• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Bulletstorm and Gears Judgment developers People May Fly return with Outriders - an impressive looking shooter that crosses the generational divide... but how? In this video, Tom Morgan and John Linneman take a look at how the game runs on Xbox One X to gain context, but then transition quickly to see how the last-gen experience is boosted on the new wave of hardware.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Text Article:

www.eurogamer.net

Outriders first look: 60fps is the key upgrade for PS5 and Xbox Series consoles

Imagine the cover-shooting mechanics of Gears of War combined with four unique superhero classes and an open world layo…

- Xbox One X: 1728p to 1944p. Targets 30 FPS
- Series S: 900p to 1440p. Targeting 60 FPS with drops to 45~ FPS
- Series X: 1440p to 2088p. With drops in the 50~60 range
- PS5: 1260p to 1800p. With only minor drops from the target 60 FPS
- All versions have improper frame pacing at 30 FPS (cut-scenes in Series\PS5 consoles run at 30)

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished watching the video. I haven't heard about this game but it definitely looks interesting.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Think I might pick this up eventually. Shame about the drops on Series X as the higher res is attractive. They might have to drop res a bit to get closer to 60. I have both so whichever has the better balance will be my choice I guess.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Wonder why developers keep pushing XSX resolutions higher at cost of frame rate.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
There seems to be a trend with XSX having higher resolution but bigger FPS drops compared to PS5, and this can be seen on different games, developed by different teams with different tools and engines. What would explain that ? I'm pretty sure that both XSX and PS5 could have the same performances on those games, so why is there a difference and why is it always the same.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be a trend with XSX having higher resolution but bigger FPS drops compared to PS5, and this can be seen on different games, developed by different teams with different tools and engines. What would explain that ? I'm pretty sure that both XSX and PS5 could have the same performances on those games, so why is there a difference and why is it always the same.
The higher resolution.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a VRR compatible display and I couldn't notice the drops on Series X. I was sure this was locked 60 lol.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Really surprised they didn't pick up that alongside the missing cloth and hair physics the PS5 version also has worse lighting. There's some comparison shots in the OT and something's definitely not right with the PS5 version

Still, really enjoyed my time with the demo and I expect most of the issues with the next-gen console versions to be fixed with the main release.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
VRR will help with the XSX frame drops for people who have compatible displays, but I still wish devs would sacrifice a bit of res to lock things in, said as someone who owns a VRR display. I can't personally feel it because of VRR but that doesn't mean it isn't going to affect lots of users that don't have it.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this games announcement trailer and then forgot about it entirely, saw it again in by sub box and watched the vid only to now be interested in it.

It looks fun to play.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK

It is indeed becoming a common trend.
But I cannot see anything other than VRR support on Xbox as the reason why this is the case.
And even then, you could still detect whether you're attached to a VRR screen and scale resolution more aggressively to minimise drops if you're attached to a regular screen.

Mar 5, 2020
Poland
Think I might pick this up eventually. Shame about the drops on Series X as the higher res is attractive. They might have to drop res a bit to get closer to 60. I have both so whichever has the better balance will be my choice I guess.
When it comes to gameplay itself, basing my opinion on the demo, any dips in action on Xbox Series X with a VRR-compatible TV are a non-issue and they are virtually imperceptible. However I did notice that the game has a choppy feel to its in-engine cutscenes, but DF confirmed it is the case on every platform.

I have a VRR compatible display and I couldn't notice the drops on Series X. I was sure this was locked 60 lol.

Same, no perceptible drops on LG OLED B9 at all.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
VRR will help with the XSX frame drops for people who have compatible displays, but I still wish devs would sacrifice a bit of res to lock things in, said as someone who owns a VRR display. I can't personally feel it because of VRR but that doesn't mean it isn't going to affect lots of users that don't have it.

Devs should not rely on VRR to solve the issues with the frame rate dropping. Only a super tiny portion of the player base have a TV with VRR so it makes no sense for them to use that as a cover. They really should just lower the resolution and lock it at 60fps.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a long time PC player (almost 15 years) frame rate is king, if you have both next gen machines (lucky you) ps5 is the no brainer.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
The demo didn't wow me, so I am more than likely passing when it drops.

