• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

summary forthcoming
  • fidelity same as demo
  • PS4P - 2880x1620, CB
  • XOX - 2160p with reconstruction
  • PS4/XOS - 1080p
  • One X has better dof and shadows are slightly higher res
  • outdoor city area is pretty linear with few branching paths
  • RE3 looks cleaner than RE2
  • screen space reflections still noisy like in RE2
  • enemy animation rate differs depending on distance (15fps/30fps/60fps)
  • more liberties with RE3 remake compared to RE2 in regards to designs from the PS1
  • performance same as demo
  • PS4P on top, has some dips to 47fps
  • One X's 4K causes the game to always be under 60fps
  • avg 50, drops to 30 in explosions
  • RE2 on One X was lower resolution (*I think it was the same as PS4P's resolution*)
  • Capcom is aware of the One X's performance; maybe a patch?
  • One S ranges from 60 to 30 fps, rarely 60fps; performs worse than RE2
  • PS4 also varies wildly; higher average
  • both would do better with a framerate cap
  • cutscenes, multiple paths, areas that were in the original game are missing

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Demo article has some updates:

www.eurogamer.net

Resident Evil 3 demo analysis: the game's brilliant but something's up with Xbox One X

UPDATE 1/4/20 2pm: Digital Foundry has completed its testing of the release version of the Resident Evil 3 remake and f…

Digital Foundry has completed its testing of the release version of the Resident Evil 3 remake and found that the playable demo currently available to all users is indeed a good indication of performance in the retail game, meaning that of all the console versions available, PlayStation 4 Pro offers the most consistent experience and is our recommended pick. Meanwhile, as with the demo, Xbox One X trades too much in performance terms in exchange for its 2160p rendering. Traversing the console power ladder, frame-rates on the base consoles continue to be variable, with Xbox One S running at a disadvantage compared to PlayStation 4.

We asked Capcom for comment about the Xbox One X showing and got this statement: "Capcom is definitely aware of the fan feedback with regards to Xbox performance, so they may look into providing a solution sometime after launch." From our perspective, we would hope to see the option to choose between higher frame-rates at 1620p (as per the X's pixel count in Resident Evil 2 Remake) or an image quality mode for the current 2160p set-up.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I can't stand when a developer's idea of "enhancing" a game for the Xbox One X, is simply to crank the game to 2160p irrespective of whatever the performance cost is, and then just call it a day. Fallout 4 did this too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
From our perspective, we would hope to see the option to choose between higher frame-rates at 1620p (as per the X's pixel count in Resident Evil 2 Remake) or an image quality mode for the current 2160p set-up.

Sounds like this would be perfect. RE2 was great at those settings. No idea why Capcom thought that changing that to a full 4k image, at the expense of performance, was the right idea.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
At least they say they know about it and are considering what to do about one x. I really hope frame rate takes priority over 4K 4K 4K 8k stuff next gen for everyone. Take advantage of dynamic res all you want just get the game to 60.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
That's a damn shame, hopefully they decide to do something about it. Either a variable resolution, or an option for performance mode/image quality mode.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is the X native 4k or reconstructed 4k?

DF said it was native at the start of the video and checkerboard / reconstructed later in the video.

And base consoles desperately need a 30fps cap judging from that video. Xbox One is dropping below 30 in that video at points.

Also any chance they do a Persona 5 Royal video. I know the game has PS4 Pro enhancements but would like to know what they actually updated over the original game.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Really, really wish more One X games had a 1080p60 mode. I would definitely take that over a super unstable framerate at 4k. KH3 on One X had the exact same problem.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So is the X native 4k or reconstructed 4k?

DF said it was native at the start of the video and checkerboard / reconstructed later in the video.

Also any chance they do a Persona 5 Royal video. I know the game has PS4 Pro enhancements but would like to know what they actually updated over the original game.

It's reconstructed to 4K.

I think what they meant is that the game targets a full 4K resolution (2160p) using reconstruction and doesn't reconstruct to a lower resolution like Pro.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder why they didn't go with dynamic resolution. Going for full-fat 4K seems foolish in this day and age.

edit: Oh, it's reconstruction? Still, they could have aimed lower. I doubt anyone looking at this DF video could tell a resolution difference between the Pro and One X during normal gameplay.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cvxfreak sounds really down on the game damn, like you can heard him say he enjoyed it, but he's sounds mostly disappointed.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit, it's native 4k on X and not reconstructed?

Insane that they did this but the resolution is might impressive then.

Deleted member 64860

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2020
The X isn't at fault here, it's a dedicated machine that is only powerful as its wielder is.

1800P or 1440p would have been the better option for the X.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Resolution should always be 2nd to frame rate, why are devs still making this mistake.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
If I bought this for my xbox one x I'd have to bypass my av receiver so I got vrr, luckily I have pre ordered it for pc.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We asked Capcom for comment about the Xbox One X showing and got this statement: "Capcom is definitely aware of the fan feedback with regards to Xbox performance, so they may look into providing a solution sometime after launch."

