• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
People believing obvious placeholder specs. This thread is really in need of new info 🤣

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone think that PC gaming is ridiculously overpriced ?
1200$ plus for a FUCKING 2080TI
800$ plus for a FUCKING 2080 SUPER
I hope to God 30XX series brings back sane prices
For 499$ or even fuck 399$ you can have a PS5 or XSX
I spent 1.7K tax included on a rig that is on par or suppasses at least the PS5
Returned everything to micro center within 2 weeks it's not worth the price

for the vast majority, overpriced for sure. Gaming is a bit of fun, like mat said, these are toys. having 144hz 4k $5k toy wont make your life any better than a $500 toy, because they are fuxking toys at the end if the day.

Spending an extra $5k for a car with better safety features, or putting that into an education savings plan for your newborn, or using that money to save for retirement...those are life changing uses of $5k.

now, if you are a pro gamer or millionaire streamer, $5k is a bargain.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

CPU's aren't over priced.

SSD prices are acceptable.

GPU's are the only thing too expensive across the board but I don't get the issues that make even the low end $50-$80 cards over priced for the performance you get.

Is techpowerup a legitimate site? I thought the insiders here all claimed the ps 5 was more powerful than the XSX??
Lol no, it's a garbage site that shouldn't be used as a reference for anything.

Don't listen to this guy's exaggeration. I only use Techpowerup to read up on reviews and they are among the best in providing reviews on PC parts.

Generally speaking practically every tech site is trash when it comes rumors about PC parts let alone gaming consoles. For PC part rumors I think videocardz is the most consistent and not behind a paywall at breaking information that doesn't look like a controlled leak. For console rumors why are even looking at what is primarily a PC site?

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's decent if you're after midrange, I wouldn't call it great especially when the next consoles come out. Though there's way more reasons to buy a PC outside of power anyway.

You are comparing a PC with price and performance frozen in time to a console that is rumors and speculation. The PC world won't remain static during this time, and the console world you are comparing to doesn't exist.

There's a whole gaming spectrum on PC that isn't expensive to pursue. Subtract out the annual subscriptions for consoles, adjust for cheaper Steam game sales and it's very cost effective.

Yeah once GPU die sizes became mammoth and AMD fell off at the high end things did become more expensive.

I cannot believe people are giving serious responses to a post claiming to have built an entire PC only to tear it back down and return all the parts. That sounds like platform warring and trolling at its finest. If it was anti-PS4 or Switch it would have already drawn a ban.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
You should really take advantage of Microcenter return policy, all the employees tell me to get the 2 year and just return the GPU before then to upgrade. Nvidia gets their money and MC gets money from the warranty + GPU reselling after they test it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Please explain what was so obvious about those specs?

Someone already pointed that out to you. They copy/paste specs from existing or rumoured PC GPUs. The PS5 spec page is the 5700 Navi card and the Series X page is based on their Navi 5900X page (a card that doesn't officially exist atm + some alterations made based on the Github leak rumours). The site clearly does not know what the actual specifications for either console are.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

PC gaming isn't only about power. If you only built the rig in order to have a more powerful system than next gen consoles then you were never going to find a way to justify the price or be satisfied with it. Now I'm not about to tell you that it's not overpriced because it is, especially on the GPU front, but PC gaming has a lot of advantages that don't have anything to do with power.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should really take advantage of Microcenter return policy, all the employees tell me to get the 2 year and just return the GPU before then to upgrade. Nvidia gets their money and MC gets money from the warranty + GPU reselling after they test it.
But there gpu return policy is 14 days not 2 years ?
2 year protection plan ?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
This is highly aggressive and unnecessary given that these are clearly labeled as placeholder and the site is just trying to prepare for new products

Be better

Accept my apologies and let me rephrase.

The garbage placeholder specs given by this site that's the paragon of virtue should not be referenced by anyone.

Imo if a site doesn't have real specs to list then they shouldn't post them. Stick to the general info that has been provided by the manufacturer and update your page when more info comes out. Posting speculation as a placeholder serves no purpose whatsoever and causes confusion for the customer.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

The garbage placeholder specs given by this site that's the paragon of virtue should not be referenced by anyone.

Imo if a site doesn't have real specs to list then they shouldn't post them. Stick to the general info that has been provided by the manufacturer and update your page when more info comes out. Posting speculation as a placeholder serves no purpose whatsoever and causes confusion for the customer.

