• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the demo is impressive?

• Yes

Votes: 2,855 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 8.0%

• Total voters

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Ya'll, this was an Unreal Engine 5 tech demo. This same tech will be utilized on Series X. This is not a "PS5 vs Series X" issue.
This is why I said the "3rd party Xbox Series X" May reveal was also Sony's way to reveal PS5 games at the same time. Lol

Xbox gamers should also be excited for today's reveal.

But I am still waiting for Sony to stop their bullshit and the information everyone is waiting for. System, BC, OS, games.

Shit is annoying now.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Yes it's impressive but the "squeezing through tight spaces to mask loading" is disappointing to still see. I'd rather have that eliminated over photorealism.
I think it was more to demonstrate the assets up close. The flight at the end makes it clear streaming is not an issue. They even said triangles are loaded in moment to moment.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Nice there is already an analysis from DF! will start watching right after the interview. I was thinking what does DF think about this when I was watching the demo.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of brand positioning it 100% is

Sony has associated their console with 'next-gen' whilst Microsoft failed to do so quite publicly. That's going to have a ripple effect on how people view the two consoles no matter how powerful they actually are.
No matter how much you want this to be true and for Microsoft to have failed miserably, sorry, but it's not. What will matter is what's to come.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Sony has associated their console with 'next-gen' whilst Microsoft failed to do so quite publicly. That's going to have a ripple effect on how people view the two consoles no matter how powerful they actually are.

But not on enthusiast forums where everyone knows better, right?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still shocked that Microsoft decided to 'reveal' next-gen how they did. What were they thinking?
Honestly, the mainstream doesn't care about engine demos. This is the stuff that satisfies the hardcore--the demographic of this site.

I can't remember any engine demo going viral or getting buzz with the mainstream like ever.

Also ppl are already overestimating this engine demo as a shot across to the bow to MS. Ridiculous take lol.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's impressive but the "squeezing through tight spaces to mask loading" is disappointing to still see. I'd rather have that eliminated over photorealism.
If you look at how the demo ended, I don't think it was to mask loading. Probably just an angle to show off those assets up close.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was a real time demo with actual gameplay
Yeah, puts it ahead of what we've seen from Xbox recently - but I'm not sure what gameplay is meant to imply in this context. A tech demo with moving parts, though more than a static CG trailer, is still far from being an actual game

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

We've got months until we can pre-order these consoles though.

If by July MS hasn't shown anything "next gen" looking running on XSX then I think they have a problem. It's May though.

This isn't the hard to fix DRM fiasco.. it's an impression that can easily change over time.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The single biggest takeaway for me from this demo is that lighting on these new consoles can look amazing without ray tracing. I hope most developers choose performance over ray tracing.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Damn, I was thinking both parties were lacking in advertising for next gen, but Sony just came out swinging with this. I hope for Microsoft's sake they have something impressive to show in July.

Either way, I'm excited for next gen and can't wait to see what both parties put out there.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I love the implementation of the poly tech.

But it's not impressive to me in the traditional sense. It's like the Unity Heretic demo. Give me the demo or a game to run on my own hardware. Don't tech demo "maybe games might look like this in 2023 when the engine has been in devs hands for a few years".. especially not with Lara Croft cave gameplay.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But not on enthusiast forums where everyone knows better, right?

Well we know that Microsoft won't have full next gen games until at least next year, everything coming out at launch will be cross gen.

So if anything we already know Sony will be able to show off proper next gen titles unshackled from current gen.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I mean everyone shows an awesome demo every gen and how many games get close? Hell they show game demos that never get made.

I am cautiously optimistic

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is in a super tough spot now come July if their Halo and Hellblade aren't within reaching distance of these visuals.
Sony too for their show.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Impressive nonetheless and the fact that it was completely playable was simply surreal but let's see how it will perform with NPC AI and more FX going on. Guess now it's Microsoft turn to show some Hellblade 2 gameplay to actually try to convince people on Series X. I'm also really curious to see this demo running on PC.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Well we know that Microsoft won't have full next gen games until at least next year, everything coming out at launch will be cross gen.

So if anything we already know Sony will be able to show off proper next gen titles unshackled from current gen.

Scorn and The Medium are next gen only

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

Every gen there's only like 2 games and they aren't even as good as the fully developed ones that happen in years 3&4 of the slate.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

No one can say definitively why it was done, but the voice over talked about the individual shadows and the sound tech, so I think concluding it was done just for loading to be a bit presumptive at this time.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean everyone shows an awesome demo every gen and how many games get close? Hell they show game demos that never get made.

I am cautiously optimistic

True real time tech demos? They usually get pretty close. Outside of the BS that was going around with PS3 consoles almost always exceed their early tech demos from what I've seen.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
They keep talking about ps5 and it's architecture allowing thisin the post-trailer interview.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Xbox is in a super tough spot now come July if their Halo and Hellblade aren't within reaching distance of these visuals.
Sony too for their show.
No one is in a super tough spot with this demo, I think. It has trade offs like any technology. This targets 30 fps and a middle resolution, other games want to do different things for their design.

I would literally want to die if people compared these graphics to something like Halo Infinite for console war purposes. I would want to scream into the void if people did that.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Squeezing through tight spaces will still be a thing, it just won't be due to loading.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Plum

May 31, 2018
No matter how much you want this to be true and for Microsoft to have failed miserably, sorry, but it's not. What will matter is what's to come.

What? You're making my post into some fanboy rant when I was literally just analysing Sony's strategy here and what effect that will have on both their and Microsoft's brand position. I find this kind of thing really interesting, and I honestly couldn't care less about who 'wins' in the end lol

Things can shift, of course, and in no way do I feel that Microsoft has "failed miserably", but this notion that marketing is just a process of overwriting things that came before is ridiculous.

We've got months until we can pre-order these consoles though.

If by July MS hasn't shown anything "next gen" looking running on XSX then I think they have a problem. It's May though.

Think of it this way:

Sony is currently in a position where their brand and their brand alone is associated with 'next-gen' visuals
Microsoft is currently in a position where their brand is associated with a disappointing showcase that failed to inspire

Whilst, yes, both positions can change, all I'm saying right now is that Sony has positioned themselves much more carefully than Microsoft has, and that will have an effect on their marketing in the future.