• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
400 for what essentially is the entry level card is not that exciting either to me sadly :-(
Entry level is 2060 and it's $300.
2060S is already mid range for RT.

Haha, this is why it's sometimes difficult to sell RT, people are informed and they pick the difference but in most of those comparison pics, i could totally see people outside of that group even thinking the darker version with fake shadows looks better. IN the indoor cabin shot, the RT version has nice indirect light, ok, but i'm pretty sure lots of people would think the darker version is more "realistic" even if it's not.
Proper lightning can be a bit difficult to see in static images, especially since most rasterization approaches are producing tolerable static results since they are either baked in or screen space. The difference is usually immediately noticeable in motion to anyone. Screenshots don't do any justice here.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
Because RT isn't an essential visual feature to experience a video game. Many people can't even tell the difference or know what's better when you show them RT on/off comparison images. I work with graphics every day so when I see these comparison images I know what to look for and I go "ahh that's cool, I can see shadows falling in a physically accurate way in a game rendered in real time". But so what? General public doesn't care if some shadow under a sofa is physically accurate. You need flickering gif images to point out the difference, and even then some can't tell which is the better version.

And that's how we lived without ray tracing and will continue to do so just fine until it becomes cheap and mainstream.

Video game graphics lovers are approaching audiophile level now. But that's also a sign the techniques are maturing.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, but I bet they are working on something.

Their image shaprening, which you may be thinking of (RIS), is just image sharpening and not reconstruciton. For some reason, due to media coverage or something, people lumped it in with DLSS which I never understood.
Doesnt Monster Hunter World have a reconstruction technique applied when you use FidelityFX+CAS option?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Proper lightning can be a bit difficult to see in static images, especially since most rasterization approaches are producing tolerable static results since they are either baked in or screen space. The difference is usually immediately noticeable in motion to anyone. Screenshots don't do any justice here.
"Proper lighting" hmm... that's an interesting terminology you used.

I don't really recall anyone from DF crew or here on the forum putting much emphasis at really explaining that Raytracing is just a tool that lighting or visual artist can use to easier recreate realistic looking lighting / reflections / etc. If artist intentionally or unintentionally uses wrong values for materials, badly place light sources and use wrong emissive properties, it will look anything but "proper".

I think it really needs to be hammered into consumers heads that Raytracing by itself doesn't automatically mean that game will have photorealistic and accurate-to-real-world graphics.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe ? I was more under the feeling that we've been used to the idea that big shadows everywhere are kinda realistic and gritty, would be interesting to test a panel and ask them what's the best light :p
But my point is it's more subjective and less obvious night and day than people here think
I'm going by my own experiences. People tend to like visibility even if it's not physically possible

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Ah, thanks. I already thought that was be the case and that the raytraced version is the more realistic looking one. Realistic isn't always stylistically/artistically the best though. I think the darker, less realistic version looks better, a lot actually, it has more atmosphere.
I'm referring only to that one comparison though. In others the raytraced version does look better.

Darker version is giving you a bit more detail in some of the screenshots, yes, but it looks completely artificial and drab. The raytraced versions bring life to each screnshots (even with all that low poly goodness).

Also, when you move your character-camera, you will see the same details in real-time (vs the static screenshot view), ray tracing does not hide detail, it just make things react more natural to light and shadows.

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
Entry level is 2060 and it's $300.
2060S is already mid range for RT.

300 for an entry level card... i really miss the geforce 8800 times

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
300 is absolutely nothing if you can afford PC gaming as hobby.
No it's not, i always bought mid ranger cards (9700 Pro, X850 Pro, 8800GTS, HD7950, GTX 970) for that price or less and they all were absolute killers price to performance wise, what nvidia is offering these days is terrible value, and i say this as someone who recently bought a 12k euros motorcycle, so It's not that i can't buy one, i just refuse to be overcharged

Feb 6, 2019
Nvidia inflates their prices because AMD isn't as competitve right now. AMD is coming out with ray tracing capable cards this year so maybe get that.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing through Dishonored 2, and it seems like it would have been an ideal showcase for ray tracing with the way that it's lit/directed, and the amount of metal and glass everywhere. Returning to it after a few years has me thinking that it may be one of the best looking (and overlooked) games this generation too.
It's also a game where performance is heavily limited by the CPU and requires that the frame rate is absolutely locked to 60/120 to run smoothly (VRR is ineffective, and I have doubts that anything could hold a solid 120 yet) which would mean that the penalty of RT games not really hitting more than 60 FPS wouldn't be much of a factor.

