• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yup, makes sense. I guess it just comes down to how strongly they value having people move over to digital and what the numbers look like in terms of used games purchased / console etc etc. If i was Sony, i would be doing everything in my power to make the digital version as enticing as possible to really push people to it.

Yup yup, just depends on Sony's priorities which of course we don't really know.
My hunch is that they really don't need to push hard to get people to go digital, people are already doing that in droves voluntarily in the current gen. But who nose! So intriguing, waiting is killing me.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
Most people can't afford that. If we are seeing $600 machines, expect sales to be low and a massively long cross gen period.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'd still pay $600 but I wouldn't be as happy about it. $600 is about my upper limit for a console though, which is sad because I consistently spend over that on graphics cards for PC.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it will be interesting to see. Personally if i was Sony, i would launch both with a $100 difference to accelerate getting people locked into digital and then by mid-cycle completely remove the disc version citing some sort of stat about how few people still buy discs and then you can really start getting aggressive with pricing knowing everyone buying cheap is all in on digital.

This sounds like a pretty great idea from the business perspective if they can get away with it, even if its only in certain territories. But I'd absolutely hate it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Do you really think $50 is a big deal when you are deciding between $550 and $600 or $450 and $500? At that price, i just don't see enough reason for most people to not continue to just get the disc version knowing they will therefore have the ability to keep buying used games.
A lot of people don't buy used games anyway. I'm all digital so I'd take a cheaper sku, the drive is useless to me. Sales are good enough these days on PSN I haven't felt the need to buy a used game in like 5 years.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Seeing how powerful both consoles are the 599$ price point doesn't seem bananas when a PC at similar specs cost more than twice.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
A difference of 50 bucks between PS5 and PS5 DE is unrealistic because people would say "for 50 bucks more i get the disc drive so i will buy this one"

there will be minimum 100 bucks difference, if not more to get people either buying the "cheaper" PS5 (but they will pay more because digital only in the long term) or the higher priced normal PS5.

So far all signs point to PlayStation continuing what worked with the PS4 ie sell near cost. BOM on a disk drive is like $20. There's no need to have the two versions have a significantly different BOM-MSRP ratio. Be it one at a significant loss or one at a significant profit or whatever.

They would have to ship with a $60 game in every disk box to justify a $100 price difference. The PS5 doesn't have a Wii Sports(a game that 99% of console buyers want) so that's probably not the best idea.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
While of course they are 110% more clued in to the industry than I am, I'm curious what drastically changed the price-point from this Bloomberg article from February? They expected costs to be about $450ish. Of course Covid difficulties could impact this, but I highly doubt the contracts and things they already had in place could change THAT drastically. Typically console makers take a loss on initial hardware sales and I totally expect that to be the case once again this time around with the rise of digital sales and the importance of locking people to their ecosystem.

I'm still expecting a $399 digital edition and perhaps a $499 standard PS5.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
I'm more surprised Microsoft hasn't put out a tier of gamepass/gold that includes a console purchase / lease and lead with that instead of putting a big $500/$600 buy in.

Yea seriously, MS is putting free gamepass trials in bubblegum and pop tarts boxes. Give a 1 year of gamepass with every Series X to entice people, it's their most effective weapon in the console wars.

OP
OP
Meus Renaissance
Oct 28, 2017
If they price the cheaper SKU at 499, then the narrative will be PS5 at $499. Just like how the PS3 had a cheaper version that no one seems to remember.

