• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
What we have here is an old dumb of github data that has been datamined for info. It's devoid of context of any kind.

What has been confirmed?: That the PS5 has RT IN the GPU. This Oberon chip does not. Whatever this, it's not 2020 PS5.
As many have stated it's possibly Sony is not using AMD RT

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
As many have stated it's possibly Sony is not using AMD RT
And? The chip under discussion is Navi 10 (if you read the github info) which lacks RT. Chip names change when if the memory bus is changed (see Navi 12).

This is likely a 5700 clocked out the ass for early testing purposes.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It is an immense mistake to believe that an enthusiasts forum like this one is representative of a whole market.

1. Games
2. Power

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Nope,

You are speaking for your self. I am not saying that power matters to everybody. If it did nobody would buy a Switch and nobody would have bought the orignal Xbox One.

Some people are going to buy the most powerful console because they want the best performance in their games. There is a reason why the #1 topic is power and everybody wants to know is which console will be more powerful.
Yes, there are definitely people like us on enthusiast forums that care a lot about the specs of gaming hardware, but even here you see polls where people will tell you that ultimately the games are what draw people to buy a console. The PS5 will still be the most popular console worldwide, and on this forum even if it ends up being a 9tf console vs the 12tf on the Series X.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
You do realize they "independently sourced" this leak, right? That and making the video itself obviously takes some time.

And I'm sorry if I trust Digital Foundry a little more than random Era posters.
Which is why Richard says aside from clock speed the oNly way to alter a custom chip less than 2 years from launch us a delay that would cost sony millions....
And yet people are straight up denying it, DF didn't just take it as fact they went and asked their sources about it and got it confirmed. I don't think they publish this without having some faith in it or do we believe they do it just for clicks....
The files are gone. What Digital Foundry sourced was what was in the files. Like they didn't just read a summary people are talking about, they got their hands on the files after the fact. They DIDN'T say that other sources say the PS5 has 36CUs.

There are 3 reasons to question the implications of the leaked documents:

1. They are full of mistakes and inaccuracies
  • There are files in wrong folders, there are sub folders and wrong folders. Again, when people say these are legitimate, they mean that this is what is legitimately in the files, not that the files are correct or accurate all the time.
  • The biggest issue is that they claim Spakrman (Lockhart) is 56CUs. Every reason you have to believe Oberon is PS5, you have to believe that Sparkman is Lockhart. Sparkman BC mode indicates it can replicate a One S.
However confident you are that PS5 is 36 CUs, must must be equally confident that Lockhart is 56CUs. Or the other way around, how ever skeptical you are that these leaks confirm Lockhart is 56CUs, you must be equally skpeitcal these leaks confirm PS5 is 36CUs.

2. The leaks if taken at face value, fly in the face of every credible insider we have, including develeper sources and industry sources, that say the Series X and PS5 are very close in power.
  • We've had Jason Schreier News Editor of Kotaku, Matt Reiner Executive Editor at Game Informer, Our own Mods, and Vetted industry insider and veteran Klee, and other insiders all say the consoles are close in power.
  • They specifically claim PS5 and Scarlett were close in power according to those sources. And All of that is in the same time window these leaks are from, which according to DF is the point where it's too late to make changes. None of them have come out and said the the tables have turned.
So, Actual insiders who actually know about the target specs of the PS5 and Xbox Series X (rather than drawing conclusions from indirect and uncontextualized data points) with a network of sources (instead of an interns notepad) are saying something to the contrary of what the leak indicates at face value.

