• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
No, I remember pre-release power speculation quite well. "The most powerful console never wins" "power doesn't matter" "the differences will be negligible". Like, we're literally back to "I sit so and so feet away from my tv, so it doesn't matter" levels of discourse here.

What would you expect xb1 fans to say? If they want to say that thats fine. I certainly didnt care at the time. People buy consoles for all sorts of reasons. All i knew was that i was done giving ms chances at the time of the reveal in regards to lack of focus on things i liked and other things. None of them to do with power

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What really adds credence to this rumour, that is having so many people excited enough to position PS5 like $399 is the plan for Sony? Mark Cerny said that PS5's price "will be appealing in light of its advanced feature set". 2 take aways from that:

1) He wouldn't have to add context to its appeal, if it's going to be $399.
2) Context implies that it will be priced above $399 because of its advanced hardware.

If it was going to be $399, he would have said its price will be "surprising" in light of its advanced feature set.

Uhhhh you remember there is more to machine than gpu right...its still super advanced featureset wise at 399

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will undoubtedly sell more consoles but this strategy gives MS the potential to be much more competitive. If MS can ship appealing games I can see this strategy working out for them.
If PS5 is 499 or more and Lockhart can get a competitive price, I bet Lockhart will be the best selling console of the generation.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
What would you expect xb1 fans to say? If they want to say that thats fine. I certainly didnt care at the time. People buy consoles for all sorts of reasons. All i knew was that i was done giving ms chances at the time of the reveal in regards to lack of focus on things i liked and other things. None of them to do with power
I know. I chose the base ps4 over the base xb1 because it was stronger and games looked/performed better on it. I'll make a choice for the same reasons next year.

I just found it amusing that we see the same talking points every 7 years. In reality, any power difference matters and the graphical differences resulting from a power difference will be noticeable. Launch game Digital Foundry threads will be massive on this site.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh you remember there is more to machine than gpu right...its still super advanced featureset wise at 399
That still doesn't get around why there was a need to add context to the natural appeal of a brand new $399 PlayStation console. We know the hardware is going to be advanced, so why would he need to clarify that in the slightest? There is none, and I don't take Cerny as the kind of person to say something without cause. I'm not even reading into the quote that much, it just seems obvious.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Not sure why people are saying this. They will have a reasonably priced machine with pretty good specs and probably good BC. Why are Sony fans angry?

TBH reading the last few pages... we really have quite hardcore trolls coming out of the woodwork now. Time for a break.
I thought the meme was fairly obvious. Guess not

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I know. I chose the base ps4 over the base xb1 because it was stronger and games looked/performed better on it. I'll make a choice for the same reasons next year.

I just found it amusing that we see the same talking points every 7 years. In reality, any power difference matters and the graphical differences resulting from a power difference will be noticeable. Launch game Digital Foundry threads will be massive on this site.

In the same way pro vs x comparisons were popular sure. But i never really cared about it so much as going with what i thought was an ecosystem that prioritized what i like best.

Power discussion will fuel company wars forever but it doesnt stop being annoying.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If the PS5 is indeed weaker, that's far less of a reason for me to purchase it, unless of course it's significantly cheaper than the nextbox.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
In the same way pro vs x comparisons were popular sure. But i never really cared about it so much as going with what i thought was an ecosystem that prioritized what i like best.

Power discussion will fuel company wars forever but it doesnt stop being annoying.
Yeah, I'm not criticizing anyone for choosing one system over the other.

I just saw a post itt talking about how they don't care about the power difference because they don't play games with a magnifying glass. I thought that post was funny, and it reminded me of things people were saying back in early 2013.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
In reality, any power difference matters and the graphical differences resulting from a power difference will be noticeable

I mean they will be because unlike the "olden days" where consoles had vastly different architecture, nowadays they are the same box for the most part. There is no surprise on what a dev can do on one platform vs the other.

