• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the demo is impressive?

• Yes

Votes: 2,855 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 8.0%

• Total voters

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I'm used to people in gaming comunities acting like ten years olds and console warring over the most embarassing things but shitting up an entire thread over a tech demo of a multiplatform game engine must be one of the lowest points ever.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This looks amazing. Smart move by Sony to show this off as the first display of graphics running in real time on PS5.

When people think of what PS5 games could or will look like, they will think of this.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It looked nice, but not that mind blowing honestly.

They really should have gone for more colour and vibrance. Show me some mad colours and the like, that stuff actually pops rather than "look how extra gritty we can make our gritty world"
It's mind blowing if you consider what it's doing.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
It looked nice, but not that mind blowing honestly.

They really should have gone for more colour and vibrance. Show me some mad colours and the like, that stuff actually pops rather than "look how extra gritty we can make our gritty world"
I don't think you comprehend how much of a big deal that demo was. The Niagara particle system is kinda broken atm on UE4, it's sick but kinda useless because of how buggy it is when compiling your game or packaging it, how much of a pain Light Maps are, the fact that they pulled 8K textures from Quixel, how tedious baking is, the fact that they were able to use those horribly unoptimized yet detailed sculptures, etc

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
1440/30 - this is fascinating. We thought maybe raytracing would drop resolution, but here we're seeing quite a low resolution as a trade off for global illumination and high quality assets.

Will next gen start at 4k/60 becuase of last gen engines and rapidly move to eg 1440 res as engines get more complex - both systems like UE5 GI and ray tracing etc. Is that potentially a more efficient use of GPU and CPU?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Temper expectations at the start. However once foveated rendering is perfected, you'll see VR pushing graphics further than any other area of gaming. I can imagine an Unreal 5 VR game in 2026 being unbelievably profound in fidelity. Even just visiting that setpiece with the 500 statues would be a very real experience.
VR is going to be incredible in the not so far future. I should get a headset soon lmao.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
The actual gameplay here was nothing special, but I don't really care about that, the important thing was that it was one extended cut of actual gameplay rather than a bunch of hastily cut shots. This is what I would have liked to have seen from Microsoft's showcase, even if the games didn't look as good as this. There is something so much more exciting about seeing something being played, even if the gameplay is nothing special, than seeing a trailer. It gives you a much better idea of what the console or game or whatever actually offers.
Hold on lol. The final scene where they show true scope of the environment when she come out of the cavern and she flies and fast travel through it is something impossible in current gen. Before that part could be done with less detailed geometry and less impressive lighting, sure.

Also, the detail of the IK aided animation where she interacts with the environment more more precisely is something I haven't seen this gen either.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how this does anything to hurt Xbox as this is Unreal Engine and the Series X is a beefier console.

EldarMu

May 7, 2020
I'm just glad they're taking some of the weight off of the devs' shoulders

those AAA production times are kinda insane

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I think the showing from Microsoft was just so outrageously disappointing(just like most other inside xbox episodes), that something as abstract and basic as this looks great in comparison.

Oof Microsoft.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
This is very impressive. Hilarious to hear the "squeezing through gap" complaints when the demo ends with a 1km aerial sprint from the canyon into the desert portal. Say what you will, but the logo, dualsense and Unreal 5 marketing timing has hit hard on every move. Hopefully the pace picks up from now on.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
That's the stuff that I want to see when they introduce their new console hardware.
Impressive and promising.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Looks really good, but obviously puts things into perspective regarding 4k and 60fps being the new baseline for consoles.
Interesting too that this is running on PS5, which apparently is way behind on marketing vs competition.
Seems the console will be perfectly capable

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
counter point to this demo looking great and we'll never see stuff like that in real games becuase this is all a canned, controlled demo.

UE4 on PS4

Modern AAA games look way better than that. Since that UE4 demo we have had big advances in photogrammetry, PBR, temporal upscaling techniques.

As good as the UE5 engine looks (and it looks great) - I fully expect it to look 'bad' as we get to the second half of next gen. Some of the things devs will squeeze out of those consoles will be crazy as they build on existing ideas and iterate on the ideas of others.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
People are saying we got a huge boost last rom the demo time.
Its only a tech demo, not an actual retail title that we know of. ONly really designed to show off engine tech, which we did in terms of LOD and GI stuff.
Yes, but the UE4 Elemental demo for last gen got a downgrade in order to run real time on PS4. DF even did a comparison showing it.

Obviously, it's a bit different here since they're claiming it's running on console hardware from the get go.

Regardless, I'm very glad that pop-in is seemingly going to be a thing of the past. I wish they could've demoed the tech it on a more intimate scale. The prospect of having smaller objects in scenes modeled at much higher fidelity without a framerate is exciting.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is very impressive. Hilarious to hear the "squeezing through gap" complaints when the demo ends with a 1km aerial sprint from the canyon into the desert portal. Say what you will, but the logo, dualsense and Unreal 5 marketing timing has hit hard on every move. Hopefully the pace picks up from now on.
It's not so much complaining but rather ... why even have the squeeze through gap moment? The moment I saw that, I winced as it was a reminder of how current console CPU and SSDs have caused big budget games to be bogged down by a ton of squeeze-through moments. Having it part of the tech demo when it's not necessary with the hardware (as evidenced by the aerial sprint) was just a baffling design decision for the tech demo. I'm not complaining about it, I'm just confused. The squeeze-through is the textbook "mask the loading" moment of the current gen. WHY include that? Again, no complaint from me. Just confusion.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Dark1x would you say that this real-time PlayStation 5 Demo could also run on an XBox Series X?
What epic said:
"Nanite allowed the artists to build a scene with geometric complexity that would have been impossible before, there are tens of billions of triangles in that scene and we couldn't simply have them all in memory at once and what we end up needing to do is streaming in triangles as the camera moves around the environment and the I/O capabilities of the PS5 are what allow us to achieve that level of realism."

