• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean I coulda told you that games for the most part on Stadia weren't going to outperform consoles regardless of the hardware difference.

Because it's easier to port games like Red Dead as is and call it a day, than it is to optimize it for Stadia's specialized hardware.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I mean I coulda told you that games for the most part on Stadia weren't going to outperform consoles regardless of the hardware difference.

Because it's easier to port games like Red Dead as is and call it a day, than it is to optimize it for Stadia's specialized hardware.
It's not that specialized; it's an Intel CPU and an AMD GPU with no reported weird architecture or anything.

It does require Vulkan... but then again the Vulkan renderer of RDR2 supposedly runs better than the DX12 version on PC.. soooo..

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
Stadia has a GPU that should be around 80% faster than X1X, yet it's running at 44% of the total pixel count with the same graphical settings and framerate.

Not defending Google but I'd blame the developer on that one.

Maybe it was a case of not enough confidence on the tech or just not enough time to optimize, but better hardware doesn't always equals to better performance; we see that a lot on PC gaming overall.

So before blaming Google I'd wait for a real dev to clarify on how much difficult it is to port something to Stadia after its done on other platforms. I mean if your game doesn't have native support for Linux/Vulkan from the start it's a whole new platform to port to.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Aside from GameExplain, has anyone seen gameplay of RDR2 running full screen so we can look at further examples?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
The 10TF thing is supposed to be the specs of the machine remotely running your software?

And is there the possibility they haven't set up everything properly between regular and pro accounts and the remote hardware isn't quite in place yet/could be upgraded?

Bear with me, haven't really been following

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about as great as when TV adverts try to show off their superior image quality through my own TV screen.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I mean, im not a Stadia fan so to speak, but i can still realise that It was never gonna be at 4K60 day1. Come on people. Common sense.
I don't really think people expected this, since this more a glorified beta release. Still, it's the price for some old games, the line up, the cost of hardware etc that all adds up in Stadia not being what was advertised. That stings for those who already paid for this and definitely sets Google up for some hardcore criticism.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Not defending Google but I'd blame the developer on that one.

Maybe it was a case of not enough confidence on the tech or just not enough time to optimize, but better hardware doesn't always equals to better performance; we see that a lot on PC gaming overall.

So before blaming Google I'd wait for a real dev to clarify on how much difficult it is to port something to Stadia after its done on other platforms. I mean if your game doesn't have native support for Linux/Vulkan from the start it's a whole new platform to port to.

Then Google should have helped the devs with optimizing the game. Those are not some random games that are launching years into the cycle. They are "Flagship" titles for the launch of the Service. Microsoft does it, Sony does it, Nvidia does it, AMD does it.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I expected it to be a worse experience than PC, but I didn't expect it to run worse than a console.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think people expected this, since this more a glorified beta release. Still, it's the price for some old games, the line up, the cost of hardware etc that all adds up in Stadia not being what was advertised. That stings for those who already paid for this and definitely sets Google up for some hardcore criticism.

I know I certainly didn't expect it. As someone who did a lot of research, kept up with the podcasts, articles, etc... the information up to this point very much set a certain expectation.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017

mill admit I wasn't following all the bits of news since E3, but I legitimately thought the AC Odyssey thing last year was the beta. 🤷🏼‍♂️

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Google made a lot of promises about this thing that seem to be wildly off base that are a cause for concern.

But "a ton of people within the google ecosystem" doesn't really mean a lot. Yes, there are a ton of people on gmail and youtube, but stadia isn't going to get them buying console games at full price just because they don't have to buy a ps4 or xbox now. The barrier to entry for those honestly isn't that high.

The audience interested in buying and playing Destiny 2 or Tomb Raider or any of the other dozen games or so Stadia is launching with are pretty fixed. These are people who are already invested into the Playstation, Xbox, PC, and Nintendo ecosystems.

For Stadia to do anything but struggle, it's going to have to convince a very large chunk of these people to leave the ecosystems they're invested in with pre-purchased digital games and non transferrable friendlists and leave them wholesale for a platform that doesn't have a fraction of the games or userbase- 6 months before next gen platforms hit and suck all the oxygen out of the room.

It is quite frankly a bizarre proposition, and this is before considering that huge chunks of the country don't have the infrastructure to make this workable. Metro areas, yes. outside of that? no. Hell, even if you're in a metro area, 'apartment complex' wifi and 'college dorm wifi' with a crapton of people on the same network make this one a frustrating proposition at best.

It's "for" someone sure. And perhaps google will tap into an audience of dedicated gamers but honestly I can't imagine who this is.
This is like.....your opinion man. I'm not gonna argue it, just gonna say I disagree.

Some games transcend gaming into pop culture, and there is a market of people who would like to try those games, but don't because they don't want to buy and maintain dedicated hardware.

I think streaming is and always will be for those people.

Those of us who consider ourselves gamers or who would purchase dedicated gaming hardware will always prefer a local experience. That's why we buy the hardware.