It's a real shame that the series is on hold, and I would have loved to see a sequel that implemented RT.
300 is absolutely nothing if you can afford PC gaming as hobby.
PC gaming is not inherently expensive. You can build a competent system that is cheaper than owning all the current-gen consoles (and then the pro upgrades) - which many people here do.
Though costs are increasing, once you have the hardware, PC gaming is generally cheaper than console gaming.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Nvidia inflates their prices because AMD isn't as competitve right now. AMD is coming out with ray tracing capable cards this year so maybe get that.

AMD's latest offerings are pretty competitive, but I imagine people again ignore them as they aren't blowing past 2000 series by 50% and/or doing suicidal price undercuts.

Fact is that price point for PC hardware has moved up. AMD didn't go competitive with Ryzen pricing moment they had upper hand, they kept level going.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think monster hunter uses reconstruction if you choose to be subnative in that game? Yeah

I would imagine something like what consoles use we h ave not reported on that PC version in a while!
It actually came with the iceborne update. I don't know if it used reconstruction when going subnative before, but turning on FidelityFX+CAS definitely makes it use reconstruction when using native Res and turns it off when you disable FidelityFX+CAS

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
No it's not, i always bought mid ranger cards (9700 Pro, X850 Pro, 8800GTS, HD7950, GTX 970) for that price or less and they all were absolute killers price to performance wise, what nvidia is offering these days is terrible value, and i say this as someone who recently bought a 12k euros motorcycle, so It's not that i can't buy one, i just refuse to be overcharged
You're looking at it the wrong way. Entry level 2060 is far from an entry level performer in non RT loads. It blows away the value of every other $300 GPU. RX 5700 is overpriced considering you pay more and don't even get ray tracing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMD's latest offerings are pretty competitive, but I imagine people again ignore them as they aren't blowing past 2000 series by 50% and/or doing suicidal price undercuts.

Fact is that price point for PC hardware has moved up. AMD didn't go competitive with Ryzen pricing moment they had upper hand, they kept level going.
I think it's more because that low end is still serviced by old-ass cards like the 580. The majority buys cards in the sub-300 area and the choices are a lot of new cards that do as well as old cards. They're good if it's a legit upgrade, but for people with 1060s and 580s it's been a wash

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
"Proper lighting" hmm... that's an interesting terminology you used.

I don't really recall anyone from DF crew or here on the forum putting much emphasis at really explaining that Raytracing is just a tool that lighting or visual artist can use to easier recreate realistic looking lighting / reflections / etc. If artist intentionally or unintentionally uses wrong values for materials, badly place light sources and use wrong emissive properties, it will look anything but "proper".

I think it really needs to be hammered into consumers heads that Raytracing by itself doesn't automatically mean that game will have photorealistic and accurate-to-real-world graphics.
No, it won't. That's the beauty of RT - it will always look proper, no matter how you place it. The only way to make it look bad is to not use PBR materials but this will make non-RT lighting look even worse. And who doesn't use PBR these days?

300 for an entry level card... i really miss the geforce 8800 times
Entry level for your own home RT capable device.
This is the same as Voodoo Graphics was priced at launch back in 1996, before accounting for inflation.
So for a new rendering h/w paradigm (which is also very good at standard rasterization) this isn't a lot.

AMD is 100% competitive at the moment between 2060 and 2070S which covers about 2/3rds of RTX lineup. You basically get similar performance from NV with RTX for free. I don't know how this is "inflating prices".
Anyone expecting 2080Ti performance at $200 soon because of "inflated prices" will be waiting for another five or so years. Current GPU prices are not inflated.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saw this while browsing the UE forums. this is probably what people mean when they say ray tracing will help devs, when you can start lighting your scenes before you even place light actors

zero light actors, all emissive (the UE4 reflections demo)

fetch

and again, all emissives (GI off/on)
fetch

fetch

forums.unrealengine.com

Working emissive materials in RTGI (with screenshots)

Been playing around with injecting emissive materials into the RT Global Illumination lighting environment. Big drawbacks are: Denoiser is not working with the injected irradiance Environment has to have at least SOME lighting (HDR map, point light etc) Digging more, but man it is glorious...

