• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Bear in mind that all this proves is that the chip is real, it doesn't say what it's actually for. It's an unknown chip with no known associated product, ergo it must be PS5. That's the speculation.
Then what's with the modes that give it exact ps4 pro and PS4 specs for backwards compatibility?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
DF is so out of the loop this gen it's painful. But things are moving fast so I don't blame them for this late vid.
You do realize they "independently sourced" this leak, right? That and making the video itself obviously takes some time.

And I'm sorry if I trust Digital Foundry a little more than random Era posters.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
People said that this gen and what do you know, the versions were often noticeably different.
No, they weren't. Most of the games are pretty much the same all around except for some very rare exceptions. Most developers don't really use the full potential of the pro/x and there are parity among mostly of the games.
Only the PC versions of games usually have some real differences.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
At first I'm thinking that 9.2 TF to 12 TF sounds fairly large but then I remember the Lockhart model is supposed to be hovering around 4 TF. Curious how that would play out for different versions of games across the varied platforms.
People need to understand what a GPU does and what a CPU does. Percentage wise, 9.2 to 12 isn't that far removed from the PS4 Pro's 4.2 compared against the X's 6, infact it's less.

All that amounts to really, is different target resolutions for games. A 1440p target on PS4 Pro amounts to a 4K target on X, as a rule of thumb (and some PS4 Pro and X games target less obviously). Other than that, the games tend to look extremely close, and play even closer.

Unless there are major CPU differences I'd expect the games to run very similarly. Other things could be different amounts of ray tracing capability, which could make for some major visual differences.

I wouldn't expect the two consoles to be any more different than PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, in other words, and as far as price to performance goes, I'm sure they'll be extremely capable.

Cerny's genius is designing a really balanced system without bottle necks, so all the hardware can be fully utilized without too much difficulty, designed around a price point. I'd presume that price point will again be $400. I'd presume MS are going to target $500 for the Series X, while they may have a cheaper model than the PS5 up their sleeve.

TLDR, so long as CPU capabilities are about equal, we shouldn't expect one system to run much better than the other, just differences in graphical fidelity. That goes for the rumored 4 TF Xbox. If the CPU is about the same, at 1080p, it should be able to run the same games without much trouble, if those games are targeting 4K and higher on the other systems. They'll be able to ship it with less ram too, as the framebuffers will be notably smaller and they can get away with reduced texture sizes, etc.

Looks like they're targeting 300/400/500 for low end Xbox -> run-of-the-mill PlayStation -> premium Xbox.

I dunno how it will work out of it kind of makes sense in a a vacuum 🤷‍♀️
This seems like a very logical outcome.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
I understand all the caveats with the info. I don't understand the downright denial just because one insider said is not final hardware (which could be a slightly better clocks for all we know).

DF has their own sources too. When Scarlett was rumored to be 12TF there was a lot of skepticism and turned to be true. I'm not saying this particular speculation is true, but is consistent with what has been speculated for several months, that MS secured the most powerful console spot confortable.
It's not only that. The chip design makes no God damn sense for a retail device and the leak says it doesn't have Ray tracing which we now it should. There are a lot of inconsistencies with the data and what we confirmed know.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be incredibly disappointing if true. I'd wait till the inevitable revision I guess for the Playstation side of things and probably go Xbox next go around.

Again assuming if true.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Specifically the "devs won't bother to use the extra power" and that the difference would be only noticiable on first part games. Just saying that there were arguments in favor of the power difference not mattering in the end and they were wrong.
There were people arguing that the PS4's extra power wouldn't be utilized over the XB1? I don't recall seeing that argument made at the time, at least not from anyone I would take seriously.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
No, they weren't. Most of the games are pretty much the same all around except for some very rare exceptions. Most developers don't really use the full potential of the pro/x and there are parity among mostly of the games.
Only the PC versions of games usually have some real differences.
Of course they were. It's why DF and other comparison sites exist.

There were people arguing that the PS4's extra power wouldn't be utilized over the XB1? I don't recall seeing that argument made at the time, at least not from anyone I would take seriously.

Yes, it happened a lot.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
It's not only that. The chip design makes no God damn sense for a retail device and the leak says it doesn't have Ray tracing which we now it should. There are a lot of inconsistencies with the data and what we confirmed know.
Exactly. Like we have been saying for days now. And then Matt confirmed.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Didnt watch or read but my opinion is that there is absolutely no way in hell microsoft will be left underpowered this gen.

It goes against many peoples views here I'm sure but sony got lucky last year out of the gate.

Xbox ruined their show with marketing, power and price. These will be rectified next gen and and we can already see that transition now.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
haven't you seen the next-gen thread? People dream about tf's at this point lol.

