• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Capcom continues its excellent work in remaking its Resident Evil series - and not for the first time, it manages to balance the move to new technology with respect to the original. Oddly enough, the Xbox One X version sees changes in the way it performs, at least for this demo, raising questions about how it'll run come release.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team - and work like this - more directly and get pristine quality video downloads of our work: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Article:

www.eurogamer.net

Resident Evil 3 demo analysis: the game's brilliant but something's up with Xbox One X

UPDATE 1/4/20 2pm: Digital Foundry has completed its testing of the release version of the Resident Evil 3 remake and f…

Summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

- By design more taxing than RE2.
- HDR is utterly brilliant when calibrated. One of the better showcases for it.
- Regardless of HDR or SDR, you will need to spend some time in brightness calibration settings.

- XBX targets full 4K with signs of reconstruction.
- PS4 Pro still on 1620p ala RE2 with similar reconstruction.
- X pushing more pixels but results aren't exactly too sharp.

- Base PS4: Native 1080p.
- Base XBO: Peak of 1080p with dynamic drops to 900p and between.

- Resolution ties to pixel breakup in hair. XBX > PS4 Pro > PS4 > XBO
- X has a sharper bokeh DoF seen in cut-scenes and sharper shadows compared to rest.

Performance:

- XBX shows significant drops to 40's in game play and 30's for cut-scenes.
- Pro is the front-runner, sticks to 60 with small drops to high 50's in game play. Cut-scenes drop between 50's.
- Base machines could use a 30 FPS cap. Though relatively speaking X is sometimes worse than base PS4.
- Base XBO is the worst performing version.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said on the Demo thread, it performs like crap on the X and I hope this is just old unoptimized code and not representative of how the final version will run.

Oct 28, 2017
Really hope they fix it on XB1X for the full release. I'm generally not one to care about or notice performance differences, and even I could tell something was wrong.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Dear CAPCOM RE3 eng team, could you just lower the resolution of the 1X version? much appreciated

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
User Warned: Lazy dev rhetoric
Sorry to say and I know I will sound like a mad bitch. But this is just the work of Capcom being extremely lazy with the Xbox version. Because how can the Xbox One X underperform the PS4 Pro. I can understand the original Xbox One with the PS4 but with the Xbox One X being underperforming I think they didn't even bother with Xbox.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Sorry to say and I know I will sound like a mad bitch. But this is just the work of Capcom being extremely lazy with the Xbox version. Because how can the Xbox One X underperform the PS4 Pro. I can understand the original Xbox One with the PS4 but with the Xbox One X being underperforming I think they didn't even bother with Xbox.
they need to just write the right number in the resolution toggle of their engine, I think even the most lazy team could do such an "optimization"

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
1X version is running at nearly double the resolution of Pro. 1X is not 2x as powerful as Pro so somethings gotta give.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Well, damn. I played RE2make on the X because I felt the differences were fairly marginal, but may go with PS4 Pro for R3make if it performs that much better than the X.

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief 'lazy devs' narrative is back again. We don't know how representative the demo is of the game and even then the game runs at a higher resolution on XBOX than PS4 Pro so evidently performance will be impacted. Whether they will add a toggle for this or change resolution remains to be seen but if they don't immediately ship with it, the odds of it being 'laziness' are extremely low...

Hamo

Feb 16, 2019
Chasing 4k has ruined the Xbox One X version. Adding a performance mode should have been their compromise after seeing how well the PS4 Pro runs the game at a lower resolution. Terrible on Capcom's part.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

It's running at a much higher resolution.

I guess they took feedback from RE2 that people would have preferred higher resolution on XBX.

Maybe they'll find a lossless optimisation, or simply cut back on the resolution for the final release, if the feedback points in that direction.

But at the moment it's trying to push 77% more resolution that Pro with (in simple terms) 50% more performance or so.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

do you even read...

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol I thought the framepacing was iffy on PS4 Pro when I played but heh, it was nothing compared to the rest it seems.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I don't understand why some devs do this with X, don't go higher on resolution than the framerate can handle!