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
saw this while browsing the UE forums. this is probably what people mean when they say ray tracing will help devs, when you can start lighting your scenes before you even place light actors

fetch

fetch

fetch

forums.unrealengine.com

Been playing around with injecting emissive materials into the RT Global Illumination lighting environment. Big drawbacks are: Denoiser is not working with the injected irradiance Environment has to have at least SOME lighting (HDR map, point light etc) Digging more, but man it is glorious...
I adore RT emissives. Perfect for future games/sci-fi/cyberpunk stuff since there are so many non-pointlight area lights everywhere!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
None of those cards you mentioned were midrangers. They were either the 2nd most powerful or the 3rd most powerful card in the market.
The mid rangers have always been the x600/x060 series or those kind basically. The 2060 is a mid range card performance wise, not entry level...even if it's entry level for RTX specifically. The midranger in 8800 days was 8600GT.

Additionally mid rangers today are far better than midrangers of yesteryears in terms of relative performance, since you can actually push the graphics pretty close to max with midrangers like 2060 now and still get high framerate (quite often 60+). Whereas back in the 8600GT days you had to play at medium for 60FPS. So considering that increase in performance a $300 midranger is pretty good.

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017

*screenshots*
forums.unrealengine.com

So cool :)

ppn7

May 4, 2019
is there any game using DLSS 2X currently ? What's the difference with DLSS and will it be used later?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
is there any game using DLSS 2X currently ?
No.

What's the difference with DLSS and will it be used later?
DLSS 1x reconstructs a chosen native resolution from a lower one by learning how the same image would look like at a higher than native (supersampled) resolution.
DLSS 2x would presumably reconstruct a supersampled image based on native resolution rendering.
The obvious difference is that DLSS 1x gives a performance boost (due to actual rendering happening in lower resolution) while DLSS 2x would be rendering in native res and thus would likely result in a performance hit when going from no AA or TAA. The quality of AA with DLSS 2x though should be considerably better.
Last time I've heard anything on this DLSS 2x was still in the pipeline and will presumably appear at some point - likely around Ampere launch already.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

fetch

fetch

fetch

forums.unrealengine.com

Well, the other thing is, you save a lot of time calculating light maps. You get the lighting where you want it with ray tracing, then do your bake to make sure it still looks good. It's going to cut down on the whole bake / tweak / bake / tweak / bake time sink.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Gamble of today, tomorrow sure thing, 60fps the day after tomorrow.

It's great tech but cards are not powerful enough. If you buy a card today, the game of tomorrow will probably run only with RT disabled.

Buying today a card for RT is pointless for tomorrow's games

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the other thing is, you save a lot of time calculating light maps. You get the lighting where you want it with ray tracing, then do your bake to make sure it still looks good. It's going to cut down on the whole bake / tweak / bake / tweak / bake time sink.
how topical. DXR-based lightmass coming around 4.26

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I hope they forget this thing on console exclusives, hardware are not ready for that loss of perfromance if we really want native 4k and a serious jump in graphics, physics etc.
I can perfectly live with state of the art precanned shadows\reflection for another 5-6 years.
And for the record, i am mostly a pc gamer with a rtx capable gpu and i'm gonna buy a nvidia 3000 series.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019
I hope they forget this thing on console exclusives, hardware are not ready for that loss of perfromance if we really want native 4k and a serious jump in graphics, physics etc.
I can perfectly live with state of the art precanned shadows\reflection for another 5-6 years.
Have you seen the video? Alex clearly shows why lower res with RT is much better than higher res without RT. Whats the point of a cleaner image if the content looks worse and has less effects. I'm glad that thanks to the mid gen consoles and DLSS people are way more accepting of reconstructions techniques and stopped ridiculing "fauxK". I take reconstruction plus RT over native 4K all day.

I was talking to a game artist for the last couple of months and he said that with smart implementation and hybrid RT you can have the benefits of RT where it matters, without tanking the framerate.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
DLSS 1x reconstructs a chosen native resolution from a lower one by learning how the same image would look like at a higher than native (supersampled) resolution.
DLSS 2x would presumably reconstruct a supersampled image based on native resolution rendering.
The obvious difference is that DLSS 1x gives a performance boost (due to actual rendering happening in lower resolution) while DLSS 2x would be rendering in native res and thus would likely result in a performance hit when going from no AA or TAA. The quality of AA with DLSS 2x though should be considerably better.
Last time I've heard anything on this DLSS 2x was still in the pipeline and will presumably appear at some point - likely around Ampere launch already.

