• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I don't mean this is a negative way towards you. But when even a user on a gaming forum like this doesn't know, which games are cross gen or next gen, then that goes to show what Sony tried to achieve with announcing no PS4 version at first. There are probably *thousands of us gif* that simply think most of the games like MM, Horizon, Sackboy, ... are next gen exclusives and purchase a console for them.

Long story short, the only currently available PS5 exclusive games from SIE are Dark Souls and Astrobot. Everything else is on PS4, too.

No offense taken. Sackboy has been a real blind spot for me, ngl. I just assumed it was PS5 exclusive and didn't look into it. In my eyes, the only PS5 games were Demon Souls, Astrobot and Sackboy. Now it's down to only Demon Souls and Astrobot.

Usually hate these kinds of posts too, it was just a moment thing. Was genuinely surprised. I'm waiting for next year to jump in the next-gen console market anyway. Even then, it's still gonna be pretty barebone when it comes to next-gen console games. But I always want to buy all consoles so, here goes.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
TL;DW

- All versions target 60 FPS
- PS5: 75% of 4K (i-e 1620p) with DRS both above and below.
- PS4 Pro: 1080p with potential for DRS
- Base PS4: 720p
- Outside of resolution differences, PS4 / Pro have identical feature-set.

- PS5 has SSR in a lot of places (including title) missing on PS4.
- Shading / Occlusion / Shadowing / Lighting is better on PS5.
- All the above improvements persist in game play.
- A lot of minor details (like yarn floor, volumetric lighting, particles) are eliminated on PS4 completely in various areas.
- The game still looks nice on PS4, but the extra flourishes add a lot on the PS5.

- PS5 has near instantaneous loading "much like a cartridge game". PS4 has more traditional last-gen loading (i-e 11~12 seconds where it was 1~2 on PS5)

- Game play is generally 60 FPS on all platforms.
- PS4 (Pro and Base) have dips in cut-scenes, PS5 has flawless performance everywhere outside of one un-common instance with a minor dip.

This is why I'm not upset by cross-gen titles. Just because it's possible to downgrade the game to a point it can play on a PS4+Pro doesn't neuter the PS5 version per se.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So as a fellow 3d platformer connoisseur, I would say this is definitely the best platforming in the LBP series. That is, as you might imagine, not saying much. Sackboy moves too slowly and really only the Knight Challenges get my blood pumping. I've played all of world 1 and I'd say this is a bit like Mario 3D World...the levels themselves are not really challenging, but the game can be challenging if you want to find all the collectibles in every level. I don't personally get my rocks off from that kind of game, so I may just play it straight through. The jumping is much, much better but the running is too slow.

I was playing the Uptown Funk level yesterday and I was like wow this is really well done. And then I replayed it and realized there's a lot of time when you're just like standing still or moving slowly.

It was quite shocking moving between this game, which I thought felt good, and Astrobot, which feels essentially best in class.

It's unfair for me to say because I haven't played either game, but just from watching footage and others play I can tell Astrobot is on another level. I sure hope Team Asobi gets a crack at a full-fledged game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is why I'm not upset by cross-gen titles. Just because it's possible to downgrade the game to a point it can play on a PS4+Pro doesn't neuter the PS5 version per se.
Yeah it's looks they started PS5 as target and they kept as much as they could but down res'd like crazy and removed elements to hit performance goals. If you are gonna do cross gen thats def the way to go.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks good, but Astros Playground scratched that 3d platform itch for me already, and as a free pack in!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Play this game, people. It's an absolute delight from start to finish.
Too bad the platforming in the game itself just doesn't look all that great.
wrong.gif

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
I don't consider 720p or missing SSR on base PS4 good at all. This studio has never been particularly technically proficient so whatever.
At 60fps on unreal engine!

Sure they could have targeted 1080p for base PS4, but at 30fps much like last generation base console games.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't on my radar, but I just added it to my wish list now. It looks pretty awesome and I will definitely get it.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
720p on base PS4? That feels like a decision made by Sony execs and not an actual hardware limitation.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not really though. The game is alot of fun, but the platforming and sackboy's moveset are by far the weakest part of the game.
It's not the most deep set of movement mechanics in the genre but controlling Sackboy is responsive and tight which could never be said for the LBP games. While I wish he was a little faster, his slam and roll mechanics become pretty essential during the course of the game so there is some degree of mastery required as you near the end.

