• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
no force 16X AF is a real shame, sounds like something they can do without breaking anything.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't Dark Souls 3 on base console have frame pacing issues as well? Issues that weren't present in the PC version of the game because pretty much any desktop CPU is orders of magnitudes better than jaguar? I remember reading something about the FROM frame pacing issues being connected to CPU performance. Do I misremember this or what?
Yes, all FromSoftware titles locked at 30fps exhibit the same frame pacing issues.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The PS5 has like 2.4x the compute of a ps4pro. You'd expect it to run a 1080p game flawlessly at 30fps.

Don't misunderstand though, I am pretty sure this is solely due to Bloodborne being a technical mess.
Frame pacing is still an issue with games that are locked at 30 fps with 0 frame rate drops. From Soft just has a weird way that they code for 30 FPS games. All their games have the same issue, DS3, and Sekiro both have the same issue when running at 30 FPS.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
That was only for one game no? Pre-patched Assassin's Creed? Or have others been confirmed.
The comment just happened come up when talking about Unity but DF was clarifying that PS5 does not force 16x AF at a system level the same way Xbox does. Probably because this is a feature that's been baked into DirectX for ages and so it's fairly simple to implement on Xbox.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The comment just happened come up when talking about Unity but DF was clarifying that PS5 does not force 16x AF at a system level the same way Xbox does. Probably because this is a feature that's been baked into DirectX for ages and so it's fairly simple to implement on Xbox.

Oh ok thanks. I swear there were previous PlayStation consoles that improved AF out of the box for BC.. was it PS3 Phat? For PS2 games? Or PS4Pro for PS4 games.

Anyway I wonder if they improve the BC over time... not that I think it's a top or middle priority for them lol.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Oh ok thanks. I swear there were previous PlayStation consoles that improved AF out of the box for BC.. was it PS3 Phat? For PS2 games? Or PS4Pro for PS4 games.

Anyway I wonder if they improve the BC over time... not that I think it's a top or middle priority for them lol.
PS3 let you enable filtering for PS1 games, can't remember if it did for PS2, but it wasn't AF. Just a kind of fullscreen AA effect if I'm not mistaken. On PS4 Pro, games still had to be patched to improve AF.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

It was Ps2 for ps1 game, and that was bilinear texture filter.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Has there been any frame rate testing on God of War?

I had it in our video initially (hence the thumbnail being a bit wrong!)

Solid 30 in resolution mode, solid 60 in performance mode. IMHO it looks sharper than PS4 Pro in perf mode.

Winstano your video is getting a lot of use.

Hahaha, YES! That's why I made it ;) :D

Oh snap, so it holds 60 fps on performance AND 4K mode?

I was under the impression only the performance mode options in games can achieve 60 fps while "favor resolution" modes lock the framerate at 30.

I guess in the end it's a case-by-case basis?

Yup, all of the games that have unlocked modes in the "resolution"/4k modes I tested run at 60. God of War being the exception

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The original poster was not talking about the differences in BC solution. They were clearly suggesting better performance, which is seemingly the case.

Not saying we shouldn't discuss why it's easier for PS5 to achieve target frame-rates, but this should not take away from the fact it performs better. And is the better experience between the two systems.
I'm not saying that the framerate differences shouldn't be discussed, only properly explained.

SX BC enforcing vsync (which would have solved Bloodborne framepacing issues as it did for similar games that had framepacing on 360 and xbone) is something that SX does better than PS5.

Whereas in this case it's just the case of the games having a very big resolution target. And even in this case what makes for the better experience is complicated because:

1- SX does get close to locked, it's not a scenario of a game running 50fps and lower consistently, in all cases it's games that stay almost consistently at 60 but some drops can occur.
2 - SX does support VRR which was designed with these scenario in mind. With VRR also enabled for BC games it means the few framerate hiccups on SX are all but eliminated from our perception. Would be nice for them to address that because with VRR SX would offer a similar smoothness AND a significant (>2x) resolution advantage in basically all the games they tested.

All in all, just didn't look like a very technical comparison, leaving details and not explaining the whole picture.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
Makes sense. The PS4 Pro was a weak system unable to keep up with the One X, so they usually used a mixture or combination of uncapped framerates and dynamic resolutions, where the X was able to maintain consistent resolutions/framerates. Unsurprisingly, you finally come out with a powerful system and those games run flawlessly. Sounds about right.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Bravo to Cerny and the BC team.

Let's also pour one out for all the BC-related FUD that failed to manifest. Limited compatibility, no boost mode, limited clocks, only using 18 CUs, etc. Nope!

Oh, to the folks definitively saying no improvement to Bloodborne - what about improvements to frame pacing? That is something I would expect to see. Did any outlet look for this?

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Well, I'm really happy that, despite Sony's confusing messaging about it, they managed to nailed it.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. The PS4 Pro was a weak system unable to keep up with the One X, so they usually used a mixture or combination of uncapped framerates and dynamic resolutions, where the X was able to maintain consistent resolutions/framerates. Unsurprisingly, you finally come out with a powerful system and those games run flawlessly. Sounds about right.
Not quite. Everything works as expected on PS5, from 2 to 2.5x faster performance (compared to Pro) in almost all cases (except unpatched AC Unity because GPU runs at PS4 clocks). But this is quite different on XSX as some games (like Assetto Corsa) only runs 1.5x faster than XBX.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
Do you guys think that these patches will be ready for launch? Because it's curious, to say the least, to have 1st party games, like Bloodborne, with locked 30fps. Or even God of War that has the same options that we have on PS4 Pro. Maybe these games will be ready for launch day. And of course, Ubi has been the one with bug games LOL

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
John from DF was impressed so I mean I may not like it, but I would take the word of someone who uses said thing again and has a stringent eye for these things. None of us have seen it
I got the information from the DF video to be exact. PS5 solution is only a slight tone map and according to John "not real HDR". When DF talked about the Xbox solution back in the day, they've seen a big increase in peak brightness and called it comparable or even real HDR.
None of us have tried it but damn people like to say how bad it is compared to the other thing their favourite box does that they also have not tried....
I am tired of people interpreting things into my post I literally didn't say.
  • Being impressed doesn't mean another solution isn't even more impressive.
  • A solution being better doesn't mean the inferior solution is bad.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Dark1x said:
It just feels like all these console games that never quite ran correctly are suddenly exactly what they should have been in the first place.

