• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Honestly a more expensive price wouldn't surprise me since it seems like both companies are trying to delay as long as possible to try to give the economy as much time as they can to recover before announcing something like a $499 or $599 console. If they were smart they would both launch some sort of monthly all in one price that includes the console and their respective online offering (PS Plus or Game Pass) with 0% financing. A lot of people would be more than happy to purchase a console with PS Plus for something like $25 a month for 2 years that then converts to a lower amount once the console itself is paid off.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, 499 is going to be the bare minimum for series x/ps5. If it was lower, they would have revealed the price ages ago.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
The longer they stay quiet the more it's gonna stink

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
If the Bloomberg $450 BOM report is even close to being true for PS5 its an impossibility it costs more than $500. Also there's no way they'd be planning to ship more than 10M this fiscal year if it costs $600. Series X I have no idea, if the BOM is much more than PS5 it could be close to $600 but I doubt it. Both will probably be the same price, unless one company takes a big risk.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The point about phones is really solid. I don't understand why people are excited to drop nearly a thousand bucks on the newest flagship model, but balk at a similar price for a console they'll use for nearly a decade.

Because phones are more essential than a console.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
Here is my prediction: adoption this hardware round is going to possibly be even slower than the PS360 gen

Big notable games are coming slower and slower as time goes on, and that was before the pandemic. Meanwhile, you have stuff like the growth of the PC market, Nintendo's resurgence, and the persistence/maturation (as is such) of mobile. Add to that a big economic downturn thanks to aforementioned pandemic, and I think Microsoft and Sony are both tugging anxiously at their collar about what happens next.

Not saying anyone is doomed, but I doubt we're going to be taking off with a bang the way the PS4 did

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest reason to doubt this is House's belief that this should be their fastest transition to next gen yet for players. At that price point absolutely not. I think the upper bound for pricing is £499.99, I expect 449 or 429 like the XB1 was on launch at least for the digital edition.

Oct 30, 2017
The point about phones is really solid. I don't understand why people are excited to drop nearly a thousand bucks on the newest flagship model, but balk at a similar price for a console they'll use for nearly a decade.
Consumers still view this stuff differently.

I view a cell phone as a non-luxury item. According to Apple I've got about 6 hours a day of screentime on the thing. I use it for everything. Work, research, entertainment, traveling, navigation, pictures, communication, and more. If I'm going to spend money on a phone, I may as well make it a good one.

Also, a lot of people do 0% financing for 30 bucks a month or so and so that large upfront cost is hidden.

My biggest reason to doubt this is House's belief that this should be their fastest transition to next gen yet for players. At that price point absolutely not. I think the upper bound for pricing is 499.99.
This is a good point, too.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
1. Phones are more necessary and people do more with them.

2. The average smartphone buyer doesn't upgrade every cycle, usually keeping phones for around three or four years. A not insignificant proportion of phone users keep them for longer.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they price the cheaper SKU at 499, then the narrative will be PS5 at $499. Just like how the PS3 had a cheaper version that no one seems to remember.

ps3-launch.jpg

No one remembers because the manufacture split was so great you could not find the 20gb ps3

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I could see it...the consoles were drafted during a time when everyone thought 2020 will be just as good a year as the prior years.

People hd no problem paying 400€ for a better ps4 version...why wouldn't they be ready to pay 600 for next gen? In a time when nintendo can sell you a 330€ "underpowered" piece of tech? Well 2020 ain't that kind of a year unfortunatly.

I could see them being designed will the original goal of 600

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
There's no way they're going to sell them at $600. The 1TB models are going to be between $399-$499.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
No one remembers because the manufacture split was so great you could not find the 20gb ps3

Yup. 20gig PS5 was so rare it might as well have not existed, at least in the US. I've never seen a new one in the wild at all, even on amazon.

There's no way they're going to sell them at $600. The 1TB models are going to be between $399-$499.

you're not getting a $399 PS5. A PS4 in 2020 dollars would launch at nearly $450 and the PS5 is *far* more advanced relative to the market.

Oct 30, 2017
I think at the very least if the PS5 was 399$ they would announce already - as with the hype the system has that price would move regardless of if Ms undercut (which the wouldn't at that price). So 499 is bare minimum imo - 599 most likely, 699 possible
Sony is working on a schedule for their events and reveals.
They will reveal when its time.

