• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda how I feel. I'm on the Xbox One X with a external SSD. The stutters and hitches are getting worse.

I'm going to try completely shutting the game and my PS4 off and playing it from a fresh boot and see if that clears up any of the stickiness, because trying to parry shit on Dathomir is impossible when the console seems to be skipping every couple of frames.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
the game unfortunately also performs poorly on the Pro, stuttering and hitching is prevalent throughout the whole game with a few areas better than others

SSD doesn´t help with this
The game has definitely I/O issues but it doesn't seems perform poorly in the quality mode on the pro. Or at least it's what it has been reported from different sources on youtube. VGtech is another one who provides many statistics to prove it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm i might move to internal then. I have some stutters sometimes. Nothing crazy yet.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I doubt the stalls are just File I/O related btw. Obviously a weak HDD compounds the problem but the troubles here likely go deeper.

I'll just say there is a recent thread on tech-artist.org that touches on what I would expect to be the actual cause.
What means 'just'? It's quite evident the stalls are I/O issues (as Control). That's the final 'effect' not the initial cause. Which is another story and more complicate (I guess) to find out.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
So glad I figured out my PC issues as I almost was about to pick this up on X. After disabling cloud saves and the Origin overlay it's been a buttery smooth experience (with only slight stutters entering new areas).

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the stalls are just File I/O related btw. Obviously a weak HDD compounds the problem but the troubles here likely go deeper.

I'll just say there is a recent thread on tech-artist.org that touches on what I would expect to be the actual cause.
What's the point of this if you won't elaborate or give a link to what you're talking about?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I must have massive I/O issues on my PS4 Pro then, since it stutters like crazy for some time before stabilizing. :(

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the game but on the third planet with lots of vegetation it is running like shit on my pro. It just soft locked for the first time in a hard encounter. I hope a patch comes soon

moerser

Oct 29, 2017
anybody here with at least similar specs as me?
i7 6700k, 1080, 16gb ddr4.
will i be able to get 1080p/60 without sacrificing too much iq?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
File I/O speed refers to the rate of accessing (and manipulating) data from storage. That is no doubt a contributing factor here, but I would question it being the primary bottleneck.
Again I/O issues are not solely relative to the HDD data and it's a more wide argument with multiple hardware parts involved (of course, HDD storage it's a relevant part). Why repeat vague stuff without provide deeper informations if you really think there is something of more to add?

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just played Control on a base PS4. Is it worse than that?
No absolutely.And it's far better than the most of the later multiplat on ps360. But of course it could be subjective. Maybe there are area where is really stressed but for the most should me be fine.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So if you have an X, use the internal drive?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Absolutely. What is a hard 5-10 second pause on the consoles is a couple frame stutter on PC. You should be able to get 1080p 60 with that card too.
I'm going to try completely shutting the game and my PS4 off and playing it from a fresh boot and see if that clears up any of the stickiness, because trying to parry shit on Dathomir is impossible when the console seems to be skipping every couple of frames.
I must have massive I/O issues on my PS4 Pro then, since it stutters like crazy for some time before stabilizing. :(
I'm loving the game but on the third planet with lots of vegetation it is running like shit on my pro. It just soft locked for the first time in a hard encounter. I hope a patch comes soon
Are all of you using the sleep or suspend mode on your console? I never use either because there have been a number of example over the years where using those features exacerbated issues like this.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
This is the very definition of a rushed game.
Needed way more time in the oven.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are all of you using the sleep or suspend mode on your console? I never use either because there have been a number of example over the years where using those features exacerbated issues like this.

I did yesterday, yeah. It seemed entirely stable during my first play, and then after I came back after a break was when it got a lot worse.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Eesh is that really how bad the animation is in the game? The blending between movement to attacks looks pretty bad and he looks like he is floating a good inch above the ground at all times.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eesh is that really how bad the animation is in the game? The blending between movement to attacks looks pretty bad and he looks like he is floating a good inch above the ground at all times.

