• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We're going to be hearing a LOT about variable rate shading as we transition into the next generation console era. But what is it? What are its strengths and weaknesses? Is it really a game-changer in terms of more efficient graphics rendering? Alex Battaglia assesses the technology based on two games we've seen using it so far... and talks about how it could be used in future.

summary forthcoming
  • Crysis Shrine because Dictator
  • old way: one to one per-pixel shading, but as resolution increase so did shading demands
  • no point in shading pixels that look the same, that's what VRS fixes
  • 2x2, 4x4, even 2x1/1x2 shading methods for vertically/horizontally long elements
  • VRS utilizes color, brightness, even speed via motion vectors to determine shading rate
  • a hardware supported feature, so it should be widely support
  • Wolfenstein has a really good VRS implementation
  • 10% more performance in Youngblood
  • Gears Tactic: 13%+ in on setting, 30%+ in performance setting
  • Gears Tactics has a harsher implementation
  • uses Tier 1 variant of VRS; more limited in how it can perceive and reduce shading
  • VRS here also affects the UI, which Wolf doesn't do
  • VRS isn't filtered, so devs has to add a filter themselves, will look pixelated otherwise
  • scenes in motion hide quality degredation
  • (Gears Tactics) 9% better performance on a 2070S in cutscenes, 10% in performance mode
  • less dark areas/less motion blur/etc, less VRS will help
  • VRS performance scales with VRAM limitation
  • reducing shading settings reduces VRS performance gains
  • models with super dense triangle count (triangles smaller than the pixels) make VRS less effective
  • that makes GPUs less efficient anyway
  • works well with dynamic res scaler and even more with mesh shaders
  • Gears Tactics is the easiest method of VRS
  • checkerboard rendering stems from techniques like CSAA/EQAA and has lead to massive gains in IQ and performance
  • taking advantage of VRS in non-standard ways could lead to major gains performance and IQ
  • thinks like screen space AO/reflections/ect could benefit
  • VRS-like techniques to improve lighting performance? could improve performance by 30%

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if Tactics is using Tier 1 as it's partnered with Intel during dev which is why it seems to be relatively bad in both perf and quality of VRS feature. Nice to see it confirmed.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm not sure if I understand completely, does this only apply to upscaling or are we using the term "shading" more loosely here?

How are we expected to know that the color of a pixel is close to the color of the pixel next to it before we well.. shade it and calculate the output color?

Edit: Listening a bit more -- so we are still effectively shading the pixel but telling the GPU not the render at pixel level blocks and GPU rasterization itself is faster for it I guess?

I guess I haven't been paying attention to modern GPU advancements but is fill rate really becoming that slow where its a problem? Sounds wild.

Last edited:

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if I understand completely, does this only apply to upscaling or are we using the term "shading" more loosely here?

How are we expected to know that the color of a pixel is close to the color of the pixel next to it before we well.. shade it and calculate the output color?

Edit: Listening a bit more -- so we are still effectively shading the pixel but telling the GPU not the render at pixel level blocks and GPU rasterization itself is faster for it I guess?

I guess I haven't been paying attention to modern GPU advancements but is fill rate really becoming that slow where its a problem? Sounds wild.
It is basically MSAA in which sub samples are used as final pixels.
MSAA allows changing which subsamples are shaded and thus shading rate is changed.

You can use previous image to find contrast areas and feed it to next frame or information from camera which distance is blurred by depth of field.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't look that impressive. ~10% gains for degraded quality picture? no thanks.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't look that impressive. ~10% gains for degraded quality picture? no thanks.
It really depend on where it's used and on post processes used with it.

In case of Gears tactics they do not seem to use any post blurring, so raw nearest neighbor like filtering will be visible.
For moving objects and areas affected by heavy post process blur the image degration is pretty much invisible.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Super interesting and as a shader programmer it's been something I've been thinking about for years, conceptually.
Like, the strength of the GPU and the parallellness of shaders are what allows us to have the level of graphics we have today, in real time, but the code is conceptually so incredibly naive. A cpu based program with a top down approach to rendering an image would do it so much more efficient and clever - but unfortunately way, way too slow. This technology seems like a first step towards a smarter shading process.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
you won't notice it much if the game is in motion or you are driving a car and so on
The problem is that Tier2 falls apart the most in motion (either quality or performance benefits).

Or maybe it's not a problem since most people's displays are terrible in motion as well and we're already hiding all kind of temporal shenanigans behind this. Will be fun when TVs finally adopt low-persistence refresh properly and make all older games look way worse...

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I remember reading there's an older version of this sort of idea applied on Maxwell GPU's.
EDIT: probably thinking about Tiled-Based Rendering. This is the next logical step

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading there's an older version of this sort of idea applied on Maxwell GPU's.
EDIT: probably thinking about Tiled-Based Rendering. This is the next logical step
Unrelated tech. The closest analogue to this is checkerboard rendering aka MSAA trick. But VRS is way more flexible and I do think that we've only seen what is essentially a very naive and cheap (in dev effort) implementation of the tech. Next gen engine built with VRS as a base feature will be able to extract much more than 10% of performance with no perceivable quality loss. Then there will likely be further h/w evolution on this, with tiers above 2 down the line.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It showed up to 30% gains with degraded image, though that's on tier 1. Tier 2 is supposedly better at identifying which pixels can have the shading reduced.

