display and pointed out all the issues of MS's implementation however if they had a Monitor or TV that actually supported large VRR like the Samsung TV's at 1440p @ 120Hz or countless Freesync monitors that support a large VRR they would have seen it works great together.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

This freesync stuff only works with 10/20-series cards, so you'd still need a g-sync branded panel

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Won't work with 980 Ti you'll need to buy a GSYNC display. VRR support for Freesync displays is from 10 series and up.

Yup, their testing was terrible because they went with such a limited range display and pointed out all the issues of MS's implementation however if they had a Monitor or TV that actually supported large VRR like the Samsung TV's at 1440p @ 120Hz they would have seen it works great together.
I agree with you, but the Samsung TVs don't have Displayport so they wouldn't work.