• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
POM really is an incredible tech. I knew it was used a lot in SC but not THAT much, it's just absolutely everywhere.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Another great vid. The use of POM is just insane, and the fps in Area 18 on that system equally so.
Can't wait till they get to implementing Vulkan.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
As an artist in the industry who has been utilising similar medium poly/decals/POM workflows in recent years, I find these videos super informative. So I thank you guys at DF for your great work. I already use colour masks for allowing the customisation of colours on my characters and environments, but until this newest vid, it hadn't occurred to me to try combining a selection of material texture details into a single atlas to allow further customisation on character suits. I might look into whether that's something we could find a use for!

Oct 29, 2017
Another great video! I'm actually shocked at the POM implementation, usually there are some very obvious distortions at certain angles but here it seems like they used it to its full potential while avoiding those issues for the most part.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
With every new video on star citizen they make me want more to jump in. I need a new graphics card though!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great video. I found it funny that some of those shots actually looked like the Halo Infinite trailer.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic video. The amount of engineering that has gone into this game never fails to impress.
It really is a crazy amount of tech they are putting into the game. Seems to be one of those never ending showcases of what can be done. The scale is bonkers, as is the macro and micro scale of stuff. Hopefully gives us a glimpse at what nextgen consoles might be pushing.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched that whole video. Star Citizen is doing some amazing things. Maybe it'll be finished someday!

( Here's hoping they eventually implement full ray traced global illumination)

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I have been fairly pessimistic about this project, but I am really seeing improvement here.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish RSI would hand off all the fancy tech they made to another developer so we can actually enjoy a finished game with all this stuff while Star Citizen is still being worked on.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's exciting is that CIG is developing and refining graphical technology that can be used by other developers in the industry.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
What's exciting is that CIG is developing and refining graphical technology that can be used by other developers in the industry.
Indeed, I am just imagining a fantasy RPG taking place on a whole planet, with its height-map, climate, weather... On a planet that actually revolves around its star and has some moons orbiting the planet lighting up the sky at night too. We could have a planet-wide map to explore its mountains, seas, valleys, deserts, forests... Basically Skyrim on a planet scale.
I really hope they license this.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if it's just for SC, just wait. And having a mid-tier GPU for this game is enough tbh. It's the CPU and RAM amount what really improves performance on this game. High core/thread count and >16GB RAM along with an SSD (obligatory), is a godsend for SC.

A reminder that this exists https://robertsspaceindustries.com/telemetry

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome video. I love everything that they are doing with this game. Its next gen in every way.

Hope they rethink adding in VR support later down the line. I think in a few years all the tech will converge in a way that makes it much easier to do.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome video. I love everything that they are doing with this game. Its next gen in every way.

Hope they rethink adding in VR support later down the line. I think in a few years all the tech will converge in a way that makes it much easier to do.
It's in the cards, just will likely be something they work on after everything else. They've said before that the UI is designed with future VR support in mind.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they add turbulence and improve the flight model. I want to feel the airframe straining to clear atmosphere, the vibration of the thrust and the air actually having fluidic properties and the flight model responding accordingly.

My one pet peeve is seeing the spacecraft being able to hover effortlessly and hanging there serenely in position without any visible effort or feedback from gravity, wind, pressure etc. I'm assuming the flight model is still in early stages because CIG have demonstrated amazing attention to detail.

Jun 1, 2018
I hope they add turbulence and improve the flight model. I want to feel the airframe straining to clear atmosphere, the vibration of the thrust and the air actually having fluidic properties and the flight model responding accordingly.

My one pet peeve is seeing the spacecraft being able to hover effortlessly and hanging there serenely in position without any visible effort or feedback from gravity, wind, pressure etc. I'm assuming the flight model is still in early stages because CIG have demonstrated amazing attention to detail.
since they fired the old guy responsible for the flight model it seems they have no idea what to do. atmospheric flight is still mediocre and non existant

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
since they fired the old guy responsible for the flight model it seems they have no idea what to do. atmospheric flight is still mediocre and non existant

Ah crap. The flight model still doesn't 'feel' right whether in space or in atmo — I was hoping they'd improve that aspect immensely given SQ42 is rumoured(?) to be targeting a late 2020 release window.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Wait, they did? And it was only one person who managed that huge part of the game?

