• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It's a little worse than RE2, but that's owing to the bigger scope of the game and how many more enemies etc it's pushing compared to RE2.

VGTech's RE2 video with performance metrics:
www.youtube.com

Resident Evil 2 Remake PS4 vs PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X vs Xbox One Frame Rate Comparison

Review Codes were supplied by Capcom. Resident Evil 2 Remake frame rate test comparing the performance on Playstation 4, Playstation 4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox...

RE2 on OG PS4 has an average frame rate of 50~ FPS. RE3 on OG PS4 has 46.5~
Ah, I guess that small hit makes sense given context, then. Still, it seems to fair well enough, performance-wise. Thanks for the response!

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
They definitely need to downgrade the X version. Having Framerate constantly dropping even down to 30s is unacceptable when the base PS4 (and even the base One) does a lot better.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I don't know why they're advocating a 30fps cap on base PS4. This is from VG Tech's analysis:

VlFpAVB.png

Base PS4 delivers frames within 16.67ms ~71% of the time while Xbox One does it ~42% of the time. It performs better than the One X version, even. I really wish DF would collect this kind of data instead of giving broad generalizations.
It is a triple buffered vsync presentation - it judders like crazy and never looks smooth. 16.67 being hit 70% of the time looks horrible without freesync.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Did DF stop analysing PC for more titles or is it just me?
I just covered 2 PC titles not even 2 weeks ago, and then went on doing 2 xbox series x video. Why would you think we stopped covering PC?

I am the person who covers PC. I have also been sick during the quarantine, so it is not like I should work while sick.
PC often gets its own video a day or two later.

This wont be getting a PC video. There is not enough time and I am sick.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Did DF stop analysing PC for more titles or is it just me?

I was hoping they would look at which AA, Res, downsampling combination would lead to cleaner hair.
The hair is what really screws with me in RE2 looks like the issue is the same in RE3.

They usually have big dedicated PC videos.

I'm guessing with the main game release so close, there probably won't be a separate PC video before retail.

Does Capcom have a history of fixing the retail performance of their past games?

The RE2 demo before-release was damn near 100% indicative of the retail game, barring some item placements ..

so .. no.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I might have to cancel my Xbox pre-order until I know the final version has been fixed. Otherwise I'll have to snag the PC version.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
I just covered 2 PC titles not even 2 weeks ago, and then went on doing 2 xbox series x video. Why would you think we stopped covering PC?

I am the person who covers PC. I have also been sick during the quarantine, so it is not like I should work while sick.

Hope you get well soon.

Will DF do a PC video for the full release?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

No prob. A lot of us are in the same boat right now - get well soon!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they're advocating a 30fps cap on base PS4. This is from VG Tech's analysis:

VlFpAVB.png

Base PS4 delivers frames within 16.67ms ~71% of the time while Xbox One does it ~42% of the time. It performs better than the One X version, even. I really wish DF would collect this kind of data instead of giving broad generalizations.
Either way, an optional cap would be best on all platforms. Even PS4pro could push the resolution a little higher at 30fps.

If folks want to run the X version at 4k30, I hope they allow it. But a lower res mode that can 60fps consistently is what I'm really hoping for.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
They usually have big dedicated PC videos.

I'm guessing with the main game release so close, there probably won't be a separate PC video before retail.

The RE2 demo before-release was damn near 100% indicative of the retail game, barring some item placements ..

so .. no.

Exactly, I said it before but every game that had an RE engine demo didn't receive any updates in the release version.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018

Get well soon Alex. Your health is more important.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

VlFpAVB.png

70% is pretty bad to me. Id take a 30fps cap over judder that often.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, an optional cap would be best on all platforms. Even PS4pro could push the resolution a little higher at 30fps.

If folks want to run the X version at 4k30, I hope they allow it. But a lower res mode that can 60fps consistently is what I'm really hoping for.

70% is pretty bad to me. Id take a 30fps cap over judder that often.

I think any game that can't hit a stable 60fps should have a cap option. I'm definitely not arguing against a cap. I'm just confused why they'd be advocating for a cap on base consoles only when the One X performs worse than the PS4. They could lower the resolution in the release build for the One X, yes, but the same could be done for the PS4. I just don't get the logic.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Chasing the 4K pipe dream is pointless when you can have fantastic looking versions like the pro with superior performance. X gams don't need to be 4K. I know a lot of pre release hype for Scorpio actually thought it would be a true 4K machine.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Get better soon

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Chasing the 4K pipe dream is pointless when you can have fantastic looking versions like the pro with superior performance. X gams don't need to be 4K. I know a lot of pre release hype for Scorpio actually thought it would be a true 4K machine.
I agree here. Zooming in 400% or comparing screenshots? Yeah, you'll see some differences, but I think those differences are barely noticeable when you're actually playing the game.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It is? I mean Red Dead Redemption 2 is native 4k and locked 30fps. Far Cry 5 is, Forza Horizon 4 is.
I agree framerate is most important and with the techniques out there it should be used better. This game seems not greatly optimized tho.

