• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Alongside Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Insomniac has updated the original Marvel's Spider-Man to run on PlayStation 5. In this detailed analysis, John Linneman compares Spider-Man on PS5 to the PS4 Pro version, finding a range of improvements. Plus he takes a closer look at the new ray traced performance mode, which delivers 60fps gaming with RT on top. How does it work and how did Insomniac deliver it?

Written version: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-spider-man-remastered-tech-analysis

While Spider-Man: Miles Morales was a key launch title for PlayStation 5, the next-gen remaster of the webslinger's first outing is well worth checking out. This isn't just the PS4 Pro version operating at a higher resolution: there's a bunch of visual improvements from new assets, refined lighting and of course, the addition of hardware-accelerated ray tracing. Indeed, a recent patch has added support for RT at 60 frames per second - an enhancement present on both of the Spider-Man titles available for PS5. Developer Insomniac has also solved the issue of transferring save data across from the original PS4 game, making this is an excellent way to continue the story if you never finished the game.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I originally played Miles Morales the on 30fps mode to enjoy that sweet ray tracing but I would have preferred to play it this way. I love that DF is revisiting games after updates.. not like they didnt have enough to cover as it is but games are constantly changing now.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm planning to play Miles at some point soon. Is it bad that I am afraid of being given so many options lol? I have a hard time going back to 1080p nowadays, but I would love to see RT in 60fps. That being said, overall image LOD and citizen density is reduced in this new RT Performance mode, which would mean the best visuals would be in the Quality setting, which only runs at 30fps...

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
So is the RT/ 60fps at 1080p?

I'm sitting close enough to my screen currently that it would be a harsh downgrade and tradeoff to play this mode with my current set up.

Edit: Mainly asking because I can't watch right now.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm planning to play Miles at some point soon. Is it bad that I am afraid of being given so many options lol? I have a hard time going back to 1080p nowadays, but I would love to see RT in 60fps. That being said, overall image LOD and citizen density is reduced in this new RT Performance mode, which would mean the best visuals would be in the Quality setting, which only runs at 30fps...
I played it in quality mode first for the RT and then I did performance RT. The density reduction is minor compared to the 60 FPS.

1440p

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Performance RT is the easy decision for me and I would recommend starting on that. I think the density is still higher than PS4, or at least it's higher than the original Spider-Man was. If you're looking you can spot the differences but in general play the game animated so smoothly, feels great, and the RT reflections add a lot to certain scenes. It's a great balance because while there are multiple cuts to get there, they spread the change over multiple settings so it's not one single huge hit. I'm extremely impressed and am floored we got a AAA open-world game at launch running at 60fps.

I'm sitting close enough to my screen currently that it would be a harsh downgrade and tradeoff to play this mode with my current set up.

It's still using dynamic res+reconstruction. You can tell the res is lower but it's not a massive hit like going all the way down to 1080p

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I played it in quality mode first for the RT and then I did performance RT. The density reduction is minor compared to the 60 FPS.

1440p

I believe it's actually dynamic up to 4K, with 1440p being the baseline it usually hits.
However, since it uses temporal injection, double the frame-rate should actually reduce ghosting and similar artifacts since there's more information on how to reconstruct frames.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland

Mostly 1440p, with temporal injection upscaling which is really good. Looks super sharp and crisp on my 65" OLED. RT and 60FPS are more than worth the res drop.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I believe it's actually dynamic up to 4K, with 1440p being the baseline it usually hits.
However, since it uses temporal injection, double the frame-rate should actually reduce ghosting and similar artifacts since there's more information on how to reconstruct frames.
Oh, absolutely. It looks amazing and it's the sweet spot I hope all developers go for. Native 4K is such a waste when reconstruction is getting better and better.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017

1440p
Performance RT is the easy decision for me and I would recommend starting on that. I think the density is still higher than PS4, or at least it's higher than the original Spider-Man was. If you're looking you can spot the differences but in general play the game animated so smoothly, feels great, and the RT reflections add a lot to certain scenes. It's a great balance because while there are multiple cuts to get there, they spread the change over multiple settings so it's not one single huge hit. I'm extremely impressed and am floored we got a AAA open-world game at launch running at 60fps.

It's still using dynamic res+reconstruction. You can tell the res is lower but it's not a massive hit like going all the way down to 1080p
Mostly 1440p, with temporal injection upscaling which is really good. Looks super sharp and crisp on my 65" OLED. RT and 60FPS are more than worth the res drop.

