• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I could definitely see this happening. Sony sticking to 399 would give consumers such a good variety of choices next gen. 299-349 lockhart, 399-449 PS5, and 499-549 Series X makes a ton of sense.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate DF and Richard for summing up this circus.

I never thought there was a chance the PS5 and XSX wouldn't be just about the same power-wise but here we are. This makes the next-gen wars much more interesting.

Will we see a repeat of FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE U.S DOLLARS, only this time from Phil Spencer's mouth? You gotta give it to the XSX, visually it does look like a beastly piece of hardware. I'm inclined to believe 12TF is true.

Not sure what to think about Sony, but it sure would be embarrassing if they once again produce a jet engine-sounding, temperature-melting piece of shit, only this time it will be weaker than the alternative.

Because it looks like a cross between a PC tower and a BT speaker? I'm thinking it must be function over form, so I do think it designed around the size of the thing. It is bulky.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Theoretically, if the ps5 is £400 and MS release two consoles and call the lower spec one the Xbox series S or whatever and release it for £400 could they be sly in their marketing if it's less powerful than Sony's machine?

For example say something like 'Xbox, the most powerful console platform ever. From just £399.99.'

Yes it's be referring to the series X, but technically it wouldn't be a lie.
Of course. Cars do it nonstop. Look at these awesome features in this commercial! Starting at $12 with plastic wheels, as shown $80,000!

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
User Banned (1 week): System wars, recent warning for the same behaviour
if the rumors are true. No PS5 for me.

3 TF's won't make Microsoft exclusives any better.

The main point is that power must be put together with great games. If they can manage to get some top tier AAA exclusives then Microsoft could be a clear winner in next gen but if they keep releasing exclusives like Crackdown 3.. ReCore.. Gears 5.. etc they will never surpass Sony even with 3 extra TF's of power.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Before this year, I would have guessed Sony would've gone for a ~10tf device to undercut Microsoft. However, I have a very hard time believing this as it would mean:

That every other credible insider is wrong and not just slightly misinformed: wrong on a big scale

That Mark Cerny lost his mind and decided to make an obtuse GPU, which would also fly considerably in the face of what Yoshida has been saying

That Mark Cerny flat out lied when he said PS5 would have RT.

That Sony decided to go with a chip that will be well outdated by end 2020.

That Sony learned NOTHING from the PS4 Pro Vs the XB1X.

I'm not saying MS won't have the power crown, in fact I still think this will be the case. But I think there is a less than 1% chance this is even close to being the final chip

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
There's zero chance it's under 499 imo. Not with the projected specs.

I think the real question is whether it's 499 or 599 (or maybe 549 diskless)
I wonder if they really skin it close and make a SKU that doesn't include a controller since the XBO controllers work. Make it available through their site directly only or something, where the diehards will hear about it but grandmas at retail won't be confused. And yes, this is pretty tales from my ass but Nintendo did release a portable system that didn't include a charging cable.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The main point is that power must be put together with great games. If they can manage to get some top tier AAA exclusives then Microsoft could be a clear winner in next gen but if they keep releasing exclusives like Crackdown 3.. ReCore.. Gears 5.. etc they will never surpass Sony even with 3 extra TF's of power.
what's wrong with gears 5?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because it looks like a cross between a PC tower and a BT speaker? I'm thinking it must be function over form, so I do think it designed around the size of the thing. It is bulky.
Speaking strictly about the size of the thing. It takes up like more than twice as much space as an Xbox One X, don't it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would a dev kit have backwards compatibility at all?
If this chip is part of the low speed devkit, why the devil would it be tested for backward compatibility? Devs don't need to worry whether Assassin's Creed Origins is going to work on a devkit.

Backward compatibility is a feature that needs developing? It doesn't just poof in to existence working perfectly! Dev kits - especially early prototypes - are as much for Sony as they are Ubisoft.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018

lol.

Relax dude, you own Sony stock of something?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope Sony is not making compromises to hit a 399 price. I don't mind spending 100 euros more for a very beefy console. It's a blip on a 6-7 year lifespan.

Sep 25, 2018
Brand loyalty is strong in this thread

if you want to see how to defend a console this the thread to read

I don't see the point tho,

i see things two ways either you care about your 4K tv and want the best experience

or you don't mind graphics and all those times this fans on this website down talk The switch now makes the switch do not seem as bad

i just like my cousin was disappointed when ps4 pro did not play games in 4K and did not come with 4K bluray player, I will not make same mistake twice I will get my full 4K experience and I hope Microsoft have Dolby vision

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Before this year, I would have guessed Sony would've gone for a ~10tf device to undercut Microsoft. However, I have a very hard time believing this as it would mean:

That every other credible insider is wrong and not just slightly misinformed: wrong on a big scale

That Mark Cerny lost his mind and decided to make an obtuse GPU, which would also fly considerably in the face of what Yoshida has been saying

That Mark Cerny flat out lied when he said PS5 would have RT.

