• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DF seems to be headed down a dark path with this nonsense. How are they any better than all the other clickbait sites when they're peddling the same exact shit? They could have just waited for Sony to reveal the PS5 specs which is very soon and go from there. This smells of desperation.

Because they have legit insight into hardware and graphics tech and a likely vast array of insider sources of info? I mean, I dont think CleanPrinceGaming would get a thread with 13 pages on next gen spec rumors. If anybody outside of Sony/MS/AMD is qualified to speculate and comment on rumors, its DF

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yep the guys do excellent work. The sad thing is the same people criticising DF are the same people who were praising them during the resolution years when every PS game ran at a higher resolution than Xbox. Funny how perspectives change when rumors favour the other platform of their choice.
And the same ones before that complained that they were 360 biased.
I think the reality is that people simply want there own views and opinions to be reinforced, rather than to try and learn anything new or have the way they think challenged.

It's not just videogames, it's the age of Internet idiocy in which we all exist.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DF seems to be headed down a dark path with this nonsense. How are they any better than all the other clickbait sites when they're peddling the same exact shit? They could have just waited for Sony to reveal the PS5 specs which is very soon and go from there. This smells of desperation.
Desperation for what? Boosting Microsoft's share price? Their declining readership (more popular than ever)

what are they desperate for?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
User warned: console war rhetoric
Yep the guys do excellent work. The sad thing is the same people criticising DF are the same people who were praising them during the resolution years when every PS game ran at a higher resolution than Xbox. Funny how perspectives change when rumors favour the other platform of their choice.

This bollocks again. 'The same people back then bla bla bla'. Do you have any quotes to back this up, or just making this up? And when Series X in fact turns out to be faster, people will post that 'the same people caring now about performance didn't care about it when PS4 and Xbox launched'. These posts are so tiresome and add nothing to the conversation besides annoying "told you so" statements.

And why would anybody praise a media outlet for showing facts like higher resolutions anyway? It's not like DF is responsible for higher resolutions.

What amazes me is the confidence in some posts here: 'Xbox will lose regardless' 'They won't have the exclusives that matters' 'Their exclusives won't interest me'. How do you even know?

Not sure what's so strange about this "confidence"? Xbox never "won" a generation, even with a cheaper model and a year headstart. Sony's first party studio's (did you forget they also acquired Insomniac?) are stronger and more popular than ever and they have a much larger install base and a brand new console coming up that plays all PS4 software. I personally hope they both sell good and will push each other to great heights, but you are delusional if you think Xbox stands a chance sales-wise.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
lmao, it will be a bigger difference. if you didnt know, the power difference between ps4 and xbox one was about 0.4 tflops. while the ps4 had better RAM, it didnt make much difference. With an extra 3TF the gap will be even bigger than the PS4 PRO and Xbox one X. instead of just simple Resoloution boosts, games on the series X could have better graphical options.

I'm just going to assume all the people trying to point to the actual tf difference instead of the % tf difference are kids that failed maths.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
lmao, it will be a bigger difference. if you didnt know, the power difference between ps4 and xbox one was about 0.4 tflops. while the ps4 had better RAM, it didnt make much difference. With an extra 3TF the gap will be even bigger than the PS4 PRO and Xbox one X. instead of just simple Resoloution boosts, games on the series X could have better graphical options.
It's much more complicated than just numbers. There is such a thing as diminishing returns, and the higher you push things the less noticeable the differences become. 1080p vs 720p was easily noticed by most people. 4K vs 1800p? Not so much. It's the same thing with higher graphical settings. Have you ever watched a Digital Foundry video where they show the difference between high and extreme settings on a game? Often times these differences aren't that noticeable.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Nah, if it is 9.2TF. The level of graphical fidelity will be staggering between the two. Series X got that and no arguments will be made and I can't stand Xbox.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What amazes me is the confidence in some posts here: 'Xbox will lose regardless' 'They won't have the exclusives that matters' 'Their exclusives won't interest me'. How do you even know?
i don't even get what those arguments have to do with a thread about the specs of the two consoles. it's very transparent. like if you're already convinced yourself that next gen ps5 exclusives will be good and xbox games won't ever interest you, why even be bothered by or concerned with the specs of either console?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't go that far. I've enjoyed DF since it's inception. They're simply making more content to make up for the lesser ad revenue that all big Youtube channels suffered with the ad pocolypse.

I simply pick and chose what I watch from them nowadays versus watching everything they done previously.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine opinion. What has been released on the X which has been technically more impressive than the likes of God of War/Spider-Man? Even HZD. Maybe things will change in the future but the quality of tech that Sony games tend to use has been superior to Xbox for a while. Facts.
Technically?

Gears 5 at native 4K and 60fps on the Xbox One X beats just about everything out there, they even threw in open world levels there for no reason just to show off.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This bollocks again. 'The same people back then bla bla bla'. Do you have any quotes to back this up, or just making this up? And when Series in fact turns out to be faster, people will post that 'the same people caring now about performance didn't care about it when PS4 and Xbox launched'. These posts are so tiresome.

And why would anybody praise a media outlet for showing facts like higher resolutions anyway? It's not like DF is responsible for higher resolutions.
What?

Why wouldn't people praise an outlet doing good work in their field of choice?

