• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not surprised an extra decryption layer def will eat away performance.
The idea that you can have these constant DRM checks and shit code running alongside a game and it not affecting performance was always silly.
Right who the hell was saying it wouldn't be a performance hit. Any encryption/decryption at any level Would absolutely do that imo.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is fascinating and utterly embarrassing on Capcom's part. There needs to be some serious internal review to avoid this in the future.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
The most egregious issue I had performance wise was when the sisters grabbed ethan. They have to get this DRM the hell off the game.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
eBNpb9l.gif

Thank you.

Kind regards, Capcpom.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Are you getting the same performance increase with that new dll fix people were talking about, or does that just fix the stutters?

Oct 29, 2017
*see thread title* uhhh
*see screen capture in thread* faints

This is definitely unacceptable. I hate how it is so difficult to game with PC sometimes ...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Bombshell. Hope Capcom addresses it and avoids blunders like these in the future, but I have my doubts.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That framework posted on the PC Performance Thread doesn't remove the DRM, but skips the constant checks. Might be a safer alternative for now, as the sisters attack the player using that.

Of course, it's time for Capcom to remove the checks (or the DRM entirely) and change the practice entirely for their next games.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't think I've heard of anybody else getting that problem where the framerate stays locked in the 20s or so whenever they go near a certain part of the village. Like, half the time I start to approach the altar my framerate tanks, but it'll recover if I reload the game or leave that one area.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Yes.

But I wish they would finally do some more coverage of other titles that aren't AAA next gen releases.
They could do so much more interesting Switch stuff as example, I'm a little bit tired of their selection recently.
yeah I've noticed that as well, I do feel like the Switch coverage will just keep dwindling until 2022 where "bigger" software comes out (I do expect something for Metroid Dread and maybe SMTV)

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's probably complicated, but is there any reason all DRM checks can't happen at Steam login or something, separate from the games, so they aren't damaging performance?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Love to pay for a worse experience, cheers Capcom.
I see your point, and i think its a fair one, but cant one buy the game and still apply the crack? Or do one have to download the whole cracked game to be able to use it (maybe simply applying the crack wont work with the Steam client for example, or something like that)? I remember back in the days when i used a NO-CD crack for a game that i had bought, simply so i didnt have to have the CD in the CD-ROM everytime i played. This way, i got to have the original game and still being able to get the benefits of a cracked version, so i thought it would be worth mentioning :) Back then it was just to download an .exe file and replace the original .exe file with the cracked .exe file though. Maybe things are more difficult now.

EDIT: And just to clearify, it shouldnt be necessary to have to download a crack to be able to run the game better, i'm not arguing against that at all. The payed version should be the best one, i fully agree with that. I was just curious when the situation is like it is, and if someone who payed for the game could technically also be able to take advantage of what the crack does.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I see your point, and i think its a fair one, but cant one buy the game and still apply the crack? Or do one have to download the whole cracked game to be able to use it (maybe simply applying the crack wont work with the Steam client for example, or something like that)? I remember back in the days when i used a NO-CD crack for a game that i had bought, simply so i didnt have to have the CD in the CD-ROM everytime i played. This way, i got to have the original game and still being able to get the benefits of a cracked version, so i thought it would be worth mentioning :) Back then it was just to download an .exe file and replace the original .exe file with the cracked .exe file though. Maybe things are more difficult now.
Yes, but this doesn't change the fact that a paying customer has a worse time than someone who pirated it.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably complicated, but is there any reason all DRM checks can't happen at Steam login or something, separate from the games, so they aren't damaging performance?

They want it to be difficult to find all the checks, and if they happen at varying points during gameplay, then they're more likely to be overlooked.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Over two months.

ZERO PATCHES

ZERO!

Not to mention zero word from Capcom themselves.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, how did Capcom fuck this up even more?
I'm not sure that it's accurate to say that it's "Capcom's DRM" which is the cause here. What DRM would that even be?
You can have Denuvo integrated into a game in many ways, and it seems far more plausible that the shoddy integration of Denuvo's (or Steam DRM's) hooks by Capcom is the culprit here.

All in all this PC port has really been shat out by Capcom with absolutely zero fucks given to its quality, or options, or performance.
No idea why the game got such high scores on PC.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

I don't even know where to get a crack. And I'm for damn sure not going to download an executable from some sketchy site

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Completely unacceptable that the paid version is worse.

Good on DF for making this video

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but this doesn't change the fact that a paying customer has a worse time than someone who pirated it.
Sure, thats why i think that your point is fair :) I was just wondering if a payed consumer also could apply the crack, so this way, a paying consumer would still have the same time/experience as someone who pirated it. Although it shouldnt be necessary to do this of course (having to download a crack to get better performance), i fully agree with that, i was just wondering if it was at least possible as a workaround when the situation is like it is.

I don't even know where to get a crack. And I'm for damn sure not going to download an executable from some sketchy site
Thats fair enough. I was just curious if a paying consumer could still be able to get the same benefits as someone who pirated the game :) Although it shouldnt be necessary to do this of course (having to download a crack to get better performance), i fully agree with that, i was just wondering if it was at least possible as a workaround when the situation is like it is.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
The only part i got frame issue was with the sisters, the rest of the game was really smooth at 60 fps but there is no reason to not get the crack, i don't trust Capcom to remove their DRM.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Digital Foundry making a video on this is huge as it might open the floodgates for more major outlets reporting on this

My Ars piece from Monday, which included our own confirmation of the performance issue, went live without Capcom responding to my questions. I'm still waiting for a response. I do wonder if DF and Rich's scrutiny will change their tune.

arstechnica.com

Better performance for pirates: Crack removes stutters from Capcom PC game

This time, Denuvo doesn't appear to be the culprit... entirely.

EDIT: ... I spoke too soon. Capcom just emailed me now saying "the team is currently looking into the reported PC performance issues." Whaddya know. Good one, Rich.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't think I've heard of anybody else getting that problem where the framerate stays locked in the 20s or so whenever they go near a certain part of the village. Like, half the time I start to approach the altar my framerate tanks, but it'll recover if I reload the game or leave that one area.
I get that error except it isn't the frame rate tanked to 20 fps. Instead, the frame rate randomly goes from 80-90ish down to below 50 until I restart the game from desktop.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
They want it to be difficult to find all the checks, and if they happen at varying points during gameplay, then they're more likely to be overlooked.

Do you think a single "thorough" check through Steam's servers at login could even be made "unavoidable"?

Although I feel like I'm getting a bit confused: if you buy and own the game on Steam, what exactly do they even need to constantly check when Steam could already provide ownership data?

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Lol glad I didn't buy this at launch (and even if I did, would've refunded it immediately).

Gonna enjoy the completed edition in a few months for cheap

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Capcoms post-launch support of their big titles has been absolutely abysmal, to say the least. It seems that as soon as the games are shipped, all work on them has to stop immediately. Not even a FOV slider was patched into RE8, even after many complaints about motion sickness. Very disappointing. Capcom should be ashamed of their post-launch support, their games deserve better.