• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 TF's won't make Microsoft exclusives any better.

The main point is that power must be put together with great games. If they can manage to get some top tier AAA exclusives then Microsoft could be a clear winner in next gen but if they keep releasing exclusives like Crackdown 3.. ReCore.. Gears 5.. etc they will never surpass Sony even with 3 extra TF's of power.

Gears 5 is as good if not better then any Sony game I've played this gen. So yes, games like Gears 5 is proof of top quality AAA equivalent on MS consoles, those extra TFs will be felt with Coalition at the helm.

Sep 25, 2018
Uhm ok? PS4 Pro came a year before the Xbox One X (and cheaper). It was made clear what it was.

Anyway, that's not the point. How would you be making a mistake again?
Next gen is going to be 4k. Instead of deciding now, decide when we know all the details of both platforms?

Edit: nvm saw your other posts. You just trolling at this point

how am I trolling which system play more 4K games out of pro and one x ??

all I want to see is what a system can do with a 4k tv

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Does this means PS5 is gonna run most games at 1440p + checkerboarding 30 fps and the XSX is gonna run most games at 4K 60fps?

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
japan did not go mobile they actually prefer the switch that can dock more than the switch lite which still have stock while the original switch have Low stock

so no if they prefer mobile only switch lite would be outselling the regular switch

plus switch is 9th gen......WiI U is 8th gen it came out a year or two earlier than ps4 but ps4 caught up and pass it

switch did the same by coming out earlier but this time it will have over 50 million lead for the ps5 to catch up to

so things are very different for Sony to start 9th gen like you said with stadia and Microsoft doing better with their PR and switch doing really well that people prefer to wait For stock on the original switch instead of getting the lite version
I actually didnt know that about the lite in japan and that does surprise me!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both games and power are important. Thankfully I still play Halo, Gears and Forza so Xbox is a no Brainer while I might just skip on the PS5 until the mid gen upgrade. And even then I'd probably skip on it for the mid gen Xbox.

This is all just assumptions ofc. But I don't see why they wouldn't.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Theoretically, if the ps5 is £400 and MS release two consoles and call the lower spec one the Xbox series S or whatever and release it for £400 could they be sly in their marketing if it's less powerful than Sony's machine?

For example say something like 'Xbox, the most powerful console platform ever. From just £399.99.'

Yes it's be referring to the series X, but technically it wouldn't be a lie.
If the PS5 is 9TF and $100 cheaper than the xsx why in the world would the Lockhart be the same price as the PS5 at 4TF?

Yes they can definitely market it that way. It's feels dirty to me but yeah I suppose they could.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If true, Sony is gonna sandwich themselves right between affordability(Lockhart)and power(XSX). I got mild doubts for that reason alone. But I'm not about to call total bs yet.

Sep 25, 2018
Well, that's great! Nobody is stopping you from getting an Xbox, my dude. It's going to be a great system.

To others though, power really isn't that high on the ladder of importance. Games are way higher.

true but as we can see with NPD and other charts most of the list is full of 3rd party games for both Xbox and Sony and I play mostly 3rd party games so I'm only looking for a system to continue my 3rd party purchase

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
Base PS4 had ~30% more TFLOPS than base Xbox One. If this rumor is true, the roles are flipped this gen, and XSX would have ~30% more TFLOPS than the PS5.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Much larger than PS4 to Xbox One from what I remember.
Given the only number being compared is compute/flops, that gap would be the smallest it's been between any two same-gen consoles(not counting handhelds) in the last 20 years.
Not that this is likely to matter to people who care about power in the first place, as we're an audience that increasingly focuses on smaller differences every generation.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to see what GPU to buy. The One X already plays the Ninja Gaidens perfectly and most true PS4 exclusives I find dull outside of bloodborne. But if the XSX is a good value I might jump on that for a year or so until a clear PC upgrade path emerges

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
If this is true then to hell with Sony's penny-pinching hardware design philosophy. I hope it bites them in the ass hard. I don't want no weak-ass PS5.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I wouldn't exactly consider PS4 Pro an extremely well engineered console.

1. It's loud as shit
2. It's ugly
3. It doesn't accomplish anything particularly well (4K or 60 FPS), tons of compromises in Pro modes.

I think the Pro is actually an abject failure from a consumer perspective, especially compared to the X. If that is the continued direction for the PS5, I'm pretty bummed.

I agree, the PS4 Pro is a disappointment. Don't get me wrong I still love it but god there're so many games running subpar-ly or even bad at times.

From Witcher 3 to Red Dead 2, it seems like the Pro is constantly getting the short end of the stick.

It doesn't do 4K well, and it doesn't do 60fps well either. I only bought one because the base PS4 can barely run games at this point.

Honestly I am getting sick of "compromised" consoles at this point (which I consider Pro to be one) and if PS5 turns out to be as compromised then I am either going full PC or wait for PS5 Pro. Hopefully the PS5 Pro won't be another PS4 Pro situation.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft really seems to come back at full force with next-gen gaming.
There's already a strong "X360 era" vibe in the air lately, and it's been amazing.
Might be why they were confident enough to reveal the hardware so early and even disclose a few more interesting details. They still have so much to reveal though.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yep if you read the charts posted and the links provided the original switch is close to sold out while switch lite have stock everywhere

people rather wait to spend on the switch that can dock

japan prefer consoles
Or they just prefer the larger screen of the regular switch, and the ability to play table top mode. It doesn't have to mean that they play docked

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
As as we know the XSX is the premium Xbox model priced at a non mainstream crowd. It's as if they had released the One X alongside the S.