Well that's exactly what I needed to hear. This video is something Sony should have detailed months ago so I greatly appreciate the work put in by DF here. Exactly how BC worked for games is what I've been waiting to hear about...for all we knew before, everything would pull an AC Unity and run at PS4/Pro clocks. My poor impulse control will probably take over if I manage to have the opportunity to snag one in person.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm not saying that the framerate differences shouldn't be discussed, only properly explained.

SX BC enforcing vsync (which would have solved Bloodborne framepacing issues as it did for similar games that had framepacing on 360 and xbone) is something that SX does better than PS5.

Whereas in this case it's just the case of the games having a very big resolution target. And even in this case what makes for the better experience is complicated because:

1- SX does get close to locked, it's not a scenario of a game running 50fps and lower consistently, in all cases it's games that stay almost consistently at 60 but some drops can occur.
2 - SX does support VRR which was designed with these scenario in mind. With VRR also enabled for BC games it means the few framerate hiccups on SX are all but eliminated from our perception. Would be nice for them to address that because with VRR SX would offer a similar smoothness AND a significant (>2x) resolution advantage in basically all the games they tested.

All in all, just didn't look like a very technical comparison, leaving details and not explaining the whole picture.

How do you know it's not enforced on the PS5?

Do you know the internal resolution of Sekiro on Pro? The actual difference in native resolution might put things into perspective. But still, none of this is all that relevant (to me at-least) when discussing BC frame-rate, a lot of curren-gen analysis are readily available. I don't care why one is lower, even though they do touch upon this briefly, I mainly want to know which platform performs better.

Sekiro on Series X seemingly dropped rather frequently during battle, even with just one enemy on screen. I don't think that's a good sign for later fights.

They have already mentioned VRR support in previous videos for One X and Series X. Not sure why it's necessary to lay out all the unnecessary technical jargon for quick comparisons.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
But that's not entirely true. Last year we had multiple games running at better frame rate on Pro than X.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
DF should test assetto corsa competizione, that was one game that still ran rather poorly on XSX, it be a good test for BC I think.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
How do you know it's not enforced on the PS5?
Because it didn't fix games with bad framepacing like Bloodborne.

Do you know the internal resolution of Sekiro on Pro? The actual difference in native resolution might put things into perspective. But still, none of this is all that relevant (to me at-least) when discussing BC frame-rate, a lot of curren-gen analysis are readily available. I don't care why one is lower, even though they do touch upon this briefly, I mainly want to know which platform performs better.
SX is running at twice the Pro resolution (1800p native vs 1800 checkerboard)

Performs better is relative in this case. Yeah, PS5 is achieving a higher framerate, but it's rendering twice as less pixels.

Sekiro on Series X seemingly dropped rather frequently during battle, even with just one enemy on screen. I don't think that's a good sign for later fights.

They have already mentioned VRR support in previous videos for One X and Series X. Not sure why it's necessary to lay out all the unnecessary technical jargon for quick comparisons.
It drops frames on SX, but they are well within range where VRR is reported to clean them up.

And I don't think it's unnecessary, it's one feature supported system-wide on SX, and that attacks precisely this scenario SX was in of a high framerate with drops, so why no mention at all?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
DF should test assetto corsa competizione, that was one game that still ran rather poorly on XSX, it be a good test for BC I think.
Assetto corsa Competizione runs at locked 60fps on PS5 (instead of ~30fps on Pro and ~45-50 on XSX).
Looking to enjoy Assetto Corsa Competizione at 60fps? The resolution is very low compared to Xbox One X/Series X but that flat-out frame-rate is a lock even with 20 cars in the driving rain.

Though I must say him saying "resolution is very low" is quite odd as XBX ran the game at about 30% higher resolution than the Pro.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing to me tearing is still a thing. I'll take performance, even if the cost is minor resolution concessions.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh! But thanks for the information.

There really wouldn't be much/any improvement to the frame pacing unless they uncap the frame rate. The Pro's boost mode only had marginal improvements which helped iron out the little frame drops which alleviated the frame spikes to make it seem worse, but it didn't get fixed there either.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had it in our video initially (hence the thumbnail being a bit wrong!)

Solid 30 in resolution mode, solid 60 in performance mode. IMHO it looks sharper than PS4 Pro in perf mode.

Hahaha, YES! That's why I made it ;) :D

Yup, all of the games that have unlocked modes in the "resolution"/4k modes I tested run at 60. God of War being the exception

How about FFXV? Does it hit 60 in other nodes besides lite mode?

Especially curious about FFXIV.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Assetto corsa Competizione runs at locked 60fps on PS5 (instead of ~30fps on Pro and ~45-50 on XSX).

Though I must say him saying "resolution is very low" is quite odd as XBX ran the game at about 30% higher resolution than the Pro.
Thanks this is good to know, and yeah I wouldn't say the resolution is low, since its native 1800p.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone compared running PS4 games on an external HDD vs external SSD vs internal SSD. I'd love to see that data.

On my PS4 Pro, I have my games on an external SSD. If an external SSD is just as good as the PS5's internal that'd be dope!