• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the demo is impressive?

• Yes

Votes: 2,855 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 8.0%

• Total voters

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
A tech demo for a non-game we'll never get. Looks good I guess, but really not that special imo. Jeez at least that xbox show had actual games we'll play one day.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Oh, it's 1440p dynamic res on ps5? This demo is clearly gpu limited on ps5 at the current state (of course by the time it launches it will likely be further optimized)

And lol at how much people were trying to minimize the gpu gains this generation
A new gpu feature brought by the new architecture (mesh shader) is enabling that level of geometry detail to be parsed in real time. And that's basically only the beginning.

They also mention virtual texturing which sounds a lot like the Sampler feedback feature implemented at a engine level already as well.

Is this at 30fps too?

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Incredible looking gameplay and on a 10tf gpu too. wow.

My 2080 super is screaming with joy.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Was even intended to be playable at GDC on PS5.
John...I know you and Dictator have a more decerning eye for this stuff, but a lot of those scenes in this demo looked very similar (lighting/geometry detail) that was in Dictators overview of Shadow of the Tomb Raider RTX version. Can you weigh in on how differnet this demo was to SoTR using RTX? I have a 2080ti and have played a lot of SoTR with RTX and it just blows me away and when I watched this I was feeling like there is not that big of a jump.

It also seems like the most comparable thing from this demo is SoTR RTX. Would it be something you guys would compare to see what advantages this new engine has over what SoTR uses? Again, you guys have a much more decerning eye for the fine details that most of us don't so hearing from the experts would be interesting.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The GI and geometry features are mind blowing! I'm also very glad this was a demo level instead of just a cutscene like most tech demos. Felt way more practical and real. Super cool way to debut the engine and actual PS5 footage!

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Some of this is astonishing, even if just a tech demo. I wonder how long it will take ND, Guerilla etc to hit this level of next gen graphics.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this were the case then why would Sony go out of their way to make sure this was a 'PS5' reveal? They know how important first impressions are and, instead of most everyone here on Era, they see Marketing as an actual timeline instead of a series of seperate events that 'overwrite' each other. As such, they clearly wanted to make sure this specific tech demo was the first major association people have when they think "PS5 graphics." It's really not that complicated.

Honestly it's so frustrating trying to talk about marketing in any real capacity here. A simple 'brand association' message that never suggested total success or failure for either is taken as some fanboy rant.

TIL that analysing something based on my area of expertise because I'm interested in it = "Over-analysing something" and that "Sony has placed themselves in a better brand position than Microsoft" = "Sony is dominate. Microsoft is fucked."
The issue is you framed it in a way that suggests this is going to have some type of long lasting "ripple" affect on how these consoles are perceived. Which is, of course, a ridiculous assertion.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Supposedly this was planned to be 'playable' according to DF. That probably doesn't mean more than 'push forward' though, but would be nice to hear some more details.

Isn't this lighting cheaper than RTX? I might have missed something - just wondering.
I mean, that is Geoff's thing. Playable demos.. We'll see lol. Playable by someone does not mean playable by the public. And honestly.. what was there to play? It's a corridor that opens up into a large, fixed-camera angle, on-rails corridor.

They called it bounce lighting. Ray Tracing is bounce lighting - with more bounces. So, while this is cheaper, the effect is similar at best.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
crazy demo, even without ray tracing. though I can't help but feel like using full sized assets will be killer on memory. sounds like a thing that's more for the film/animation industry than games

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
1440p/30.......

60fps dream is dead.
Honestly, this is why people shouldn't get too excited about what Sony's faster SSD can do for graphical fidelity (outside of eliminating texture pop-in). It doesn't matter how much you can shuffle in and out of RAM, nor does it matter how much you can read from the SSD, as you've still got to display all of that. You can certainly make better use of the RAM this way, but you're still at the mercy of the GPU when it comes to displaying all of it. Plus, with higher frame rates, you've got more to worry about with regard to managing system resources for physics interactions.

That said, as long as performance doesn't drop below 30 fps, I'm fine, but I honestly hope we see more and more games hitting at least 60 fps. I'm already planning to buy an Xbox Series X, despite the "lack of games" for it, as I'm totally fine with putting hundreds more hours into Forza Horizon 4, albeit with higher graphics fidelity and at 60 fps (rather than having to settle for 1080p and reduced graphical detail to get to 60 fps).

Oct 25, 2017
It will come down to gameplay, scenario, art direction, originality, ...which is great! Ultimately it still depends on the artists' vision and talent - it's not going to have a button that says 'make things pretty'.

True.

Still, I can say with just about complete confidence that if this is just the demo of what is the most widely used engine in the industry, then 1st party studios will really put on a showcase. I know what that looks like for Sony just with the PS4 alone, I can really already imagine it. As for MS, they obviously have Halo which I know is going to be amazing and Hellblade, but outside of that, I can't see anything else and with that, that's where things will definitely determine what's what and who's who.

This is going to easily be the nitpick gen.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Why is Hellblade II always talked about. That was in-engine and not representive of gameplay what so ever.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Well we know that Microsoft won't have full next gen games until at least next year, everything coming out at launch will be cross gen.

So if anything we already know Sony will be able to show off proper next gen titles unshackled from current gen.

But MS already showed next-gen exclusive titles at their third party showcase. I'm going to guess there will be some next-gen exclusive graphical features in their showcase next month, they aren't just going to show a bunch of Xbox One games with ray tracing.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Whew lawd imagine an actual Tomb Raider on this. I can't. The rock climbing....i cant even imagine. I'm shaking.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
The temporal reconstruction in Unreal Engine is great, and I hope more games use that in conjunction with DRS. The environmental detail in the demo was awesome.

I'm hoping as we move through the gen, and devs have longer to work with these tools, games on par with this demo (or better) will be achievable at 60 fps.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
A tech demo made on an engine that's been worked on by an entire corporation for years and had hundreds of millions of dollars invested in it looks more impressive than actual AA games that small independent teams have worked on for a couple of years at most. Who knew?
Not only that, but these devs will not have had access to UE5 lol. Of course games being shown won't look as impressive as what was just shown. Also, spoiler alert, but don't expect a majority of the games shown from anyone during the near term to be what we just saw.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
All I could think of is "fuck the amount of man-hours to make a game like this will be unreal"

Looked really cool, though! Though I think I have trouble being "wowed" anymore. Probably need to adjust expectations!

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Hellblade II always talked about. That was in-engine and not representive of gameplay what so ever.
It's the only tangible evidence of XSX potential we have so far. I don't know what this forum is going to do if it turns out the PS5 ends up the more capable machine.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Wow, that's how you present a new console with its potential. I honestly felt emotional just looking at this, and thinking: we are finally there. This is is what you dreamt of when you were 7 years old.