XB1X games perform better than a Pro because every aspect of the hardware is stronger, no Blast Cell Processing tricks to be used to overcome that

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Now is a really good time to remind ourselves how PS4 Pro was supposed to tank in terms of sales according to many gaming forum members because PS4 Pro was fake 4K (and of course as importantly, it lacked the truly crucial 4K Blu-ray playback functionality).
Yeah, it turns out fake 4K can actually look pretty great.

The 4K Bluray thing was always interesting as a console war argument. Sony clearly has data that indicated the 4K disc market is tiny and not going to affect sales. I honestly don't know why they would even bother with it on the PS5. Discs are only going to become more and more irrelevant in the coming years.

I dont see Ps5 releasing at 399 neither, even being weaker.
With this latest leak, $399 is starting to seem a lot more believable. Having 36 CUs on their chip makes it a lot easier to manufacturer.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the PS5 is indeed weaker, that's far less of a reason for me to purchase it, unless of course it's significantly cheaper than the nextbox.

And that is why Lockheart will exist. It will probably be significantly cheaper then Ps5.

MS will has a great strategy going into next gen. They have a smart team.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

This is basically all of us who buy this stuff. I prefer Xbox and yet i have to to get PlayStation too. Where else can i play God of War? Liking visuals doesn't negate that point.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be surprised if either console is launched at the PS4's launch price,

I don't think this difference in GPU is big enough to make the experience feel vastly different, but MS could have an interesting strategy, with the Series X costing a lot more than the PS5 but the "Series S" costing a lot less.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I mean they will be because unlike the "olden days" where consoles had vastly different architecture, nowadays they are the same box for the most part. There is no surprise on what a dev can do on one platform vs the other.

XB1X games perform better than a Pro because every aspect of the hardware is stronger, no Blast Cell Processing tricks to be used to overcome that
In theory, yes, but in practice? It only happens some of the time. As an owner of the X and the Pro I've seen plenty of instances just this year where games were exactly the same on both, or extremely similar.

Just this fall we had Modern Warfare, and it ran at a slightly higher resolution on the X, but that came with frame rate drops and screen tearing not present on the Pro. Also, Jedi: Fallen Order had a slightly higher resolution on the X. Just a month before that GRID showed up and had a higher resolution on the X, but again at the cost of frame rate/screen tearing. Also this year we had Crash Team Racing and Ace Combat 7, both of which were literally identical on the two platforms. There are lots of examples like this where that extra 2 tflops on the X didn't really amount to much.

This is why I said on the first page of this thread that no one should be expecting to see a PS4 vs XB1 launch situation in terms of graphical differences. There will be some, but I don't think they will be as stark as you saw at the beginning of this gen.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Guys

I'm embarrassed to admit this but what is lockheart ? From what I gather there are 2 "next gen" systems from MS next fall. How can it be next gen and an improvement from current gen if it's less powerful than the x ? And marginally improved from the S ? I'm trying to understand the point if everything going forward is back/forward compatible?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, it turns out fake 4K can actually look pretty great.

The 4K Bluray thing was always interesting as a console war argument. Sony clearly has data that indicated the 4K disc market is tiny and not going to affect sales. I honestly don't know why they would even bother with it on the PS5. Discs are only going to become more and more irrelevant in the coming years.

Because taking away options like that isnt wise, especially with BC in mind and people with tons of PS4 discs

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Guys

I'm embarrassed to admit this but what is lockheart ? From what I gather there are 2 "next gen" systems from MS next fall. How can it be next gen and an improvement from current gen if it's less powerful than the x ? And marginally improved from the S ? I'm trying to understand the point if everything going forward is back/forward compatible?
like Xbox One / Xbox One X, but at launch. CPU and SSD are what really matter.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Because taking away options like that isnt wise, especially with BC in mind and people with tons of PS4 discs
I think you're misunderstanding. I'm talking about licensing a 4K Bluray movie function for the console. Like Sony chose not to do for the PS4 Pro.