And that's just the initial results, and as the video says by the end Ms has already started researching how the vrs hardware can speed up other parts of the rendering pipeline one example is speeding up lighting calculations on a deferred renderer.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

By looking at the previous frame.
Basically you render the whole scene for a few frames, engine notices that it's missed its target render time and "deploys" VRS, VRS algorithm then takes the information from current frame and figures out the areas that can be adjusted, the shading of that area is then adjusted. This obviously means there may or may not be a slight drop in framerate when VRS comes into play but that is no different than how dynamic resolution works.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The problem is that Tier2 falls apart the most in motion (either quality or performance benefits).

Or maybe it's not a problem since most people's displays are terrible in motion as well and we're already hiding all kind of temporal shenanigans behind this. Will be fun when TVs finally adopt low-persistence refresh properly and make all older games look way worse...
Have you tried out a tier 2 implementation in a game? Even though there is a one frame latency between updates, I have yet to see a horrible problem occur from that actually in game.
Probably because the game that uses it, Wolf TNC and Youngblood, are not aggressive with the VRS even in the performance mode.

I think it is good to view VRS as banked variable performance and not flat performance all the time. Leave it on latent in the background and just take the wins as they are there. Either it helps or does not (too much).
The sparse lighting or sparse post-processing ideas presented at GDC seem like other similar wins where they will help a good amount of the time, but not all the time.

Like anything, profiling the game's performance is more important here than hoping the feature fixes all performance woes (unlike dynamic resolution scaling which is more of that).

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried out a tier 2 implementation in a game?
To be clear I wasn't arguing results will necessarily be visually bad. It's just dealing with the same problem temporal reconstruction and other methods have - if you go too aggressive relying on history you end up with more temporal artifacts. Using less - leads to less improvements (in this case performance benefits).
As long as we keep driving towards low-temporal resolution (displays and post-processing alike) it remains useful - but we really need heuristics that are less history dependent, assuming that's possible. Especially as it leaves things like VR/AR high and dry for most of these features/approaches. It also impacts being able to meaningfully utilize sampler-feedback etc.

I think it is good to view VRS as banked variable performance and not flat performance all the time. Leave it on latent in the background and just take the wins as they are there. Either it helps or does not (too much).
True, which makes it more applicable in variable hardware space, but when targeting fixed FPS/consoles, you have to optimize for worst case scenarios so 'variable optimizations' benefits tend to be more middling. But it's early days, and perhaps heuristics will evolve from the obvious approaches over time.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I seem to recall hearing it is not compatible with DLSS, is that the case for both tiers?

And what about dynamic resolution scaling?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The timing on this video was perfect for me, because I've been working my way through both Wolfenstein Young Blood and Gears Tactics, which represent probably the two extremes of more vs less "invisible" VRS implementations.

I seem to recall hearing it is not compatible with DLSS, is that the case for both tiers?

We know for sure VRS works with dynamic resolution scaling, because most (all?) of the games with support let them overlap without issue. For example in Gears Tactics, if you set a minimum framerate, that enables resolution scaling, which plays fine with VRS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

both are turned off if I remember correctly. DLSS would work better without any interpolated pixels since itself is a form of interpolation

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
yea, in a way, it was born from the research into foveated rendering. I think multi-res rendering ended up becoming this, which is why it only appeared in one game
Multi-res rendering has a fairly sizeable number of games shipped to date - though most of them are VR, and virtually none shipped on PC.
But afaik only one implementation actually has some similarities to VRS, is exclusive to a single hw-vendor, and possibly to a single hardware platform (not entirely sure on this last part).

Feb 10, 2018
Is this similar to foveated rendering, but minus the eye tracking?

The video explains it very well. But the difference with FR is that the image which is not the area of your visions focus is lower quality, but in VRS it degrades quality for things that dont require very high detail, like the sky, or the sides of the screen which are motion blurred when travelling very fast or darker areas.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
The timing on this video was perfect for me, because I've been working my way through both Wolfenstein Young Blood and Gears Tactics, which represent probably the two extremes of more vs less "invisible" VRS implementations.

We know for sure VRS works with dynamic resolution scaling, because most (all?) of the games with support let them overlap without issue. For example in Gears Tactics, if you set a minimum framerate, that enables resolution scaling, which plays fine with VRS.
That's great! I look forward to playing Gears Tactics this summer.

both are turned off if I remember correctly. DLSS would work better without any interpolated pixels since itself is a form of interpolation
Yeah, I was just wondering if the "hallucination" would be affected in any meaningful way by the quality reduction. But I don't think there's any games or demos that use both yet.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multi-res rendering has a fairly sizeable number of games shipped to date - though most of them are VR, and virtually none shipped on PC.
But afaik only one implementation actually has some similarities to VRS, is exclusive to a single hw-vendor, and possibly to a single hardware platform (not entirely sure on this last part).
there was only one non-vr game that used it, Shadow Warrior 2. seemed to have worked well

Yeah, I was just wondering if the "hallucination" would be affected in any meaningful way by the quality reduction. But I don't think there's any games or demos that use both yet.
it would probably result in more blocky shading since VRS is already creating large blocks. since DLSS works at the end of the render pipeline, there's not much they can go throw and reorder things

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The more I learn about VRS the more excited I get about it. It seems like one of those beautiful resource saving features that when used well almost feels like a free performance gain. Next gen consoles should benefit greatly from this.