Guess that means I'll buy it sometime after launch :/

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Resolution should always be 2nd to frame rate, why are devs still making this mistake.
That's an issue of the past with VRR as long as they manage to stay within 41-59 FPS, they can focus on res as far as I am concerned.
I appreciate this doesn't help everybody as not many have TVs/ monitors with VRR, but as time goes along, this will be standard in any price range of TVs.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
they're both very down on the game damn

It's understandable but totally subjective.

Alex is clear that in his vision, RE3make would be basically the same game scaled up (ala REmake or how faithful RE2make was).

I, personally, don't mind that they reimagined so much of the game. Gives it a more unique and distinct feel.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can't stand when a developer's idea of "enhancing" a game for the Xbox One X, is simply to crank the game to 2160p irrespective of whatever the performance cost is, and then just call it a day. Fallout 4 did this too.
Agreed. A consistent framerate should be the baseline, then worry about the resolution

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Agreed. A consistent framerate should be the baseline, then worry about the resolution

It's just the epitome of either laziness, or a lack of attention. Okay, you've cranked the resolution on One X to 2160p and broke for early lunch.... did anyone actually playtest that experience afterward? Did they do so for more than 45 seconds?

The baseline for any One X "enhancement" should be starting with the PS4 Pro's settings, and seeing what else you can crank up before it starts impacting the framerate. It really doesn't strike me as that difficult.

Xbox owners will pay for these games. Could Capcom maybe spend a few minutes putting in the effort to ensure an optimal experience for those customers?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's just the epitome of either laziness, or a lack of attention. Okay, you've cranked the resolution on One X to 2160p and broke for early lunch.... did anyone actually playtest that experience afterward? Did they do so for more than 45 seconds?

The baseline for any One X "enhancement" should be starting with the PS4 Pro's settings, and seeing what else you can crank up before it starts impacting the framerate. It really doesn't strike me as that difficult.

Xbox owners will pay for these games. Could Capcom maybe spend a few minutes putting in the effort to ensure an optimal experience for those customers?
They prioritise res over framerate. Pretty disappointing.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Did MS force them to go gung ho with resolution? How did anyone at Capcom think this is acceptable?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preloading on the Pro at the moment. Demo felt really smooth, good to know it keeps mostly to 60fps for the whole game.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Is it me or too many game dev priortise native 4K over frame rate on One X. More often than not, Pro as better framerate.
In general, the output of third party games on mid gen are mostly terrible.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Would be cool if Microsoft could add a system-level "Xbox One S Mode" for the Xbox One X. It would force the game to run at Xbox One S settings, but with the extra power still available similar to how regular unpatched games work.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Sorry can't watch the video atm, when you put an Xbox One X on 1080p does it forcibly supersample or can that be toggled system level as well?

That's an issue of the past with VRR as long as they manage to stay within 41-59 FPS, they can focus on res as far as I am concerned.
I appreciate this doesn't help everybody as not many have TVs/ monitors with VRR, but as time goes along, this will be standard in any price range of TVs.

It helps a negligible amount and to act like Capcom is allowing the X version to have substandard performance to focus on a reconstructed 2160p resolution because of this is bizarre to say the least. I'm truly glad it helps you but let's not let Capcom off the hook.

Is it me or too many game dev priortise native 4K over frame rate on One X. More often than not, Pro as better framerate.
In general, the output of third party games on mid gen are mostly terrible.

Certainly Microsoft hyped up 4K for the box, to the extent they printed it on the chip. But I would think anyone would take a variable resolution with a locked in 60 fps.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
More liberty on design and yet super short game is definitely disappointing. No wonder the MP is a freebie, they realize this game will be in the bomba bin in 2 months if not. Heck it would probably be 30 bucks in 2 months anyway.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry can't watch the video atm, when you put an Xbox One X on 1080p does it forcibly supersample or can that be toggled system level as well?

It helps a negligible amount and to act like Capcom is allowing the X version to have substandard performance to focus on a reconstructed 2160p resolution because of this is bizarre to say the least. I'm truly glad it helps you but let's not let Capcom off the hook.

Certainly Microsoft hyped up 4K for the box, to the extent they printed it on the chip. But I would think anyone would take a variable resolution with a locked in 60 fps.
I don't think the One X ever renders a game at lower resolutions when changing the resolution setting at the OS level. It only does if the game specifically has a toggle for it (like Forza Horizon 4's Performance mode).

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Would be cool if Microsoft could add a system-level "Xbox One S Mode" for the Xbox One X. It would force the game to run at Xbox One S settings, but with the extra power still available similar to how regular unpatched games work.
It could probably run the game at 60FPS at 1800p, which is 2.8 times the pixels of regular 1080p. (While 4K is 4 times the pixels) Capcom (And other devs sometimes) simply aimed way too high with the resolution for no apparent reason.