• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's important to remember that Stadia doesn't exist in just one data center and the DF crew and I were certainly not playing RDR2 off the same physical hardware. That said, there's a reason I didn't try to emulate what they do: Dark1x and Dictator are absolutely the experts in this field and their analyses are beyond reproach. The inclusion of the comparison in the review was to illustrate the visual differences between physical and cloud-based hardware.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if it (let's say) runs at 1080p60 in the browser, does it stays that way when going to Chromecast 4K? Do you have to "restart" the game to make it run in 1440p30.
And if it starts in 1440p30 on Chromecast, does it stays that way if you continue in the browser?

In fact the question is, if it chose different game profile depending on the device it's started, does it change the game profile on the fly or does it have to restart the game?

As their seemless play on what you want is one of their big points, it would be a pain to have to restart a game to switch from phone res to 4K TV (given there's a 4K/fauxK game profile).

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just turn on motion smoothing on your TV.
For some rare games it can be great, like top-down scrollers, it tends to add a bit of delay so better use it on games that don't need reaction time.
That's the way I play Pokémon games on Switch, it looks great at fake 60 FPS, my Philips TV does a great job and artifacts are a minor issue in these games.
I only use it in those games, it's not very good in most of the games and Game mode reduces TV lag by two on my model.
Just never use it on any FPS/TPS games or racers, it's just a mess of artifacts and delayed controls.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So if it (let's say) runs at 1080p60 in the browser, does it stays that way when going to Chromecast 4K? Do you have to "restart" the game to make it run in 1440p30.
And if it starts in 1440p30 on Chromecast, does it stays that way if you continue in the browser?

In fact the question is, if it chose different game profile depending on the device it's started, does it change the game profile on the fly or does it have to restart the game?

As their seemless play on what you want is one of their big points, it would be a pain to have to restart a game to switch from phone res to 4K TV (given there's a 4K/fauxK game profile).
Richard will look into it. I'm wondering if you can even switch to 1080p60 when using Stadia Pro on the Chromecast...perhaps not.

Oct 26, 2017
Does them advertising 4K resolution for Stadia Pro not constitute false advertising if this is the case and it won't actually run at 4K no matter how good your internet is? Surely "it's actually upscaled from a lower output resolution to a 4K video feed" is stretching the truth at best?
By that metric every single console manufacturer is lying about their output. Native 4k outside of PC is the exception, not the rule. Google fits right in with the others here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Does them advertising 4K resolution for Stadia Pro not constitute false advertising if this is the case and it won't actually run at 4K no matter how good your internet is? Surely "it's actually upscaled from a lower output resolution to a 4K video feed" is stretching the truth at best?

They say "Up to 4K". You can get away with anything these days as long as a static black picture can be streamed at 4K even if 99.99% of your content is 240p.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Just watched a good 20 minute chunk of RDR2 on the Kotaku stream on the PC (fixed to 1080p at launch) they were definitely playing at 60fps as well. I think DF's presumptions are correct

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Richard will look into it. I'm wondering if you can even switch to 1080p60 when using Stadia Pro on the Chromecast...perhaps not.
Interesting. A choice to run games at 1080p60 would take away much of my initial negativity. Can't see the difference between 4K and 1080p anyway in my living room because of the distance to the TV (plus, I'm old), but 30 vs 60fps gets seen within a second.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018

Howdy. You can (bizzarely) control the quality of the stream using the mobile application for stadia. There are 3 settings at launch.

Full quality at 4k
Balanced (which locks it to 1080p according to Google)
And low bandwidth mode which locks it to a 720p stream.

If Richard can put it onto 'Balanced' using the mobile application and then retest on his Chromecast device it'll be interesting to see what results he gets, specifically for RDR2 (alongside input 'lag' to boot). 😀

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
zgySyRI.gif
What year is this feed from? I'm just trying to understand is this is sarcasm, or early 2000's speculation. Or sarcasm of early 2000's speculation.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
They say "Up to 4K". You can get away with anything these days as long as a static black picture can be streamed at 4K even if 99.99% of your content is 240p.