And its been reported that Sony and MS are flexible on pricing. They will eat losses if needed. Key word is "if".
They don't want to be outpriced and they also don't want to take large losses.

And I think $699 is absolutely not on the table.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't help that Sony killed 20gb off by April 2007

www.google.com

PlayStation 3: A Timeline

When Ken Kutaragi resigned Thursday as head of Sony’s gaming group, it marked the end of an era that began over a decade ago when Sony wowed the world with the original PlayStation. Here’s a timeline charting the ups and downs in the life of Kutaragi’s dream machine. – Rob Beschizza and Chris...

Poop I was trying to edit a post. I am not good with computer erm phone thingy.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Thats really not comparable at all. The prices of those are not a months rent for a small house. You're essentially proving my point. They're selling out because they're affordable and a good time killer. Ticking both of those boxes is whats making them sell well right now.

I would kill for a small house that's $600/month.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the fact we have a 7 page thread and another saying $600 is too expensive for most people I'd say people care about $50. If $50 isnt a big deal why would another $50 be such a big deal ($499 vs $599)? People probably correlate the $50 as allowing them to nearly buy a game.

I mean another $50 would be a big deal because it would be $100, not $50?

I can see a $100 difference being much more impactful than a $50 one, in whichever direction it end up being, if any

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
$600 is just way way to much. $500 is a pill I can swallow but at $600 a pop I would only be buying one at launch and... sorry xbox...

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
There's just no way I can justify spending $600 on this at launch.
Even at $500, they'd have to be offering something very compelling for me to bite.
$400 and it's a no brainer, IMO.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not in dollars since I'm in UK but our currency isn't that far apart anymore and our price will likely be the same as yours for the system. I'm living in a place costing me £590, 2 bedrooms though one is more like a cupboard and every room is tiny. Still if they shoot for $600 we will likely get £600, or at very best £550 so it's going to be as good as a months rent for me.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

Move to a small Midwestern town. I live about 20 minutes out from a major city and my mortgage is like $340 a month. That includes my home owners insurance. Your not going to find prices that low nowadays (bought it back in 2012) but you can easily stay under $600 for a pretty nice house.

Oct 27, 2017
When was the first PS3 price cut?

I feel like i'd pay $499 and my first reaction was $599 was probably too much, but it is only $100 (that I am fortunate to be able to afford now) and a price drop probably won't come anytime soon, so...

Then again, I have no idea what games are coming at launch. Waiting a year still might be the move.

Alienware

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Italy
I'm budgeting for 500 (euros) and will just wait for the price of PS5 to match that if it's more expensive.
I still think I'll be able to buy it day one though. I understand DF's reasoning and I trust them, but I expect both Sony and Microsoft to be prepared to sell at a loss if needs be.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Maybe not in dollars since I'm in UK but our currency isn't that far apart anymore and our price will likely be the same as yours for the system. I'm living in a place costing me £590, 2 bedrooms though one is more like a cupboard and every room is tiny. Still if they shoot for $600 we will likely get £600, or at very best £550 so it's going to be as good as a months rent for me.

Median rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in the US is nearly $1100.

Nationally, one and two-bedroom 2018 rents rose steadily, faltered in the third quarter, and then trended higher. The national median rent for one-bedrooms rose 4.1 percent, ending the year at $1,078. Rents for two-bedroom apartments stood at $1,343 in December reflecting a solid 5.5 percent gain.

www.abodo.com

US Average Rent — 2019 Review: America's Top Rent Report | ABODO

US average rent prices fluctuated in many ways throughout 2019. Did renters find relief? Did landlords earn more money? Here's what really happened in 2019.

you're in a major metro area where housing is in demand (NY, LA) it will be significantly higher than this. $590 for a 2BR isn't happening in anywhere but the most remote and undesirable areas.

Oct 27, 2017
Is that really a surprise? I mean if they were lower then they would have been announced already, neither company wants to drop the bomb first, IMO.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you don't mean this:

www.bloomberg.com

Sony Is Struggling With PlayStation 5 Price Due to Costly Parts

Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing costs for Sony Corp.’s next PlayStation to around $450 per unit, forcing a difficult price-setting decision in its battle with Microsoft Corp., according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Bloomberg reported the PS5 to be 470...retail. With the BOM being 450.