Whoa! That's extremely impressive! Can't wait jump back in after I wrap up Cyberpunk (XSX) and Demon's Souls.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a blast revisiting Spiderman on PS5, but it's funny to me how every time I see side-by-side comparisons of the new version and the old version, I almost always like the artistic choices and color on the old version better (and it's not just because I was more familiar with it - I played it through once at launch and that's it). It's not something I thought about while playing the remaster, of course, it requires actual side-by-side comparisons for me to notice. Still, kind of hammers home for me yet again how raytracing is not even a fraction as important as good art and lighting direction.

The 60fps mode is really what made it all worth it IMO.

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely notice the visual quality hit with this mode. Unsure if I'll stick with it or not, but it does feel great at 60fps

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Like said in the other thread, playing 7 differences with the modes can make you feel like there a lot of scale back but actually playing is a different story.

It looks incredible while running incredible. When you're moving around and you still see everything reflected your eyes see that. While no reflection of the other perf mode was jarring. The 60 fps makes it so much more fluid. Decent compromise for great experience.

TL;DW
OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
TL;DW
  • Quality mode present targeting native 4K most of the time, but Dynamic Resolution is also present, dropping to 1800P in the worst case.
  • Performance mode targets near 4k, with DRS lowest resolution being 1440P.
  • Performance RT tops at 1440P, dropping to 1080P in the worst situation, this also applies to Miles Morales. The game usually stays at 1440P, which makes image quality similar to PS4 PRO version, of course with a higher frame rate, fidelity and ray tracing.
  • Introductory sequence demonstrates the huge asset quality improvement, with texture, shadows and lighting remade.
  • Strand system present in MM is also here, making a way more realistic hair rending possible.
  • Characters with skin shading and teeth enhanced, some improvements are also enabled during gameplay, like subsurface scattering.
  • Position of sun and shadows changed in remaster, mainly an artistic change rather than a technical one.
  • In some cases the remaster looks very similar to the original PS4 PRO game, which highlights what Insomniac did on the PS4.
  • Distant details are improved, with additonal meshers and building normals being visible from across the world, giving better details.
  • Traffic with a better draw distance, but no noticeable improvement, the same with street density, all similar to PS4 PRO game(in RT PERFORMANCE)
  • Texture details are way better, from streets to small environment details.
  • Switching back to MM shows the graphical evolution between both games, but Insomniac did a great job in almost making the PS4 game similar to MM, refining a already great experience.
  • Ray tracing explanation(y'all already know what it does)
  • Implementing a ray tracing option in 60FPS is way harder, the bigger frame time increases the need for optimizations by a lot.
  • Ray tracing resolution is scalled according to the native resolution. In the native 4K mode, reflection resolution is 1080P, in RT performance mode at 1440P, reflection resolutions are 720, or lower when the image resolution drops. You can see the decrease in detail when looking closely to resolutions, which is hardly the case when you are playing
  • Shadow maps from buildings and static objects are still present, but dynamic objects like the player and cars are either removed or reduced, but is not a noticeable change.
  • Pedestrians and cars fades away in the reflections in a shorter distance, not a noticeable change.
  • Some animations in reflections are at lower frame rates so is not 1:1.
  • Those cutbacks are impressive, since they only change the quality of the reflection, not the number of surfaces with reflections in the game, making all very acceptable reductions.
  • Some places have the material changed in order to take advantage of Ray tracing, giving a huge boost in quality.
  • Puddle gate REDEEMED, the infamous puddles in Fisk Construction site now shows proper reflections, not only similar but better and more accurate than E3's 2017 demo.
  • Reflections details quality, such as trees, are improved compared to pre-release material.
  • This is an impressive feat by Insmoniac, it doesn't guarantees anything since we don't know what will be the complexity of next-gen games, but it bodes well.
  • Almost flawless 60FPS. Dips occurs in 3 situations. Cutscenes, when the scene becomes more demanding(like with explosions or a lot of particles), and duplicated frames, either in gameplay and in camera cuts, which is a problem also present in Miles Morales.
  • Both MM and Remastered have a very good frame rate in gameplay, with a frame here and there dropping(to 59~58).
  • Loadings are instanteneous, Insomniac is currently at the top of the industry in this aspect.
  • Save transfer is a little convoluted, you need to have the PS4 version in your system to transfer it, it works but it could be better.

