• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic video. Some people - esp. on Twitter - are in for a rude awakening when neither PS5 nor XSX will deliver on RT at 4K res ray traced reflections. Not even a 3090 can do that, so why would 500 USD consoles be able to do so?
Well. My 3080 can, at 60 and 4K.
DLSS magic of course ;)

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Being a J K Rowling fan you don 't have issues with those 2 though right?

J K who?

Wtf is wrong with you
Oh, well then by all means jump to the most incendiary and uncharitable conclusion imaginable.
So you just jumped to a conclusion based on your prejudices. No room for discussion or anything. Just wanting some outrage eh? You are a fucking dumbass
How about this - no it is not a duelling scar. Not everyone that has a scar on their face is a fascist and that was an incredibly dumb assumption to make.

You are right, I've been an idiot. I'm sorry for making this assumption, even though there are obviously other ways to obtain a scar on your face. I'm sorry for derailing the thread and for talking about something so personal without knowing the facts. Es tut mir Leid.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
great video on multiple levels

- primer on ray tracing
- context for why Spiderman isn't crappy even though those screenshots were nit-picked to death on the internet (because of course they are)
- comparisons on PC games that do ray tracing which is invaluable because hopefully it shows that compromise is needed everywhere for ray tracing. All this talk about DLSS is partly because RT is so heavy

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Brilliant video to demonstrate how computationally expensive RT effects can be. It is still early days for the tech & I am looking forward to seeing the clever tricks that will be implemented by devs to continue to improve quality of the features as the generation goes on.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Very interesting video.

Not that I think that arm-chair devs here will bother watching it or pay any attention to it, but it's good to see someone break down the actual technical reasons for these compromises. People expecting 4k/60/HDR/Ray Traced games without compromises are going to be in for a reality check when they realize these boxes don't have the power and still need to make compromises to get the best effect. New consoles aren't making that all go away regardless of how big a jump in power we're getting and devs will do the best they can with the hardware they're working with.
All the more reason I wish the consoles were designed and scheduled to release next year, especially with how much it looks like most games will in fact just be cross gen from Sony/Microsoft for the first year.

Really sucks how this gen is falling, right on the fault line of a major shift toward ray tracing and AI learning, but because the consoles feature entry level and first gen hardware capable of rendering it, the entire gen is going to be saddled by it unfortunately. Which means most games will be stuck using either old lighting techniques or having to mix in and do both. So it's sort of some of the benefits but all of the drawbacks. Which means based on how expensive AAA creation is, we are unlikely to see any ground up RT designed games for another 5-8 years. And that's sort of depressing.

Last edited:

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Great video dude. Both systems are apparently handling way more than I expected out of the gate. Still years away from full solutions on reasonably priced hardware.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
This is a fantastic lesson on rt budgets. It's going to be interesting to see what tricks devs can come up with throughout next gen to improve efficiencies.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Ray tracing at 30 fps for an open world game seems to be very expensive, it will probably be very rare to see 60 fps open world games with ray tracing.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ray tracing at 30 fps for an open world game seems to be very expensive, it will probably be very rare to see 60 fps open world games with ray tracing.
Yea.We will see in next gen racing games like foza and GT or cross gen games but not in graphically demanding open world next gen games.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping there will be more PS5 games with performance modes l honestly don't care for these 1st gen (AMD HW) raytracing effects.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
This video is basically a must watch going into the new console generation. Excellent work as always, extremely informative.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Look on the bright side Alex - you get a participation credit on the new frontrunner for "Worst ResetEra Take 2020" award.

That post is in contention for worst Era take of all time honestly.

I doubt an Era parody account could even come up with such an insane, spaced out comment.

Jul 26, 2018
Good explanation but not sure why you compare the ps5 GPU to a 2060s based on bandwidth. It shares same bandwidth speed as 2080 too. Will be fun to see where the card stacks once digital foundry goes hands on with the third party games next month.

