• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Watching now. Regardless of what you may think of Star Citizen's business practices, the tech is undeniably impressive.

Edit: Finished watching. This was a great video. I wonder how this tech compares to Beyond Good & Evil 2's tech, which is also pretty mindblowing.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
lets go people! for every complain about how the game is fake, ill buy a ship.

You will be broke by the end of it.

edit: I have no ability to play this game but I always drop in and lurk because they tech always interests me.
Alex does a great job explaining all that's happening on the surface level and behind the scenes of the tech. Hopefully more tech savvy people on here can hold a lengthy discussion for me to read and try to understand some of these words.

Last edited:

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive tech, game just seems so colossal, will it ever be finished.

Finishing the video makes me want a next gen Mass Effect.

I don't think it will ever be finished. Not because of incompetence or anything, but because it's practically impossible to place a definitive end point on a project like this.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I don't think it will ever be finished. Not because of incompetence or anything, but because it's practically impossible to place a definitive end point on a project like this.
Are you pointing to a No Man's Sky like situation? Where the devs will keep adding to the game post-launch to complete it?

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
on the road at the moment, how can i play this game? i think i have a good pc to give this a go. Have not watched the video, will do when i get home.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
planetary tech is impresive, hopefully their work here helps more devs in the future with making huge worlds faster and more efficiently while not sacrificing detail and seamless loading

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Just started the video and it looks like it's gonna be a meaty piece. Digital Foundry has been able to visit the studio and talk to some developers, this should be very interesting.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
planetary tech is impresive, hopefully their work here helps more devs in the future with making huge worlds faster and more efficiently while not sacrificing detail and seamless loading

This is my entire interest in the game. I have zero desire to buy it or anything but I'm super interested in how they're going about building worlds and interplanetary travel and making it seamless.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Incredible look at the tech behind the game, but I have to admit I look forward to the next one even more.
Alex visiting the studio can only lead to more great in-depth looks, and I can't wait to see em.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
250 million spread over 9 years. I mean it keeps going I guess, the money is being spent and there is a lot of neat tech on display. I'd never spend a single cent on it until it's finished myself. Viewed from outside though, I can't help but feel like star citizen is just too ambitious. Like, would they have collected so much cash if , back in 2011 they announced "hey this won't release until 2025 and by the time it comes out there will probably be a few games out there that rival it's complexity but were going for broke anyway.... both literally and figuratively" how much would folks have invested ?

Ah well, it's neat to see tech videos atleast.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting tech for sure, but I still doubt we will ever see a finished retail product.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
People being skeptical of this game getting completed and it not being a giant money sink of ridiculously priced MTX ships is them being haters? That seems like an unfair assertion.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Volumetric clouds and object containers are a tech novelty according to the video. What happened to DF?
Both are indeed very much so a tech novelity. The size of the volumetric clouds make their implementation pretty darn different from volumetric clouds that you would see in something like red dead redemption, Horizon or else where.

And yes, Object Containers as implemented in SC are in fact pretty different from standard loading done in other "open" world games, precisely do to the type of objects that are loading. A ship, like a larger transport, is a floating game level...

A player controled game level floating toward your position, that you need to load on the fly.
That's exactly what they are.

You know, we report on the tech of a lot of games - and we rarely get the opportunity to interview or actually peel back the development process to see how the workflows are. And finally when we can go to a place and explain how it works, people call it an "advertisement".

Yeah - ResetEra - you disappoint me.

Jul 17, 2018
Both are indeed very much so a tech novelity. The size of the volumetric clouds make their implementation pretty darn different from volumetric clouds that you would see in something like red dead redemption, Horizon or else where.

And yes, Object Containers as implemented in SC are in fact pretty different from standard loading done in other "open" world games, precisely do to the type of objects that are loading. A ship, like a larger transport, is a floating game level...

A player controled game level floating toward your position, that you need to load on the fly.

You know, we report on the tech of a lot of games - and we rarely get the opportunity to interview or actually peel back the development process to see how the workflows are. And finally when we can go to a place and explain how it works, people call it an "advertisement".

Try Ace Combat 7 for huge amounts of high quality volumetric clouds maybe? The tech has been here for years before SC.

The videos focus on the positives pretty much exclusively, it's hard to maintain journalistic intrgrity while glossing over all the huge problems that the game has.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

it doesn't come off as an ad at all, its a documentary on the tech behind the game. people here are just caught up on platform war mentalities.