They don't even need to drop it that low.
Maybe not, but it would be a smoother experience than 1800P. This game in particular with the dodge mechanic would benefit greatly. Especially at higher difficulty.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
ooof Xbox One X got Outer Wilds'd. PS4 Pro and PC are the way to go it seems

Deleted member 57990

Banned
Jun 18, 2019
While the frame rate is completely unacceptable, I have to say I much prefer the image quality on 1X. It's a little bit soft, but otherwise extremely clean, while on PS4 there's a lot of ugly edge shimmering.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with the "just drop resolution / introduce dynamic scaling" crowd.

The game has such a heavy post processed look that kinda mitigates any extra sharpness the resolution bump brings anyway. Hair filtering is the only place where X's resolution increase makes a difference. Other effects like higher quality Bokeh in cut-scenes and shadow quality are (or should be) independent of the base resolution.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
TL;DW

- By design more taxing than RE2.
- HDR is utterly brilliant when calibrated. One of the better showcases for it.
- Regardless of HDR or SDR, you will need to spend some time in brightness calibration settings.

- XBX targets full 4K with signs of reconstruction.
- PS4 Pro still on 1620p ala RE2 with similar reconstruction.
- X pushing more pixels but results aren't exactly too sharp.

- Base PS4: Native 1080p.
- Base XBO: Peak of 1080p with dynamic drops to 900p and between.

- Resolution ties to pixel breakup in hair. XBX > PS4 Pro > PS4 > XBO
- X has a sharper bokeh DoF seen in cut-scenes and sharper shadows compared to rest.

Performance:

- XBX shows significant drops to 40's in game play and 30's for cut-scenes.
- Pro is the front-runner, sticks to 60 with small drops to high 50's in game play. Cut-scenes drop between 50's.
- Base machines could use a 30 FPS cap. Though relatively speaking X is sometimes worse than base PS4.
- Base XBO is the worst performing version.

Then I guess my C9 and the game HDR settings aren't properly calibrated because it just looks bad. The raised black levels are crazy.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they're advocating a 30fps cap on base PS4. This is from VG Tech's analysis:

VlFpAVB.png

Base PS4 delivers frames within 16.67ms ~71% of the time while Xbox One does it ~42% of the time. It performs better than the One X version, even. I really wish DF would collect this kind of data instead of giving broad generalizations.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
What happen with Outer Wilds?
It was using xbox base assets at 4k resolution. Meanwhile the Pro was running at 1440P(?), but had higher quality assets.

It didn't take long for the devs to patch it up.

Still, I don't think it's the case with RE3. It's just running worse because it's pushing more pixels.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RE3 is running at a higher resolution than DMC and RE2. They sure tried it with the X.
1. It will get downgraded to match Pro
2. They will somehow stabilize framerate

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up playing the demo on my one x, it's fucking gorgeous to look at, but my god it plays horribly, I am also not buying it day one anymore as I am waiting feedback from players as to how performance is in the final game.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm not too well-versed in this sort of thing, but does the base PS4 version of RE3 run more or less as well as RE2 did on the same system, then?

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Very much looking forward to replaying RE2make and R3make on PS5 after they have been patched.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
While the frame rate is completely unacceptable, I have to say I much prefer the image quality on 1X. It's a little bit soft, but otherwise extremely clean, while on PS4 there's a lot of ugly edge shimmering.
That's ultimately why I went with the 1X over PS4 Pro for RE2. The differences between the two versions felt negligible otherwise. Hopefully they'll address this in time for release, it will make the decision a lot easier, haha.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm not too well-versed in this sort of thing, but does the base PS4 version of RE3 run more or less as well as RE2 did on the same system, then?

It's a little worse than RE2, but that's owing to the bigger scope of the game and how many more enemies etc it's pushing compared to RE2.

VGTech's RE2 video with performance metrics:
www.youtube.com

Resident Evil 2 Remake PS4 vs PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X vs Xbox One Frame Rate Comparison

Review Codes were supplied by Capcom. Resident Evil 2 Remake frame rate test comparing the performance on Playstation 4, Playstation 4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox...

RE2 on OG PS4 has an average frame rate of 50~ FPS. RE3 on OG PS4 has 46.5~

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Did DF stop analysing PC for more titles or is it just me?

I was hoping they would look at which AA, Res, downsampling combination would lead to cleaner hair.
The hair is what really screws with me in RE2 looks like the issue is the same in RE3.