• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of minecraft, a new showcase came out several days ago. The emissives are really nice

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
AMD wants to be in the raytracing business but they don't have an answer for DLSS. It was always a packaged combo for Nvidia.

I thought AMD has its own reconstruction tech?

I'm just saying that you can get better results without having to use ray tracing, but it's easier and cheaper (for the developer) to do it in real-time now that RT is here.

You can fake by hand better results than computer does when it executes calculations within actual laws of physics? What?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The thing I don't understand is why there's much complaining about the performance hit for ray tracing when going from 1080p to 4K is far more taxing and the visual benefit is much worse than something like the RT we've seen in Control/Exodus. On console developers fall over themselves sacrificing frame rate, detail and effects to get as close to 4k as possible on the X/Pro and I don't see anywhere near as much whining about that.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The thing I don't understand is why there's much complaining about the performance hit for ray tracing when going from 1080p to 4K is far more ta ing and the visual benefit is much worse than something like the RT we've seen in Control/Exodus. On console developers fall over themselves sacrificing frame rate, detail and effects to get as close to 4k as possible on the X/Pro and I don't see anywhere near as much whining about that.

Some just expect 4k60 or higher performance no matter what, some are already eyeing 8k as "future" even when it's more the same old. Boring resolution pumping.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
You can fake by hand better results than computer does when it executes calculations within actual laws of physics? What?
Ah, I see how that could be read differently than I intended.
You can get better baked-lighting results than Metro has when you disable Ray Tracing. Many games do.
And technically, you could bake in better static environmental lighting than the real-time ray tracing is capable of, but that's not what I meant.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Ah, I see how that could be read differently than I intended.
You can get better baked-lighting results than Metro has when you disable Ray Tracing. Many games do.
And technically, you could bake in better static environmental lighting than the real-time ray tracing is capable of, but that's not what I meant.
I guess the thing there is that metro has a dynamic TOD so you cannot do much for baking beyond... PRT really. Or at worse something like Ass Creed Unity and not have a real dynamic TOD.

One thing the baked lighting cannot do really well that RTGI in metro does really well is indirect specular. The diffuse will look great, but the specular results from it will all be wrong/non existant or actually just be cubemaps.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I've actually got no idea if I had to make a completely uneducated guess I'd take a stab around before they bought 3dfx?, I was more or less just implying that nvidia are known for playing it loose and fast when it suits them.
Tesla (G80/G9x/GT2xx) was the last (and first?) time when NV's rated TFlops were unreachable on practice. They've never "inflated" TFlops or anything really since then.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I've been digging back into Metro Exodus and man that GI is still killer. I thought it would be fun to no clip out of the normal game area and see how raytracing behaves in areas that the player doesn't have access to and normally can't see up close. It shows well how powerful raytracing already is when it just simply replaces basic lighting.
X3iQPqb.png

jnLv6XW.png

oIjgDJX.png

MOw03Ff.png

yjyjDeA.png

WFeJV4c.png

Bonus pic of a normal game area because I don't wanna post just janky looking low-poly stuff

PjRE0G5.png

wMzKlLO.png

What I haven't found yet was an option to change the time of day or whatever. I think a time-lapse would be showing how dynamic all this lighting is really well.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been digging back into Metro Exodus and man that GI is still killer. I thought it would be fun to no clip out of the normal game area and see how raytracing behaves in areas that the player doesn't have access to and normally can't see up close. It shows well how powerful raytracing already is when it just simply replaces basic lighting.

yjyjDeA.png

WFeJV4c.png

Bonus pic of a normal game area because I don't wanna post just janky looking low-poly stuff

What I haven't found yet was an option to change the time of day or whatever. I think a time-lapse would be showing how dynamic all this lighting is really well.
ray traced ambient occlusion is a powerful thing

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes... this thread is nuts.

I'm looking forward to our ray tracing future. Imagine how good ND's first ray-traced PS5 title will look...

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
X3iQPqb.png

jnLv6XW.png

oIjgDJX.png

MOw03Ff.png

yjyjDeA.png

WFeJV4c.png

PjRE0G5.png

wMzKlLO.png

Love this - which chest engine you using?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X3iQPqb.png

jnLv6XW.png

oIjgDJX.png

MOw03Ff.png

yjyjDeA.png

WFeJV4c.png

PjRE0G5.png

wMzKlLO.png

Great work!