To be as blunt as possible with the analogy, All the windows machines in the world didn't keep Microsoft from getting its ass kicked by apple and google when they launched a substandard smartphone.
Totally different situations. But even then you are equating "winning" with "success" Stadia could be a successful product while still "losing" to Xbox and/or PlayStation.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Remember X1X is the most powerful console in the worldso thats alright that launch STADIA games already met that bar

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The issue here is that the 60FPS no-matter-what is basically the main selling point of Stadia... you really can't put a game at 30FPS in the first day... do you think there are issues server side or it's just like that?

[btw I'm really curios about Stadia, so I'm quite surprised about this situation]

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A year of super fast internet is a lot more expensive than a PS4 Pro + Plus for a year.
A year of super fast internet for me is cheaper than I'm currently paying for broadband. Also labour wants to give everyone in the UK free fibre. We're getting to the point where internet speeds won't be a barrier for a service like Stadia. In fact for me they already aren't.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the people believing all these games would run at 4K60:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Or tell me: Since when can a Vega 56 run new AAA games at 4K60?

P.S.: 4K60 is meant for the stream. Nobody said that Ingame it would render in 4K60

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
At the people believing all these games would run at 4K60:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Or tell me: Since when can a Vega 56 run new AAA games at 4K60?

P.S.: 4K60 is meant for the stream. Nobody said that Ingame it would render in 4K60

Can you stop with the ridicule?

There's a big difference between 4K60 and 1440p/30. A lot of us expected at the very least parity with X1X.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
So with regards to data cap and usage, is it streaming 1440/30 worth the data or is it being scale and bloated to a 4k/60 about of data, essentially wasting people's data caps?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So
So with regards to data cap and usage, is it streaming 1440/30 worth the data or is it being scale and bloated to a 4k/60 about of data, essentially wasting people's data caps?

I mean, since it's an encoded video stream I would hope that two frames of data that are identical can be sent with the bandwidth of a single frame. Only the differences between frames need to be sent, correct?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
So

I mean, since it's an encoded video stream I would hope that two frames of data that are identical can be sent with the bandwidth of a single frame. Only the differences between frames need to be sent, correct?
I would hope so. But it does sound like they're getting a 1440/30 source, and spitting out a 4k/60 bitrate video stream, aka using a higher bitrate than is required for the source material.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this the case?

I could understand less than optimal settings with Red Dead 2 being so demanding, but The whole point of Stadia should be to at least stream everything at 60fps.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this the case?

I could understand less than optimal settings with Red Dead 2 being so demanding, but The whole point of Stadia should be to at least stream everything at 60fps.

Technically the stream is 60fps it's just that the game is running at 30fps.

I'm actually wondering if they are limiting resources to games in order to spread out their current hardware across more instances until they are able to get more hardware across their edge locations and data centers.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Technically the stream is 60fps it's just that the game is running at 30fps.

I'm actually wondering if they are limiting resources to games in order to spread out their current hardware across more instances until they are able to get more hardware across their edge locations and data centers.

It would be pretty stupid to be limiting resources when pretty much the only people currently using the product are those reviewing it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It would be pretty stupid to be limiting resources when pretty much the only people currently using the product are those reviewing it.

Sure but we have no idea how many blades they actually have deployed and where. What's their total footprint look like across all available markets? How many individual streams can they handle at once? I doubt we'll ever find out but the hardware they're using and the results were seeing don't add up

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Holy moly. My whole argument for Stadia possibly being successful was that it was going to be 4k/60FPS. It was all bullshit.

Stadia is done. It's game over.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I've been somewhat skeptical of Stadia due to their messaging, but this might be the first genuinely mind-boggling thing to me. It was the one thing that excused, or at least softened, the many caveats of the platform. It would be something I would accept in a subscription model, but not like this.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Stadia was especially fucked when my i9-9900k with 2080 can't get 1080p 60 at max details. A PS5 won't be able to do that. Something like Stadia is lucky to be alive after encountering RDR2.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
An OC'd Vega 56 can handle RDR2 at 1440p/60 at high settings more often than not, and yet Stadia is struggling with 1080p/60 at XB1X settings? What the hell?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That is ridiculous, running at lower settings as the Xbox One X. The main selling point of Stadia is that it is more powerful than any current console and as good as highend PCs, but without the need to actually invest in expensive hardware like that. I was interested in Stadia for only that reason. To play games looking significantly better than what my consoles or old PC is able to do. Seems absolutely pointless like this.

Jan 21, 2019
Artistic reason for 30fps?
I've heard some bullshit in my time, but this is is a big one lol.
When making Uncharted, it was an artistic decision to go for visuals rather than performance. They could lower it to have higher frames but they value visuals more. That is an artistic choice. On PC that choice is left to you, but for console developers it is an artistic choice. And please don't reduce this choice to limitations of hardware. Limitations are an inherent part of artistic endeavor. The fog in Silent Hill 1 was an artistic choice because of the limitations and so is weighing frames vs. visuals.

EDIT: I'm not defending Stadia, I pretty much hate it and what it stands for, just saying, the FPS count of a game is an artistic choice.

Nov 14, 2017
An OC'd Vega 56 can handle RDR2 at 1440p/60 at high settings more often than not, and yet Stadia is struggling with 1080p/60 at XB1X settings? What the hell?
I really hope that the people that pre-ordered this get refunded... It was clearly false advertisement.

Or stop pre-ordering shit, specially when it's some unproven streaming technology.