Do you think DLSS 2x would give you better results for games where TAA is giving significant issues in image quality? For example Red Dead Redemption 2 is not sensible to run without TAA due to a lot of shimmering but it looks a lot better when you get to above native resolution as that seems to counteract any blurring TAA causes. I haven't been able to get quite as good results using a combination of the built-in TAA sharpening with Nvidia Image Sharpening feature.

Like would for example RDR2 with DLSS 2x (if it supported the feature) at 4K look closer to running the game at 5-6K resolution but without the massive performance cost?

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
how topical. DXR-based lightmass coming around 4.26

So GPULightmass is finally released officially? This really comes a long way. I remember the author started working on this when he's still at school. Back when DXR wasn't out he tried quite a few SOTA GPU BVH method in CUDA.

Is DXR support a must for realtime preview?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think DLSS 2x would give you better results for games where TAA is giving significant issues in image quality? For example Red Dead Redemption 2 is not sensible to run without TAA due to a lot of shimmering but it looks a lot better when you get to above native resolution as that seems to counteract any blurring TAA causes. I haven't been able to get quite as good results using a combination of the built-in TAA sharpening with Nvidia Image Sharpening feature.

Like would for example RDR2 with DLSS 2x (if it supported the feature) at 4K look closer to running the game at 5-6K resolution but without the massive performance cost?
DLSS 2x is basically supersampling via reconstruction.

Rainbow Six Siege on PC gives you 3 different reconstruction options first being called TAA (it's called TAA but it's actually TAA+ reconstruction) where they use a sub native res to reconstruct a native res image. TAA 2x where they use reconstruction from a set resolution (the minimum being the native res of the monitor) to double the pixel count, and TAA 4x where they quadruple the pixel count. All three are the same exact technique (quite similar to CBR, though they did use to use MSAA for obtaining extra samples), the difference is just in what resolution it's reconstructed from and what resolution it's reconstructing to...as the 2x and 4x version are used to supersample but without the significant cost of traditional supersampling, and the other version being used to render to native resolution and save some performance. In all these cases they use TAA on the final image to soften the artifacting from reconstruction.

DLSS 2x reconstructing FROM 4K is going to provide an IQ far superior to 4K.

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
I guess the thing there is that metro has a dynamic TOD so you cannot do much for baking beyond... PRT really. Or at worse something like Ass Creed Unity and not have a real dynamic TOD.

One thing the baked lighting cannot do really well that RTGI in metro does really well is indirect specular. The diffuse will look great, but the specular results from it will all be wrong/non existant or actually just be cubemaps.
Yes, specular is hard to bake since it's view dependent. That's also why the first batch of RTX games focus on reflection first since replacing baked lighting with RT won't have many impacts on overall visuals. Though for specular on rough surface pre-calculation based solution might still looks better than real time method. The Order 1886 is a nice example.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You can force Control to use it.
Control doesn't really use DLSS (despite what the name says), it's using an image based reconstruction filter, probably similar to temporal injection and such. Thus whatever you can "force" in it won't be DLSS either, 2x or not.

Sure, it will try to reconstruct supersampling AA on top of native resolution rendering. The results should be pretty good and devoid of any typical TAA issues (ghosting, blurring, etc). But since we didn't even see it in demos yet it's hard to say what the actual results will be.

It should look a bit like supersampling so probably. Performance cost however is hard to pinpoint at the moment. I won't be surprised for example if 2x will only work on Ampere due to performance constraints.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
No.

DLSS 2x is basically supersampling via reconstruction.

Rainbow Six Siege on PC gives you 3 different reconstruction options first being called TAA (it's called TAA but it's actually TAA+ reconstruction) where they use a sub native res to reconstruct a native res image. TAA 2x where they use reconstruction from a set resolution (the minimum being the native res of the monitor) to double the pixel count, and TAA 4x where they quadruple the pixel count. All three are the same exact technique (quite similar to CBR, though they did use to use MSAA for obtaining extra samples), the difference is just in what resolution it's reconstructed from and what resolution it's reconstructing to...as the 2x and 4x version are used to supersample but without the significant cost of traditional supersampling, and the other version being used to render to native resolution and save some performance. In all these cases they use TAA on the final image to soften the artifacting from reconstruction.

