• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hi John, my understanding was that those ports actually removed some of the effects from the original versions of the game while just boosting the frame rate and resolution. Am I missing something? Because if so that makes it look worse for capcom. If you cover this in the video I apologize as I've been at work since it went up and haven't had time to watch it.

Appreciate the work you and the others at DF do btw!
I'm actually not sure. Which effects were missing? Things look a tad different but I've never studied the Gc version that closely.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
From what we can infer, both RE0 and REmake program code was lost and built again from the ground up for the remasters. I don't know what they used but it's probably something very unoptimised. I thought I would be able to run them with no issue on my GPD Win 2 with the Steam release.

Guess what, I can't. The emulated versions run better on Dolphin. DMC4 and RE5 run much better than those remasters. That's a big YIKES! signal if I've ever seen one.

The same happens with RE4. Did you know the current version requires more horsepower to run than RE5? Yes, it does.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't those 5 to 10 seconds a bit exaggerated? I mean sure, there are longer loading times but certainly not that long. And not at every door. It's still a weak port, no way to deny that, but there's no need to make it worse than it is.

It's not that bad in Remake but it is that bad in Zero

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Man, RE4 is not native res in portable?

I was so hyped to play the game on Switch, but the more I hear about the port the more disappointed I get

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The load times for RE0 & REmake are probably the worst thing. For a veteran the extra waiting will be irksome. While for a newbie, getting lost and having all those load times back to back will have you questioning going forward.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually not sure. Which effects were missing? Things look a tad different but I've never studied the Gc version that closely.

From the Eurogamer faceoff for Xbox One and PS4 versions;

Despite the age of the game, none of the many ports have quite matched every aspect of the original release. Certain effects, such as high intensity fire effects, depth of field and dust particles in the air are absent while the overall colours are desaturated, eliminating the contrast between light and shadow. These criticisms apply to every conversion of the game - and that includes these new PS4 and Xbox One remasters

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
From the Eurogamer faceoff for Xbox One and PS4 versions;
Ha, wow, that was my article. I had completely forgotten.

I didn't really do a GC comparison this time, however, since I knew it was the same as PS4/XO. I had simply forgotten about the missing effects!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
No gyro is the one thing keeping me from getting RE4. What a bad move, honestly.

Though I would also have liked a checkerboard resolution option. Would've probably brought the framerate to a locked 60, and the 60fps would have helped the checkerboard in turn.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No gyro is the one thing keeping me from getting RE4. What a bad move, honestly.

Gyro would be pretty cool to have as an option, but you basically steamroll through the game on Wii Edition and PC using IR/mouse. The game is far more enjoyable with a regular controller, it's designed to engage you that way.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Gyro would be pretty cool to have as an option, but you basically steamroll through the game on Wii Edition and PC using IR/mouse. The game is far more enjoyable with a regular controller, it's designed to engage you that way.

Even on Professional? But really, I just find gyro much more intuitive and fun. Plus, it's mentioned in the video that lining up precise shots is harder than in the original.

Oct 25, 2017
The resolution(s) for RE4 seem a bit weird? They couldn't get this to 1080p/720p docked/undocked? Will probably pick up RE4 at some point, but am thinking I will wait for a sale.
You know the funny thing is I had asked the rep about resolution and they kept dodging my question by saying something along the lines of "Sorry, I only looked at the handheld specs to answer a question about frame rate, I don't remember the resolution."

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
You know the funny thing is I had asked the rep about resolution and they kept dodging my question by saying something along the lines of "Sorry, I only looked at the handheld specs to answer a question about frame rate, I don't remember the resolution."

After watching the DF video, I have to say, image quality looks fine. It's still a bit surprising, but it looks good!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man Switch is so disappointing when it comes to performance of third party games. Old or new it's starting to feel like all the ports have some kinda issue compared to the other consoles versions. Hearing about the loading times in REmake is just shocking. Wow.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
At this point the RE4 HD project has made every other version completely redundant.
They have painstakingly redone pretty much every texture in the game at this point.
Not to mention lighting, shadows, effects, you name it.
The difference is night and goddamn day.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even on Professional? But really, I just find gyro much more intuitive and fun. Plus, it's mentioned in the video that lining up precise shots is harder than in the original.

Professional is a joke too with that kind of accuracy, but the more spongey bosses still pose a threat if you're not quick on your feet. It's totally fine to prefer it and agree it should be here, I enjoyed them at first but I eventually got bored with how easy it got.

The feeling correlates on controller too in the late game when your weapons are totally decked out beyond most danger. Unsurprisingly most folks tend to like the last sections the least even though their level design is still really good.

The precision thing, I think I saw someone mention is probably a byproduct of the 60FPS, so Leon essentially jitters twice as fast. You get used to it though and can always upgrade to stabilizers, but I was fine using a non-stock Red9 the entire game in 60fps.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Can't even get a GameCube game running in 1080p on Switch... And it STILL can't maintain 60FPS?