Cal's running animations feel very, very weird most of the time. He kind of looks like he's midway between a canned run and a procedurally altered run animation at all times.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Occasional stutters are happening on my decent PC, and I'm running this thing off an NVMe 970 Pro with (2080ti, 9900k, 16GB of 3200 RAM). It doesn't look like hitching is a hardware issue - I'm throwing a high tier computer at this thing and there's no stopping the hitching.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
If any game next year will needs a upgrade patch for the new consoles, its this game. Would be bananas at 4k60, jealous of PC folks with monster systems.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
If any game next year will needs a upgrade patch for the new consoles, its this game. Would be bananas at 4k60, jealous of PC folks with monster systems.

It is epic. I can't stop thinking about it. The slowdowns are noticeable but infrequent. The game looks incredible at full 4k on EPIC settings. Animation is top notch too. Next-gen hopefuls are going to shit their pants!

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, the game VISUALLY looks very nice but the running animations feel very bizarre to me. I don't know why they chose to do them that way.
Yeah... It's like his form is completely off. He's hunched forward, and bobs his head side to side so much. People don't run like that. Uncharted 2 and 3 had a similar problem, which they corrected in 4 for a more natural way of running.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
Again I/O are not solely relative to the HDD. Why you continue to repeat this stuff and your information are very vague about this matter.
Ask yourself, if another bottleneck is taking resources away from I/O operations is File I/O realistically the root cause? No, staggered i/o would be just one possible symptom.

Yet for whatever reason whenever stalls like this happen the common assumption is, welp, must be the file I/O not keeping up. In reality these stutters may not even be a result of accessing data. Could be the cost of clearing memory before the next expected load, or asset spawning overhead, or memory leaks, or dependency tracking. etc. Even if I/O is the root cause it could have more to do with how the data is packaged. There are many, many other possible explanations.

The recommendation to not play from sleep is a telling sign that there is more at play here.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oof I was planning on getting the game by the end of the month but from these problems I'll probably just take a "wait and see" approach to the game.

Xbudz

Oct 27, 2017
i'm curious, for people playing in HDR on Xbox One X, which brightness setting did you settle on?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This and Control are showing those older launch systems are barely handling the newest games without hitches and hang-ups. As much mileage as I've gotten out of them, I think next-gen is going to be a godsend.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ask yourself, if another bottleneck is taking resources away from I/O operations is File I/O realistically the root cause? No, staggered i/o would be just one possible symptom.

Yet for whatever reason whenever stalls like this happen the common assumption is, welp, must be the file I/O not keeping up. In reality these stutters may not even be a result of accessing data. Could be the cost of clearing memory before the next expected load, or asset spawning overhead, or memory leaks, or dependency tracking. etc. Even if I/O is the root cause it could have more to do with how the data is packaged. There are many, many other possible explanations.

The recommendation to not play from sleep is a telling sign that there is more at play here.
This is why I kept it so generic. It's obviously not just related to drive speed, though it's part of it. The problem runs deeper clearly as you say.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
First game on base PS4 to drop to 720p?

Kinda wild, I thought it would perform much better on base PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
Very informative video!

Base PS4, external base-spec HDD:

Planet Z was pretty much fine, only one small piece of ground where rock texture didn't load in. Which is remarkable because that first visit goes on and on and up and down and across and everywhere across landscapes and natural and man-made materials, for hours.

Can confirm that the game overall appears to be higher-res, almost no shimmer and images maintain clarity. I know it's a different engine but with Titanfall 2 you could very visibly notice the resolution drops. I guess people don't remember this.

Then I went back to the first planet for some stuff, and that first half of it starting at the ship is still kinda rough in the stutter area. Nothing like the hard pauses in the video, but something's still off there. It's weird because this area of the game is not more special environment-wise, or larger, or more expansive than Planet Z is, at all.

On to the next planet, we'll see what happens.