How does it cause confusion for the customer when its going to be clarified by the final specs anyway?
Other sites have run with rumors and leaks and placeholders for ages now. No reason to lash out at these guys alone.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
I see the discussion has gotten dumb(er). :)

The Gamepass is not meant to convert people with PS4 libraries to Xbox, because that is a bit of a fool's errand. Like someone is going to convince a Gran Tourismo fan that Horizon is an exact replacment. It's not, and that's a good thing. It is there to make it as easy as possible to get into Xbox when you decide to give it a shot. And once you are there they would love it if you stayed for the exclusives so they can continue more games. Money is probably good too.
You won't jump from Gran Turismo for Horizon, but you might for the mainline Motorsport series.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes if you get that protection plan for 2 years your good. That's how I've been upgrading for real cheap
Hmm so let's say if I pay for a 750$ 2080 super
In about a year or two I can get a 4080 super for like 50$ ? Just pay the difference ?
Smort
I opted to just return my whole rig of 1700$ before the new years
Maybe I'll wait for DDR5 and amd5 mobos
Meh

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so let's say if I pay for a 750$ 2080 super
In about a year or two I can get a 4080 super for like 50$ ? Just pay the difference ?
Smort
I opted to just return my whole rig of 1700$ before the new years
Maybe I'll wait for DDR5 and amd5 mobos
Meh
I think due to the price on GPUs it ends up at $90 for the plan, but also being able to upgrade every gen for $90 is pretty nice. I really would never have known until the employees kept telling me to do it lol

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling over a series of posts
I think due to the price on GPUs it ends up at $90 for the plan, but also being able to upgrade every gen for $90 is pretty nice. I really would never have known until the employees kept telling me to do it lol
Geez 90$ on top of the 750+ tax
Sigh.... Gotta pay to play or at least keep up with the Jones
God damn PC gaming 🤪🤑
Might just get a XSX if it's 499$ and just call it quits for the rest of next gen

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
How does it cause confusion for the customer when its going to be clarified by the final specs anyway?
Other sites have run with rumors and leaks and placeholders for ages now. No reason to lash out at these guys alone.

It's caused enough confusion on forums like this and some are starting to build narratives based on their guesses

I know they note it's a placeholder, they don't do enough to specify that most of the info they posted is pure speculation. It's no reason to yank specs from their rear and post them in a place where people would go to try and get legit info. If they're a reputable site then they should know better imo, and that applies to any other site that does the same.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
I don't have a computer, I only use iPad s to browse the net. I own Xbox x . Ps pro and the switch. I could buy a great gaming computer if I wanted to. I'm not interested in playing game on cpu. I'm getting Xbox x and ps5 day one tho

I have the same sentiment.
I use a Surface Pro to browse the web and before that used a $500 Lap Top.
I only use consoles to game and am not interested in an over priced PC.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'd like to see faces of all wetting pants thinking of series X specs - which may be true, why not - when they see the price of that machine :D

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's caused enough confusion on forums like this and some are starting to build narratives based on their guesses

I know they note it's a placeholder, they don't do enough to specify that most of the info they posted is pure speculation. It's no reason to yank specs from their rear and post them in a place where people would go to try and get legit info. If they're a reputable site then they should know better imo, and that applies to any other site that does the same.
How is that any different than some insider or other website making an article that says something is a rumor. People being stupid won't be stopped.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
How is that any different than some insider or other website making an article that says something is a rumor. People being stupid won't be stopped.

I'd say there's a difference between a reputable site posting tales from their ass with a small disclaimer saying the specs are subject to change and people chatting on a forum.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say there's a difference between a reputable site posting tales from their ass with a small disclaimer saying the specs are subject to change and people chatting on a forum.
How many reputable websites run with rumors though? Like... All of them. I fail to see the problem with running with a rumor if it's later clarified to be true. Also... Let's not say shit like tales from their ass when another website can run with a rumor and it could "seem" legit but be from their ass either. So it seems that you want all reputable websites to report on nothing but facts? Good luck.

Also, let's not forget how websites run with info from forums...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
How many reputable websites run with rumors though? Like... All of them. I fail to see the problem with running with a rumor if it's later clarified to be true. Also... Let's not say shit like tales from their ass when another website can run with a rumor and it could "seem" legit but be from their ass either. So it seems that you want all reputable websites to report on nothing but facts? Good luck.

Also, let's not forget how websites run with info from forums...

If they were more explicit about the info being mostly speculation then I would have no problem with that. A small general disclaimer doesn't seem enough when this much speculation is being posted.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.techpowerup.com

AMD Playstation 5 GPU Specs

AMD Oberon, 2233 MHz, 2304 Cores, 144 TMUs, 64 ROPs, 16384 MB GDDR6, 1750 MHz, 256 bit

www.techpowerup.com

AMD Xbox Series X GPU Specs

AMD Scarlett, 1825 MHz, 3328 Cores, 208 TMUs, 64 ROPs, 10240 MB GDDR6, 1750 MHz, 320 bit
This just dropped from techpowerup

8GB memory vs 12GB memory ? Wtf ?!!!