I feel like Dictator likes to take little shots at consoles. Comparing it to a 2060s was not only off but I feel another one of those little jabs he takes every now and then. Def get the PC master race vibe off Dictator. Not trying to stoke any fire and I could care less, this was something I've noticed since he started doing more videos over at digital foundry
Couldn't watch the video, do we know how Ps5 and XBX compare in terms of bandwidth and RT? Beyond the TFs.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I completely expected 30fps was the general fps target for RT effects. I'm just happy to have them, honestly. Also graphics options in console games is exciting.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
People not understanding what the new tech stuff is and expecting way too much from it is par for the course at this point, so it's great to have an educational video on this.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I knew I had to be worried when I saw this get to page 3. I leave for an hour and even this thread becomes a shitshow huh?

Is it really impossible to have a conversation in the Gaming side without controversy, meta or not? Specially given it's people openly going against a fellow user. Holy shit.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting that this remaster is claiming dynamic 4k. Surprised this was necessary.

• Experience the critically acclaimed hit with updated graphical assets and in stunning dynamic 4K/HDR*. And experience swinging through New York and combat as an experienced Spider-Man with an optional performance mode that takes advantage of Insomniac's temporal injection for dynamic 4K/60fps*.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Seeing this kind of stuff just added to a remaster for launch and having it look that good makes me very excited to see what we get after a few years. I'll be pretty excited to replay the game itself because I never did the dlc so I might as well complete the rest of it now.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
All the more reason I wish the consoles were designed and scheduled to release next year, especially with how much it looks like most games will in fact just be cross gen from Sony/Microsoft for the first year.

Really sucks how this gen is falling, right on the fault line of a major shift toward ray tracing and AI learning, but because the consoles feature entry level and first gen hardware capable of rendering it, the entire gen is going to be saddled by it unfortunately. Which means most games will be stuck using either old lighting techniques or having to mix in and do both. So it's sort of some of the benefits but all of the drawbacks. Which means based on how expensive AAA creation is, we are unlikely to see any ground up RT designed games for another 5-8 years. And that's sort of depressing.

I know my opinion doesn't mean much but others besides me have mentioned this holding for the first 3 gens of rt gpus due devs and slow implementation.

We should be happy AMD is not behind and is about turing level not worse which is where were a lot months thought rdna2 would end up. Seeing some of sony's devs do this in very little time bolds well for the gen. We will have to use mixed designs for RT because it will hit performance for sometime, but the difference from before is it's no longer prohibitive. You couldn't try this in any other gen even if you wanted too certainly not at 1080p+.

I will take any title with this over old shit lighting with no pbr or correction for GI/RT based lighting.

What would be more depressing to me is if it was nvidia just pushing this forward. Gotta start somewhere with devs being familiar before they can let loose and run with it. nvidia just pushing this forward. Gotta start somewhere with devs being familiar before they can let loose and run with it.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the one good take away is the Series S shouldn't be too hampered if RT isn't that good on the PS5 and X.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the video and the explanation was very clear and concise, great job Alex. Hopefully people will come to understand these new consoles are not magic boxes with unlimited power, although I've already seen threads in resetera talking about how great they'll be now that the games won't be compromised in any way, which is completely delusional.

And regarding this:

Not to derail the thread, but I didn't watch more than a few seconds because of the duelling scar in his face. Might be a little extreme, but I have principles.

Disappointed, but not surprised to read someone jumping to such an absurd conclusion in this forum.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Chapeau !

Gonna be interesting to see how those optimization will improve during the generation and how UE5 Lumen performs in games

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

That's a tough game to play though. When will AMD have their tech up to snuff for raytracing and AI? This is their first swing at raytracing on their chips, and as far as we know, they don't have anything for AI upscaling publicly available. Even Nvidia, who has a real head start on things, I only a month ago announced cards that seem to finally be delivering on this tech in a substantial way (And at a premium of price).

Even if the consoles had been designed around releasing next holiday season, we would still be straddling a line. Existing consoles are long in the tooth, and need an upgrade, but to get the promise of these features, I think it's likely they would need to be delayed another year on top, and 2022 is a long way away. The best bet for seeing these features in a more uncompromised form is to wait for half-step consoles (Or build a PC), but my then, who knows what new and exciting features will be on the horizon? At some point, consoles just have to put a stake in the ground and say, "This is our target, and we'll do what we can from there."

