• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
When the only 2 games I want improved (tlou2, BB) only have better loading times :(

damn it Sony where's my 60fps for these games.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Knack again showing putting PS on his back lol.

Great video and all around good stuff! Lots of games are going to be running great on the thing. Gamers are getting some really good consoles here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Huh, this is something I didn't expect to see. Can't watch the video at the moment but is there reasoning given for this in it?
PS4 Pro games usually run either checkerboards or at a lower resolution.
I'm seriously impressed. Literally every game I've played on it with an unlocked framerate sits at a solid 60.
Not every games as seen with Unity as a example. Some games will run with PS4 Pro clockspeeds.
So PS5 BC is better than Series X BC now, because all PS4 games have an automatic 1080p resolution? Is this what they're saying?
Nope. Games in both consoles won't see a resolution increase, thus it comes down to what the games run on originally. Which was 1080p on PS4 and mostly 900p on Xbox One. Going back to my first sentence, this means Xbox Series X can't push the resolution beyond the artificially limit of 900p and PS5 not beyond 1080p on PS4 games.
On par with MS solution, in a few games even better, in some games a little bit worse.
I knew this would come up and it is still false. PS5 runs games better, if the resolution was higher on the Xbox One X version and yes that's a benefit. But it's not down to the implementation of BC. PS4 games render with 1080p and those will look better on PS5, because Xbox uses the Xbox One versions for old games.

To sum up PS5 has two advantages here. Well objectively one (PS4 ports), because while Pro games run smoother, their resolution is lower and than it's up to preference. Now we are going to look at the Xbox BC advantages:
  • All games can tap into the power of the console, thus you won't be getting any AC Units situations where the PS5 downclocks the GPU to Pro standards.
  • There are no visual glitches anyone has seen. PS5 has glitches in AC:S for example
  • Loading times are better on Xbox across the board.
  • Auto HDR via ML. Superior to PS5 implementation
Just to name the basics. It's funny and silly at the same time to suggest the implementations are on par, because they are really not. I am impressed by PS5 efforts, but saying they are on par is to much.

Not to turn the thread into console wars but DF also said the PS5 also outputs everything in HDR, even games that never had it originally
Yes, but a less impressive implementation.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro games usually run either checkerboards or at a lower resolution.
Not every games as seen with Unity as a example. Some games will run with PS4 Pro clockspeeds.
Nope. Games in both consoles won't see a resolution increase, thus it comes down to what the games run on originally. Which was 1080p on PS4 and mostly 900p on Xbox One. Going back to my first sentence, this means Xbox Series X can't push the resolution beyond the artificially limit of 900p and PS5 not beyond 1080p on PS4 games.
I knew this would come up and it is still false. PS5 runs games better, if the resolution was higher on the Xbox One X version and yes that's a benefit. But it's not down to the implementation of BC. PS4 games render with 1080p and those will look better on PS5, because Xbox uses the Xbox One versions for old games.

To sum up PS5 has two advantages here. Well objectively one (PS4 ports), because while Pro games run smoother, their resolution is lower and than it's up to preference. Now we are going to look at the Xbox BC advantages:
  • All games can tap into the power of the console, thus you won't be getting any AC Units situations where the PS5 downclocks the GPU to Pro standards.
  • There are no visual glitches anyone has seen. PS5 has glitches in AC:S for example
  • Loading times are better on Xbox across the board.
  • Auto HDR via ML. Superior to PS5 implementation
Just to name the basics. It's funny and silly at the same time to suggest the implementations are on par, because they are really not. I am impressed by PS5 efforts, but saying they are on par is to much.

Yes, but a less impressive implementation.
It's literally what John from DF said himself, not really sure who you're trying to convince with your explanation.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
But don't you think the XSX should be able to handle past gen games at native 4K/60fps? Paper specs wise it's 3.3x more performant than a One X (RDNA2 tflop vs GCN). It's odd to see it dropping frames in some of these games, but I suppose that may simply be down to optimisation and BC implementation.
Neither the PS5 or Xbox Series X are using RDNA2 features in BC games.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Great job by sony in regards to backwards compatibility. I had my doubts but they came through in the end.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

The post you quoted said "Every game I've played"... I've not played Unity...