3. The documents, if taken at face value, don't pass the sniff test, and an alternative makes more sense

• The test were done without VRR and RT, when we know that at the very least PS5 has RT. This means that the tests we have access to are not the full PS5 in at least one way.
  • 36CUs at 2GHz, is not a reasonable way to hit 9.2TFs, if that's the target. Every bit of historical and contextual data we have for consoles points to a wide and slow approach to console APUs. Efficiencies, Thermals, Cooling Costs, and reliability have all proven to be reasons that trump a lower sized and faster APU. Why would Sony feel any different? What technology would change the equation? I'm not aware of any, so I don't expect that approach to change.
  • 36CUs would also make this the smallest APU Sony has made in a decade. In a world where Sony is dominating in terms of sales and profitability, where they've come out and aid that PS5 is going to be Niche product aimed at the hardcore who what the best and latest, where that is cooperated by their rumoured bleeding edge SSD tech, a small APU doesn't make sense.
  • Digital Foundry Stated in the article that many BC test are being done. If that's true, this could be a BC test right? Well, what would that look like. Presumably, they would want to test a Native PS4 mode, a PS4 Pro mode, and like the PS4 Pro had.... A PS4 Pro Boost mode. What would the Boost mode test look like?
  • A PS4 Pro Boost mode compatibility test would look like this: Exactly the same CUs as the PS4 Pro, An unlocked "full" clock, no RT or VRS hardware activated. What we have in the leak? 36CUs (exactly the same as the PS4 Pro), 2Ghz, the rumoured full clock of the PS5, No RT and no VRS indicated.
The leaks makes little sense as the Full PS5 hardware, indicating it's not that, and a lot of sense that it's a boost mode PS4 Pro compatibility test.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
betting the final spec will be closer to Series X and hit that $399 price point.

regardless, I'm excited as hell for both of these consoles. the conservative designs of 2013 are long gone.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
The ps3 launched at the current equivalent of $750. Sony knew it would be losing marketshare but considered it "worth it" to push Blu Ray and Cell in the market.

It outsold the 360 every year the two were on the market despite the massive gulf in price points and lower third party support.

The two systems were "tied" only because MS launched a year earlier, AND the 360 got a 20millionish mid generation bump from the Kinect, which isn't a thing they could repeat with the XBO.

The fact is that Microsoft simply does not compete in 2/3rds of the world where Sony sells systems. There's no way around that. Since we know Sony isn't launching an insanely expensive box a year late this time there is no way for Microsoft to "win" the generation by running up the score in the US and UK. This is especially true given that vendor lock in to both ecosystems is high. No one wants to "lose" their digital catalogue or friends lists.

The generation is already decided, which is why MS's focus is on generating revenue through other means than selling console boxes.

I agree aside from the vendor lock in aspect. I think a lot of people particularly on this site overestimate how much the average layperson cares about playing old games that A) have little replay value, B) will be ported natively you the new platforms if they matter enough and C) release every single year like clockwork and are replaced as such.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really following this leak battle of which console will be the most powerful when they launch in 2020, but I remember the talk being before that the PS5 was the more powerful of the two. Now it's the Series X? Wonder what it will be in a few weeks. ;)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
My history starts with the ZX Spectrum so I'll not look to thank Nintendo or SONY more so as I'm a SEGA man LOL. SONY ace is their in-House studios and their name. VR is niche (I love it mind) and PS Now isn't a patch on Gamepass for value or game line up. And for the life of me, I can't see Microsoft giving SONY another $100 price advantage.

P
Oh hey old man! I'm a Commodore man ;)

I'm just thinking that Sony won't sit for a full year getting ready to take the L, I think they'll do something clever as usual.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Having the PS5 in the middle of the 2 Xboxes positions the PS5 as the more valuable option hardware wise. It's a good plan.
It depends on what you're looking for. There will definitely be people looking for a good balance between power and price, people willing to pay an extra for higher power and even people willing to buy a FullHD only console if it means having it for the cheap with the newest games. But I don't know which is going to end up as a good plan: sales and popularity/word of mouth will tell us. And yeah, obviously the next consoles won't be an hardware affair only. Services, games, subscriptions and so on.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mental gymnastics here are hilarious!

I love these sorts of threads. It's going to be a long wait for the specs to be confirmed to see who will fall on the wrong side of the facts.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I am actually ok with the leaked specs if these conditions are met:
  • It's cheaper then the XSX
  • Still has some Raytracing support
  • implements the fast SSD tech
The gap in visuals even with those specs is going to be small since Sony can still implement checkerboard rendering to compensate for the weaker GPU. They can also choose 1800p verses 4k, and in that case, the games are going to look very similar between them. The shitty thing is that the rumored weak xbox is going to be the problem IMO. it's going to be the limiting factor.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
The files are gone. What Digital Foundry sourced was what was in the files. Like they didn't just read a summary people are talking about, they got their hands on the files after the fact. They DIDN'T say that other sources say the PS5 has 36CUs.

