• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have this game on PC, but I've never been able to get the Xbox Controller properly working for it. Is there some sort of hack or trick for this?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It never stops being shocking how big the gulf between ps2/gc and xbox was with these games. Obviously the GC was closer to the Xbox than the ps2 in power, but not close enough to make the port easier I guess. Xbox felt really next gen towards the end there, so much so that early 360 games don't seem that much better looking to me still, aside from being 720p mostly.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chaos Theory still looks great for a 16 years old game on a 6th generation console!
Don't remember why didn't finish Chaos Theory. Really loved Splinter Cell and Pandora Tomorrow even more than that, and also finished all other SC games, but Chaos Theory... I had it on Xbox and according to players and critics, it had amazing quality but I just played 2 or 3 missions and don't know why!

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The original Xbox was such an amazing machine, and it's library was so good to. All my mates had PS2's, I sold mine to get the Xbox and it was the best decision for me at the time.

One of my mates finished Chaos Theory on the PS2, and when he saw it on my Xbox his jaw just dropped ha ha. Such a good game though; I really hope the series makes a comeback.

Nov 8, 2017
I love how the only Nintendo handheld since the GBA that hasn't had a Chaos Theory port is the Switch. The Switch is also the only one that would be capable of pulling it off properly!

The 3DS port is particularly cursed, since they replace the vision modes with just a single mode reminiscent of the Conviction one.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
They at least somewhat tried with this PS2 version, compared to their previous attempts. But I remember playing this on Xbox for the first time... Those normal maps and that lighting looked so fucking good - I was completely blown away.

It was way ahead of its time and truly showed how capable the original Xbox was. I don't think we'll see a leap that big again like we did with programmable shaders.

Maybe we could see a similar leap with full RT combined with real geometry (essentially getting rid of and replacing normal maps).

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
It never stops being shocking how big the gulf between ps2/gc and xbox was with these games. Obviously the GC was closer to the Xbox than the ps2 in power, but not close enough to make the port easier I guess. Xbox felt really next gen towards the end there, so much so that early 360 games don't seem that much better looking to me still, aside from being 720p mostly.

GC wasn't a power house.

If you could extract from GC/WII you could do amazing things like light scattering or global illumination as factor 5 found out. Xbox never did that even in a title like this.

Raw power and good shader language do have it's benefits though.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I will die on the hill that Chaos Theory is a better stealth game than Snake Eater.
And do not sleep on Double Agent OgXbox, too!

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm going to dream of a Chaos Theory sequel/Splinter Cell reboot tonight and imagine all the raytracing effects...

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Chaos Theory absolutely needs a remake. Shore up some of the mechanical jank and you've got true perfection.
I still consider that Chaos Theory has still the best stealth controls on a PC game. The only jank in this game is shooting and the game isn't designed for the player to go gung-ho (sorry DF but that gameplay was painful to watch).

Being actually able to change the character speed with the mouse wheel is still something that I wish more stealth games had. Splinter Cell CT makes the best use of analog movement in a game period as basically every stealth game only have three sound perception stages (even Thief series) you are either crouch/creep and completely silent, walking and making little noise or sprinting and making the hell out of noise.

Splinter Cell CT is as perfect as it is and wish it source code was open or had released with modding tools as I would love to have something similar to The Dark Mod.

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
wait this was a late gen release? i must be going crazy cause i used to watch extended play (before they changed to x-play) back in the day and remember adam sessler gushing about this game's lighting effects. but that was early in the gen, not later
You're probably thinking of the original Splinter Cell game (2002). It was one of the first games to use fully interactive real time lighting in the way they did, at least on a console. It looked absolutely fucking insane at the time. Crazy that Chaos Theory would come along and put it to shame years later on the same hardware.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GC wasn't a power house.

If you could extract from GC/WII you could do amazing things like light scattering or global illumination as factor 5 found out. Xbox never did that even in a title like this.

Raw power and good shader language do have it's benefits though.
I didn't say GC was a powerhouse lol, I said it was closer to xbox than ps2, but the xbox was a fucking beast.
You're probably thinking of the original Splinter Cell game (2002). It was one of the first games to use fully interactive real time lighting in the way they did, at least on a console. It looked absolutely fucking insane at the time. Crazy that Chaos Theory would come along and put it to shame years later on the same hardware.
Yeah, SC1 was also a looker, all three games on xbox were amazing showcases, it was crazy how much improved chaos theory was over Splinter Cell 1, which was already just miles beyond the ps2 stuff going on.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017

ah looks like you are indeed correct. for some strange reason i thought chaos theory was the first splinter cell.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Is dgVoodoo2 open source? Would there be anything preventing Ubisoft from bundling that with Pandora Tomorrow so it could get a Uplay/Steam/Epic release?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from games like Splinter Cell, the biggest advantage the Xbox had was its relatively clear images compared to the PS2 and Gamecube.

I remember watching Soul Calibur 2 on my friend's PS2 and thinking...how are you playing this?

I see the comparisons of image quality in 4k and wonder if anyone remembers what it was like to play games on a PS2.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Aside from games like Splinter Cell, the biggest advantage the Xbox had was its relatively clear images compared to the PS2 and Gamecube.

I remember watching Soul Calibur 2 on my friend's PS2 and thinking...how are you playing this?

I see the comparisons of image quality in 4k and wonder if anyone remembers what it was like to play games on a PS2.

I definitely remember. Compared to Dreamcast and Xbox I always found the PS1 and PS2 image quality rough. I was happy to play Virtua Fighter 4 on my friend's PS2 but man did those jaggies stick out compared to SoulCalibur 1 on Dreamcast, even on a CRT.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Even the DS version of this game is surpringly good.

The framerate is horrible, and gets even worse when you use night/thermal vision (which you use a lot), but control-wise it was impressively fully festured

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I definitely remember. Compared to Dreamcast and Xbox I always found the PS1 and PS2 image quality rough. I was happy to play Virtua Fighter 4 on my friend's PS2 but man did those jaggies stick out compared to SoulCalibur 1 on Dreamcast, even on a CRT.
People were complaining about PS2 jaggies before it even launched, an exec said it would support AA by launch, but it was another one of Sony's classic fibs.
To be fair though, Xbox came out almost 2 years later, so the difference in power was going to be there.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Anytime someone mentions CT, I think about what a graphical showcase it was for the Xbox. I was blown away and none of the games in the series since have had the same drenched in shadows atmosphere.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
When this game originally came out I remember agonizing over whether to get the GameCube version (that was the only console I had) or try to run the PC version on my modest laptop. Playing the PC version at probably medium graphics in blurry 1024 x 768 turned out to be the right decision.