• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Usually I'm not about to tell frame drops when 60 FPS is the target and even I noticed the drop going down the stairs of the main hall. I hope they're able to smooth it out in the next four months or give us the option to disable RT since it's so subtle.

Or better yet, do what the gods at Insomniac did and keep raytracing but reduce resolution. That's the true solution.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
We better start hoping this build is just badly optimised otherwise the full game might struggle considering there isn't any combat and no open areas yet in the demo.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
it probably isn't due to the size of the surfaces and roughness cutoff. reflections are a weird choice for this environment though. in terms of how intense the effect. GI would be the most noticeable, but consoles probably ain't ready for that yet. after that, shadows and AO would be great, but also subtle. less subtle than reflection at least. Black Ops uses RT Shadows and AO to good effect on consoles.

It doesn't use RTAO in black ops on consoles, RT is used for local shadows and sun shadows (and moon shadows thanks Dictator for clarifying that). I agree though that i would prefer to see RT used for shadows in this, the way the shadows float behind certain things like the gate bars is so off putting.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
No matter how the final product turns out, the last three words will ring true for all eternity.

Apr 19, 2018
Or better yet, do what the gods at Insomniac did and keep raytracing but reduce resolution. That's the true solution.

Wasn't there an issue at launch where the XB1 version of REmake 3 suffered from dismal frame rates due to them initially trying to go for 2160p? I believe a patch eventually came which knocked the resolution down and they were then able to successfully hit 60fps.

Hopefully Capcom has the good sense to offer high resolution vs better performance options for RE8 from the go.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Wasn't there an issue at launch where the XB1 version of REmake 3 suffered from dismal frame rates due to them initially trying to go for 2160p? I believe a patch eventually came which knocked the resolution down and they were then able to successfully hit 60fps.

Hopefully Capcom has the good sense to offer high resolution vs better performance options for RE8 from the go.

That was the 1X version which was patched to run at Pro resolutions to fix the performance. Not the first time the 1X went for 4K at the cost of performance.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Pretty demo.

Once I figured out and finished it, I literally went back and speedrun through it in 5 minutes.

Speedrun really helped elevate the fear.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great, but really short demo. My run took me about 30-45 minutes, but I soaked everything in that I could. I've noticed no RT reflections whatsoever lol. Were they on the blood spilled on the floor in some rooms? I think the game looks awesome with plenty of details everywhere, but I've noticed some really low res textures and the performance drop in the main hall. Other than that it was fine.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
697CB3E8B7036E529641F48502948B1274DCC5C6

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The way i see it:
This game is a current gen title (ps4, x1), developed for current gen. The shift to Next Gen was late in development and they wanted it release it there also. I dont have a problem with this at all since i find Current Gen graphics to be good.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
We were fine without it up until now. And you cant even notice the RT here.

I probably said the same about Ambient Occlusion about a milion years ago, when it was 'the effect that kills performance but I can't really see the point of it' - now its everywhere as a pretty standard option, there are multiple ways to implement it, and its gotten way more optimised (or the hardware got fast enough to brute force it)

Same will happen with RT

Pet peeve from the written article - please don't say a console outputs a 'native' 4k image and then continue the sentence with 'checkerboarding' or 'reconstruction'. In that case its not a native 4k image, thats just the framebuffer output which will always be 4k anyway on a 4k TV. I'd prefer to know the rendering resolution and only use native 4k when thats how its being properly rendered.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
For headphones via the PS5 controller with system 3d audio enabled should I be using Surround Sound or Headphones in the Maiden demo settings?

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Aesthetic is on point and everything looks beautiful from afar. The downstairs section of the mansion is wonderful. But looking up close I'm a little disappointed with the details, texture work and geometry. A lot of objects have the shadows attached to them and that's cheap as hell.
The sound design was a mixed bag with the 3D sound on the ps5. It's obviously very scary and I love the little sounds they have pop up every now and then (the wood floor, etc). I hate when I hear my footsteps so much, I hate getting scared every time I turn around and the witches' voices were strange.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get motion sickness from the demo? It never occurred to me on PS4 RE7, but I felt it a little during the Maiden demo.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Usually I'm not about to tell frame drops when 60 FPS is the target and even I noticed the drop going down the stairs of the main hall. I hope they're able to smooth it out in the next four months or give us the option to disable RT since it's so subtle.

Insomnic did more than just lower the resolution in the 60fps RT mode to be fair. They reduced crowd density (by a lot) and removed shadows in the ray traced reflections. Two things that probably aren't going to be as scalable in RE8. Can't imagine there are any dense crowds they can cut here.

Point being there are more aggressive optimisations there than just lowering the resolution to 1440p.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Insomnic did more than just lower the resolution in the 60fps RT mode to be fair. They reduced crowd density (by a lot) and removed shadows in the ray traced reflections. Two things that probably aren't going to be as scalable in RE8. Can't imagine there are any dense crowds they can cut here.

Point being there are more aggressive optimisations there than just lowering the resolution to 1440p.

Just from the eye test there doesn't look to be any reason why the demo couldn't have run at locked 60fps on the PS5. Let's be honest there wasn't much going on. Hopefully the next demo runs much better.

Could the low res textures just be to help the size of the demo?

Possibly, but even on PC RE7 had bad textures.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Could the low res textures just be to help the size of the demo?

Textures generally don't take up that much space. As mentioned above, RE7 has its share of low resolution textures even at the highest settings as well. Probably a similar thing, an art/man-hour limitation or a limitation due to cross-gen development.