Try Ace Combat 7 for huge amounts of high quality volumetric clouds maybe? The tech has been here for years before SC.

The videos focus on the positives pretty much exclusively, it's hard to maintain journalistic intrgrity while glossing over all the huge problems that the game has.

armchair anaylst knows better, please tell us more how similar the tech is. and this isn't a critic review. its a tech video.

s0laster

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Well it surely looks impressive by the amount of work done. However from a technological point of view, there is nothing new and it looks like pretty standard stuff.

Planets are basically 2d, they are just a bunch of stacked 2d noises, 2d procedural logic and props. The video showcased a small cavern though, but it looks like fake : just a 3d props in a 2d hole.

Smooth transitions between different levels of detail is good tech and hard to get right without frame loss. So on this side it looks like they did a great job.

Starship generation is using a graph so nothing new, this kind of generation tends to be boring yet require a lot of work to get it working and entertaining (I've yet to be surprised by a world generated with graphs).

Gas clouds are also well done, as well as the atmospheric effects.

From the video it looks like the world is pretty much static. Having a dynamic and interactive world is the tricky part at such scale.

So big up to them for the work done, it is quite an achievement. But the tech itself is not that impressive.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017

Because it is perceived as somewhat biased to present all the good stuff while ignoring the giant amount of bad (it's like looking at a car that completely falls apart after one mile, but look at how great was the rear mirror).

All your videos have a certain goal of presenting the product for what it does best, it doesn't matter if it's Anthem, RDR2 or Star Citizen, so I guess it's fair. You make advestise-friendly videos in all cases, and even when you touch on the bad you make an effort to minimize it. But there's this side effect that makes who watches your videos realize that one can't trust them to get a balanced picture.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to the rest of the series, loved the unique footage he got of the gas tech, mind blowing stuff that we've only seen glimpses of over the years, i mean we're looking at hundreds of kilometer wide volumetric clouds and people in the thread are going to act like this has been done before? It's really groundbreaking tech on a unfathomable scale.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The problem they'll eventually face is storing the world's dynamic information. They'll need to store everything on servers. If they go as far as weather changing and so on, you need to store where snow fell, that there was a massive ship preventing snow from falling on the ground in some place, and so on. On the short term this won't happen, but on the long term we're talking about insane amounts of information to be stored for every universe instance, or at least the information that isn't the same as the default information.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

It's almost like Digital Foundry is more focused on the technical side of things than internet drama.

Not every video on Starcitizen needs to repeat the same old tired arguments of missed dates/feature creep etc.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

AC7 is clearly a totally different technique, it's clear as day just by looking at it, especially in motion as ships pass through. AC7 is probably something closer to a flat sprite with path traced shading, whereas sc clouds are clearly voxel based objects, like VDB or something.

edit: oh, i'm watching the video now, it is vdb.

I'd say that's the only visual effect in the game that feels truly nextgen to me, everything else is the same thing everybody else does except made possible with their huge open world/streaming tech.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Because it is perceived as somewhat biased to present all the good stuff while ignoring the giant amount of bad (it's like looking at a car that completely falls apart after one mile, but look at how great was the rear mirror).

All your videos have a certain goal of presenting the product for what it does best, it doesn't matter if it's Anthem, RDR2 or Star Citizen, so I guess it's fair. You make advestise-friendly videos in all cases, and even when you touch on the bad you make an effort to minimize it. But there's this side effect that makes who watches your videos realize that once can't trust them to get a balanced picture.
What aspects to critique about RDR 2 do you mean?

We were not exactly friendly about anthem on the platforms and state it released in. So I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

But of course, continue to generalise and assume we say things "postiively" about games because it is advertising and money friendly - or that it gives us better view counts or whatever excuse you want to put out there. If you may not have noticed, the YT algo and story generation is actually very much so about reactionary negativity.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

All your videos have a certain goal of presenting the product for what it does best, it doesn't matter if it's Anthem, RDR2 or Star Citizen, so I guess it's fair. You make advestise-friendly videos in all cases, and even when you touch on the bad you make an effort to minimize it. But there's this side effect that makes who watches your videos realize that one can't trust them to get a balanced picture.

It is shocking that a tech focused site focus on tech parts of games..

Shocking yes, very.