Is it similar to Super Mario Odyssey or as precise as Astrobot? Not even close. It is still objectively solid and tight regardless, and the experience as a whole is bolstered by the fantastic soundtrack, level design and art direction. It's a remarkably solid package overall and one of my favorite 3D platformers in a long, long time.
720p on base PS4? That feels like a decision made by Sony execs and not an actual hardware limitation.
This doesn't happen.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Good video. All the trade offs seem reasonable.

I did gasp when I heard 720p for the base PS4. Is this the only static-resolution 720p game ever released for the platform? (It also goes to show how much the Jaguar APU really wasn't well suited to make 60fps games.)

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
So as a fellow 3d platformer connoisseur, I would say this is definitely the best platforming in the LBP series. That is, as you might imagine, not saying much. Sackboy moves too slowly and really only the Knight Challenges get my blood pumping. I've played all of world 1 and I'd say this is a bit like Mario 3D World...the levels themselves are not really challenging, but the game can be challenging if you want to find all the collectibles in every level. I don't personally get my rocks off from that kind of game, so I may just play it straight through. The jumping is much, much better but the running is too slow.

I was playing the Uptown Funk level yesterday and I was like wow this is really well done. And then I replayed it and realized there's a lot of time when you're just like standing still or moving slowly.

It was quite shocking moving between this game, which I thought felt good, and Astrobot, which feels essentially best in class.
I always get mad when i see the Uptown Funk Level and everything is dancing to the crazy beats and all you can do is just wait in certain sections. That's a way to kill all of your momentum. Who thought it would be a good idea to have music levels that aren't designed with the actual music in sync? Like in Rayman Legends for example.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Great work for SUMO, they're a small team but they did everything possible to offer a gorgeous game running at 60FPS.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really enjoying this on PS5 so far. Very charming game and the nice graphics, surprisingly great soundtrack, solid performance and fast load times make it a joy to play.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Yeah, something's going on with their VP9 encoder and their AVC encoder's set to speed demon/mashed potato mode.

Man I wish Youtube had an HEVC stream.

Oct 31, 2017
I picked it up for a nice, chill platformer to play. I'm almost at the end of world 5 and it is no long quite so chill. Some of the time trial levels are really tough too.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to buy this game. This would be a great one for my son and I to play.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Not really though. The game is alot of fun, but the platforming and sackboy's moveset are by far the weakest part of the game.

So, the platforming is the weakest part of the game...which is a platformer. i mean one of the defining parts of a platformer is platforming, hence the name. might be just my opinion but it is more than unfortunate when that is one of the weakest parts.

still waiting till this gets cheaper, asking price too high for what it is, should have been 49,99€ maximum. and looks a bit too simple/easy.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its strange they couldnt hit a full fat 4k on ps5, same with the lower resolutions of the pro and base model, i guess this game is visually More demanding than it initially looks

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
So, the platforming is the weakest part of the game...which is a platformer. i mean one of the defining parts of a platformer is platforming, hence the name. might be just my opinion but it is more than unfortunate when that is one of the weakest parts.

still waiting till this gets cheaper, asking price too high for what it is, should have been 49,99€ maximum. and looks a bit too simple/easy.
It's just my one opinion of course, plenty of people'll disagree with me :)

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
I really like this game a lot.

Every podcast I listen to is so down on it and calling it overly simple. But I've been really enjoying the charming nature of it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised at how good it looks in places, especially in that opening city scene, plus the overworld areas with the beautiful depth of field effects. Will definitely pick this up after I'm done with Miles Morales and Valhalla. Looks really charming.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the PS4 Pro version still stacks up with the PS5 version. It just further supports my decision to have the game installed twice on my PS5 with the PS5 version for single player and the PS4 version for multiplayer. Certainly better than spending an additional $210 on controllers when I have perfectly fine DualShock 4s here already.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man most of the recent DF videos don't show up as 4k on my lg cx. Is this a TV issue?

Edit: just saw the comments so its not just me. Even the doom eternal breakdown from months ago is still in 1080p

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Sitting here on the fourth world with my daughter. It's generally a great game. I think the lbp world translated well to stage based 3d gameplay