• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
How about explain it then instead of being mysterious?

I'm looking right at the side by side between X1X and Stadia.. there's no framerate counter or anything like that on screen.

And Eurogamer is using high speed cameras to detect the amount of frames in the feed... how would they be wrong?

If both are running 30fps then why does the stadia version look a LOT smoother. It does straight to tomb raider (confirmed to be 60) and it looks the same.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If both are running 30fps then why does the stadia version look a LOT smoother. It does straight to tomb raider (confirmed to be 60) and it looks the same.
Ok so you are a non-random Resetera user declaring something 60FPS by looking at a video on YouTube

vs

Digital Foundry using high speed cameras and years of experience analyzing framerates

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
ahh the future

P9GjV8j.jpg
Jesus that's horrible. Once this thing gets in more people's hands tomorrow, I only imagine the stress on the connection will get worse. Where did you grab the screenshot from?

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. They say RDR2 is 30fps but if you watch the GameExplain video on stadia (well worth a watch, its very comprehensive of the service of a whole) they show a side by side of stadia and Xbox one X. Stadia is clearly running RDR2 in 60fps during that clip... What gives?

Okay yeah I just watched it. Looks like 60 FPS to me.

What's going on Dark1x Dictator?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The Verge said something similar in their review with Destiny 2, Google said its outputting at 4K but according to Bungie it's actually outputting at 1080p and then being upscaled.

On the one hand, it should be, relatively speaking, easy enough to scale up the server hardware (every online service sucks at launch, I would say). On the other hand why would you upscale from 1080p to 4K for streaming game footage. What a waste of bandwidth.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

That's news to me! I've flagged it for Richard.

Makes me wonder if it's related to using the premium 4K service? Maybe when running in '4K' mode it's higher res (1440p) and 30fps. Perhaps it can do 1080p as well at a higher frame-rate? I can't check myself.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Jesus that's horrible. Once this thing gets in more people's hands tomorrow, I only imagine the stress on the connection will get worse. Where did you grab the screenshot from?

from the SA forums. Obviously its a connection spike or something, but fuck that. I'm looking forward to buying RDR2 on steam and playing it for the first time in December

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
The Verge said something similar in their review with Destiny 2, Google said its outputting at 4K but according to Bungie it's actually outputting at 1080p and then being upscaled.

Holy crap. That's atrocious. What could hold Destiny 2 back so much? If RDR2 is running at X1X levels, why isn't Destiny?

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
On the one hand, it should be, relatively speaking, easy enough to scale up the server hardware (every online service sucks at launch, I would say). On the other hand why would you upscale from 1080p to 4K for streaming game footage. What a waste of bandwidth.

Perhaps they figured enough people wouldn't notice and the TV would happily report that you are getting a 4K stream

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Thanks for actually watching the video rather than just passive-agressively writing me off šŸ˜›
I watched the video multiple times; sorry if I don't buy that any of us could tell what is running at 60 FPS from a video that's a recording of something, then re-encoded for YouTube.

vs.

Pointing a 180fps camera directly at a screen rendering the game and analyzing the results.

It's possible the games run at different framerates when doing 4k vs. 1080p but there's little chance DF is actually "wrong" in their analysis.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Every cloud promise has been complete and utter bullshit, from Microsoft's 3 xbox one's in the cloud to google's 4K60. I'm so tired of "the cloud".

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I watched the video multiple times; sorry if I don't buy that any of us could tell what is running at 60 FPS from a video that's a recording of something, then re-encoded for YouTube.

vs.

Pointing a 180fps camera directly at a screen rendering the game and analyzing the results.

It's possible the games run at different framerates when doing 4k vs. 1080p but there's little chance DF is actually "wrong" in their analysis.
That side by side is showing exactly what the poster suggests though.

There's a lot that could account for it, but it definitely looks smoother. DF make mistakes. They correct them too when people are kind enough to point them out.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That side by side is showing exactly what the poster suggests though..
It definitely looks smoother, way smoother; slowing it down to .25x makes that even more obvious.

I'm just not confident proclaiming that means it's 60FPS; we are talking about 2 disparate videos using possibly different equipment / encoding then run into some other video editing software to do the side by side/etc.

I mean I HOPE it's 60FPS; that would make the 1440p decision make way more sense.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It definitely looks smoother, way smoother; slowing it down to .25x makes that even more obvious.