I guess Xbox Series X will do better

In that it is some percentage more powerful and that power should be used somewhere, sure, it may be some amount better. But if you think these same compromises and techniques won't be employed to nearly the same degree on Xbox, you're going to be sadly mistaken. It's as likely that power ends up used on something wholly different though.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible video. Very educational. I know a ton mpre about RT now than I did before. Compromises will need to be made on both consoles, and eventually people will understand that.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Great content. Love these deep dives that are easy to understand.
Pretty cool what they're pulling off for a launch title. I'm sure they'll easily fool me once things are in motion. Can't wait to see what they'll be able to do once the teams had some more time with the kits.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering about that last step in the pipeline, denoising... could that be accellerated by machine learning? Maybe via tensor cores or whatever AMD's new chips will have?

Actually, there's no "tensor core" on RDNA 2 for ML. ML is "accelerated" by having the shader pipeline supporting int 8 & 4 bits, basically math crunchers, but at the sacrifice that you can't concurrently use the FP32/16 for rasterization at the same time. Digital Foundry/Eurogamer has deep dived into this a couple of times now, hot chip 2020 article details this iirc.

But even Turing/Ampere do not use tensor cores for denoising, yet. Only non real-time ray tracing on blender like softwares use the RT cores.

I bet Nvidia are working hard on making it happen in real-time though, maybe Ampere's new tensor core with FP16, tensorfloat 32 and sparsity acceleration will finally do the job?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Another informative video from the fine folk at DF.

You want a console game that's really struggling with RT reflections, look at DMCV. Then again it is attempting RT at 60fps.

7reMkR7.png

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if Miles' performance mode will look any better than the PS4 game. Insomniac said they updated the city but is that locked behind the 30fps mode? in the 60fps video, it looked identical to the PS4 besides framerate.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Since we are keeping expectations in check....

I never thought it was possible that level of Raytracing coming at day one on next gen. Seriously... it took over an year to see 5 titles like BF5 tanking performance on RTX Cards.

This and Gran Turismo feels like a dream. I thought that every game using Raytracing at the beginning was something like DMC5SE (which looks terrible by the way).

But as far as technology grows and evolve, I still think its possible to achieve better resolutions and higher framerates.

When I mean by that.... I Seriously think its possible to achieve something around 1440p native, with native 1440p Raytracing resolution and 60fps.

Gran Turismo is target 4K with quarter resolution Raytracing but preserving the 60fps while using some sort of reconstruction technique in the image provided by the rays. And reconstruction seems to be the best and most affordable way or improving image quality while not tanking performance by brute forcing more pixels.... a much more intelligent way of giving players the best image possible.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
This is a very new technology for consoles - in some ways it reminds me of the early shader implementations in NV2A (OG Xbox) vs the 2nd generation in Xenos etc. - i.e. the most advanced uses came a little later in the generation, and truly impressive implementations came in the next generation once it became clearer what the biggest improvements needed were that couldn't just be worked around via optimization and approximation.
I look forward to seeing what is possible with new techniques that are built from the ground up, since there are quite a few different unique engines that various Sony studios use. I hope we don't end up with a "samish" look due to overuse of UE5.

I do wonder if we will see a PS5 Pro mid-gen that really scales up RT perf. or if that will have to wait for PS6. I can see more divergence between Xbox and PS5 depending on how they decide to focus transistor budget going forward too.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, while I totally expect compromises in some form due to ray-tracing, I have to say that I'm gonna hold off on purchasing a TV capable of 120 Hz until I can get a read on how many games will bother to support it without massive compromises.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Another informative video from the fine folk at DF.

You want a console game that's really struggling with RT reflections, look at DMCV. Then again it is attempting RT at 60fps.

7reMkR7.png

I mean, there is a difference between "struggling" and "practical application of scalable technology".