• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think the demo is impressive?

• Yes

Votes: 2,855 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 8.0%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
So with Lumen you get a lot of the benefits of Ray Traced GI (no baking, dynamic, bounces) but with likely a much lower performance cost. Doesnt this really weaken the case for using Ray tracing?

It weakens it for GI, but doing per-triangle tests for GI when you can only afford a few rays per pixel was never the best use of it. Reflections are still good.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Ya'll, this was an Unreal Engine 5 tech demo. This same tech will be utilized on Series X. This is not a "PS5 vs Series X" issue.

We all know that - but compare the first thing people saw running on Series X and the first thing people saw running on PS5. This was a really really good move by Sony, marketing wise. Next round, 1st party titles from both sides. Exciting times!

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Why so much fanboy crap and less excitement about the technology. This technology is beneficial to all. Be happy even if the demo wasnt on your platform of choice. It gives us a good idea of what we should expect from true next gen games over the next couple years.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Epic didn't have fortnite money when they made that UE4 demo on PS4. This might have some effect on the comparison.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
How is the PS5 powerful enough to render 25 billion of tris in real time, (and that's just tris alone, with GI, 8k textures and everything else?) Surely it's not THAT much more powerful than last gen?! Right now the budget on a AAA PS4 game is like what, 20 mil?

This is some wizardry.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Raytracing will get better over time with hopefully less memory overhead. This feels like an active decision to provide devs with an easy to use alternative so they can focus elsewhere on how to balance things if they so choose. Or limited raytracing can be used to enhance what you can get out of the Lumen technology, doesn't have to be one or the other.
With what I saw in that emo, RT can go to hell for all I care.

But the good news is that tech like lumen means that RT can be used sparingly for things that any raster-based lighting model doesn't account for do well. Eg, reflections.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those complaining that Assassin's creed is still going to be 30 fps - This demo was 1440 and 30 fps on the playstation 5 and there was no ray tracing

This is a bonkers brute force of this kind of detail and i wonder what it would look like for something targeting 60 fps

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all know that - but compare the first thing people saw running on Series X and the first thing people saw running on PS5. This was a really really good move by Sony, marketing wise. Next round, 1st party titles from both sides.
The first thing people saw running on a Series X was either Halo Infinite last year or Senua II. Both looked amazing.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've been a huge fan with everything Microsoft has been doing with Xbox Series X but this was a smart move to show something this awesome running on a PS5. Really hope Microsoft shows off something awesome running on an Xbox Series X because last week's third party showcase was rather meh to me.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
The PS4 demo for comparison

youtu.be

Unreal Engine 4: Real-Time PS4 Tech Demo

Epic Games shows off a new tech demo for Unreal Engine 4 running in real-time on PS4.
This is why the talk about diminishing returns makes me laugh, while this looks insanely better than the PS3, This looks like ass compared to all Sony 1st party games on PS4, let alone great 3rd party games by mid gen. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the same this gen by 2-3 years in.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I keep seeing this sentiment and I don't understand it, "I've been disappointed by "future" demo's in the past, so let's stop dreaming and striving for the next level" is what it feels like to me.
This type of demo is way closer in our grasps then most. It's showing the merging of film and games which is an inevitability... it's exciting to see now.

It is a marketing tool that is only focused on rendering and doesn't have any of the systems games have to worry about running underneath of it. People should be skeptical until we see a game that will actually release.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
How is the PS5 powerful enough to render that many billions of tris in real time? Surely it's not THAT much more powerful than last gen?!.Right now the budget on a AAA PS4 game is like what, 20 mil?

This is some wizardry.

I am assuming the original model is billions of triangles and UE5 is dynamically doing LOD.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Important to keep in mind this is still being worked on and won't be available to the public for another year. Plenty of time for optimizations.
True, but to be honest that really just means downgrades, but in this case, i think it's more they went overkill with the amount of tri's, i can't see any game doing that next gen, you can half the number of tri's & achieve similar results, then use those resources for something more important.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It is a marketing tool that is only focused on rendering and doesn't have any of the systems games have to worry about running underneath of it. People should be skeptical until we see a game that will actually release.
www.youtube.com

UE4 Elemental Demo for Playstation 4 | Unreal Engine

At the PlayStation Meeting 2013, Epic Games showed its new Unreal Engine 4 "Elemental" demo, the first public real-time demonstration for PlayStation 4!Want ...