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
DF create videos to make money. The guys have to be paid for their analysis. The more videos, the more revenue.

It's a shame they've become a bit spammy in the past year (Directs and Let's Plays) but I get the hussle especially after the ad pocolypse.
That is super disrespectful and you should realize they post on this forum. The work they do is excellent.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Series X is the very expensive premium console then shouldn't we compare PS5 to Microsoft entry level/mass market console and not the Series X?

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I don't know about you guys but Sony just shot themselves in the foot.
Not sure why people are saying this. They will have a reasonably priced machine with pretty good specs and probably good BC. Why are Sony fans angry?

TBH reading the last few pages... we really have quite hardcore trolls coming out of the woodwork now. Time for a break.

Oct 28, 2017
DF is late. We already know from Matt that the leaked 9.2 isn't based on final ps5.
They're the victim of video production time.

I really don't think Sony would tweak pre-production hardware enough to pull another 3TF out of thin air. Bumping up the clock speed will give them a little bit but that'll cause more heat issues if they've already decided on what the rest of the machine will look like to manage thermals. I think if these spec leaks are true and everything points to them being true Sony are going to have the weaker console at launch. Which is good really as it'll mean they'll really push on other aspects of their offering. A clear winner is never great for consumers.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Genuine opinion. What has been released on the X which has been technically more impressive than the likes of God of War/Spider-Man? Even HZD. Maybe things will change in the future but the quality of tech that Sony games tend to use has been superior to Xbox for a while. Facts.

RDR2 on xbone is the best looking console game of the generation. Not sure what this dickwaving is supposed to accomplish but you do you

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
If Series X is the very expensive premium console then shouldn't we compare PS5 to Microsoft entry level/mass market console and not the Series X?
It's going to be a weird comparison period of this leak is accurate.

Chances are we'll have a 299, 399, and 499 box. Hard to really compare them objectively.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
The dumping on Digital Foundry by some is disgraceful honestly. The video very clearly provides the proper context surrounding this and states that nothing is 100% confirmed which is true of course, but it is also clearly legitimate leaked AMD information that is worthy to be discussed by sites such as that and of course on forums such as this. Burying heads in the sand for the data in that leak is simply going full fanboy mode too from the other side.

Totally agree! Some people take these discussions way too personal, bending over backwards to defend or discredit only the rumors that align with their "faction" of choice. It's worse that sports discussions. Even if the 12 vs 9.2 turns out to be accurate, is it really that important at the end? It has been proven many times that the performance advantage of the X over the 4 Pro had very little impact on the actual games. Relax it's just a piece consumer electronics.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it is basically reversed PS4 and Xbox One again?

Except before it was 720/900p vs 1080p in most cases.

1800p / CB2160p vs native 2160p is much more difficult to notice especially with all kinds of rendering tricks developers can use like dynamic resolution scaling, variable rate shading and all sorts of anti aliasing solutions.

Personally I think all Sony first party games will use an improved version of their 4k checker board solution with them using the saved computation power to produce more impressive lighting, alpha and general effects.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I really don't think Sony would tweak pre-production hardware enough to pull another 3TF out of thin air. Bumping up the clock speed will give them a little bit but that'll cause more heat issues if they've already decided on what the rest of the machine will look like to manage thermals. I think if these spec leaks are true and everything points to them being true Sony are going to have the weaker console at launch. Which is good really as it'll mean they'll really push on other aspects of their offering. A clear winner is never great for consumers.
Many think it was just a BC compact test. We shall see. Too many credible people stand by their leaks that they're both 10+ and less than 15% apart in power.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
The real tragedy is that people will run with this speculation and use it to mislead people.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Personally I think all Sony first party games will use an improved version of their 4k checker board solution with them using the saved computation power to produce more impressive lighting, alpha and general effects.

It'll be interesting as the onboard cbr hardware didn't really get used, most games (including a few 1st party titles) opted for alternative solutions.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
How would they explain for the investors that they'll lose money on each sold console?

How would they explain short-term losses to make up long-term market share? Other than Nintendo, pretty much every console gen starts as a loss on hardware. It's just a matter of how much the platform holder is willing to lose per box, and after the fuck up that was the Xbox One generation, it's not unreasonable to think Microsoft would be willing to invest on buying back some market share.

MS has to be aggressive. Sony is coming with backward compatibility this gen, so we're not going to see the type of hard reset that usually comes with a console cycle refresh. People already in the Sony ecosystem are going to have more incentive to stay put, which means MS is going to need to entice people to jump ship.

Offering a 12TF box for the same price of Sony's 9TF box would be a start.

If anything, I hope this leak forces sony's hand to leak some official technical details about PS5's computing power
I feel like the longer Sony stays quiet, the more truth there is to 9TF or at least a power gap that's not in their favor. If they were close to12TF, they'd just come out and say "wait for our reveal", and if they were 13TF+ they'd be trolling Microsoft's claims about "most power" and "we will not fall behind".

Last edited:

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
And the same ones before that complained that they were 360 biased.
I think the reality is that people simply want there own views and opinions to be reinforced, rather than to try and learn anything new or have the way they think challenged.

It's not just videogames, it's the age of Internet idiocy in which we all exist.

Unfortunately so. I guess people like to feel reassured of their decision to invest in a platform.