There are 3 reasons to question the implications of the leaked documents:

1. They are full of mistakes and inaccuracies
  • There are files in wrong folders, there are sub folders and wrong folders. Again, when people say these are legitimate, they mean that this is what is legitimately in the files, not that the files are correct or accurate all the time.
  • The biggest issue is that they claim Spakrman (Lockhart) is 56CUs. Every reason you have to believe Oberon is PS5, you have to believe that Sparkman is Lockhart. Sparkman BC mode indicates it can replicate a One S.
However confident you are that PS5 is 36 CUs, must must be equally confident that Lockhart is 56CUs. Or the other way around, how ever skeptical you are that these leaks confirm Lockhart is 56CUs, you must be equally skpeitcal these leaks confirm PS5 is 36CUs.

2. The leaks if taken at face value, fly in the face of every credible insider we have, including develeper sources and industry sources, that say the Series X and PS5 are very close in power.
  • We've had Jason Schreier News Editor of Kotaku, Matt Reiner Executive Editor at Game Informer, Our own Mods, and Vetted industry insider and veteran Klee, and other insiders all say the consoles are close in power.
  • They specifically claim PS5 and Scarlett were close in power according to those sources. And All of that is in the same time window these leaks are from, which according to DF is the point where it's too late to make changes. None of them have come out and said the the tables have turned.
So, Actual insiders who actually know about the target specs of the PS5 and Xbox Series X (rather than drawing conclusions from indirect and uncontextualized data points) with a network of sources (instead of an interns notepad) are saying something to the contrary of what the leak indicates at face value.

3. The documents, if taken at face value, don't pass the sniff test, and an alternative makes more sense

• The test were done without VRR and RT, when we know that at the very least PS5 has RT. This means that the tests we have access to are not the full PS5 in at least one way.
  • 36CUs at 2GHz, is not a reasonable way to hit 9.2TFs, if that's the target. Every bit of historical and contextual data we have for consoles points to a wide and slow approach to console APUs. Efficiencies, Thermals, Cooling Costs, and reliability have all proven to be reasons that trump a lower sized and faster APU. Why would Sony feel any different? What technology would change the equation? I'm not aware of any, so I don't expect that approach to change.
  • 36CUs would also make this the smallest APU Sony has made in a decade. In a world where Sony is dominating in terms of sales and profitability, where they've come out and aid that PS5 is going to be Niche product aimed at the hardcore who what the best and latest, where that is cooperated by their rumoured bleeding edge SSD tech, a small APU doesn't make sense.
  • Digital Foundry Stated in the article that many BC test are being done. If that's true, this could be a BC test right? Well, what would that look like. Presumably, they would want to test a Native PS4 mode, a PS4 Pro mode, and like the PS4 Pro had.... A PS4 Pro Boost mode. What would the Boost mode test look like?
  • A PS4 Pro Boost mode compatibility test would look like this: Exactly the same CUs as the PS4 Pro, An unlocked "full" clock, no RT or VRS hardware activated. What we have in the leak? 36CUs (exactly the same as the PS4 Pro), 2Ghz, the rumoured full clock of the PS5, No RT and no VRS indicated.
The leaks makes little sense as the Full PS5 hardware, indicating it's not that, and a lot of sense that it's a boost mode PS4 Pro compatibility test.
giphy.gif

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I find it weird people think ps5 will be more powerful that xbx?

sony has never had a more powerful console than ms in the high end market

Org xb > ps2
360 = ps3
Xb1X > ps4pro (first time a high end version is out)
PS4 > XB1

And XB came much later after Sony had already had the more powerful console over DC.

Aug 26, 2018
betting the final spec will be closer to Series X and hit that $399 price point.

regardless, I'm excited as hell for both of these consoles. the conservative designs of 2013 are long gone.

12TF RDNA GPU, Zen2 CPU, 1TB SSD, GDDR6 RAM, BR Player at 399$?

Thats impossible, 499$ is the minimum and they would be taking a 50-100$ loss at that price.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The shitty thing is that the rumored weak xbox is going to be the problem IMO. it's going to be the limiting factor.

Why's that? It sounds like it'll have a good CPU it'll just have a weaker GPU. It doesn't seem like the base consoles held back a super impressive and cutting-edge game like Red Dead Redemption 2. PC games have had to scale to weaker systems for a long time. Having a console that's a chunk weaker than the other 2 doesn't seem like it'll be much of a factor as long as it's not severely lacking in something like CPU.