Don't forget, this was the equivalent last gen (only it wasn't controllable unlike this new demo)

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Geoff asked a great question to Tim about the differences between Xbox and Playstation and got a politician answer (aka no answer at all). Wondering if this was supposed originally be a part of the PS5 reveal at GDC, because these guys wouldn't even breathe the word Xbox.

they said they intended to be playable at gdc, so the spec reveal was affected by covid.... we got just the specs without a demo.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Re: John's comments at 11:05, I'm actually wondering if he (or I) misunderstood. Because I'm under the impression that part of what they described for UE5 is that the mesh adjustments that let them run "movie quality" models in real-time can automatically scale them to platform. Like, the engine "understands" geometry well enough to cull intelligently. John was saying that running this demo on another (lower-end) platform would require manual LOD creation, but I thought the point was that while the detail obviously wouldn't look like this, a title engineered for UE5 wouldn't need traditional re-authoring for assets.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I keep seeing this sentiment and I don't understand it, "I've been disappointed by "future" demo's in the past, so let's stop dreaming and striving for the next level" is what it feels like to me.
This type of demo is way closer in our grasps then most. It's showing the merging of film and games which is an inevitability... it's exciting to see now.

Ironically, Anthem is a concept that would have come much closer to realization with high speed SSDs.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
How is the PS5 powerful enough to render 25 billion of tris in real time, (and that's just tris alone, with GI, 8k textures and everything else? Surely it's not THAT much more powerful than last gen?! Right now the budget on a AAA PS4 game is like what, 20 mil?

This is some wizardry.
The GPU increase is only like 2.5X from mid gen refresh. The real magic is from use of PCIe SSD and this new engine that allows devs to dump highest detail Z Brush models without making lower LOD versions, saving dev time.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
How is the PS5 powerful enough to render 25 billion of tris in real time, (and that's just tris alone, with GI, 8k textures and everything else?) Surely it's not THAT much more powerful than last gen?! Right now the budget on a AAA PS4 game is like what, 20 mil?

This is some wizardry.

From what i understood, the engine renders only what you see, and polygons per pixels, so it doesn't render the billions of polygons.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
How is the PS5 powerful enough to render 25 billion of tris in real time, (and that's just tris alone, with GI, 8k textures and everything else? Surely it's not THAT much more powerful than last gen?! Right now the budget on a AAA PS4 game is like what, 20 mil?

This is some wizardry.
over 6x the cpu.

Over 8x the GPU (vs XB1)

Over 6x the memory bandwidth (vs XB1)

Over 100x the IO throughput.

Yes, it's THAT more powerful.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing coming from all this is hopefully lightening up the workload for developers and allowing them not to make near as many compromises to their artistic vision they have for a project.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I've been a huge fan with everything Microsoft has been doing with Xbox Series X but this was a smart move to show something this awesome running on a PS5. Really hope Microsoft shows off something awesome running on an Xbox Series X because last week's third party showcase was rather meh to me.

I'm sure they will have something amazing to show. It's just been interesting lol, to see Microsoft do quite well with XSX so far but fumble their "gameplay reveal." And Sony fumbled their hardware "reveal" but did a great thing by making this their "gameplay reveal."

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much geometry you could get away with that doesn't use any kind of texture mapping, just storing the data per vertex instead.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The first thing people saw running on a Series X was either Halo Infinite last year or Senua II. Both looked amazing.

I know it would seem like I'm picking sides here (I'm really not, I'm getting both consoles) - but those were cutscenes, this was gameplay. I guess DF agrees with this judging by the "now this is next gen!" in their title: this is the first true glimpse of the next gen visuals, and both consoles will have it, but Sony scored marketing-wise by showing it on PS5 first - and that's a fact. Ball's in MS' court now, and I'm excited to see how they respond.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was a smart move on Sony's part because now most people will associate UE5 with PS5 rather than the other platforms it supports.