Oh shit techno nerds it's ON like DoNKey KONG

PS5 GPU VS XBoX GPU series Sex showdown

Set it 499-599$ Xbox series sex 2020 11-22-2020 HYPE

People be like
Oh man, this can't be real!
Oh man, thank god it's not real!

I'm like

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it was just because we were talking about 7850hd and ps4. Same thing. 200$ and ps4 400$.

Same scheme for Ps5 i think. But ok with RT in count.

I read that the 7850 released at a MSRP of 250 and I assumed it was around 200 because it came out over a year before the PS4 did. The 5700 XT is 400 and that hasn't changed since it released last summer. I can't imagine it dropping that much in 11 months, maybe 100 at most but even that seems unlikely because AMD seems like they're main concern is margins instead of undercutting Nvidia going by the 5500 XT pricing and the rumored price of the 5600 XT(which is 300).

Hopefully I'm wrong though. I honestly wanted to pick up a new GPU around Spring, it's been hard holding onto the 1050 TI. I only got that because I didn't game much on PC and only used my PS4. Now that I'm not planning on getting a next gen console I don't want to settle for something like a 1660 Super and possibly be miles behind next gen consoles.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I read that the 7850 released at a MSRP of 250 and I assumed it was around 200 because it came out over a year before the PS4 did. The 5700 XT is 400 and that hasn't changed since it released last summer. I can't imagine it dropping that much in 11 months, maybe 100 at most but even that seems unlikely because AMD seems like they're main concern is margins instead of undercutting Nvidia going by the 5500 XT pricing and the rumored price of the 5600 XT(which is 300).

Hopefully I'm wrong though. I honestly wanted to pick up a new GPU around Spring, it's been hard holding onto the 1050 TI. I only got that because I didn't game much on PC and only used my PS4. Now that I'm not planning on getting a next gen console I don't want to settle for something like a 1660 Super and possibly be miles behind next gen consoles.

I'm in the same case. I have a R9 280X which is similar to the 1050Ti.
I'm still playing on it and on PS4. Not sure to get the Ps5 day one. Maybe a year or two later. Maybe a PS5 Pro.

But if so I need to change the GPU because I can't play on 144Hz. Only PUBG lite or CSGO is doable.

I'm waiting something equivalent to the Vega 56 maximum 180$

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I completely agree, techpowerup shouldnt list them and also if it's clearly labelled or know to be placeholder they shouldnt have been posted here.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Day 1 someone "coming from PS4" will want a box that plays and improves all of the PS4 games they own- which is not the Xbox Series X.

There's also the issue of any games racked up for free through PS+, or available instantly through PSNow that they'd also lose access to.

Gamepass isn't convincing anyone that's already in the Sony ecosystem to buy a new console. Anyone that's REALLY itching to see what MS exclusives are about can play them just as easily on PC without buying an Xbox.

The fact that you ignore the millions of people who have Macs (Me) and the increasingly popular 2 in 1s, Ultrabooks that aren't able to play games at all etc shows a lot about you. People who have consoles most likely won't have a Gaming PC, that's the reality that you continue to ignore.

Having your ecosystem locked to a specific device is guaranteed failure especially if you're competitor increasingly becomes established in the Cloud and PC space and the market shifts.

TBH Sony IS going to sacrifice Console sales for Cloud gaming and will forced to release their games day 1 onto PSnow alongside Cloud Gaming, especially since 5G is now live in cities around countries.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Geez 90$ on top of the 750+ tax
Sigh.... Gotta pay to play or at least keep up with the Jones
God damn PC gaming 🤪🤑
Might just get a XSX if it's 499$ and just call it quits for the rest of next gen

The rig you paid $1700 for to match next gen is a full year before these new consoles launch. If you're going to build a new PC the smart play is to wait until late this year at least when next gen Nvidia cards are out. That will drop the prices of the 20XX series. Also the tippy top end graphics cards are only for people with outrageous cash reserves.

I have a 1060 at the moment, and I'm planning on riding it until 2021 and getting a new rig with a 3070 or something without breaking the bank. I won't need any new peripherals, I won't need to pay yearly online subscription, and I can play my hundreds of old games no problem. Hopefully Epic keeps handing out free games so my backlog keeps on growing.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The rig you paid $1700 for to match next gen is a full year before these new consoles launch. If you're going to build a new PC the smart play is to wait until late this year at least when next gen Nvidia cards are out. That will drop the prices of the 20XX series. Also the tippy top end graphics cards are only for people with outrageous cash reserves.