I noticed that DF didn't mention any time frame at all for server meshing. Last I looked that was planned to be up before 4.0 - is it still planned for that update? Also did any other games and MMOs tackle server meshing before? Is it possible to buy the knowledge to implement it in your game or is it basically unprecedented on this scale?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Dictator - Alex, with the Series X specs finally revealed, do you think a potential port is possible?

The Series X should definitely be able to handle the current build, no? Would love a video on that.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they did? And it was only one person who managed that huge part of the game?

I noticed that DF didn't mention any time frame at all for server meshing. Last I looked that was planned to be up before 4.0 - is it still planned for that update? Also did any other games and MMOs tackle server meshing before? Is it possible to buy the knowledge to implement it in your game or is it basically unprecedented on this scale?
I'm not aware of any game using server meshing. And first implementation of server meshing is planned for this year.

----
Dictator - Alex, with the Series X specs finally revealed, do you think a potential port is possible?

The Series X should definitely be able to handle the current build, no? Would love a video on that.
No ports are planned, but Series X would be capable of running Star Citizen, yes.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect console port development to actually start until the game is released. Now, when is that going to be? I believe that as soon as we get server meshing + Vulkan + Proper Persistence (iCache) and a couple more gameplay loops, they will consider the game to be released and implement further features as iterative updates. 2021 can be a 1.0 release.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not aware of any game using server meshing. And first implementation of server meshing is planned for this year.

Ah, I see - so it's unprecedented technology! Very exciting!

Can't wait for this to be implemented, that should also be the start of the MMO part without regular server resets, right?
I'm sure they will still come from time to time, but they should happen far less often I hope.

Haven't been in the game since I got my 970 back in the day - can't wait to try again with my 2060 Super or maybe even the 3000 series at that point.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Hey,
I think Series X could definitely run star Citizen especially after they port it over to a lower level API, I just do not think they will port the Star Citizen MMO necessarily - I think they would want some specific funding for it, for one, and because they want some guaranteed things like unhampered peripheral support. MS may not allow that.

But I do think they could at some point port the single player campaign in Squadron 42 to a platform like Xbox Series X. It will be a bit more constrained but on the exact same technological basis.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this to be implemented, that should also be the start of the MMO part without regular server resets, right?
Account progression (earned money, ship, weapon, armor and component purchases) resets will "stop" in next week(s) patch 3.8.2. They will still make server resets to "clean up" the servers but character progression will be saved (they still can reset character progression in future patches if it's absolutely needed)

Server meshing has nothing to do with resets, but more with player count. Right now each server holds around 60 people on a system, With server meshing it could become thousands per system (with multiple servers taking care of the load together).

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I thought there was games that used server meshing? But this is the first? Damn.
Online games usually use layers, where "copies" of the same area exist and each is handled by a server, instead of many servers working together dynamically for a given area.

Other MMOs, when a lot of people is on one zone, let's say 100, the server creates another layer of that zone where to put mroe people. Having 200 people on a zone, but split up into two "layers". And thus cannot see each other.

In SC, if a small zone has 1000 players for example, each server might handle the data of 50 people for example, so 20 servers working together can simulate every player in that zone, while the player sees the 1000 people. Of course, if an entire planet has just 2 people on it, one server can handle it on it own easily, so they change on demand.

I think I'm not mistaken, but something like that.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Some posters here are completely stupid or are great at pretending.

It's really not hard to understand that DF won't touch on the subject about SC being scummy or not. It's a fucking TECH VIDEO and your dumb expectations of what a TECH VIDEO should be about doesn't change what it is.

So please, let them do their work that ONLY FOCUSES ON TECH and leave.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I thought there was games that used server meshing? But this is the first? Damn.
There are games that use Multi-Server configurations, but all of them are split into zones with loading like for example Guild Wars 2 or more recently WoW. I'm not aware of any game that does this fully dynamically within one zone.

