• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I'm wondering about that last step in the pipeline, denoising... could that be accellerated by machine learning? Maybe via tensor cores or whatever AMD's new chips will have?

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Really nice video. This is what I expect from next gen and as time passes we'll probably see better techniques.

Wonder why they didn't show ray-traced footage too

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
This video is fantastic. Extremely educational! I wish people would take the time to understand a little more about these new technologies before they criticise them so much on social media. I think they'd have a better appreciation of it all if they did. So many compromises need to be made to provide a great experience to the user, and I think this video explains that well. A developers job is not easy, especially when working with emerging technologies such as these.

People's expectations also need to be checked - these are £450 / $500 machines! They can't do everything at an insane quality.

Jun 4, 2019
Excellent explanation. This is how you simplify a somewhat complex feature for anyone to understand. Personally, I'm still amazed by the tech and can't wait for this upcoming gen.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This was an exceptional breakdown of why certain characteristics are chosen (or changed) for RT reflections.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm wondering about that last step in the pipeline, denoising... could that be accellerated by machine learning? Maybe via tensor cores or whatever AMD's new chips will have?

I think, the issue is for the consoles is that they don't have hardware set aside for that stuff, whilst they can do it; that same hardware is driving other things too - the raytracing itself for example.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I get the feeling if we get mid-gen refreshes they will focus on having way more RT ability and hopefully AMDs version of a DLSS style solution. A large focus on that will see a considerable boost in framerate possibilities with better raytracing and more. Either that or huge leaps in another 7 years when PS6 comes around. Add in what's to come from Unreal 5 and visuals will be getting ridiculous.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

Nothing is doing denoising on the tensor cores on pc as far as I'm aware, maybe it's something that can be done just fine with normal compute.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Great breakdown video.

I think it's also worth mentioning that these kinds of reflections will usually look pretty damned good to most people when in motion.

Whether current RT implementations in console (and PC) games are worth it might be a good question, but I imagine that's more for the devs to decide in terms of how much other dev workload this saves. Would certainly be interested to hear about.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what GPU DF thinks the PS5 compares to?
Superman running 4k 60fps a 1080p 30fps ps4 game is very impressive.
Good video.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
This is a really great video of what to expect for the first few years. Going to be really exciting to see when developers get used to ray tracing and optimizing it further

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I think, the issue is for the consoles is that they don't have hardware set aside for that stuff, whilst they can do it; that same hardware is driving other things too - the raytracing itself for example.
Execution units are shared across yes - that said - I guess the question is what results are from running straight analytic compute vs. running accelerated int-ops driving an ML model for denoiser (both in terms of perf and quality of the outputs).
Ie. you're not getting any free lunch - but at least there's different options to explore.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
And further optimisations will come down the line allowing even better performance with amazing quality thanks to Hybrid RT.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017

Because if you have one, it means you are part of an elitist German fraternity, which will hold in almost all cases misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic and racist views. It seems like I was wrong, though. So please forget I even started talking about it.

If you think that is duelling scar than you are an imbecile. What a a prejudiced dumb Thing to type when you have no idea.

Well it certainly looks like a duelling scar and I couldn't think of anything else this could be. Nonetheless, if I made a mistake I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Because if you have one, it means you are part of an elitist German fraternity, which will hold in almost all cases misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic and racist views. It seems like I was wrong, though. So please forget I even started talking about it.

Well it certainly looks like a duelling scar and I couldn't think of anything else this could be. Nonetheless, if I made a mistake I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

Wtf is wrong with you

Relix

Oct 25, 2017

So you just jumped to a conclusion based on your prejudices. No room for discussion or anything. Just wanting some outrage eh? You are a fucking dumbass

Aug 30, 2020
I really don't have much problem with the raytracing shown in the SpiderMan pictures.

But what bothers me, if a 2070 is indeed comparable, they should be able to do raytracing at 60fps at 1080p (albeit with another quartering of the rays cast). But I assume this won't be an option on PS5...

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

How about this - no it is not a duelling scar. Not everyone that has a scar on their face is a fascist and that was an incredibly dumb assumption to make.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I really don't have much problem with the raytracing shown in the SpiderMan pictures.

But what bothers me, if a 2070 is indeed comparable, they should be able to do raytracing at 60fps at 1080p (albeit with another quartering of the rays cast). But I assume this won't be an option on PS5...
Devil May cry is doing that.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Great video. Quality work as always from DF

Is it possible to achieve 1440p, 60fps with RT features?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. The RT work being done on launch games is really impressive for such a young technology and on consoles. The mid-gen consoles will be amazing with theoretically DLSS-like technology and much improved RT.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

We already have raytracing at 1080p 60 in dmc5 for ps5 and xsx

Deleted member 76539

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 31, 2020

Totally normal and sensible conclusion to come to.

No it's not wtf is wrong with you.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

i dont even on any level in the galaxy anymore

lmao

what a take

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Great video. Super informative.

I guess we should set our expectations accordingly for RT in next gen consoles. I didn't realize how expensive it was to implement.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
Fantastic video. Some people - esp. on Twitter - are in for a rude awakening when neither PS5 nor XSX will deliver on RT at 4K res ray traced reflections. Not even a 3090 can do that, so why would 500 USD consoles be able to do so?