ps3-launch.jpg

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
My assumptions:
  • The same way that Sony took a bigger hit on the $499 version of the launch PS3, they'll take a bigger loss on the PS5D. So even though the disk drive only costs $20 or whatever, I think we'll see a $100 price difference between skus (and the disk version will be much easier to get).
  • Then, with Lockhart, my guess is that MS is saving like $125 between the disk drive and the die size / RAM (6gb x $7 = $42 on ram, $20 on the disk drive, and $60 on the APU). But at the end of the day they'll only be willing to eat an additional $75 of loss on Lockhart, similar to Sony and the PS5D. So I guess Lockhart will be $200 less than XSX. (Could they drop the controller and get down another $50?)
  • Finally, I'm guessing XSX and PS5 will cost the same amount (Xbox's excess APU cost will be offset by PS5's more expensive SSD). And given that I don't see a lot of insiders disputing $600, I think that might be the price. (MS and Sony wouldn't be playing these pricing games if they felt comfortable just coming in at $499 for their consoles, I don't think.)
So that puts us at:
  • XSX/PS5 = $599
  • PS5D = $499
  • XSS = $399

I agree with you for the most part, but I think the XSS will be cheaper than you think. Some points to consider (first two are probable, the last one is more rumor at this point):
  1. Leaks from insiders suggest that it is smaller than the XSX (that whole thing about being carried around inside XSX or Xbox OneX cases to hide the form factor). The smaller it is the cheaper it will be to package, ship, and store which will result in supply chain savings
  2. Given what has been leaked about the APU it will draw significantly less power than the XSX/PS5 which means savings on cooling and power supply
  3. It has been suggested that the XSS is intended for 1080p gaming, and may play the Xbox One S versions of games for backwards compat via smart delivery. If this is the case a 1 TB SSD is super overkill, even for a digital console. This is especially true if it supports the same external upgrades as the XSX. They may reduce the internal SSD size to 500GB (or maybe less)
Taking those three into account will easily get another $50 off the BOM or more.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
This sounds like a pretty great idea from the business perspective if they can get away with it, even if its only in certain territories. But I'd absolutely hate it.
Oh i definitely hate it too but i just think that is how it will play out. I feel like both console makers want to get rid of discs completely and lock everyone into their stores. What complicates that is of-course the relationship with retailers like Game Stop and Best Buy and Amazon, the last two which i'm sure make a good amount of $ from game sales. Maybe they could work with some online retailers to offer some sort of like referral payment to entice them to still have their games be on the site. Who knows.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LOL

This is going to be the reverse of the Switch price reveal. It's going to be a reasonable price that will look like ridiculously good value because everyone has pumped up the expectations.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Probably what both would like, but that doesn't mean they'd actually do it, which is why they are both silent, I don't see either going above 500, they'll just eat the loss and let the networks do the heavy lifting.

It would definitely be the final nail in the coffin regarding next gen for me, absolutely no interest at that price anytime soon, especially with early-mid 2021 looking real barren, due to Covid destroying whatever was planned.

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
If they price the cheaper SKU at 499, then the narrative will be PS5 at $499. Just like how the PS3 had a cheaper version that no one seems to remember.

ps3-launch.jpg
...But the narrative surrounding the PS3 wasn't that it was a $499 console, it was Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars. There's a reason no one talks about the $499 PS3, it was overshadowed by its big brother. If there are $549/$599 or even $499/$599 consoles, $599 will be the narrative surrounding the PS5.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I thought it would be between $550 and $599 but a lot of people were insisting on $400-$450. I guess we'll find out soon.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RE: the big problem with the digital edition is that retailers will demand a substantially higher margin than the disc edition, since (in theory) the retailer would be able to make their money selling discs (which obviously won't happen with the digital edition). Therefore, I do think predictions that the initial price difference between the disc and digital will be higher than US$50 is extremely naive, since the retailers will demand a higher margin before they stock the SKU in the first place.

Oct 31, 2017
499€ would already be too expensive... But that would explain even more why MS decided to make the XSS as well.

That would also explain why both Sony and MS won't commit to a price lol

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While of course they are 110% more clued in to the industry than I am, I'm curious what drastically changed the price-point from this Bloomberg article from February? They expected costs to be about $450ish. Of course Covid difficulties could impact this, but I highly doubt the contracts and things they already had in place could change THAT drastically. Typically console makers take a loss on initial hardware sales and I totally expect that to be the case once again this time around with the rise of digital sales and the importance of locking people to their ecosystem.

