• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it here, Parodius Deluxe Pack was the best launch game for both the PSX and the Saturn.

Having Salamander Deluxe Pack and Gradius Deluxe Pack shortly after was icing on a wonderful cake

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I managed to watch the first 20 minutes of this. Its excellent. Definitely going to finish it (hopefully) soon. DF just keeps getting better and better. Love the channel.

Part 2 - The North American launch.
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Part 2 is now live on YouTube.

Watch Part 1 - The Japanese Launch - here: https://youtu.be/0opA-E4Wqps

John Linneman and Audi Sorlie continue their re-appraisal of the Sony PlayStation launch, the story, the history, the games - with every launch title re-tested and compared against competing versions. The DF Supporter Program needs you: join up for behind the scenes content, early access to DF Retro, early access to DF Direct Weekly and much, much more - including pristine quality downloads of everything we do: https://bit.ly/3jEGjvx

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Adding Turbo to the Total Eclipse name because it runs too fast and you don't have time to fix it is a proper 200 IQ idea.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Just gonna ask it here because no one on Twitter seems to know. Was the eu launch line up different from the north American one?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This is so great, went through the JP and US vids and so many memories. It's hard to understate just how jaw dropping RR was at the time.

I really hope they do more of these launch series for other 3D 90s consoles too (Saturn, N64, Dreamcast). I feel like they've got a good chunk of Saturn covered already.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Japan definitely had the best lineup IMO. If that was the US launch I would have gotten the PS1 much quicker than getting it in 97. I like how there's more 2D games to ease into before testing the earlier 3D games.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing work as always, DF's recent output has been stronget than ever.

#LeaveRichardAlone

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Love this series. Also it's so obvious this gen holds up the least out of all the gens. 3d Psx and Saturn games look really really ugly now. 2d games seem to hold up way better.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Nhaaa i enjoyed the deeper comparisons, they are what made the video not "just another list"
I know people like lists, but this was a good balance.
(edited, there was no need to quote ;) sorry for the bell)

I really enjoyed this series, very much. This was a huge amount of work, having to replay all the games, multiple regions, and outer systems for comparision.
They also managed to source "new" old footage of ads, thanks to the magic of VHS ahaha.

Last edited:

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
John Linneman has one of the most soothing voices I've ever heard. I could listen to that man talk all day.