"We don't have performance comparisons, we can't share performance comparisons, but this is a feature set you can count on with that generation, particularly micro polygon geometry with the Nanite technology and real-time global illumination with Lumen."

"Not just a little bit faster but a lot faster, so that you can bring in this geometry and display it, despite it not all fitting and memory, you know, taking advantage of next generation SSD architectures and everything else... Sony is pioneering here with the PlayStation 5 architecture. It's got a God-tier storage system which is pretty far ahead of PCs, bon(?) a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome performance too."

So they vaguely implied the level of detail only possibly on PS5... but then said it's all possible in general on PC/XSX but have no performance comparisons.

Sweeney honestly kind of sounded like they hadn't tested on XSX.

And there's still the question of whether it's realistic to expect twice the detail on PS5 considering what that will do to game sizes.. and the fact that a demo with no enemies on screen or AI running was 30FPS1440P most of the time as is...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because UE demos are about gameplay.. right

Can we all stop polluting this thread with Xbox stuff?

Both systems are going to run multi-platform games similarly.

There's no denying this UE5 demo, structured to feel like gameplay with player control, feels more impressive because it's an interactive piece, not a visual piece
I think thats inescapable when XB first party teams have historically pushed Unreal to new places. Its going to brought up in a thread about next gen Unreal on a similarly spec'd machine.

Last edited:

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's not so much complaining but rather ... why even have the squeeze through gap moment? The moment I saw that, I winced as it was a reminder of how current console CPU and SSDs have caused big budget games to be bogged down by a ton of squeeze-through moments. Having it part of the tech demo when it's not necessary with the hardware (as evidenced by the aerial sprint) was just a baffling design decision for the tech demo. I'm not complaining about it, I'm just confused. The squeeze-through is the textbook "mask the loading" moment of the current gen. WHY include that? Again, no complaint from me. Just confusion.
Exactly. Why even include that?

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
1440p/30fps?

Pfiou. If Microsoft uses this as a target for XSX, how will the game run on Xbox One?

And people said cross-gen will not hold anything back...

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Hold on lol. The final scene where they show true scope of the environment when she come out of the cavern and she flies and fast travel through it is something impossible in current gen. Before that part with less detailed geometry and less impressive lighting has been done plenty before, sure.

Also, the detail of the IK aided animation where she interacts with the environment more more precisely is something I haven't seen this gen either.
I think you must have quoted the wrong person or something? Everything in this demo looked great to me technically. If you did mean to quote me and are referring to me downplaying the quality of the gameplay I don't mean to say that that last section is possible on last Gen or anything, just that theggameplay before that could be in any unchartedoor tomb raider that currently exists. Also, the last part where the character is flying looked great technically, but I don't think that part was so much gameplay as interactive cutscene. Could you imagine trying to actually control the flight at that speed and land on the incredibly small areas they did? No way would someone actually design that as a gameplay section unless interaction was very limited or you were just flying high above all that geometry and didn't have a chance of interacting in the way that was shown.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone's talking about the graphics technology but did anyone else get a great impression on the spatial and directional audio in this? DF didn't really mention it in their video.

I have only watched the demo twice with my logitech z625 but I thought the reverberations and positional audio for the sound effects was kind of mind blowing. And this is on a stereo 2.1 setup. I think audio will be amazing next gen holy cow.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if you get a wing suit in Spider-man 2 and you could fly like this in NYC.
Everyone's talking about the graphics technology but did anyone else get a great impression on the spatial and directional audio in this? DF didn't really mention it in their video.

I have only watched the demo twice with my logitech z625 but I thought the reverberations and positional audio for the sound effects was kind of mind blowing. And this is on a stereo 2.1 setup. I think audio will be amazing next gen holy cow.
I was hugely impressed by the audio, hence I said earlier in this thread to watch it again with headphones on.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What epic said:

So they vaguely implied the level of detail only possibly on PS5... but then said it's all possible in general on PC/XSX but have no performance comparisons.

And there's still the question of whether it's realistic to expect twice the detail on PS5 considering what that will do to game sizes.. and the fact that a demo with no enemies on screen or AI running was 30FPS1440P most of the time as is...
It also kind of sounds that this was a paid marketing by Sony, so he is hyping what he is being paid to hype. Without any actual comparisons till be hard to tell.

I could see both consoles running very close overall. Some games better on PS5 others better on Xbox. All depends on how devs decide to develop the game.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Why even include that?
It's just for showcase purposes. It's important to see how a model is interacting with the environment close up, the LOD, the animations, as this provides a direct comparison to a typical shot we see today.

I think it ends up being a nice contrast given the ending scenes.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Wonder if that's the tempest engine being put to use...

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
What epic said:

MS hasn't shared BC Pack compression info with all the devs yet either. Probably only the first party knows about implementing BC Pack as of now.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I'm just glad they're taking some of the weight off of the devs' shoulders

those AAA production times are kinda insane
Yep, once again people are turning this in console wars while the important part is that you can have this quality while reduced dev work drastically.
puts things into perspective regarding 4k and 60fps being the new baseline for consoles
If you believed that, that's on you.

fattylion

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I just cried when i look at this demo. Not because of how impressive it looked which it really does, but because RIP all CPU and GPU before NAVI and Ampere. Time to build a new PC with M2 SSD.