Oct 25, 2017
It is? I mean Red Dead Redemption 2 is native 4k and locked 30fps. Far Cry 5 is, Forza Horizon 4 is.
I agree framerate is most important and with the techniques out there it should be used better. This game seems not greatly optimized tho.

It's optimized fine. They just need to drop the resolution. All those game you mentioned run at 30fps too. RE engine has been amazing far.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes I think, and this is 100% not meant as a slight at all, you guys definitely shouldn't interact on this forum lol. If it were me, it would just destroy my mental health. It's like hearing the advice "don't read the comments", and then going in the exact opposite direction

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
LOL. Bought a One X a month or so ago with the intention of playing this year's third party releases on it. Oh well. I'll still get RE3 for it. And Doom Eternal looks and plays amazing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 25, 2017
All versions have performance problems. Wouldnt say thats great. RE2 ran alot better.

This game is pushing the hardware more than RE2 as well. I would not say the PS4 Pro version has performances issues though with drops only to high 50s. That won't be noticeable to most people. They traded traded performance for visuals on Xbox One X for some reason.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I think any game that can't hit a stable 60fps should have a cap option. I'm definitely not arguing against a cap. I'm just confused why they'd be advocating for a cap on base consoles only when the One X performs worse than the PS4. They could lower the resolution in the release build for the One X, yes, but the same could be done for the PS4. I just don't get the logic.
My guess is they are confident that the X can and should do much better (I mean, the same was actually said in the video) and the base consoles don't really have much headroom left so a 30 fps cap would have been better. Wasn't RE 2 in a similar situation with the base consoles, where they weren't even close to hitting 60 fps but were still left with an unlocked frame rate?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The HDR on Pro and X looks different to me, even after calibrating the same way.

Something else I noticed, the signs on the Pro version don't seem to look the same. On X they look thick and bright, but on Pro it looks....odd. Look at the Toy Uncle sign.

5DRKQHZ.png

QAGYHdT.png

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The HDR on Pro and X looks different to me, even after calibrating the same way.

Something else I noticed, the signs on the Pro version don't seem to look the same. On X they look thick and bright, but on Pro it looks....odd. Look at the Toy Uncle sign.

5DRKQHZ.png

QAGYHdT.png

On PC, I noticed these kind of things when alternating between Normal and Interlaced mode.

Maybe the PS4 Pro's implementation of reconstruction is causing that ?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

All that ray-tracing news must have worn you out. Will they at at least let you go to the store and get some Red Bull. ;)

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
There's absolutely no reason for the 1X to ever run anything worse than any other console currently on the market.

Patch your crap Capcom. Drop the resolution slightly if you have to.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
just go with 1800p or something and let the IQ be clear and performance improved, rather than forcing 4K like this.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
The only problem I have is how dark it looks in some areas. Maybe that is how it must look. Also the audio at the beggining sounds bad.

Nov 2, 2017
This is a stupid comment as not every dev has the insane budget RDR2 had. How many years and how many devs worked on RDR2 again?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I was just glad I was actually able to play the demo for this one. The RE2:R demo on PC was broken for me.

but yeah, I'll be getting this one on PC. Runs great and hopefully we'll get some good mods too 👍

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is a stupid comment as not every dev has the insane budget RDR2 had. How many years and how many devs worked on RDR2 again?
I literally bring up two other games also and can even more. And it was a comment on the 4K. The X showed it can be native 4k and 30fps. Nothing more.

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One X demo didn't feel right to me. I'd prefer to get it on that system, but right now I am leaning towards the Pro.

Nov 2, 2017
I literally bring up two other games also and can even more. And it was a comment on the 4K. The X showed it can be native 4k and 30fps. Nothing more.
I don't think those games are really comparable to RE3 either honestly in terms of budget & manpower. Of course the X1X can do 4k30fps as any other console could. The X1s can do 4k30fps if devs wanted.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think those games are really comparable to RE3 either honestly in terms of budget & manpower. Of course the X1X can do 4k30fps as any other console could. The X1s can do 4k30fps if devs wanted.
Thats abit searching tho. It was all about One X not being a native 4K machine and offcourse decent settings. Where it showed it can be alot of times. And not only Red Dead 2 wich is still a accomplishment tho.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I noticed right away how much better the picture was when playing the X version compared to the Pro, but I'd happily take a hit to the resolution if it gave us the same performance as RE2. Going back to that now and it's so smooth in comparison.