Last edited:

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
TL;DW
  • Quality mode present targetting native 4K most of the time, but Dynamic Resolution is also present, dropping to 1800P in the worst case.
  • Performance mode targets near 4k, with DRS lowest resolution being 1440P.
  • Performance RT tops at 1440P, dropping to 1080P in the worst situation, this also applies to Miles Morales. The game usually stays at 1440P, which makes image quality similar to PS4 PRO version, of course with a higher frame rate, fidelity and ray tracing.
  • Introductory sequence demonstrates the huge asset quality improvement, with texture, shadows and lighting remade.
  • Strand system present in MM is also here, making a way more realistic hair rending possible.
  • Characters with skin shading and teeth, some improvements are also enabled on during gameplay, like subsurface scattering.
  • Position of sun and shadows changed in remaster, mainly an artistic change rather than a technical one.
  • In some cases the remaster looks very similar to the original PS4 PRO game, which highlights what Insomniac did on the PS4.
  • Distant details are improved, with additonal meshers and building normals are visible from across the world, giving better details.
  • Traffic with a better draw distance, but no noticable improvement, the same with street density, all similar to PS4 PRO game(in RT PERFORMANCE)
  • Texture details are way better, from streets to small enviroment details.
  • Switching back to MM shows the graphical evolution between both games, but Insomniac did a great job in almost making the PS4 game similar to MM, refining a already great experience.
  • Ray tracing explanation(y'all already know what it does)
  • Implementing a ray tracing option in 60FPS is way harder, the bigger frame time increases the need for optimizations by a lot.
  • Ray tracing resolution is scalled accordlngy to the native resolution. In the native 4K mode, reflection resolution is 1080P, in RT performance mode at 1440P, reflection resolutions are 720, or lower when the image resolution drops. You can see the decrease in detail when looking closely to resolutions, which is hardly the case when you are playing
  • Shadow maps from buldings and static objects are still present, but dynamic objects like the player and cars are either removed or reduced, but is not a noticable change.
  • Pedestrian and cars fades away in the reflections in a shorter distance, not a noticable change.
  • Some animations in reflections are at lower frame rates so is not 1:1.
  • Those cutbacks are impressive, since they only change the quality of the reflection, not the number of surfaces with reflections in the game, making all very acceptable reductions.
  • Some places have the material changed in order to take advantage of Ray tracing, giving a huge boost in quality.
  • Puddle gate REDEEMED, the infamous puddles in Fisk Construction site now shows proper reflections, not only similar but better and more accurate than E3's 2017 demo.
  • Reflections details quality, such as trees, are improved compared to pre-release material.
  • This is an impressive feat by Insmoniac, it doesn't guarantees anything since we don't know what will be the complexity of next-gen games, but it bodes well.
  • Almost flawless 60FPS. Dips occurs in 3 situations. Cutscenes, when the scene becomes more demanding(like with explosions or a lot of particles), and duplicate frames, either in gameplay and in camera cuts, which is problem also present in Miles Morales.
  • Both MM and Remastered have a very good frame rate in gameplay, with a frame here and there dropping(to 59~58).
  • Loadings are instanteneous, Insomniac is currently at the top of the industry in this aspect.
  • Save transfer is a little convoluted, you need to have the PS4 version in your system to transfer it, it works but it could be better.
👏🙌

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
If you're on the fence about what mode to play in, I cannot stress how good the Performance RT mode is. I sit pretty close to my 65" OLED, and I'm not sure what the resolution actually is (looks like DF says 1080p to 1440p most of the time), but it looks fantastic and not much of a difference from the native 4K 30FPS mode. I can't see why anyone would have any regrets about choosing this over the native 4K mode. Insomniac has me out here thinking about a second full playthrough of SM Remastered and a third playthrough of MM.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Insomniac have already exceeded the performance I thought was possible in a ray-traced open world on console. Absolute geniuses.

Oct 27, 2017
Let me see if I understand this... I need a physical copy or a digital copy of Spiderman PS4 to transfer my save file even though my save file is on the cloud? If so, that is a huge bummer since I sold my copy along with my PS4 when I got the PS5.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017

I m playing spiderman remastered on a 75 inch screen and pretty close to it. I can see a little bit more shimmering on performance RT but there is not a huge difference in image quality. Very easy to live with it for the fps increase and smoothness with small cutback like these ones. And I nevet have any issue playing 30fps usually.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Let me see if I understand this... I need a physical copy or a digital copy of Spiderman PS4 to transfer my save file even though my save file is on the cloud? If so, that is a huge bummer since I sold my copy along with my PS4 when I got the PS5.
yes, you need a copy of Spider-Man PS4. PS4 and PS5 saves on a system level are incompatible, so every game that has cross-save functionality needs you to either manually upload the save from within the game, or have already have the data stored server-side (for instance with online/GaaS games).

Maybe you can lend the game from someone, or use an account from someone else that has the game, how inconvenient that may be.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I just started playing on the 60RT mode and I really like it. I tried the quality mode for a minute but it felt so sluggish I immediately switched back.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I did try to use this Performance RT mode, but it may be me sitting too close to the TV as the drop in resolution was noticeable. I went back to Performance mode and will keep playing that way.
Also, I did try playing on Quality mode and man, the 30fps in that mode has become somewhat unplayable for me... something I didn't think I'd ever say. Is there something weird with the 30 fps option?

