• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Another argument of, "If Sony had something to show, they would be shouting from the rooftops by now" shattered.

Sony should market BC better. Because this is a massive accomplishment.

And it's been shitty to see the narrative that Sony is hiding their BC because it's a shoddy implementation.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is honestly great, I'll be finishing P5R on this system, probably play Days Gone too. I would've loved to see Bloodborne get a update but honestly... I put so much time into that game in 2015... one of the best games ever made but not even 60fps it enough to get me back for a 1000th playthrough.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot more involved than that. The author of the unofficial 60fps Bloodborne patch tried that and it broke the game (it ran at double speed).
Bloodborne also has terrible framepacing, though. A patch that increases resolution, improves loading times and properly caps the game at 30fps running at even 33ms intervals would already be a massive improvement, if they don't want to deal with increasing the framerate cap. I'm ok with 30fps, Bloodborne's 30fps is the issue.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The only shame is that the games they want to replay the most or play for the first time on PS5 require a patch to get to 60 FPS. In the case of God of war, I wanted to play that at 60 FPS with at least checkerboard rendering...

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Its really cool to see ps5 bc working great i was waiting before buying one but seeing thats its working fine i think imma buy one sooner

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Cool...I really only have a few PS4 games to finish up, but most of them have unlocked frame-rates or are just getting an actual PS5 patch. Very nice...I was honestly expecting MS b/c to be much more superior, glad PS5 is essentially matching it, just hope they do more patches. MS still went the extra mile here, but its really really good on both platforms, particularly if Sony keeps testing.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Nioh runs at 60fps too (the fidelity mode has an option to unlock the framerate iirc).

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Bloodborne is literally the only one I care about being 60fps lol, GoT and Days Gone are great games to me but the type of games that you play all the way through once and never go back to.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
It's a handful of games that have locked higher resolutions on the series X. And they were showing stress points not the moment to moment gameplay. The Xbox also gives games HDR, often better visuals than the PS5 version, and 4k upgrades to 6/7th gen games, personally i'll take that.

The PS5 BC is amazing though and i'm gonna love it as well, and probably use it more often because of the games i haven't finished.

Everything runs in HDR on PS5 not just select PS4 games.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I hope you can disable the tone-mapped HDR shenanigans on non-HDR games without having to disable HDR entirely.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'll take Sekiro at Checkerboard 1800p locked 60 over native 1800p with dips in low 50s, so yea that's better IMO.
Stable frame rates >>>>>>>>> 4k vs 1440p
Again, that does not make the PS5 BC better in any way. There's nothing ps5 is doing that is better than what SX is doing, the difference is only the locked setup of the games being drastically different.

And there are scenarios where SX gets the higher fidelity and performance.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
Looks amazing, wished I had the money to buy one. I'll stick with the 4 for some time.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Worth picking up disc version of Assassins Creed unity Xbox to play on series X?
Are you playing it for the first time? Comes down to how much you want to play it at 60 frames versus the amount of bugs and glitches that weren't yet ironed out. However, I'm pretty sure a physical copy of Unity is dirt cheap these days, so it's not like it'll cost you much.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again, that does not make the PS5 BC better in any way. There's nothing ps5 is doing that is better than what SX is doing, the difference is only the locked setup of the games being drastically different.

And there are scenarios where SX gets the higher fidelity and performance.

But don't you think the XSX should be able to handle past gen games at native 4K/60fps? Paper specs wise it's 3.3x more performant than a One X (RDNA2 tflop vs GCN). It's odd to see it dropping frames in some of these games, but I suppose that may simply be down to optimisation and BC implementation.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Great news. Considering how "hush hush" this was, I was fearing the worst. It's nice to know that they allowed the hardware to brute force the games instead of playing them in some sort of system emulation that limited the games to what they played like on PS4.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Somewhat I'm glad for the lower rez targets on the Pro. Seeing the framerate locked 60 is so satisfying.

I wish they'd have tested loading times, though.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
What I loved about this video was that at the end of the day, both MS and Sony have amazing BC experiences available for older games. That made me smile. 2-3 months ago I would have bet that the PS5 BC experience was going to be pretty weak compared to MS. I can't wait to play GoT and Days Gone next week!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Just as I suspect it all along. This whole time Cerny designed the PS5 the way it is so Knack could run at a stable 60fps.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't watched DF in years and will probably not continue to do that going forward but my thoughts:

John is still a nice man.
Never played Knack but I'm surprised it didn't run so well on PS4.
Lack of official communication means nothing and can yet again not be interpreted to mean something one way or another.
John likes his discs, unpatched or patched depending on usecase.

As Rich has summarized, PS5 BC performance improvements benefit a lot of the PS4 being stronger than the XB1 and the PS4 Pro being weaker than the XBX.
Hats off to Cerny for this 5D chess move.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
But don't you think the XSX should be able to handle past gen games at native 4K/60fps? Paper specs wise it's 3.3x more performant than a One X (RDNA2 tflop vs GCN). It's odd to see it dropping frames in some of these games, but I suppose that may simply be down to optimisation and BC implementation.
Nothing odd, Ms already explained in BC none of the architecture improvements of rdna2 applies. When running bc games SX is literally a 12tf GCN console.

Which makes the performance more impressive because it's literally achieving a 2x performance multiplier in gpu bound games despite not using rdna2 features and with the only gpu aspect of the gpu that was doubled being the tflops.

And of course, for native games the performance is even higher which is why they were able to deliver even past ultra settings in Gears 5 for example and still achieve higher resolution and framerate than X.