DLSS 2x reconstructing FROM 4K is going to provide an IQ far superior to 4K.

So DLSS2X at 4K should hit performance vs 4K TAA but should also be better ?
What about a 1080P DLSS 2X ? Should it look like a 4K with 1440p performance for example ?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And for the record, i am mostly a pc gamer with a rtx capable gpu and i'm gonna buy a nvidia 3000 series.
Exclusive games will the the ones that push RT the hardest. Also, it won't be an either/or thing. You'll get good performance and RT features. A best, you'll get a performance toggle that turns them down

So GPULightmass is finally released officially? This really comes a long way. I remember the author started working on this when he's still at school. Back when DXR wasn't out he tried quite a few SOTA GPU BVH method in CUDA.

Is DXR support a must for realtime preview?
Yea it probably will be. Epic will probably bring it up during their GDC talk. They said they'll be talking about a lot of brand new features for the engine

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So DLSS2X at 4K should hit performance vs 4K TAA but should also be better ?
That's my current expectation, yes.

What about a 1080P DLSS 2X ? Should it look like a 4K with 1440p performance for example ?
It may. But again, it's hard to say anything for sure about it's quality and performance right now because the only place we even saw DLSS 2x in action right now was this static screenshot:

NVIDIA-GeForce-20-Series_Official_Turing_NGX_DNN_DLSS_Versus-Super-Sampling.png

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
That's my current expectation, yes.

It may. But again, it's hard to say anything for sure about it's quality and performance right now because the only place we even saw DLSS 2x in action right now was this static screenshot:

NVIDIA-GeForce-20-Series_Official_Turing_NGX_DNN_DLSS_Versus-Super-Sampling.png
I think DLSS is more interesting for low end hardware honestly, if it could help a gpu punch above its weight (switch 2 maybe? Or my next laptop).

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Just posting this in this thread again since this seems to be the latest "RT hangout". The new Metro Exodus DLC is honestly almost an RT GI showcase. One big map with constantly changing lighting conditions that really pushes a rasterized approach to lighting to its limits.
UJmkuFK.png

3JMEhwd.png

muWceOP.png

oUKbiOQ.png

The parts that you're supposed to use a flashlight in really benefit from it. You almost never need it anymore because of the indirect light.
rtsmVoC.png

ckS8MRM.png

One of the things I like the most is proper dynamic lighting on stuff half in the shade like this dude here whose backside gets accurately darkened.
I7JZ8xv.png

rGUwE3i.png
ksU3qa6.png

Here you could see the light from the outside pouring in while in the non-raytraced version everything was just kind of evenly lit.
ljo7p8z.png

Still amazed about the quality of this implementation and how well it runs considering what it is doing.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Just posting this in this thread again since this seems to be the latest "RT hangout". The new Metro Exodus DLC is honestly almost an RT GI showcase. One big map with constantly changing lighting conditions that really pushes a rasterized approach to lighting to its limits.
UJmkuFK.png

3JMEhwd.png

muWceOP.png

oUKbiOQ.png

The parts that you're supposed to use a flashlight in really benefit from it. You almost never need it anymore because of the indirect light.
rtsmVoC.png

ckS8MRM.png

One of the things I like the most is proper dynamic lighting on stuff half in the shade like this dude here whose backside gets accurately darkened.
I7JZ8xv.png

rGUwE3i.png
ksU3qa6.png

Here you could see the light from the outside pouring in while in the non-raytraced version everything was just kind of evenly lit.
ljo7p8z.png

Still amazed about the quality of this implementation and how well it runs considering what it is doing.
Excellent pics.
Especially number 2, 3 and 4

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RT GI is so impressive. Cyberpunk is using this methode of Raytracing too, correct? This is going to be good o.o

This is a better use case than RT Reflections imo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GI really does change up the mood of those scenes. hope devs can find a way to get GI running on the consoles

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
UJmkuFK.png

3JMEhwd.png

muWceOP.png

oUKbiOQ.png

rtsmVoC.png

ckS8MRM.png

I7JZ8xv.png

rGUwE3i.png
ksU3qa6.png

ljo7p8z.png

Amazing results. Can you share some actual first person gameplay comparisons as well? Thanks

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
In before someone says it just looks like contrast/clarity filters and the "50%" hit isn't worth it.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though for a minute that the thread itself was sponsored content and was like that was weird.

Ray tracing should be cool tho