I'm ok with with these numbers. It's fairly obvious with two SKU's MS would want one of them to be most powerful on the market.
im afraid to go into some threads, honestly . For the sake of my mental health

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Why would the PS5 have the higher install base? They can still fuck up like they did with the PS3. Just like how MS fucked up current gen.

Sony still needs to sell the machine, and they haven't even started yet. Way too presumptuous

You're not paying attention. Sony's studio's are on a higher level than they ever where. Sony's exclusive portfolio currently is absolute world class and the PS4 has become one of the best selling consoles ever made. The fact that PS5 will play all PS4 software, gives them a HUGE advantage. They're coming with a new Horizon Zero Dawn game, they have the Spider-Man rights, they're pushing VR, they have Santa Monica and Naughty Dog. Bend will make a better Days Gone sequel. Only way to fuck up is to be way more expensive and weaker and even then they will probably outsell Xbox.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I understand all the caveats with the info. I don't understand the downright denial just because one insider said is not final hardware (which could be a slightly better clocks for all we know).

DF has their own sources too. When Scarlett was rumored to be 12TF there was a lot of skepticism and turned to be true. I'm not saying this particular speculation is true, but is consistent with what has been speculated for several months, that MS secured the most powerful console spot confortable.

Yep, I don't understand the downright denial either. Of course it's not going to be final hardware. Nothing will be final at this point. Anything could be tweaked until mass production starts, doesn't mean this isn't close to final. I'm sure there's some truth to all of this.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, and some were treating eDRAM on One as some kind of secret sauce. I don't have actual bookmarks for that, but is something we definetly saw in the old forums.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I find it amusing to watch the hoops people jump through to defend a box. Digital Foundry even in the article and video confirm that this leak was confirmed by another source it wasn't just some leak they decided to do a video on. It genuinely seems like they went and asked about it with their sources and then wrote it and videoed it because it was confirmed elsewhere.
The info wasn't really even leak to begin with. Old testing data posted on GitHub was datamined.

PS5 chip has RT in GPU, this old chip doesn't. It's not 2020 PS5 and we had Matt say that it's not confirmation of 2020 PS5. Y'all should chill.

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019
User warned: System warring, inflammatory drive-by posting.

The state of sony stans
bagdad-bob.jpg

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Microsoft really seems to come back at full force with next-gen gaming.
There's already a strong "X360 era" vibe in the air lately, and it's been amazing.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If anyone needs a confirmation whether specs or games are more important: see how fast this thread moves on and the next gen thread, too.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, come visit and by next week we'll feel the PS5 is about 4tf's... maybe!

Seriously stay away

But with a power advantage and a cheaper Xbox too.

I mean based on these specs, MS would have a power advantage and a price disadvantage and a power disadvantage and a price advantage...It is not clear cut. If say the price was lockhart 299, PS5 399 and XSX 499 I would argue the the best value would be PS5 and XSX. 12tf at 499 is good value, but comparing say 4tf vs 9tf for 100 extra? PS5 would be much better value.

Still, I don't think there is enough to go on yet. There are issues with the 36cu 2ghz that don't really make sense, couple with the idea that Sony may have aimed for a 2019 launch which doesn't make sense in any scenario. They have a much more robust upcoming line up than MS, the PS4 is selling better, and they have no incentive to pre-empt MS.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
The info wasn't really even leak to begin with. Old testing data posted on GitHub was datamined.

PS5 chip has RT in GPU, this old chip doesn't. It's not 2020 PS5 and we had Matt say that it's not confirmation of 2020 PS5. Y'all should chill.

And yet people are straight up denying it, DF didn't just take it as fact they went and asked their sources about it and got it confirmed. I don't think they publish this without having some faith in it or do we believe they do it just for clicks....

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It's very very unlikely it's the retail ps5 since 2ghz on 36cu would run so fucking hot it would make the rrod look like child's play. It's also not built how sony built the PS4 and pro, wide and slow. It's speculative that it's a early Dev kit to test bc, hence this leak is a bc test. It's pretty and exact duplicate of a 5700 , so people are thinking it might be the slow devkit that wir e tested for Spiderman since it was in a PC style case.
Digital Foundry notes that changing the processor is almost impossible by this point because it is a multi-year project. He did say they can increase clock speeds or accompanying memory, but based off the timeline Sony already decided to push the clock speeds higher by the time these leaked.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I really can't tell if people deny this out of fanboyism or what. I mean, I want powerful consoles and that's what we will be getting. No matter what the number are the leap will be noticeable. But here we are still focused on gfx like kids arguing SEGA vs Nintendo in the school yard. Every other positive upgrade to these consoles (god bless that CPU leap) is being ignored for the sake of arguing bigger numbers.

If the leaks turn out to be wrong or outdated and we get even stronger boxes then that's a plus too. But these threads suck ass. Not sure what I expected coming in here.