• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm seriously impressed. Literally every game I've played on it with an unlocked framerate sits at a solid 60.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I noticed is that games tend to run at 1440p on PS4 Pro, whereas their XB1X counterparts were closer to full 4K, so the PS5 can more easily hit 60FPS than the XB1X can on the same game because it's pushing a lower resolution.

So, Microsoft should patch the games to run at 720p, right :D ?

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
For like a month I've been not playing games much. I have to jump back into Ghost of Tsushima so I felt like I just wanted to wait.
Haha, for maybe six months or so I haven't been playing PS4 solo games to enjoy more definitive BC experiences on the PS5. Day's Gone was the last one I completed, and even that I should've waited on apparently. :-)

That's OK, I still have a first play through goodness ahead of me for Spiderman, Gosts of Tsushima, TLoU2, FF XV, and Seikro among others

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it the two FromSoft games that need it the least that are 60fps and not Bloodborne...
It's not fair...
tumblr_mu98efO1T31s2axdno1_500.gif

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phenomenal. Transformative.

Why the hell have Sony not been highlighting this?!

Probably because Sony doesn't want to be seen emphasising BC or playing to the same marketing game, rather focusing on the next-gen stuff. But I agree, clarification would have been welcome, and beneficial to them.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic news all round pretty much. I figured Sony was just being very cautious/pedantic in the messaging about this, they always have been when it comes to BC.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
First thhought that pops up: Why did Sony not market this more?
I personally don´t really care for BC that much but it seems strange that they basically left the BC-field to MS in the weeks leading up to launch.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If the lower resolution is 1080p for favoring stable/locked 60fps, fine by me.

As I doubt I'll buy a 4K TV/monitor anyway, lol.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Because they said many times their focus for new gen is new games. It is a cool feature but it is not their focus.
Exactly, their focus has always been new stuff, not old games because it's a lot more important for them to focus on what's new. Hopefully this pleases a lot of people though lol.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Sucks about BB. This is why I believe Sony should do their own souls games. From isn't going to bother with it.

And Sony has unbelievably good teams that can do as good if not better than From. Plus they own the BB, and DS.

Oct 25, 2017
Any video testing The Last Guardian?
I'm expecting a locked 30 at the high res mode after these results, which would be great.

Sucks about BB. This is why I believe Sony should do their own souls games. From isn't going to bother with it.

And Sony has unbelievably good teams that can do as good if not better than From. Plus they own the BB, and DS.
From didn't patch Dark Souls III for free out of the goodness in their hearts, though. If a game doesn't have a Pro/PS5 patch, that's much more on Sony than on the devs.

I think phrasing it as "From isn't going to bother with it" is a bit unfair. Are they supposed to just remove people from Elden Ring to patch Bloodborne for free and send it to Sony?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Any word on the resolution of Ghosts of Tsushima, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, and God of War?

At PS4 Pro settings i.e. significantly lower resolutions

Well Sekiro it was 1800 Checkerboard vs 1800 Native and it run about 5-7 fps worse on Series X. wouldn't call it significantly lowe resolution in this case, but that differs from game to game i guess.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A solid showing for PS5. After spending years with Xbox doing their BC stuff, it's great to see Sony pushing on as well. Not as many features as what Xbox BC was bringing to the table but it's a great start and no SOny fans should be worried about what is being shown here.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro performance seems just phenomenal, what a fantastic susprise.

Did my own testing - hopefully it's deemed worthy to compete in here!

Thank you for your work.

One thing if possible, the most notorious drops in Sekiro on a base PS4 is when you are on top of Ashina Castle (the place where you fight Genichiro and Owl), if you have any save that allow you to go to that area, could you please check how the performance is there?

I assume that if the game doesn't drop there it won't drop anywhere else either (at least significantly).

Edit: I just watched all the footage from your Sekiro coverage and you say you played it for the first time, so forget about that :D

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Can I start a kickstarter to fund a 60fps patch for bloodborne?

I'm not exactly 'rich,' but I am not 'poor' either.....I can fork out usd50000 at least just to make it happen...

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good to know that the list of Ubisoft games that were initially (falsely) reported to not work, do actually work, and that DF couldn't find any issues with them.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't expecting such good results considering BC is not a priority for Sony. This is incredible.

I'm definitely replaying Sekiro :)

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Good to see, makes me glad that I didn't play Ghosts or Days Gone on PS4, will be much more pleasant to play through them at locked 60 fps. Couldn't wait for TLOU2 though, had to play through it on a pro. With that said, it's really great to see both console makers finally acknowledge the importance of being able to play your previous gen games on your new console.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
video seems to be identical to the Series X video, down to the games tested. Awesome news all around.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
Basically what everyone expected. PS5 is letting PS4/PS4 pro games achieve their highest framerates and resolutions, and that's pretty much it.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any word on the resolution of Ghosts of Tsushima, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, and God of War?

At PS4 Pro settings i.e. significantly lower resolutions

I think calling it significantly lower resolutions is pushing it. Usually PS4 Pro games were either dynamic resolution (so on PS5 you'd get full 4K/60fps) or CB, which isn't a massive difference from native 4K except in a select few poorly implemented titles

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
did they test Jedi Fallen Order? Because its being added to EA Play next week and its 60fps on performance mode on Series X so it should be the same on PS5