How did we live without ray tracing? No game should look that flat.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Way too early to talk about workflow improvements from access to ray tracing. At this point it just looks better and damn the human costs, same as all AAA features.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Love this - which chest engine you using?
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Developer Console + NoClip

⚠️Requires Cheat Engine 7.1 in order to work properly⚠️ Download → Cheat Engine 7.1 With this Cheat Engine Table you ca...
Plus photo mode to hide the gun. (wasted way too much time trying to hide the gun and various screen effects via console)
I also found out that you can totally load weather parameters from different maps. Really shows off nicely how the indirect lighting changes.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Not yet, but I bet they are working on something.

Their image shaprening, which you may be thinking of (RIS), is just image sharpening and not reconstruciton. For some reason, due to media coverage or something, people lumped it in with DLSS which I never understood.
RIS was/is presented as a way to enhance traditional upscaling. In games like Shadow of The Tomb Raider and Monster Hunter World, simply rendering at a lower resolution and applying RIS or Freestyle Sharpening offer a better end-result than using DLSS to reconstruct a 4K image.

DLSS is at its core an alternative to basic upscaling. It's not really difficult to see why comparisons are made IMO. But it has led to some misinformation since some believe RIS is more than a smart sharpening filter.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
X3iQPqb.png

jnLv6XW.png

oIjgDJX.png

MOw03Ff.png

yjyjDeA.png

WFeJV4c.png

PjRE0G5.png

wMzKlLO.png

wow, the evidence for how fantastic ray tracing is continues to pile up.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The brighter one. Because snow is actually really bright. And there's much more shadows in places whereas the darker one doesn't have
The one that looks actually similar to real life (lightning wise), light and shadows behaving as they should.
The one that has shadows where there should be shadows.

Ah, thanks. I already thought that was be the case and that the raytraced version is the more realistic looking one. Realistic isn't always stylistically/artistically the best though. I think the darker, less realistic version looks better, a lot actually, it has more atmosphere.
I'm referring only to that one comparison though. In others the raytraced version does look better.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, thanks. I already thought that was be the case and that the raytraced version is the more realistic looking one. Realistic isn't always stylistically/artistically the best though. I think the darker, less realistic version looks better, a lot actually, it has more atmosphere.
I'm referring only to that one comparison though. In others the raytraced version does look better.
Realism is indeed always better. Just like in real life, if they want to achieve a specific effect they can light things differently. It's not like movies use fake lights, but they light things stylistically all the same.

Nothing about light behaving like light prevents you from doing what you want with the environment, it only prevents it from looking fake as fuck when you do it.

In this specific case if for some reason you think it looks better 'darker', they can just turn down the lights. It's still not a condemnation of RTX.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if Metro has been updated to use the newer DLSS from Control and Youngblood that actually looks good and not the DLSS it had on launch? Looking to get back into it but without DLSS the fps hit for RTX is a bummer, and the DLSS it had was a blurry mess on launch.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone know if Metro has been updated to use the newer DLSS from Control and Youngblood that actually looks good and not the DLSS it had on launch? Looking to get back into it but without DLSS the fps hit for RTX is a bummer, and the DLSS it had was a blurry mess on launch.

Yeah it's better than it was at launch, I was happy playing at 1080p with maxed RT and DLSS on my 2070 Super.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who said anything about that? I was not generally condemning use of RTX, lol.
There's no situation where light behaving like it's not light is superior. You can complain about the art direction or whatever, but preferring the fake picture over the real really just means you take issue with the direction, not the tech. That's my point.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
There's no situation where light behaving like it's not light is superior. You can complain about the art direction or whatever, but preferring the fake picture over the real really just means you take issue with the direction, not the tech. That's my point.

Sometimes they can't enable full/enough raytracing so it can end up looking like a different kind of fake lighting. It doesn't always look real vs fake. They might even be able to get closer to real with good faked lighting with current performance in certain scenes.