---
In SC, if a small zone has 1000 players for example, each server might handle the data of 50 people for example, so 20 servers working together can simulate every player in that zone, while the player sees the 1000 people. Of course, if an entire planet has just 2 people on it, one server can handle it on it own easily, so they change on demand.
You wont see 1000 players physically in SC. But you will be able to interact with them and seamlessly stream in and out from one zone to another with any number of players.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Man, these videos almost sold me on the game. That is until the performance at the end of the second video. 30fps with a 2080ti. I think I'll wait.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Hey,
I think Series X could definitely run star Citizen especially after they port it over to a lower level API, I just do not think they will port the Star Citizen MMO necessarily - I think they would want some specific funding for it, for one, and because they want some guaranteed things like unhampered peripheral support. MS may not allow that.

But I do think they could at some point port the single player campaign in Squadron 42 to a platform like Xbox Series X. It will be a bit more constrained but on the exact same technological basis.
Thanks for the reply, Alex!
Loved your videos so far, keep up the great work! 😊

Squadron 42 would be amazing to see as well. Who would've even entertained that idea 2 years ago?
Die nächste generation wird wunderbar sein! (My German is rusty...)

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There are games that use Multi-Server configurations, but all of them are split into zones with loading like for example Guild Wars 2 or more recently WoW. I'm not aware of any game that does this fully dynamically within one zone.

---

You wont see 1000 players physically in SC. But you will be able to interact with them and seamlessly stream in and out from one zone to another with any number of players.

Didn't EVE do something like this? I remember some massive battles with thousands(?) of players.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't EVE do something like this? I remember some massive battles with thousands(?) of players.
Eve doesn't do this. They have a fixed server infrastructure, but what they do to support the massive battles is that their engine scales the simulation tick rate; what is generally called "time dilation".

As you might have inferred by what it is called, then what happens as more and more people join the battle, the server slows down the simulation. Until it gets to the point where the game can't really be called real-time.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Eve doesn't do this. They have a fixed server infrastructure, but what they do to support the massive battles is that their engine scales the simulation tick rate what is generally called "time dilation".

As you might have inferred by what it is called, then what happens as more and more people join the battle, the server slows down the simulation. until it get to the point where the game can't really be called real-time.

Ahhhhh, thanks!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Account progression (earned money, ship, weapon, armor and component purchases) resets will "stop" in next week(s) patch 3.8.2. They will still make server resets to "clean up" the servers but character progression will be saved (they still can reset character progression in future patches if it's absolutely needed)

Server meshing has nothing to do with resets, but more with player count. Right now each server holds around 60 people on a system, With server meshing it could become thousands per system (with multiple servers taking care of the load together).

Ah, perfect - I might still wait for 3.9 or 4.0 as 4.0, but with that piece of information maybe I'll try it eariler then.
So you can also safe up in-game money to buy new ships from here on out?

Man, these videos almost sold me on the game. That is until the performance at the end of the second video. 30fps with a 2080ti. I think I'll wait.

Isn't that limited to the server side simulation and not the client side rendering?
Maybe I'm mixing stuff up though.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Isn't that limited to the server side simulation and not the client side rendering?
Maybe I'm mixing stuff up though.
That right there in the scene is due to client side rendering. The game is crazy well multithreaded, excluding the render thread (DX11 is mainly at fault here). So in that scene the GPU is underutilised and only at like 50% utilisation while the FPS is about 30. There is just too many entities, draw calls there causing DX11 to be the bottleneck. Vulkan will make that area easily 100% GPU utilisation and 60 fps then.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. EVE setup is multi-server, but each server handle multiple solar systems, if really big battle about to happen in some system, they some times turn it off and put single server just for this solar system. Transition between solar systems has a loading time.

---
There are other games that are also developing server meshing, one that I can think of that is further along in that aspect. But released, I don't think so, at least at this scale.
I'm curious, which one?