That Sony decided to go with a chip that will be well outdated by end 2020.

That Sony learned NOTHING from the PS4 Pro Vs the XB1X.

I'm not saying MS won't have the power crown, in fact I still think this will be the case. But I think there is a less than 1% chance this is even close to being the final chip

Lol, what should be the lessons from the X1X? The console is still dead last in sales, was a year late and 100$ more expensive.

It's a great box, but this pervasive narrative that it turned the tables somehow keeps popping up.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Like every console generation, I'll get the system that has the games I want an the friends I play with, which will likely end up being the PS5. Power is never a relevant part of the equation for my purchasing decisions. I enjoy a lot of Sony 1st party offerings, so that's where I'll certainly be.

Sep 25, 2018
I really hope Sony is not making compromises to hit a 399 price. I don't mind spending 100 euros more for a very beefy console. It's a blip on a 6-7 year lifespan.

sony all about profit now look at ps4 and ps4 pro as an example

instead of focusing on power be just like switch owners and focus on games and not power

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019

Wait...Gears 5 is a very good game that was critically well received.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can always wait 3 years for the inevitable PS5 Pro lol

(I wonder if people realizes that $500 is too much for the general console user base)

Sep 25, 2018
Lol, what should be the lessons from the X1X? The console is still dead last in sales, was a year late and 100$ more expensive.

It's a great box, but this pervasive narrative that it turned the tables somehow keeps popping up.

despite where the console ended up it was a well built system they didn't short change us like ps4 pro

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony coming in with the more weaker and expensive hardware would not be a good a look at all.

Hopefully these really are just rumors and nothing more.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
To those downplaying the difference 2.8TF can make, how many TF are needed to correct something like dynamic resolution vs locked 4K, for example? Or screen tearing and frame pacing issues on the weaker device vs the stronger one? Or displaying something in 8K as Sony said PS5 will support? VRR? Filtering and AA? These are the differences I think some are really asking about rather than there being a version that looks like real life and the other version looking like potato quality.

We saw plenty of third party games show those kinds of issues throughout this gen on the lower-specced consoles compared to the stronger ones, so why all of the sudden does no one think that's going to happen again? We're not talking about 1st party obviously, we're talking about multiplatform titles, but gen after gen has already proven since the PS2 days that yes, developers will make use of small power differences to make multiplatform games look or perform better.

This is my only concern about a *THEORETICAL* 2.8TF gap, if there even is such a thing, considering I personally don't buy the "leak" being current/final PS5 specs at all, nor do I believe that 12TF for XSX is in RDNA2 numbers. Until we get confirmation of both I refuse to consider anything settled, but if we're speculating about potential power differences we need to actually be specific about what can or can't be done with an "extra" 2.8TF that developers supposedly don't have anything to spend it on.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Brand loyalty is strong in this thread

if you want to see how to defend a console this the thread to read

I don't see the point tho,

i see things two ways either you care about your 4K tv and want the best experience

or you don't mind graphics and all those times this fans on this website down talk The switch now makes the switch do not seem as bad

i just like my cousin was disappointed when ps4 pro did not play games in 4K and did not come with 4K bluray player, I will not make same mistake twice I will get my full 4K experience and I hope Microsoft have Dolby vision
Didn't Xbox already release an update that introduced Dolby Vision for Video playback and streaming for the Xbox One X?
Xbox-Dolby-Vision-64fa3a9a7c2f1524.jpeg

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone needs a confirmation whether specs or games are more important: see how fast this thread moves on and the next gen thread, too.

this is resetera, though, its even more niche than the olf gaf and not representative of regular console gamer, like at all.

And as you can see in this very thread, outdated things like console wars, bragging rights and other immature stuff are...well, very present in this old school console gamer kinda vibe forum. Unfortunate but true

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gears 5 was very good, and recore was an interesting idea, im sad it didnt turn out better

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Sony coming in with the more weaker and expensive hardware would not be a good a look at all.

Hopefully these really are just rumors and nothing more.
If Sony's is weaker, it certainly isn't going to be more expensive. MS will probably take a hit to make theirs appealing enough, but they wouldn't take that much of a hit.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn alot of switching from alot of people

I couldnt care less about TF and what difference it is etc.

Its all about finally a good CPU in these consoles. And not a outdated one when its released.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
In no way does it surprise me (if this is true) that MS is going big... they are still hurting from this current gen and the idea that they had the weaker console and that was a big issues early on BUT .. they need to remember the other big reason why they lost out of the gate... price. If MS is serious about a much better start to the gen they not only need a more powerful machine to control that conversation but they also need to match the PS5 price. If they swallow hard and take the hit then we are in for a damn fun start to the next gen.