I have a 1060 at the moment, and I'm planning on riding it until 2021 and getting a new rig with a 3070 or something without breaking the bank. I won't need any new peripherals, I won't need to pay yearly online subscription, and I can play my hundreds of old games no problem. Hopefully Epic keeps handing out free games so my backlog keeps on growing.

We also don't know if it matched or exceeded what's coming in the console space. We have people comparing rumors and trying to do "flop conversions".. C'mon...

Last edited:

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
When are Sony going to announce the real PS5 specs?
Lets look at the PS4 for reference. The PS4 was unveiled in February 2013 with a few basic specs, full specs were revealed in May 2013 and everything else at E3 in June 2013.

Will the PS5 have a similar timeline? Maybe. But getting so worked up over this in early January is meaningless.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hypothetically speaking, if the ps5 is that much weaker it could very much back up the thoughts that it was supposed to be a 2019 console and sony were going to catch out ms a tear early again. Like with the pro.

It's the only option that makes sense to me.

also, im finally on my PC and not on my phone so the GPU specs on techpowerup are quite clearly labelled with a box (subject to change) for some reason I didn't catch that on my phone. So I see no issue in them listing this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So...it's been kinda hard to follow this thread. I understand DF made sound analysis on rumoured data that said PS5 would be around 9.2tf to SX's 12tf (which they stated multiple times it was unconfirmed so its cool). But, there's information going around on multiple places (jounalist of repute and this thread for instance) that the difference between the consoles would be minimal (2.8tf is not a minimal difference), is there any actual weight to either statement? What seems to be the general concensus regarding these "leaks"?

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
So...it's been kinda hard to follow this thread. I understand DF made sound analysis on rumoured data that said PS5 would be around 9.2tf to SX's 12tf (which they stated multiple times it was unconfirmed so its cool). But, there's information going around on multiple places (jounalist of repute and this thread for instance) that the difference between the consoles would be minimal (2.8tf is not a minimal difference), is there any actual weight to either statement? What seems to be the general concensus regarding these "leaks"?
The leak is legit, but lacks context.

Could be an older devkit, could be inaccurate compared to final hardware for any number of reasons. Could also end up accurate.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Day 1 someone "coming from PS4" will want a box that plays and improves all of the PS4 games they own- which is not the Xbox Series X.

There's also the issue of any games racked up for free through PS+, or available instantly through PSNow that they'd also lose access to.

Gamepass isn't convincing anyone that's already in the Sony ecosystem to buy a new console. Anyone that's REALLY itching to see what MS exclusives are about can play them just as easily on PC without buying an Xbox.
The vast majority of people don't own a gaming PC. They own a laptop or a 2 in 1. For many people, the most powerful gaming device they own is their console, because they need a laptop, and their choice is between a 500$ console and a 1000$+ PC.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
The vast majority of people don't own a gaming PC. They own a laptop or a 2 in 1. For many people, the most powerful gaming device they own is their console, because they need a laptop, and their choice is between a 500$ console and a 1000$+ PC.

Ok but Nvidia said there new GPU on laptop will be more powerful than console, thank you Nvidia ! I just need to pay 1500$ for a 2060RTX laptop !

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
You are comparing a PC with price and performance frozen in time to a console that is rumors and speculation. The PC world won't remain static during this time, and the console world you are comparing to doesn't exist.

There's a whole gaming spectrum on PC that isn't expensive to pursue. Subtract out the annual subscriptions for consoles, adjust for cheaper Steam game sales and it's very cost effective.

Yeah once GPU die sizes became mammoth and AMD fell off at the high end things did become more expensive.

I cannot believe people are giving serious responses to a post claiming to have built an entire PC only to tear it back down and return all the parts. That sounds like platform warring and trolling at its finest. If it was anti-PS4 or Switch it would have already drawn a ban.
What are you going on about? PC graphics cards are a rip off. The prices are a joke. Because Nvidia barely has competition it charges a massive premium. The 2080TI isn't a $1200 GPU. The most it should be is about $700

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

2.8 tflops..

It is absolutely a minimal difference for developers themselves. When talking about these numbers people forget relativity and focus on the number itself and thats faulty.

Plainly speaking we are talking about machines that are both many times more powerful than the current gen machines in all aspects and rumored to be largely the same in most aspects. So if the gpu deficit is 2.8 tflops the same games will play with marginal cuts to gpu related tasks like dynamic res or slight graphical cutbacks to maintain fps.

That is literally the case right now with pro and x.

There is more gpu difference between pro and x than ps4 base has in gpu power altogether but they clearly have similar graphics or the same graphics at cuts to res