Buuuuuuuuut looking at the rest of your post kinda make me realise that replying to you is going to be pointless because anything I get back will be coated in green light anyway, so I'll leave it there :)

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna lose a loooot of time testing out old favorites to see the difference. A lot of time.

Excited for this!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neither the PS5 or Xbox Series X are using RDNA2 features in BC games.

Right. But Sekiro on the One X runs at 3200 x 1800 with an average framerate of ~40fps. On the Series X it runs at 3200 x 1800 at up to 60fps but with frame drops. RDNA2 features in BC or not, it's still 12.15 Tflops vs 6 Tflops, and the frame rate drops are still very surprising.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Ok, people. Can someone test if Destiny in the Wrath of the Machine raid still drop frames on the Death Zamboni?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The post you quoted said "Every game I've played"... I've not played Unity...

Buuuuuuuuut looking at the rest of your post kinda make me realise that replying to you is going to be pointless because anything I get back will be coated in green light anyway, so I'll leave it there :)
What the fuck? Is it not possible for some of you to discuss something without these bullshit? I just wanted to inform you that not all games will see benefits. But next time I just keep my mouth shut.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
So many games i want to go back to that just chugged on the frame rates or super slow loading...this makes me very happy.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say this exceeds my expectations regarding BC. I agree with John and Rich regarding performance vs occasionally more frequent 4k and tearing.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Anyone test Driveclub? That's a game that deserves a boost.
The games has a clear resolution target in 1080p and a locked 30FPS target. No improvements will come to this game with the exception of loading.
I dont understand it. Why doesnt Bloodborne run in 60FPS? But stuff like Tomb Raider and Knack does?
The FPS target is 30 for Bloodborne, while the other games have a unlocked framerate.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand it. Why doesnt Bloodborne run in 60FPS? But stuff like Tomb Raider and Knack does?

Developers have made Tomb Raider and Knack have an "unlocked frame rate" mode that basically tried to hit 60fps on the PS4 but struggled, the PS5 cleans it up and locks it at 60fps

Bloodborne is tied to 30fps minimum due to FromSoftware

So Sony would have to ask FromSoftware to patch in an unlock frame rate mode for Bloodborne for the PS5 to hit 60fps

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was hoping that there is some improvement at release. Don't want to wait till 10th :-)
I was pretty pissed also, I am used to 60FPS from Stadia. I tried playing on xCloud and the experience and load times were brutal. I have so much to play when I get the X I might just hold of on Destiny so I can experience the new content enhanced

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne doesn't run at 60 because the original game didn't run above 30 FPS, the upper limit is 30 and the only way to get anything bigger is to have developers patch that in. Tomb Raider and Knack had modes where the upper limit was 60. Uncharted 4 for example is going to be 30 unless Naughty Dog patches it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Right. But Sekiro on the One X runs at 3200 x 1800 with an average framerate of ~40fps. On the Series X it runs at 3200 x 1800 at up to 60fps but with frame drops. RDNA2 features in BC or not, it's still 12.15 Tflops vs 6 Tflops, and the frame rate drops are still very surprising.
Good point. I don't know, but sometimes the framerate drops for different reasons. You can see this in the first ever great analyses by IGN. They talk to the gears devs and they'll explain in the video why there are FPS drops due to a bug or rather something they've used in the Xbox One version due to Unreal engine on Series X. Those will be fixed, but that's not important for this post xD
youtu.be

Xbox Series X Performance Test: How Gears 5 Proves It's a Beast

The Xbox Series X launches with new Gears 5 enhancements that truly showcase what the Xbox Series X can handle fidelity wise. The Xbox Series X is capable of...

Obviously the reasons are most likely different, because Sekiro isn't using unreal, but it just goes to show sometimes drops happen without the CPU or GPU being the issue at hand. Sometimes it's a bug or funnily enough a workaround causing the issued for example.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Not to turn the thread into console wars but DF also said the PS5 also outputs everything in HDR, even games that never had it originally

It's just tone mapped to a brighter image. So whites get brighter. Lots of TVs do the same thing.

It's not the same thing that the Xbox Series X is doing with it's ML Auto HDR.