"Full" raytracing is only on what, Quake II and Minecraft? There are scenarios in Metro that actually look worse, maybe even more fake, I assume because of performance limitations requiring scaled back implementations, like more limited bounces etc resulting in too high a contrast and crushed blacks. On the whole though, Metro's faked lighting isn't great.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes they can't enable full/enough raytracing so it can end up looking like a different kind of fake lighting. It doesn't always look real vs fake. They might even be able to get closer to real with good faked lighting with current performance in certain scenes.

"Full" raytracing is only on what, Quake II and Minecraft? There are scenarios in Metro that actually look worse, maybe even more fake, I assume because of performance limitations requiring scaled back implementations, like more limited bounces etc resulting in too high a contrast and crushed blacks. On the whole though, Metro's faked lighting isn't great.
I'm not seeing how those shots "look more fake". hard to look faker than "complete absence of shadow"

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people are being so obtuse sr about that rt on/off shot of her face in Control, that example of the blown out lighting on a face can be found in damn near every game, going from Uncharted, tlou, Quantum Break, Ryse, God of War etc etc I've seen that exact shot a million times while trying to capture stuff in game. Honestly it's a perfect example I can relate to because damn near any game we've seen where it's got great lighting otherwise, the limitations are always widely apparent.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Which one of these is the raytraced version? The version were the snow is much darker and shows more detail looks infinitely better.

Haha, this is why it's sometimes difficult to sell RT, people are informed and they pick the difference but in most of those comparison pics, i could totally see people outside of that group even thinking the darker version with fake shadows looks better. IN the indoor cabin shot, the RT version has nice indirect light, ok, but i'm pretty sure lots of people would think the darker version is more "realistic" even if it's not.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's better, but not on the same level as Wolfenstein young blood imo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, this is why it's sometimes difficult to sell RT, people are informed and they pick the difference but in most of those comparison pics, i could totally see people outside of that group even thinking the darker version with fake shadows looks better. IN the indoor cabin shot, the RT version has nice indirect light, ok, but i'm pretty sure lots of people would think the darker version is more "realistic" even if it's not.
I found that a lot of people pick images with less contrast because they can see everything. If it's too dark and they can't see, instant "looks fake"/"I dont like it"

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I found that a lot of people pick images with less contrast because they can see everything. If it's too dark and they can't see, instant "looks fake"/"I dont like it"

Maybe ? I was more under the feeling that we've been used to the idea that big shadows everywhere are kinda realistic and gritty, would be interesting to test a panel and ask them what's the best light :p
But my point is it's more subjective and less obvious night and day than people here think

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Here you go. Soooo good.
It's more amazing if you witnessed where they started from, it was such a mess.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X3iQPqb.png

jnLv6XW.png

oIjgDJX.png

MOw03Ff.png

yjyjDeA.png

WFeJV4c.png

PjRE0G5.png

wMzKlLO.png

that's disgustingly beautiful.

Non-traced looks like gouraud shading in comparison.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How did we live without ray tracing? No game should look that flat.
Because RT isn't an essential visual feature to experience a video game. Many people can't even tell the difference or know what's better when you show them RT on/off comparison images. I work with graphics every day so when I see these comparison images I know what to look for and I go "ahh that's cool, I can see shadows falling in a physically accurate way in a game rendered in real time". But so what? General public doesn't care if some shadow under a sofa is physically accurate. You need flickering gif images to point out the difference, and even then some can't tell which is the better version.

And that's how we lived without ray tracing and will continue to do so just fine until it becomes cheap and mainstream.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Because RT isn't an essential visual feature to experience a video game. Many people can't even tell the difference or know what's better when you show them RT on/off comparison images. I work with graphics every day so when I see these comparison images I know what to look for and I go "ahh that's cool, I can see shadows falling in a physically accurate way in a game rendered in real time". But so what? General public doesn't care if some shadow under a sofa is physically accurate. You need flickering gif images to point out the difference, and even then some can't tell which is the better version.

And that's how we lived without ray tracing and will continue to do so just fine until it becomes cheap and mainstream.
TBF, Dennis8K is a card carrying graphics whore. He even upgraded his username from 4K to 8K.