I'm just not confident proclaiming that means it's 60FPS; we are talking about 2 disparate videos using possibly different equipment / encoding then run into some other video editing software to do the side by side/etc.

I mean I HOPE it's 60FPS; that would make the 1440p decision make way more sense.
We can definitely both agree on that!

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remember when Phil Straight Talkin' Spencer was interviewed by Giant Bomb @ E3 and said for now your best quality is still local hardware? That streaming's primary benefit was for mobile play?

I remember.

I also remember Jack Bullshittin' Buser. Giant Bomb saw right through it all, too.

Cult of Phil endures, Spencer will always be the good Phil.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
That side by side is showing exactly what the poster suggests though.

There's a lot that could account for it, but it definitely looks smoother. DF make mistakes. They correct them too when people are kind enough to point them out.

I did not do the capture of stadia, but I did watch some clips Richard sent to me. Ultra high quality encodes, and they were indeed 30 fps. Dual frames in 60 Hz feed.
The clips were 4k 60 Hz, and were very obviously 30 fps for the game.

For example, i was stepping through them frame by frame to find aliasing and that required me to skip 2 frames to see unique ones

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I did not do the capture of stadia, but I did watch some clips Richard sent to me. Ultra high quality encodes, and they were indeed 30 fps. Dual frames in 60 Hz feed.

For example, i was stepping through them frame by frame to find aliasing and that required me to skip 2 frames to see unique ones

Would be pretty interesting if it is 60fps when in 1080p mode. The GameExplain video is not in 4k as far as I can tell.

Murdy Plops : Sorry if I came across rude... I just don't like proclaiming things from YouTube videos vs. people like DF who do in depth analysis. But it does look way smoother than the X1X footage.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Did you get a chance to watch the gamexplain clip? I don't doubt Richard knows 30fps when he sees it. Perhaps John is right about there potentially being different results at different resolutions... Or gamexplain really messed up.

Still 1440p 60 should be theoretically doable given what we've been told about the stadia hardware...thats why I think this deserves a closer look.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that they don't dedicate a single server blade to a single user at any given time. That is probably something that should have been expected and it's cost effective. For most uses, you probably can't tell the difference after it is encoded to a video anyway. It has to go through close inspection to tell apart and it was never going to look as good as native.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Still 1440p 60 should be theoretically doable given what we've been told about the stadia hardware...thats why I think this deserves a closer look.

I dunno though; doing some research I found several articles testing Vega-64/56 cards that couldn't hit 60FPS @1440p with RDR2.

That's with what they claimed were "high" settings, not Ultra or anything.

I'm betting for consistency sake Google requires games be either locked 30 or locked 60 FPS.

Example:

They hit 60FPS average @1080p tho.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Would be pretty interesting if it is 60fps when in 1080p mode. The GameExplain video is not in 4k as far as I can tell.

Murdy Plops : Sorry if I came across rude... I just don't like proclaiming things from YouTube videos vs. people like DF who do in depth analysis. But it does look way smoother than the X1X footage.

No harm done. Thanks... Sounds daft but it means a lot šŸ˜

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No harm done. Thanks... Sounds daft but it means a lot šŸ˜
lol, people rarely apologize or admit wrong on the internet.. I try to do both, usually :)

It really does look smooth as fuck in that game explain video. I didn't notice how smooth it looked until I slowed down to .25x. Now I kinda want to puke from the choppy X1X footage lol

But it could be any number of factors; it is a really good video but I'm not sure of Game Explains expertise on video encoding and whatnot.. could have some frame interpolation BS enabled or something for the Stadia footage. (i'm certainly no expert either)

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
lol, people rarely apologize or admit wrong on the internet.. I try to do both, usually :)

It really does look smooth as fuck in that game explain video. I didn't notice how smooth it looked until I slowed down to .25x. Now I kinda want to puke from the choppy X1X footage lol

But it could be any number of factors; it is a really good video but I'm not sure of Game Explains expertise on video encoding and whatnot.. could have some frame interpolation BS enabled or something for the Stadia footage. (i'm certainly no expert either)

Tell me about it. I finished the campaign on Xbox One X but it only looks 'bad' when you compare it to higher frame rates. I'm torn with what to do with my stadia pre order. I think I'll have a fiddle with it for a few weeks then decide.