• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the demo is impressive?

• Yes

Votes: 2,855 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 8.0%

• Total voters

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Whenever I see ultra-detailed environments like this all I can think about is all the crunch the poor developers are going to be subjected to while trying to pull it off.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
A tech demo made on an engine that's been worked on by an entire corporation for years and had hundreds of millions of dollars invested in it looks more impressive than actual AA games that small independent teams have worked on for a couple of years at most. Who knew?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Whenever I see ultra-detailed environments like this all I can think about is all the crunch the poor developers are going to be subjected to while trying to pull it off.
Not really how it works is it?

The modelers make the models at high detail... there's actually extra work involved downgrading those assets to be realistic in real-time not the other way around.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm still shocked that Microsoft decided to 'reveal' next-gen how they did. What were they thinking?
Uhh.. they were thinking "Gamers say they want games, so we're going to give them the games that they can actually play this year!"

Epic was like "HA! Gamers are idiots who don't know what they want. Games? HELL NO. They don't buy games anyway, the hardcore are a bunch of whiny babies that blow like leaves in the wind chasing the narrative like lost puppies. JUST GIVE EM THE GRAPHICS AND SLAP A BUTTON PROMPT ON IT"

And god damn it, it worked, didn't it LOL. Very smart of Sony to pay for this rather than show actual games. ACTUAL GAMES can't look like this for years. That said, interesting that Sony chose to show this so soon before GOT. They must be very confident in the visuals there.

Was this real time or not, though?
It was at least partially interactive (the impressive part at the end, absolutely not playable). So, yes, I believe it was real time.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How are we console warring an unreal engine demo?

Fanboys always find a way.

Xbox is in a super tough spot now come July if their Halo and Hellblade aren't within reaching distance of these visuals.
Sony too for their show.

We're not going to be seeing games running on UE5 for 2-3 years since it's not even releasing until 2021. So if MS is in a "tough spot" because of this demo, that would mean Sony is too since they're both still using UE4 or their own proprietary engines.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
In terms of brand positioning it 100% is

Sony has associated their console with 'next-gen' whilst Microsoft failed to do so quite publicly. That's going to have a ripple effect on how people view the two consoles no matter how powerful they actually are.
Anyone who would remotely be interested in an engine tech demo understands that unreal engine is multi platform. Your narrative doesn't really hold up.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Impressive as hell. The world is so realistic that the character's stylized face is quite noticeable, giving it an alien/otherworldly feeling. Really cool.

Oct 30, 2017
people minimizing the significance of this engine is why the gaming community sucks. fucking nitpicking everything instead of admitting that this is an impressive engine demo that will push graphical fidelity forward simply because it premiered on one console and not another.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
It was very pretty. I was as impressed as I expected to be. If this makes these massive games easier and quicker to make than that's great. Nothing they showed open up any new gameplay experiences, which is what I'm hoping all this new tech will do. Better graphics only means so much to me.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the "But Hellblade II" people are always so defensive. This tech demo (the one that will run on PS5, Series X and PC) is fantastic. Unfortunately, fair or not, it's going to be associated with the PS5 at this point in time which is extra painful coming off the previous Xbox conference (which can be partially remediated in July).

Sometimes it's cool just to enjoy the spectacle without bringing bias into it. That demo was fucking awesome.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uhh.. they were thinking "Gamers say they want games, so we're going to give them the games that they can actually play this year!"

Epic was like "HA! Gamers are idiots who don't know what they want. Games? HELL NO. They don't buy games anyway, the hardcore are a bunch of whiny babies that blow like leaves in the wind chasing the narrative like lost puppies. JUST GIVE EM THE GRAPHICS AND SLAP A BUTTON PROMPT ON IT"

And god damn it, it worked, didn't it LOL. Very smart of Sony to pay for this rather than show actual games. ACTUAL GAMES can't look like this for years. That said, interesting that Sony chose to show this so soon before GOT. They must be very confident in the visuals there (despite.. again.. it being a current gen game lol)

Ironically though, this technical demo probably showed more 'real-time, in-engine' footage than most Inside Xbox demo's.

Also, you will be wrong re: ACTUAL GAMES not looking like this for years. This is the Unreal Engine, not some entirely new beast that developers will need to master.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this just says that next gen, people will REALLY have to nitpick to make a case as to why one is better than the other. It really will come down to exclusives at this point because I can't see how this will be decided.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Throughout the entire demo and interview my mind was just screaming "THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING FOR VR".

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one is in a super tough spot with this demo, I think. It has trade offs like any technology. This targets 30 fps and a middle resolution, other games want to do different things for their design.

I would literally want to die if people compared these graphics to something like Halo Infinite for console war purposes. I would want to scream into the void if people did that.
The Killzone and DriveClub demos on the PS4 for example looked better than the UE4 PS4 demo.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I'm not impressed after they stressed how intensive nanite and lumen tax the GPU that they could only render the demo at 1440p and 30fps at best. That's not a great target for next-gen.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could play it and zoom in on all the rocks and statues and just gawk at it all.