Capcom really didn't give a single, solitary shit. You'd get a better experience by emulating the Wii/GCN version on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think you can blame the load times on the quality of the SD card. In the past there has been a very small percentage for load time differences depending on the card.

What's the file size? It could be another Rayman situation where they've compressed the assets too much and it takes longer to decompress them.

RE4 is 720p, 30fps on a 360. A bump in resolution and doubling the frame rate on Switch is still a good result, even if it isn't perfect.

I'd be all over RE4 if it were cheaper. I'd buy REmake if the load times were fixed and it were cheaper. I probably wouldn't buy RE0 again. I have it on 3 platforms already and only finished it once.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are the loading times due to heavy image compression? If so, why use it for digital only titles?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How did Capcom manage to not make the Switch version the new definitive RE4 experience? No motion controls at all? Wtf. What studio did the port?

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck were they doing with the load times in REmake and Zero? Like I am dumbfounded how bad they are. This has to be a big that Capcom was too cheap to fix in time for release.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Based on my tests overclocking the switch to around 900 mhz in docked mode and around 460 mhz in handheld removes most of the drops in re4. The game is def GPU-bound and you can get 60 fps 99 percent of the time if you overclock.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
[/QUOTE]member: 12551"]Man Switch is so disappointing when it comes to performance of third party games. Old or new it's starting to feel like all the ports have some kinda issue compared to the other consoles versions. Hearing about the loading times in REmake is just shocking. Wow.[/QUOTE]
Switch ERA is all anticipated the glorious Switch Pro with pristine iq and perfect framerates, its prophedied to come out late this year or early next

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well that's a shame. And at $30 it's an easy pass. May pick up if it gets patched and has a sale for $20 or less

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think they are both great on PC - also RE4 on PC has the absolutely amazing RE4 HD project.
Are you or anyone else on the team been thinking about making a video about it? I think it would make for such a great subject and the creator of the mods makes wildly entertaining yt videos where he pores over everything he changed and it's so fascinating like someone happy to show something they were passionate to work on for years

(switch subs on, he talks about how he restored the bloom effect for example)

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
with drop of the resolution, at least you expect to get a locked 60 FPS. capcom could definitely have done a better job with these ports.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
TL:DW

- Video features Alex Aniel ( cvxfreak )

Resident Evil 4:
- Docked: 900p. Portable 600p.
- No gyro controls
- Switch version employs mip-maps. (Not in any other version)
- Targets 60 FPS.
- Docked stays there pretty often but drops to low 50's in battles/bosses.
- Portable still has some slowdowns but performance is better than Docked.
- John mentions he would have preferred a 30 FPS lock.

Resident Evil Remake:
- Loading times are much longer and you see black screen for 5, 10 seconds after the door animation finishes.
- Docked: 1080p. Portable: 720p (?)
- Some Bad frame pacing (Same as PS4) and occasionally some scenes drop a few frames.

Resident Evil Zero:
- Loading times are longer than the door animations and unlike REmake, the animations pauses mid-way to let it finish.
That's.... Unacceptable. Wtf?

How can Gamecube games not run at 1080p60 docked and 720p portable? How are load times longer on SD cards then optical media gamecube discs? How do you fuck up the aiming from the Gamecube version? How do you charge $40 for this shit?

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
The loading times in REmake and RE0 are unfortunate. I'm pretty sure this is the first time any version of those games have loading times which last longer than the door animations (which are always 7 seconds long). It's been some years since I tested it, but I'm pretty sure they are instant or close to instant if you skip door animations in the 360 version. On PC, they're all instant if you skip door animations (even when playing with a mechanical harddrive).

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017

Probably a smart move after it was claimed that DD:DA would be 720p/1080p and it wasn't.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
At 5:10 in the DF video, you can see the Switch version has higher res fire effects than the PS4 version.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Real bummer that RE4 doesn't have gyro aim. Game is perfect for it.

What's frustrating is the Switch ports of Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2 both have gyro controls, and they were pretty damned good. You'd think that with the Wii version being so well received there would be enough precedent to keep them here. Apparently not.

They also both targeted native res in handheld and docked, though Revelations 2 probably shouldn't have.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
How is RE4 not a locked 720p / 1080p and 60fps? This game is ancient ffs.
I swear I don't understand these switch ports, they are almost always so underwhelming.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Based on my tests overclocking the switch to around 900 mhz in docked mode and around 460 mhz in handheld removes most of the drops in re4. The game is def GPU-bound and you can get 60 fps 99 percent of the time if you overclock.
Nice testing! Yeah, it shouldn't be a CPU issue at all. What exactly does the current gen HD versions have over the originals or even PS3/360 besides better quality textures and resolution? I'm guessing better lighting and shadows too? I'll have to check the video when I get home.