The PS5 will most definitely play PS4 discs.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
What really adds credence to this rumour, that is having so many people excited enough to position PS5 like $399 is the plan for Sony? Mark Cerny said that PS5's price "will be appealing in light of its advanced feature set". 2 take aways from that:

1) He wouldn't have to add context to its appeal, if it's going to be $399.
2) Context implies that it will be priced above $399 because of its advanced hardware.

If it was going to be $399, he would have said its price will be "surprising" in light of its advanced feature set.

Couple of things about that.

1, IMO the quote is a PR constructed line to give Peter and says a lot of nothing.
2, It didn't even make the original article.
3, Peter Rubin Tweeted it after a lot of people were speculating a high price.

For what its worth the full exchange between Peter Rubin and Mark Cerny:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Guys

CPU and SSD

Last edited:
May 18, 2018

1, IMO the quote is a PR constructed line to give Peter and says a lot of nothing.

thereitis.png

$499 all but confirmed

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Disparaging games journalists
It's hard to take DF seriously with all these series X is a beast videos when EG have been championing Xbox since the 360 days.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
The PS brand is so damn strong now. Making a slightly weaker console at 100$/€ less than Xbox would absolutely kill.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The original information (outdated or otherwise) has been verified by DF as having come from AMD.

Whether it represents current clock speeds (which can change last minute) or current hardware (given when it's from) we can only speculate, but it looks like this information was accurate at the time it hit github.
Why was jason from kotaku so sure that ps5 was over 10 TF then

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
I do all my PC gaming in my living room with an Xbox Elite controller. You have to go back a decade at this point to find any major PC games that don't have official controller support.
So I can turn a PC on, access my game library and select what I wish to play without the need for a keyboard and mouse?

If you can do that now it's changed a lot since I last tried.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
All this talk about PS5 vs XsX. What I'm really interested is the 2023 spec war between PS5 Pro and the ...wait for it.... Xbox Series 2X. Power flipped mid gen this time around. Who's not to say it can't happen again no matter who has the initial lead.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
If the leak is legit and nothing much changes with the final silicon, it seems pretty likely we''re getting XSX: 56CU @ 1.7 GHz and PS5: 36CU @ 2 GHz.

How hard would it have been for Sony to have switched to a 44 or 48 CU GPU @ 1.8 or 1.9 GHz, assuming the Oberon design we saw was from a long time ago?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017

Well isn't that interesting. I would have bet big money on $399.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
This is where you are wrong. Lockhart and the Series X aren't 'two wildly different SKUs' and I don't know where you are getting this idea.
To date the main difference to them is GPU power and storage from what we know.The only thing more GPU power can improve are resolution and textures. That's it. The CPU in the two is practically identical and the CPU is for physics, AI, animation, particle effects, framerates.
It literally makes no sense to say that Lockhart is going to hold the series X back. You could say that if the CPU and the storage SSD was drastically inferior IN ADDITION to the GPU but that isn't the case.
It's like people have this tunnel vision thinking pretty graphics is all next gen is about and completely dismiss the CPU and SSDs. The CPU upgrade from the X to the Series X is massive. A better CPU means better framerates and better animations and better physics.
Sorry but 4TF vs 12TF is absolutely massive. I can't agree with you there. Time will tell if this is in fact the reality, we will see how the games turn out, obviously everything at this point is conjecture but logic tells me developers will target lowest common denominator. Especially if Ray Tracing is standard on XSX. Don't know how they will get around that outside of using two different lighting models, which just adds to development time.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Sorry but 4TF vs 12TF is absolutely massive. I can't agree with you there. Time will tell if this is in fact the reality, we will see how the games turn out, obviously everything at this point is conjecture but logic tells me developers will target lowest common denominator. Especially if Ray Tracing is standard on XSX. Don't know how they will get around that outside of using two different lighting models, which just adds to development time.

Third Party Devs almost always target lowest common denominator. It'll be the first party devs that will make the systems outshine each other.