This was a pretty smart marketing move.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Quote from the article :
"Hardware accelerated ray tracing will be supported in Unreal Engine 5, for example, but it's not a part of the PS5 tech demo revealed today. We'll have more soon on this remarkable piece of technology"
Interesting.

This is blowing my mind that people watched the Anthem reveal, watched this demo, and are convinced that we've just seen the future. It broke my heart a little when this wasn't a short clip of an upcoming game, and I cannot understand the hype.
Anthem was a vertical slice running on NASA PC.
The Witcher III was a vertical slice running on NASA PC.
Xbox Inside had "in engine footage representative of expected xbox series X visual quality" => which means PC.

This, is a vertical slice running on PS5 dev kit. That's really, really not the same thing.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I am now excited. I'm just imagining some RPGs looking like that... better yet Knack 3 will look like a pixar movie

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I know it would seem like I'm picking sides here (I'm really not, I'm getting both consoles) - but those were cutscenes, this was gameplay. I guess DF agrees with the "now this is next gen!" in their title: this is the first true glimpse of the next gen visuals, and both consoles will have it, but Sony scored marketing-wise by showing it on PS5 first - and that's a fact. Ball's in MS' court now, and I'm excited to see how they respond.
People like to say that you pick sides when you criticize a console. I have been called a troll for saying certain things and I have owned all consoles every generation for years.

I think you are right though. To the average gamer, this is ahead of what MS has shown. 1440p 30fps is meh to me, but not to the majority of people. I am more excited because the graphical technology advancements can proceed once again.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it would seem like I'm picking sides here (I'm really not, I'm getting both consoles) - but those were cutscenes, this was gameplay. I guess DF agrees with this judging by the "now this is next gen!" in their title: this is the first true glimpse of the next gen visuals, and both consoles will have it, but Sony scored marketing-wise by showing it on PS5 first - and that's a fact. Ball's in MS' court now, and I'm excited to see how they respond.
Yes, you're right, this was gameplay and it looked incredible. Can't wait to see what's next!

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Lumen is really that dynamic, easy to implement and has a much lower performance impact compared to RT GI, then I can't see RT GI being used a lot in the future, even on high end PCs, atleast in UE5 games. Maybe RT is used more to complement the new raster methods and used much more sparingly rather than replacing the raster effects.

Deleted member 64666

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
I'm totally mind-blown... Honestly, it's shocking to see this unfold in front of your eyes... I keep frantically visiting every threads on the subject just being mindblown.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
they said they intended to be playable at gdc, so the spec reveal was affected by covid.... we got just the specs without a demo.

This would definitely have helped for context next to Cerny's Road to PS5 presentation. This seems to be basically the 'real' equivalent of the 'pac-man' graphics he used to talk about streaming gobs of in-camera assets on demand.

Better late than never I guess!

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This was definitely what I'd consider gameplay. It's actually surprisingly representative of a real game (input, character locomotion, real time physics, etc.)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Quote from the article :
"Hardware accelerated ray tracing will be supported in Unreal Engine 5, for example, but it's not a part of the PS5 tech demo revealed today. We'll have more soon on this remarkable piece of technology"
Interesting.

Anthem was a vertical slice running on NASA PC.
The Witcher III was a vertical slice running on NASA PC.
Xbox Inside had "in engine footage representative of expected xbox series X visual quality" => which means PC.

This, is a vertical slice running on PS5 dev kit. That's really, really not the same thing.
What NASA PC? Witcher 3 demo's were shown before even the GTX 980 was out, it just got downgraded because the XB1 is a shit baseline honestly that CDPR didn't have enough time to work around like say R* can, DDR3 for VRAM cmon. Thank god it won't be for much longer.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing coming from all this is hopefully lightening up the workload for developers and allowing them not to make near as many compromises to their artistic vision they have for a project.
This was one of the bigger takeaways I got. Every generation there's this concern about budgets getting too big and games taking forever to make so it's good to see some effort being put on cutting down developer time as much a possible. SSDs, ray tracing, and engine advancements like they talked about in UE5 will be huge.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm curious to know about Sony x Epic partnership in this, will PlayStation Studios other than Sony Bend use UE5? Did they work with the engineers behind engines like Decima? Are they sharing tech? It appears to be more than marketing.