Vasto

May 26, 2019
Yes, there are definitely people like us on enthusiast forums that care a lot about the specs of gaming hardware, but even here you see polls where people will tell you that ultimately the games are what draw people to buy a console. The PS5 will still be the most popular console worldwide, and on this forum even if it ends up being a 9tf console vs the 12tf on the Series X.

This is why I cant wait until these consoles are fully revealed.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User banned (permanent): Long and consistent history of system warring
Jesus Christ the last DF videos. They haven't any leak about the full ps5 specs and all seems defined hearing Leadbetter. Now I understood why sony stop to share informations with him. That's not professional.

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I expected a 8TF GPU with 16 gigs of RAM and would have been fine with it. Look how far we've come from 2013 and look at what was being done with that hardware. God of War, Horizon, Last of Us 2, etc. Those expectations of 12+ TF GPUs and 24 gigs of RAM had me wondering what reality people live in. Like next gen consoles were supposed to be better than 90% of high-end gaming PCs all at a price of $500 or less. Put down the pipe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They have a proven name and also proven IP and studios. That's really hard to beat not matter price or GPU power

Eh. That's what Microsoft thought with stuff like Halo after last gen. Proven IP only matters if enough people buy your console.

Sony has to win in either price OR power next gen or they're going to struggle to retain their lead - in the US, at least.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Eh. That's what Microsoft thought with stuff like Halo after last gen. Proven IP only matters if enough people buy your console.

Proven IP is about reviews score and awards and on that score SONY Kill Microsoft. I hate it myself but its a lot like the Film industry
It looks like Microsoft will have a serious power advantage now it just needs its In House studios to deliver the goods

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please forgive me for not spending a ton of time in the next-gen hardware thread.

I was more meaning the way you were querying Tom Warren and his potential sources, yeah he works for The Verge as the main Microsoft reporter but I'm sure he has contacts that go across the whole industry or would at least be in a position to get information from colleagues or other sources.

And as far as the next gen thread goes, congrats on not spending time in it, some of us are too far gone we cant get out, lol.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
That's true. I just don't think they'll stop there. But it's just a feeling I have, can't back it up.
Anyway I can't wait to hear more about these consoles!
I think Microsoft may be able to win the UK and USA again but SONY will win overall. Whatever.. it be a much closer and better fight next-gen.
I too cant wait to see more from this new consoles

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
i want the power and since this a bigger jump than ps4 pro to Xbox one x there will be a even bigger jump in what we can see

since I and many others don't play as many first party games we mostly play sony and Xbox systems for 3rd party games so if we want the best 3rd party experience there's is only one place to get that experience until ps5 pro come out

if you confuse on what I mean look at NPD and Europe charts its full mostly of 3rd party games with one or two first party.........
And people play them mostly on base ps4. Look at those same charts.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Well, that's great! Nobody is stopping you from getting an Xbox, my dude. It's going to be a great system.

To others though, power really isn't that high on the ladder of importance. Games are way higher.
Posts like these are so full of it. You only need to watch how fast this thread moves to get an idea of how important power is when it comes to consoles. No one is saying power is marquee', but its definitely a bullet point you want to be able to check off when it comes to consoles like the Ps5 or the Series X. Even the Nintendo schtick people seem to keep using doesnt really apply as Nintendo has never been about power anyway. When it comes to Sony and Microsoft, power is definitely an important factor. Definitely!

If it were really all about the games, we wouldnt be getting new hardware from either Sony or Microsoft,. You cant discount the plethora of developers under the Xbox umbrella now either, nor Stadia (regardless of how its stumbling out of the gate...) next gen wont be a repeat of this one. I guarantee it. Gonna be wild AF

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Funny. Someone brings up the 4TF Lockhart and people pounce saying the only difference between it and a 12TF Series X is going to be resolution. Now a 9TF machine is going to have noticeable differences?
This extremely amusing. I mean, Lockhart won't hold anything back because scaling and games will still look amazing but suddenly ps5 9 or so TF will be weak. Warriors are something to behold.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If DF made a vid/article every month when specs were revealed, there would be a lot of spec predictions. lol.

Maybe they posted this one because they believe it