Either way... I will own both..excited as hell another generation is nearly upon us!

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I think what Sony might have learned from the mid-gen refresh debacle is that the PS4 Slim vastly outsells the Pro.
That's possible, hence I said why I earlier thought the PS5 would be not as powerful and instead go for an efficient design to undercut MS. But this chip is not that.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
despite where the console ended up it was a well built system they didn't short change us like ps4 pro

Short changed who? I fail to see it. The Xbox had a year extra worth of tech inside and still came in 100$ more expensive. Sony took an entirely different route and decided to keep it priced at 399 and launch earlier.

If you felt shortchanged, you didn't do your math right.

Sep 25, 2018
Like every console generation, I'll get the system that has the games I want an the friends I play with, which will likely end up being the PS5. Power is never a relevant part of the equation for my purchasing decisions. I enjoy a lot of Sony 1st party offerings, so that's where I'll certainly be.

we all say this once we find out the power is weaker

in psychology we call this cognitive dissonance

we say anything to make our purchase or future purchase seem good in our eyes

I get it but I really would prefer Sony make something powerful so I can stay with Sony for ps5

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is not a really good game for me at least.. After Gears 1 and 2 the franchise is not in a good spot if you ask me.

Good exclusives are Ori and Forza but they need more to be dominant in next gen.
ok, that seems like a you problem. your original post just read like console warring. in a thread about specs and power coming out to say MS will never have sony exclusives doesn't really contribute much. you assume everyone values sony's exclusive offerings as much as you do. a, most people buy their consoles for the 3rd party games (cod, fifa, gta, whatever) and b, MS is clearly positioning themselves to offer a lot of exclusive content too.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this is resetera, though, its even more niche than the olf gaf and not representative of regular console gamer, like at all.

And as you can see in this very thread, outdated things like console wars, bragging rights and other immature stuff are...well, very present in this old school console gamer kinda vibe forum. Unfortunate but true
Im only talking about Era, not the general audience.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The leaks seem REALLY credible for ps5 imo - the part about hardware bc being and exact copy of the ps4pro-method makes this seem extra plausible

So bc for ps4 is probably not getting more resoures and wont improve old games without devs releasing a "ps5-patch" :(

This is lightyears behind xbox bc that offers automatic improvement for old software in various ways (you know like windows has done since 1995)

Sep 25, 2018
Short changed who? I fail to see it. The Xbox had a year extra worth of tech inside and still came in 100$ more expensive. Sony took an entirely different route and decided to keep it priced at 399 and launch earlier.

If you felt shortchanged, you didn't do your math right.

there was nothing pro about the pro

if I wasn't so invested in my ps4 I would of invested in xbox one x with a new generation I can start fresh now

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
If it *were* true, 9.2TF is still a major jump since that's only in the Navi architecture, but it equates to much more when comparing it to GCN, so I don't know why some power people are complaining in here about 9.2TF Navi. It's old information as others have stated, and at the end of the day the only things that matter are the games. Even if it's 9.2TF, that doesn't account for the massive jumps elsewhere that also determine the game quality, but everyone is so focused on a TF number to see that.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
They are commenting on rumors folks. It's possible that this is true but it may not be. Let enjoy the ride with the understanding that even if this is true that both these machines are powerful without being plagued by bottlenecks like last gen.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think they were wise in the video to repeatedly highlight how even if these numbers are accurate, it's still likely missing some important context to how Sony approached the PS5. Especially when questions like RT solutions are still hanging in the air, I don't see any reason to worry, re: implications of the leak.

I wouldn't exactly consider PS4 Pro an extremely well engineered console.

1. It's loud as shit
2. It's ugly
3. It doesn't accomplish anything particularly well (4K or 60 FPS), tons of compromises in Pro modes.

I think the Pro is actually an abject failure from a consumer perspective, especially compared to the X. If that is the continued direction for the PS5, I'm pretty bummed.

Engineering shortcomings aside, I still struggle to understand why Sony so aggressively cheaped out on even things like a UHD BR drive in the Pro. I'm glad I have my Pro for PSVR, but otherwise, it's felt like a pretty oddball refresh system. Not bad, but not particularly good.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the other thread where someone asked if reset members would buy a PS5 over SEX if Sony was less powerful and more expensive MS support was abysmal.

For now this forum is heavily entrenched in supporting either Nintendo or Sony.

But looking at the wider gaming market I don't see SEX selling better than their competitors because the most powerful console simply has never won the sales adoption battle. Price matters too much. But MS is supposed to have a new console that will be cheaper than the PS5 as well as the SEX.

I think that device more than anything else will determine how well MS does and I think it will strongly influence the sales of the Switch if that device becomes popular enough that MS is selling atleast dead even with Sony and Nintendo with both of their Xbox consoles combined.