• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I was genuinely disappointed when the version of the first game in Bubsy Two-Fur turned out to just be the SNES version and not the old Super Bubsy PC version.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Wow, I'd literally never heard of Super Bubsy. Have ordered it, looking forward to seeing how it sounds on a midi module. I guess a sc-55 or 88 would be of the time, will try it with those.
Could you share your result from those modules? I have the disc here if you just want me to send you the midi files now so you don't have to wait for it to come in. I'm genuinely curious.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I realized after we shot our footage that I was actually wearing the same tshirt as my avatar here on ResetEra, there's so many layers to this video. I think only Knurek will truly appreciate the shirt's meaning however.
I did appreciate the first song of the video, you undoubtedly forced John to play at a gunpoint.
:(
Could you share your result from those modules? I have the disc here if you just want me to send you the midi files now so you don't have to wait for it to come in. I'm genuinely curious.
No need to, really, as the default MIDI player in Windows uses SC-55 soundfont.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Sure. Never recorded it before (normally just push everything from digital & modules through to a mixer and then out to my headphones/speakers), but I think I have everything I'd need to do that, _should_ just be a case of feeding the outputs back into my sound card's inputs. I can give it a shot.

No need to, really, as the default MIDI player in Windows uses SC-55 soundfont.

Not all of the instruments sound right. For example:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I knew I wasn't crazy for liking Bubsy as a kid.

The internet almost had me convinced it was a bad game but part of my really liked it despite how difficult it was.

Thanks John!

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Bubsy 2 was my entrance to this series.

Shot in the foot from the very start.

That awesome possum video though... Ouch.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be lying if I said I didn't spend a fair amount of time playing the original game on Genesis.
I still remember that silly tune from the first area.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who spend a bit too much time playing Bubsy on the snes I am really enjoying this video!
Awesome work to everyone involved.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad this video covered Bubsy 3D: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective and recognizes its status as true art.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
That was pretty good. I was surprised by two things:
1) How interesting Bubsy 3D looks from the contemporary, post-indie perspective
2) How decent the PC port looked like. It is actually more modern looking than the newest Bubsy game.

xylo

Oct 27, 2017
I uhh.... just watched a 24 min video on Bubsy the Bobcat.

I need to re-evaluate my life priorities. Oof.

Thanks Dark1x.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I did quite like the original Bubsy. The most obvious problem is it has Sonic's speed but not Sonic's ring system. One hit kills in a game where you've got about one tenth of a second to react don't work that well. The levels were fun to explore though, and very vertical (oh yes, and the bastard dies from falls, too).

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
This is most I've ever looked at any of the Bubsy games, only DF Retro could get me to do that. Bubsy 1 looks like something I could have enjoyed at the time at least. No Sonic by a long shot but still going into my play rotation.

James Pond: Robocod was my personal favourite of the short lived 90s mascot.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
A friend at school let me borrow Bubsy from him, after reading on the game from magazines. It was sort of fun, but the speed, scroll and I guess backgrounds made me dizzy pretty fast. The only time I remember that happening to me before was CoolSpot's locomotive level.

Fun fact: Bubsy 2 was hyped af at least in Spain, yet I can't recall even seeing it on display at any mall.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I never played any of the Bubsy games growing up. Whenever I saw the game in print or saw the game boxes at the rental store, I was completely unattracted. I felt Bubsy's art style and design couldn't look more like a cheap man's version of Sonic if it tried. It's like I could smell the suckitude through its try-hard appearance. Everything about Bubsy's art is just so weird and offputting. It seems wildly inconsistent, proportions are off, looks like a mish-mash of whatevers. Then when I finally got around to playing it on an emulator many years later, I don't think I even bothered to finish the first level. What a waste of silicon chips that was. To think they thought they had a solid contender to Mario/Sonic is just... yeesh.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bubsy was all about that platform parity back in 92 - really held the sega version back.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh man nostalgia bomb. i rented the first game as a kid and remember really liking it, but that was more than 20 years ago so who knows if it was actually good.

that cartoon pilot is the most 90s thing i've ever seen.

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people say Bubsy had a mediocre or generic soundtrack. The first game is full of very catchy melodies. My favorites are the River stage theme and the Tree Tops stage theme.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, the more the merrier! Any chance you can record the other songs too?

Done:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a2x0hy9dzrtp95m/bubsy88pro.7z/file

Took quite a bit of work as this is the first time I'm doing this. I'm using falcosoft's midiplayer to output the midifiles to my sc-8820, then pushing them back into my computer through lineout and recording the input using audacity. No idea if there's a better way to do it lol. Default settings on both programs apart from choosing flac.

Going through and recording them, I think my faves to listen to were the W5 (World 5?) tracks with the dodo-dodo's.

There's one track omitted here, "FARAWAY". I have no idea what this is supposed to be, it's like a low thrum that slowly rises and the thing last 22 minutes, most of those minutes being silence. Some kind of machine being used? Maybe Audi or Dark1x knows?
Ironically this is the track that shows the most how bad microsoft's GS wavetable is, it cannot handle it at all, so I did do 30 seconds of it on the 88pro map and through microsoft's wavetable just to show the difference, Knurek, you may be interested in this:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tbfl5tkj27dabj2/faraway.7z/file

Warning, the microsoft one may hurt your ears if your volume is up high, it is loud and awful. I had my headphones on too high doing the recording lol, it was painful

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Bubsy 1 was literally one of the most hyped games of the early to mid 90's. A step below Sonic 2/MK2/Street Fighter 2 but definitely withing spitting distance of that. It's also a genuinely competent platformer as the video suggests.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
WHO'S THAT MASCOT?!
BA560A14863FA213AC073C834C141A5F61FDDA85

IT'S KNACK!

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't catch this a week ago either. Fun video.
The positivity surrounding the first Bubsy in that video is nice. It's not amazing and it is too hard, but it was a pretty alright game to play now and then (with passwords because I couldn't get past world 2 without those). The music is pretty good too, I rank it pretty high among SNES OSTs honestly.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
lol, this thread brings back memories. spent way too much time recording that roland synth output.

will watch the new vid after work.