• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That right there in the scene is due to client side rendering. The game is crazy well multithreaded, excluding the render thread (DX11 is mainly at fault here). So in that scene the GPU is underutilised and only at like 50% utilisation while the FPS is about 30. There is just too many entities, draw calls there causing DX11 to be the bottleneck. Vulkan will make that area easily 100% GPU utilisation and 60 fps then.

Dankeschön! :)

When is Vulkan integration scheduled?

Yep. Earn some credits ingame, go to the dealership and get (or rent) the one you want. :)

Perfect! After I have had enough No Man's Sky, I'll switch over to start exploring a little.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
When is Vulkan integration scheduled?

Asking "When" on a question related to Star Citizen ? You're new here right ? :p

Joking aside, it's suppposed to come this year, it's been already integrated on the server side (fo, dubious results for now) but no precise ETA yet for the client side integration.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Asking "When" on a question related to Star Citizen ? You're new here right ? :p

Joking aside, it's suppposed to come this year, it's been already integrated on the server side (fo, dubious results for now) but no precise ETA yet for the client side integration.

Not really, no ;) Since they have been really steady with updates these last few years (even if features still skip updates) I thought it was worth the question.

Good to know that it's already tested on the server side of things.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This furthers my opinion that the guys over there are amazing at developing tech and building it. I'm excited to see if they will ever share the tech so it can be used to better the industry.

Don't think the company has the direction to ever have a game that's enough for the hype, but the industry will be better from their work

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Thread Derailment; Account in Junior Phase
Am I correct in thinking that Dictator/Alex is the same person who used to post on NeoGaf as Dictator93? If so he may want to disclose at the beginning of his videos that he is a long-time backer of the game. Also, as I recall him being a pretty big evangelist for SC, if that played a role in getting the behind-the-scenes access he may want to disclose that as well (as opposed to if he had just approached them as someone from Digital Foundry and they weren't aware of his backer status and enthusiasm for the game).

I don't want to bring back the "this is an ad" derail. The tech is the tech, and the video is informative even to someone like me who is very critical of SC in general. I'm just suggesting a quick line or two of disclosure at the beginning of the videos. Also, if I'm completely off-base about who Dictator is disregard all this.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I don't want to bring back the "this is an ad" derail. The tech is the tech, and the video is informative even to someone like me who is very critical of SC in general. I'm just suggesting a quick line or two of disclosure at the beginning of the videos. Also, if I'm completely off-base about who Dictator is disregard all this.
Watch this starting at at 24 seconds in to answer your question:

As a personal aside - we only cover things at DF that we are interested in, and we 100% inflect it with our opinion on top of the information. Hence why Dark1x covers all the things he covers in DF Retro, switch, whatever, or Rich covers all the things he covers regrading hardware or theoretical things. John has gotten a million tonnes of hate for videos like Gears of War 5, Crackdown 3, Rage 2, etc. and I get tonnes of hate for not ending each ray tracing video with "fuck nvidia, fuck Ray tracing game works fad".

And of course I am a backer for the game, how else would I show off in game stuff otherwise? Though I am only about 40 € deep into the game purchase.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Really loving this series, hopefully they let you get some good footage going forwards. I'm hoping that they can get the Linux build working after the Vulkan port. It works in wine but that's kind of a PITA to use and maintain and since they aren't on Steam it doesn't use Valve's seamless automated setup and bottle handling.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Watch this starting at at 24 seconds in to answer your question:

As a personal aside - we only cover things at DF that we are interested in, and we 100% inflect it with our opinion on top of the information. Hence why Dark1x covers all the things he covers in DF Retro, switch, whatever, or Rich covers all the things he covers regrading hardware or theoretical things. John has gotten a million tonnes of hate for videos like Gears of War 5, Crackdown 3, Rage 2, etc. and I get tonnes of hate for not ending each ray tracing video with "fuck nvidia, fuck Ray tracing game works fad".

And of course I am a backer for the game, how else would I show off in game stuff otherwise? Though I am only about 40 € deep into the game purchase.

#truefacts

Jun 1, 2018
where the hell did this anti-Digital Foundry troll gang come from?
not sure why, but it seems its the same troll gang that does driveby posts in our star citizen community threads. wish the mods would ban them because if you would do what they do in other threads they would get banned immdeatiely

i hope a third video is planned!
also i wish CIG would finally add some promised gameplay loops like salvaging

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
not sure why, but it seems its the same troll gang that does driveby posts in our star citizen community threads. wish the mods would ban them because if you would do what they do in other threads they would get banned immdeatiely

i hope a third video is planned!
also i wish CIG would finally add some promised gameplay loops like salvaging
Oh, so they hate Star Citizen? I see.

People love to get angry about how others spend their money.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope no one minds the bump.

But i just wanted to pop i here and say thanks so much for these vids Dictator they're an excellent technical breakdown.

I'd love to see more in the future. So even dummies like me can get a better appreciation for the technical achievements CIG is accomplishing.