• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
A bit disappointed that they didn't get some hands on impressions.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting news about the smaller battery. Seems like Mariko has a significant power saving.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the Lite had the same battery as the OG Switch. Such a bummer they didn't go with it :(

Oct 27, 2017
Device-wise, Nintendo outlasted the 2010's - a decade that gave everyone a tablet just as their USP short-range-tablet-based console was going live, and would be eclipsed in power by two console competitors the next year. A decade that also gave everyone essentially a tablet in their pocket, running the most popular game with the broadest appeal in years. And while Nintendo caught up somewhat with a "hybrid" console, the dream of taking games on the go was still stirring inside of people who didn't see the Switch as that next great portable.

So here we are just short of 2020, and people (including my kid) are salivating over an upcoming handheld gaming-only device, which is essentially a smaller version of something they already have and is just as portable. Plus (mostly) in the grand tradition of handhelds, playing Zelda and Pokemon on the go continues to be a current contemporary activity. Pretty amazing.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Ok so let's say this quiet revision with Mariko chip will be released which is given at this point. It could have better battery life due to 16nm but Nintendo will need to say this. So they will separate this models like Nintendo Switch (2017), Nintendo Switch (2019) ?

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Ok so let's say this quiet revision with Mariko chip will be released which is given at this point. It could have better battery life due to 16nm but Nintendo will need to say this. So they will separate this models like Nintendo Switch (2017), Nintendo Switch (2019) ?
I think I read that they will be available as new colors which might limit confusion? I could be wrong but I thought I read it in another thread.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
My biggest fear here is that the Switch 2019 is only going to be available in some wonky colours with no straight black or grey option, meaning I'll be stuck with my day 1 version.

I'd love to upgrade, but not if there's no black/grey option available. Really hoping it's not only coloured options.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused about them saying there was no evidence of any GPU boost found in the firmware:

This is one of the sources they relied on in the video. Are they taking that to mean he's just referring to the higher max clock? If so, wouldn't that be the same for both the Lite and the "new" model?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think so. Just a new serial number on the box.

I'd actually like to see them boost the OG docked clocks to match the refresh though as the tegra x1 can go higher.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Just a new serial number on the box.

I'd actually like to see them boost the OG docked clocks to match the refresh though as the tegra x1 can go higher.

They would probably have to list it on their website, where it currently lists the battery life for the 2017 Switch.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They would probably have to list it on their website, where it currently lists the battery life for the 2017 Switch.

Yeah I'm just saying it'll be like the PS4 sku revisions. Just a new serial number. Yeah they're marketing will reflect the new battery life of the new 2019/2020 model. It's not going to get a new name at all.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I know you can't dock it, but I wonder if this will work on the Lite:

71j7JiRmdhL._SL1500_.jpg

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
Doubtful, unless the Lite actually has the displayport adapter (inside the Switch Lite) which it probably doesn't have as that would be an extra useless component that they'd save money by cutting.

Maybe both models will reuse similar components do save costs?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I know you can't dock it, but I wonder if this will work on the Lite:

71j7JiRmdhL._SL1500_.jpg

The Lite would be perfect if it did, but Nintendo would've said it. More likely the Lite isn't specced to support Docked profile.

One casualty of the Lite imo will be local multiplayer. Games like Smash Bros and Splatoon are going to suffer when the Lite exceeds the OG Switch's install base.

I'm really torn on the move to un-switch the Switch. The joycons needed to go but yanking TV-out is a bridge too far.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
The Lite would be perfect if it did, but Nintendo would've said it. More likely the Lite isn't specced to support Docked profile.

One casualty of the Lite imo will be local multiplayer. Games like Smash Bros and Splatoon are going to suffer when the Lite exceeds the OG Switch's install base.

I'm really torn on the move to un-switch the Switch. The joycons needed to go but yanking TV-out is a bridge too far.

I still hope the functionality is not cut out completely. That they just want to make it clear it does not come with dock and it won't work on your current dock either.

(I want to believe)

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
There's probably no video output on the USB c port. Although if there is, the switch lite will probably not get the performance boost that the normal docked switch benefits from. This would mean a handheld 720p graphics output.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I still hope the functionality is not cut out completely. That they just want to make it clear it does not come with dock and it won't work on your current dock either.

(I want to believe)

Ideally you could just use a usb-c -> HDMI cable. I don't even want the dock tbh. But I don't think Nintendo would hide it if the Lite supported it. My guess is the Lite doesn't have adequate cooling to allow for the 1080p upclocked mode.

So... basically I'm gonna wait and hope Nintendo gets their mind right and does the hardware revision I actually want.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
Ideally you could just use a usb-c -> HDMI cable. I don't even want the dock tbh. But I don't think Nintendo would hide it if the Lite supported it. My guess is the Lite doesn't have adequate cooling to allow for the 1080p upclocked mode.

So... basically I'm gonna wait and hope Nintendo gets their mind right and does the hardware revision I actually want.

But a plain USB-C -> HDMI can't plug the power at the same time. We need at least a hub like the picture.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

I think there is very little chance the Lite exceeds the base Switch install base. It would need to sell ~35mil + whatever the base Switch/improved battery Switch sells from here on out. That seems unlikely. I don't even think Switch Lite will outsell the standard Switch from launch onward

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think there is very little chance the Lite exceeds the base Switch install base. It would need to sell ~35mil + whatever the base Switch/improved battery Switch sells from here on out. That seems unlikely. I don't even think Switch Lite will outsell the standard Switch from launch onward

oh man, I think the Lite is gonna be a huge hit. $200 is almost irresistible even to me who isn't thrilled with Nintendo's decisions.