• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

John Linneman checks out the Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil Remake ports for Nintendo Switch, with a special focus on the star of the show - the other new release, Resident Evil 4. Joining him on this one is Resi expert Alex Aniel for more expert commentary. Thank you to Logitech G and the G935 Wireless 7.1 surround gaming headset for sponsoring this video.

Check out Logitech G's ultimate wireless audio solution here. http://bit.ly/2YFqDgg Subscribe to Digital Foundry for more gaming tech analysis: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Last edited:
summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL:DW

- Video features Alex Aniel ( cvxfreak )

Resident Evil 4:
- Docked: 900p. Portable 600p.
- No gyro controls
- Switch version employs mip-maps. (Not in any other version)
- Targets 60 FPS.
- Docked stays there pretty often but drops to low 50's in battles/bosses.
- Portable still has some slowdowns but performance is better than Docked.
- John mentions he would have preferred a 30 FPS lock.

Resident Evil Remake:
- Loading times are much longer and you see black screen for 5, 10 seconds after the door animation finishes.
- Docked: 1080p. Portable: 720p (?)
- Some Bad frame pacing (Same as PS4) and occasionally some scenes drop a few frames.

Resident Evil Zero:
- Loading times are longer than the door animations and unlike REmake, the animations pauses mid-way to let it finish.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

Resident Evil Remake:
- Loading times are much longer and you see black screen for 5, 10 seconds after the door animation finishes.

Considering that you're constanly going through doors, that sounds pretty bad. Now that I'm used to playing the PC version with the door skip mod I'd have a pretty hard time adjusting to that.

Edit: watched the video, 14 seconds to go through a door... There are lots of instances where you go through several doors in quick succession so yeah, that's not ideal.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

- Video features Axel Aniel ( cvxfreak )

Resident Evil 4:
- No gyro controls
- Targets 60 FPS.

Resident Evil Remake:
- Some Bad frame pacing (Same as PS4) and occasionally some scenes drop a few frames.

Resident Evil Zero:
- Loading times are longer than the door animations and unlike REmake, the animations pauses mid-way to let it finish.

Sort of depressing that Capcom wasn't able to get their GameCube ports to run at native res and/or 60FPS. I get that they were ported to MT Framework and have a handful of new effects, but still.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The resolution(s) for RE4 seem a bit weird? They couldn't get this to 1080p/720p docked/undocked? Will probably pick up RE4 at some point, but am thinking I will wait for a sale.

Oct 25, 2017

Resident Evil 4:
- No gyro controls
- Targets 60 FPS.

Resident Evil Remake:

Resident Evil Zero:
RE4 seems fine, but still disappointing.
All would be forgiven for gyro controls, but that and the price tag make it a skip

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Ps4 version also has frame pacing issue? Weird. I'm very sensitive about such stuff, never noticed it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, those wait times between door animations. That sounds absolutely terrible considering the amount of times you enter/exit a room.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed with those RE4 stats. Not the end of the world but sheeet not even 720p for undocked? Like, it's the main reason to get this version.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
To Richard's defence, 'Axel Aniel' sounds like the name of a seretive sect leader. Kind fits with the RE4 plot.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Is that the regular setting, mapping x-axis turns to the left stick? Is there an option to have the right stick do x and y-axis free look?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Good video. I like when they're conversational like this. How are REmake and RE4 on PC? I have them there, but if they're not good ports, I may dig deeper and head back to an older platform.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico

Resident Evil 4:
- No gyro controls
- Targets 60 FPS.
It's also 10 USD more than any other console version currently in the market ever was.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I wouldn't guess the game isn't 720p undocked. It looks really good on the Switch screen.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The resolution(s) for RE4 seem a bit weird? They couldn't get this to 1080p/720p docked/undocked? Will probably pick up RE4 at some point, but am thinking I will wait for a sale.
1080p30 maybe.

Good video. I like when they're conversational like this. How are REmake and RE4 on PC? I have them there, but if they're not good ports, I may dig deeper and head back to an older platform.

They're the best versions on their own, IMO, but with mods they're definitive.

lazyguy

Oct 26, 2017
i'll bet re4 will run better via wii/gc emulation on switch in a year, homebrewers already have vulkan running on it.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Man the load times on REmake and RE0 are rough D: Hopefully they can patch those, that'd drive me nuts

Could see myself grabbing RE4 down the line with a cheaper price (especially necessary with the UK price...) and maybe with a Switch Pro style upgrade that could power through frame rate drops

I think they are both great on PC - also RE4 on PC has the absolutely amazing RE4 HD project.

There's also an ESRGAN AI upscale pack for REmake which looks lovely, can't wait to replay REmake+RE4 down the line with the texture mods :D

Though unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to raise the internal resolution above 1920x1440 on either REmake or RE0. At least they both support 60fps, weirdly the only versions to do so.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Resident Evil 4:
- No gyro controls
- Targets 60 FPS.

Resident Evil Remake:

Resident Evil Zero:
shame, i was expecting perfect 720p/1080p ports. that and the price, not gonna buy these anytime soon.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice for a portable RE4, will definitely get it on sale. The extended load times on door screens is a dealbreaker for the other two. I can barely stand not being able to skip them on PS4.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
RE4 on handheld doesn't look 600p to me, it looks sharp and clean. And I'm very demanding about visual quality. The worst part of those ports are the loading times in RE and RE0.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with the frame rate and resolution, but those loads times in REmake and Zero are unacceptable...

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think they are both great on PC - also RE4 on PC has the absolutely amazing RE4 HD project.

And you can install very simple mods to completely eliminate the door animations in REmake and Zero.

Always a plus if you've already played the games before and are OK with skipping those animations.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom, give us a locked 30FPS option for RE4 and fix that damn icon.

....lol these are never getting patched

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm crazy because I love the door animations in the old Resident Evil games. Not saying the additional loading time isn't a detriment, but it's not hampered my enjoyment of having the Resident Evil remake on the go. I'm about to go confront Wesker in the labs now.

Also very surprised RE4 portable doesn't hit 720p as it looks really sharp undocked.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Are the long load times in RE:RM just certain doors or every door? The video seems to suggest the former.

Oh and RE:0 wasn't upscaled like RE:RM. They had the original files and were able to re-render the backgrounds at a higher resolution.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like I'll be getting RE4 on a sale. Honestly weird that these newer ports are missing effects from the GC/Wii(?) versions and not being able to hit native resolutions on an enhanced GC game is...disappointing, to say the least, but I can overlook it if I can at least get a good deal for a portable version

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
RE4 is not native res in portable mode? That is surprising since game looks very clean and sharp on portable screen.
30 fps option could've been nice for ones that request it but drops are so unsignificant that i don't think the sacrifice is worth it.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Playing Resi 1 for the first time on my switch. The doors are pretty annoying in some areas, not so bad in others. I do wish I didn't really need it to be portable to play it ATM but this is what I've got.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

Resident Evil 4:
- No gyro controls
- Targets 60 FPS.

Resident Evil Remake:

Resident Evil Zero:
Sounds like these ports suck fucking DICK.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of frustrating that RE4 of all games can't manage 1080p docked, but at least it's a somewhat-stable 60fps

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me that I would kill for a proper Resident Evil 4 remake.