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You need to have access to your PS4 version, it doesn't have to be on the same PS5 as your remastered version, (e.g. you can launch it on your old PS4 to export the save) but in order to transfer the save you need to launch the PS4 version, because the remaster is not using the one saved in PS+. In the save selection menu on your PS4 you have an option to upload one of your save, and then in the remaster you have an option to download the save from the same menu.

Oct 25, 2017
Performance RT is my favorite mode in Miles Morales. I'll most definitely replay the first Spider-Man with the same mode next year. Insomniac doing great job.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
What a bummer! Wish they would have said this from the beginning instead of that a transfer wasn't possible.
I feel this. I gave my old copy of Spidey PS4 to a former student at the beginning of the pandemic, and then realized a few weeks ago I needed the disc to bring over my saves, as my PS+ cloud saves did not suffice.

So I borrowed it back for an evening, and let him have it again.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Tbf, initially they didn't even offered the cross-save, because it would require patching the PS4 version and they only added it after the PS5 release due to popular demand.
Yeah I'm thinking they had to make a workaround. Seems like what happens is that the save file is tagged to be PS5 compatible on upload with the new update and then it can download or something like that but you can't retroactively make that happen.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Watching breakdowns with comparisons like this really solidifies how much more important 60FPS is to me than 4K this generation. I think in this day and age there are all sorts of things you can do to an image to give it a sharp, clean look besides the brute force approach of throwing more pixel density at it. 60FPS however has an absolutely massive effect on the overall impact of a game for me and going back to older games with backward compatibility has really highlighted that. Playing PS4 games like Borderlands 3, GOT, No Man's Sky and Destiny in 60FPS makes them feel literally like brand new experiences. On the next gen gaming side, Demon's Souls, Dirt 5, Spiderman. I just can't play these games in anything less than 60! I'm so glad developers are offering these options. I hope this is the trend going forward. Give the player the choice on how we want to experience the game. I'm so glad they were able to get RT working in 60 FPS in Spiderman so I can play it properly now and not sacrifice that sweet sweet 60FPS! ha

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
And they delivered this before their Christmas break which started yesterday.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive work by insomniac, they're really setting that bad as far as high performance RT is concerned.

But... I do wonder why they left the basic performance mode in there. Why not just have a 30fps RT mode and the new 60fps RT mode? Why would anyone ever pick the performance mode without RT now?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I did try to use this Performance RT mode, but it may be me sitting too close to the TV as the drop in resolution was noticeable. I went back to Performance mode and will keep playing that way.
Also, I did try playing on Quality mode and man, the 30fps in that mode has become somewhat unplayable for me... something I didn't think I'd ever say. Is there something weird with the 30 fps option?

Spiderman has a good 30 FPS mode like other first party games, but when you can change it to 60 on the fly (instead of ONLY having the 30 FPS option) your brain definitely notices the difference. Played Spiderman on PS4 with no issues but can't play these games now without that option.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Impressive work by insomniac, they're really setting that bad as far as high performance RT is concerned.

But... I do wonder why they left the basic performance mode in there. Why not just have a 30fps RT mode and the new 60fps RT mode? Why would anyone ever pick the performance mode without RT now?
Higher res, I suppose?

Mar 17, 2019
I've never had this experience before, but I genuinely prefer the fidelity mode to either 60fps mode. I think the extra bling looks amazing on 4K HDR.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ngl, this is another reason as to why you wait a few weeks to play a new game, save for maybe Nintendo first party titles that generally don't get patched up too much

This would have been amazing to have at launch, really good that everyone playing at christmas can enjoy this although 90% of them won't understand what RT is XD

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Now we wait for the PS5 Pro where Dynamic 4K 60FPS RT will be standard

Oct 27, 2017
It looks wonderful but my game has hung up twice while using it. The first and only times it has happened since I got my PS5.

camac002

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman has a good 30 FPS mode like other first party games, but when you can change it to 60 on the fly (instead of ONLY having the 30 FPS option) your brain definitely notices the difference. Played Spiderman on PS4 with no issues but can't play these games now without that option.

Yep, definitely a brain adjustment thing. Seen plenty of streamers instant switch between 30/60 modes in this game and others, and they are convinced that the 30 mode is running at like 25 fps. Nope. Solid 30. Usually takes me a few minutes to get used to it. If I play those games at 30 from bootup then it's okay for me. Instant switching between 60/120 barely has much of an effect on me though. I probably notice its slower for about 5 seconds then I get used to it.