This is really sad actually but the good thing is that (bad) reputation might do the work and they eventually change strategy or just put more effort into their service to please their target audience who ever it is.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
120 to 144fps is where it's at for the quality seekers now and moving forward. We're talking about 60fps like it's the holy grail.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
120 to 144fps is where it's at for the quality seekers now and moving forward. We're talking about 60fps like it's the holy grail.
This kind of surprised me too. I'm mostly a PC gamer, and granted I don't really focus on the most action oriented games, but I'm looking to upgrade to 1440p 120/144 this Black Friday. 4K wasn't even on my radar and even thinking about it, I'd rather have the extra FPS

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This kind of surprised me too. I'm mostly a PC gamer, and granted I don't really focus on the most action oriented games, but I'm looking to upgrade to 1440p 120/144 this Black Friday. 4K wasn't even on my radar and even thinking about it, I'd rather have the extra FPS

Wise choice. I mostly play on a 65" OLED and 1080p/120 beats 4k/60 even at five to six feet away.

Oct 25, 2017
That's really weird if 1080p gives you a higher frame rate. Wouldn't that mean that paying for Stadia Pro will give you 30 fps which is worse than using the free version at 1080p?

Stadia Pro is a terrible choice in general anyway, as all games seem to be sub-4K so you might as well enjoy them in 1080p without a monthly fee.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Nvidia's Ultra Low Latency mode combined with VRR/GSync is also an absolute game changer for me, even at 60fps. Games feel so different and responsive with it enabled that going back to consoles now feels really laggy, never mind Stadia. Even just scrolling through the menus on a title screen feels so different going between ULL/Gsync on PC and then on PS4 Pro/X. I hope the next gen consoles implement ULL/VRR in a similar way to it works on PC.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nvidia's Ultra Low Latency mode combined with VRR/GSync is also an absolute game changer for me, even at 60fps. Games feel so different and responsive with it enabled that going back to consoles now feels really laggy, never mind Stadia. Even just scrolling through the menus on a title screen feels so different going between ULL/Gsync on PC and then on PS4 Pro/X. I hope the next gen consoles implement ULL/VRR in a similar way to it works on PC.

The gap between streaming and local play isn't going to narrow over time.

It's going to grow.

Really? I was thinking about getting a 4k monitor and playing at 30-60fps as games got more intensive next year, but perhaps 1440p is the sweet spot... I might be playing as far as 8-10 feet though.

HFR reduces blur on OLED, which means motion resolution increases.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Streaming is 100% not going to cut it for the majority of mouse and keyboard gamers, even those not running ULL/VRR setups.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so you are a non-random Resetera user declaring something 60FPS by looking at a video on YouTube
vs
Digital Foundry using high speed cameras and years of experience analyzing framerates
You can step through YouTube videos with , and . on the desktop. With a 60 FPS video it's trivial to determine if a game is targeting 30 or 60. It will update every frame for 60, and only every second frame for 30.
Of course that is not going to determine if something is running between 50-60 FPS for example, but it's really easy to identify ≤30 FPS this way.
Plus, you know, using your eyes to see if it's smooth or not.

Holy crap. That's atrocious. What could hold Destiny 2 back so much? If RDR2 is running at X1X levels, why isn't Destiny?
I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like running multiple players on a single blade rather than dedicating an entire blade per player.
People seem to assume the "power of the cloud" will be used to scale up and allocate multiple blades per player for demanding games, but this is a good way to maximize player count with less hardware investment.

4K60 is (almost) impossible on streaming at its current stage. Even streamers streaming cannot do 4K60 unless it's expensive as fuck hardware. No way is Stadia going to be that.
4K60 is an issue of bandwidth, not "hardware". Any recent GPU can encode 4K.
developer.nvidia.com

Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix

Find the related video encoding and decoding support for all NVIDIA GPU products.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You can step through YouTube videos with , and . on the desktop. With a 60 FPS video it's trivial to determine if a game is targeting 30 or 60. It will update every frame for 60, and only every second frame for 30.
Of course that is not going to determine if something is running between 50-60 FPS for example, but it's really easy to identify ≤30 FPS this way.
Plus, you know, using your eyes to see if it's smooth or not.
Yeah we worked through it; I was wrong.