The cutscenes at 30fps were extremely jarring, so glad they are patching that out, but the fact that they have a cutscene for everything is annoying as hell.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>Series X having higher resolution but worse frame rate

why is this so common? just match the damn resolution

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I´m surprised they haven`t talked about the differences in lighting. The PS5-version looks much worse in certain areas.
Here are some screenshots I`ve taken:

PC (also Xbox):
01fajhv.jpg

PS5:
0293j6n.jpg

PC (also Xbox):
0315klf.jpg

PS5:
04b6jpf.jpg

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
The usual series x res advantages, PS5 frame advantages.
Like others have said this is so weird and was the same with some one X Vs PS4 pro games. I wonder why. One of the reasons could be 10 yrs later when the next consoles comes out it holds a stable frame rate at the higher res but that's really dumb.

I'll take frame rate over resolution any day.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The thing is, when I'm playing a game with frame rate problems like the XSX version of this game, I don't notice the supposedly better lighting. I'm just 100 percent thrown off by the poor performance.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I´m surprised they haven`t talked about the differences in lighting. The PS5-version looks much worse in certain areas.

PC (also Xbox):
01fajhv.jpg

PS5:
0293j6n.jpg

PC (also Xbox):
0315klf.jpg

PS5:
04b6jpf.jpg
I have some pics taken with my phone camera at this location and on them you can clearly see on the Series X a fire barrel illuminating the person in front of it. On PS5 the NPC appears flat and unaffected by the light source.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Series X vs PS5 seems to be mirroring One X vs PS4 Pro for the most part.

What I don't understand is how the developers can acknowledge that 2160p is too much for 60fps on the Series X, yet only drop the resolution down to a level that still produces framerate dips (2088p). Do they have an internal definition saying that a certain framerate range is good enough? If so, how come the PS5 framerate is seemingly locked instead of pushing its resolution to the upper bounds like on Xbox? Do they start by ensuring 60fps on the PS5 then simply up the Series X res by a set % based on the hardware difference?

Maybe there's a DX/API issue on Xbox causing framerate spikes no matter what a dev does.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

PC (also Xbox):
01fajhv.jpg

PS5:
0293j6n.jpg

PC (also Xbox):
0315klf.jpg

PS5:
04b6jpf.jpg
Wow, the difference is staggering. Why does it look so bad on PS5?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I understand why People Can Fly would target the higher resolution on Xbox Series X. But with the PS5 having a lower resolution, but better frames per second, perhaps it warrants the XSX resolution being dropped. I still don't get why some developers are still trying to push resolution over frame rate.

I wonder if DF will look at the PC version because as of right now, it is a mess. Even with making changes to the gameusersetting.ini, it's hard to push it past 1440p without massive frame rate drops.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017

PC (also Xbox):
01fajhv.jpg

PS5:
0293j6n.jpg

PC (also Xbox):
0315klf.jpg

PS5:
04b6jpf.jpg

Yeah, its probably a bug but the cloth physics are also off on PS5. Lighting looks so bland and brown

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What other games have a res boost with poorer framerates? I can only think of Hitman which was way higher res and only dropped at one part in the entire game. BC titles?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Wonder why developers keep pushing XSX resolutions higher at cost of frame rate.
It's not even a new thing. It happened a lot last gen with Pro and One X.
We need insight by dev here, but I am not sure they are allowed to talk about that.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Wow, the difference is staggering. Why does it look so bad on PS5?
Either a bug or because it's a demo they disabled a few things that weren't working right. I think this is the problem with analysing demos like this, all versions will have things that aren't working right which we'd expect to see fixed in the actual release.

There's no reason why both the Series X and PS5 can't perform identically whilst looking almost identical, I suspect we'll see some optimisation patches in the early days which move both versions closer together in performance and looks.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Guessing wildly...

The hardware advantage on the X side is it's higher memory bandwidth and more CUs. These are the most important bottlenecks of shader throughput. However FPS can be limited by bottlenecks anywhere else in the pipeline. When there's a stall somewhere it can be anything in the entire engine, including the CPU, scene setup, geometry, physics... It's possible dropping the resolution wouldn't improve the FPS. It's also possible there's more optimization to be made, or tuning the predictive resolution scaling.

PS5 have a few differences in it's architecture, the entire pool of memory is not segmented into fast/slow pools, the higher clock might help sections of the GPU which do not scale proportionally to CU count, the custom gpu cache scrubbers in theory would help frame pacing when there's a lot of streaming from the SSD. None of these have a big impact on shader throughput (unless it improves the caches behaviour, which is currently unknown).

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018

PC (also Xbox):
01fajhv.jpg

PS5:
0293j6n.jpg

PC (also Xbox):
0315klf.jpg

PS5:
04b6jpf.jpg
Ooof didn't expect this - looks pretty bad on PS5 in comparison