I'm still expecting a $399 digital edition and perhaps a $499 standard PS5.
The world economy collapsing would be a big factor in a change in cost between February and now.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
So around 920$ CAD tax in. I don't think I can afford both consoles at launch again this time around.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
So far all signs point to PlayStation continuing what worked with the PS4 ie sell near cost. BOM on a disk drive is like $20. There's no need to have the two versions have a significantly different BOM-MSRP ratio. Be it one at a significant loss or one at a significant profit or whatever.

They would have to ship with a $60 game in every disk box to justify a $100 price difference. The PS5 doesn't have a Wii Sports(a game that 99% of console buyers want) so that's probably not the best idea.

Isn't it expected to be shipping with Astro's Playground?

600 would leave the systems pretty much doa in a pandemic.

They might not sell as quickly, but they'll still sell. New console bug will get a lot of people, especially if they can play their PS4/XB1 games.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think the custom SSD would add a significant cost for the PS5?
No. There's a custom controller chip in PS5, yeah, but it's likely to be cheap in production and XSX will have to use an SSD controller too for its SSD storage so the only difference is that PS5's custom one will likely have higher R&D costs to amortize over the length of the gen. Flash itself is just your ordinary MLC or TLC flash for both.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The biggest indicator of a near $600 price tag is both being reluctant to talk about price.

If the price of both regular editions was like $479 I think someone would've budged by now. The fact both are staying very quiet is what is suggesting the manufacturers aren't comfortable with the price either.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
A lot of people don't buy used games anyway. I'm all digital so I'd take a cheaper sku, the drive is useless to me. Sales are good enough these days on PSN I haven't felt the need to buy a used game in like 5 years.
Yup, makes sense. I admit i view things in the vacuum of me and my friends and how we buy our games, but i don't think i've actually seen anywhere what % of people still actually buy used games. If the number is something small like 10% or less of games are used then it probably doesn't make sense for Sony to worry about driving people aggressively.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Sony, and I imagine MS, will have had a target price when speeding the console out. There is no way they would have been targeting $600.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that. Which is why I'm saying it wouldn't make sense to only make it $50 cheaper than the disc version when there is much more value to Sony to have someone locked into an all digital console. You would think they would make the price difference bigger to entice more people to get that one.
They can't really make the price difference bigger because the disc drive itself doesn't cost much, the cost of the console isn't lowered much at all by removing it.

Jan 4, 2018
My pessimistic guess:

PS5: 549
XSX: 549 (starting at 32,99 with All Access)

PS5 DE: 499 or 479
XSS: 399 (starting at 26,99 with All Access)

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The world economy collapsing would be a big factor in a change in cost between February and now.
More specifically, transport capacity has shrunk dramatically, which means transporting large quantities of goods is significantly more expensive this time last year. Large part of the reason why I think $399 is off the table.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017

A) Contracts for parts would have been well negotiated and agreed upon well before the collapse. And this article is from February where places around the world were already feeling the effects of Covid.
B) Seems if the economy is collapsing I would read the room and not gouge the price and piss off the consumers you need to actually buy the thing so you can make money.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can definitely see Sony and Microsoft both delaying until March because of economic reasons. If the U.S. government doesn't provide a second round of stimulus checks for Americans, things are gonna be financially really bad in arguably their most important market for a fall release.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
After the lukewarm news cycle feels like lowering expectations so that people get hyped when the price is announced at $500

Kirudo

May 1, 2020
Next-gen in LATAM is goodbye at 500 bucks as well, isn't going to be extremely expensive too?

It depends on the country, Argentina and Venezuela are ruled out, with the majority of prices.

The problem is that due to Covid, our currencies have devalued quite a bit and Sony does not use regional prices.