I wouldn't feel cheated if the normal PS5 is not on the level of the premium MS console.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I still think it's going to be over 10 TF but at the end of the day it's going to be a strong console and I know Sony doesn't want to price themselves too high. Power is overrated to the masses.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
User warned: Thread whining; Disparaging games journalists
How fucking weird is it for DF to comment on unsubstantiated rumors like this? Are they desperate for clicks?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this too. Lots of people in here have already decided on the pricing structures and specs based on those preferences to boot!
This place is an enthusiast forum obviously so we're going to have lines drawn in the sand and people fight it out. People aren't convincing the mainstream up public with their posts here. It's more about attacking each other for liking plastic boxes.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Sony going for that $399 price point that has served them so well.

Consumers agree as well. If offers a good balance between cost and power. We will see if Microsoft's strategy of two SKUs, one higher and one lower than the PS5 does anything in comparison.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
First, I said "cost as much/more" and that includes "equal". Second, just reading off the previous page...

What's up with the random accusation?

They are dumb then. There's no way PS5 costs more than XSX. The console, if these specs end up being final, is really pushing to be between Lockhart and XSX on price.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Framerate is mostly CPU. Wich both will have a great one of now. Way more exciting and "next gen" then this TF talk.

This is not nearly as clear cut.
Current gen consoles are heavily CPU limited, which does mean that they're holding framerates back. That being said, in a balanced environment, the main limiting factor for framerates is the GPU.

Current high end PC gaming is not at all limited by CPU, in practically any case. There's very few cases where even at 1440p it's a factor. 4k is 100% GPU.
Consoles will be similiar next gen.

Next gen is looking to push a much higher level of fidelity than current gen as well, so while the new ryzen cpus would undeniable be able to pump out 60+ fps on current gen games, they will likely not be the deciding factor for what a games' frame rate is next gen, but rather, graphical fidelity itself - GPU- will be.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Haven't read through the thread but that's awful if true. I'd really hope they were similar if not the same.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
3 TF's won't make Microsoft exclusives any better.

The main point is that power must be put together with great games. If they can manage to get some top tier AAA exclusives then Microsoft could be a clear winner in next gen but if they keep releasing exclusives like Crackdown 3.. ReCore.. Gears 5.. etc they will never surpass Sony even with 3 extra TF's of power.

It definitely makes a difference to multi-console owners. Coming into this generation, I owned both consoles but ultimately purchased all multi-platform single player games on the PS4 by default because they were always the superior port. And then when the Xbox One X came out, I pivoted to purchasing all multi-platform single player games for that. And then from there, I obviously purchase each console's respect exclusive titles, and then 3rd party multiplayer games depend on where my friends are playing.

So going into next generation, and I'm sure I'm not alone, but if the Xbox One Series X is truly the stronger of the two consoles - then I'll be purchasing all single player multi-platform games for it by default.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was a pretty good video. He not only details what can be gleaned from the data he also talks about what it doesn't tell you

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well that depends on what you call close since all the rumors don't point to direction .
Which why people think PS5 will be higher TF wise.
Contrary to what many think, the PS4 was a conservative (compared to PS2 and PS3) console designed around a price point. Same with PS4 Pro. MS have clearly demonstrated that they aren't afraid of going more than $400, and they launched TWO consoles at $500 this gen.

People were surprised by recent reporting on Series X hardware, in part, because I think they were expecting MS to be targeting the same price point as Sony, myself included. A true 12 TF GPU at $400 doesn't seem feasible, and that's why people are now thinking $500 for the system. Then you have the design of it, and everything that suggests about power draw and thermals, etc.

I don't think it's feasible that Sony launch a $500 console as a single SKU next year. The PS4's sales this year have shown that while some people want more powerful 4K capable systems, it's far from preferred, at least when you're talking a substantial price premium to hit it.

I do believe the PS4 being more powerful than the Xbox One was a key part of its success, along with the difference in price and the first party games on offer, but I don't think it was their goal really. I also think it was more a situation where the Xbox One wasn't *powerful enough* compared to the 360, and people were expecting native 1080p from the new consoles. Xbox One barely met that, and so it suffered.

Sony have the success of the PS1 and PS2 to remind them that most powerful isn't the be all and end all. I don't think it was a design goal of the PS4 to be more powerful than their competition. MS gifted them that with a lot of decisions made for understandable reasons but that with retrospect stand as the wrong choices. People wanted a console aimed at the core gaming audience. The Xbox One wasn't that.

A 9.whatever TF PS5 absolutely will be more than powerful enough, and the the likely truth is, more people considering one will be comparing it to their PS4 rather than the the Series X, PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I still think it's going to be over 10 TF but at the end of the day it's going to be a strong console and I know Sony doesn't want to price themselves too high. Power is overrated to the masses.

True, but this is an enthusiast forum with a lot of Sony fans. They're gonna want something at least close to the XSX. A $400 price tag would certainly allow Sony to jump ahead of MS early on though even if the power isn't as close as people would like it to be. I can't see the XSX being any lower than $499

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
We don't even know the prices of These consoles yet so I'd believe it. Sony probably trying to keep it within a certain budget