Zhuge had the Series X BOM higher than PS5. All speculation of course.

I was talking about that report, but the speculative pricing at 500-550 was actually in the April report, not February.

www.bloomberg.com

Sony Plans Limited PlayStation 5 Output in First Year

Sony Corp. plans to produce far fewer units of its upcoming PlayStation 5 in its first year than it had for the previous-generation console’s launch, according to people familiar with the matter.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Median rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in the US is nearly $1100.

www.abodo.com

US Average Rent — 2019 Review: America's Top Rent Report | ABODO

US average rent prices fluctuated in many ways throughout 2019. Did renters find relief? Did landlords earn more money? Here's what really happened in 2019.

you're in a major metro area where housing is in demand (NY, LA) it will be significantly higher than this. $590 for a 2BR isn't happening in anywhere but the most remote and undesirable areas.
Sure. But theres more to the world than the US. Its fine if its not as much of a dent for your average costs there but thats not going to be the case elsewhere and the 500 mark is already pushing it for a number of parts of the world.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
If the Bloomberg $450 BOM report is even close to being true for PS5 its an impossibility it costs more than $500. Also there's no way they'd be planning to ship more than 10M this fiscal year if it costs $600. Series X I have no idea, if the BOM is much more than PS5 it could be close to $600 but I doubt it. Both will probably be the same price, unless one company takes a big risk.

This is exactly where I'm at as well. Bloomberg is usually pretty clued in to these type of things and the fact I haven't heard significant push back to that makes me think they weren't far "off" in regards to their reporting on this. Obviously things over this year have complicated things, but parts and contracts had already been agreed upon well before any of this. Also, upping the planned shipped numbers to 10 million makes even less sense if they're planning to sell a $600 console during Covid times.

My opinion: $399 digital and $499 standard (willing to eat more of a loss to entice people to go digital). Also think this weird game of chicken will in the end force Microsoft and Playstation to basically price lower as well. Gotta get people in your ecosystem so you can bank on those never ending subs and microtransactions numbers.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Sure. But theres more to the world than the US. Its fine if its not as much of a dent for your average costs there but thats not going to be the case elsewhere and the 500 mark is already pushing it for a number of parts of the world.

your complaint here is nonsensical, given that Sony sells the system and software in the developed world for what is essentially the same cost. They don't charge wildly different prices for the PS4 in the US than they do in the EU or JP. It's on par. (AU tends to be higher due to shipping costs, just as HI is so its in a slightly different category.)

There is some variance in spending power, but not much. Sure there are places where this isn't true- but sony is not going to be targeting a new system launch in those territories. In those areas they will still be pushing the PS4.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Holy fuck this point has always been bad and I don't know why it keeps being perpetuated. When I get a phone I don't pay $1000 at launch, I get it on a contract where $25 is added to my monthly phone bill. If Sony and Microsoft do that, then they can do whatever they want. Until then, they're asking you to have that money upfront.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
your complaint here is nonsensical, given that Sony sells the system and software in the developed world for what is essentially the same cost. They don't charge wildly different prices for the PS4 in the US than they do in the EU or JP. It's on par. (AU tends to be higher due to shipping costs, just as HI is so its in a slightly different category.)

There is some variance in spending power, but not much. Sure there are places where this isn't true- but sony is not going to be targeting a new system launch in those territories. In those areas they will still be pushing the PS4.

I've literally just given you my rent price and the likely converted price of the system going by our typical price conversions. Nonsense how?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
In srping 1999, it was estimated PS2 would cost $850 in 2000, which the AP put out but it was a misstranslation.

I think PS5 and Series X will both be $500

May 25, 2019
London
I feel like people here have been downplaying the cost this entire time, with a large portion of users on "Team $399". Ever think there is a reason that neither company wants to be the first one to announce price? Maybe it's because there will be an initial negative reaction as people come to grips with a $599 SKU in a pandemic

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I've literally just given you my rent price and the likely converted price of the system going by our typical price conversions. Nonsense how?

The takeaway isn't that the price of the PS5 at $599 is unrealistic for where Sony will be selling the system, the takeaway is that your rent price is.