• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Really appreciate it, looking forward to jumping in as soon as things are resolved.
I'm also seeing talks about the HDR being improved in a patch as well. What's the case with the HDR as it is right now? I'll be playing on an OLED so wondering if I should wait for the HDR patch as well.

I honesly don't know. I game on a C9 myself and I have paperwhite maxed in the game because at default the awesome special effects (attacks, explosions etc) don't nearly stand out as great then. So I would say HDR is pretty ok? But if improving is needed, go for it I say.

One thing though, it's native 4K but for some reason it isn't as crystal clear, sharp, crisp as hell as other 4K games are on the C9. Maybe it's the art style. Take the main menu for example, see the trees, they look soft.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Hold the power button for 10 seconds so the system shuts off completely, then start it up. You'll get the full boot sequence.
I don't know when the update is coming, but here's the info: https://www.orithegame.com/known-9
issues-bug-status-report/
Hi,
Thank you so much for the info and link. I didn't realize some issues came from playing/leaving the system on for too long at once.
I have an original XB1. The post says "Improving performance on both Xbox One X and Xbox One S across the entire game as well as during busy combat scenarios," is it safe to assume that by Xbox One S they also mean OG XB1? Are those basically the same inside for performance purposes? Forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

Oct 29, 2017
Posted in the official thread, but I'll post it here too:

I finished my 100% playthrough last night; 36 hours. This game is a masterpiece.

I played through it on PC, steam version with a ds4, installed on a 2TB SSD (MX500): 4790k @ 4.6GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060, on my 2560x1080 144hz gsync ultrawide. I was well over 100fps most of the time with a few dips in the 80s and 90s. I did have a few stutters, but nothing that bothered me. I did have two glitches happen, which a simple restart fixed. The first was that everything but the hud and ori went black. Everything else was still there and I could control ori and take and give damage. The other was hit sound effects went bye bye.

I'm not bothered by those small issues; I've played through games that were in worse shape years after launch.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Posted in the official thread, but I'll post it here too:

I finished my 100% playthrough last night; 36 hours. This game is a masterpiece.

I played through it on PC, steam version with a ds4, installed on a 2TB SSD (MX500): 4790k @ 4.6GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060, on my 2560x1080 144hz gsync ultrawide. I was well over 100fps most of the time with a few dips in the 80s and 90s. I did have a few stutters, but nothing that bothered me. I did have two glitches happen, which a simple restart fixed. The first was that everything but the hud and ori went black. Everything else was still there and I could control ori and take and give damage. The other was hit sound effects went bye bye.

I'm not bothered by those small issues; I've played through games that were in worse shape years after launch.

Holy shit..

36 hours? The other day I read here that it took someone about 8 hours. But something tells me that person didn't do everything there is to do in the game.

I myself love to take my time, explore everything and everywhere, collect everything and the only thing I don't bother much with are achievements. If I get them, I get them, cool but that's it. So I can look forward to at least 30 hours?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am already at 22 hours according to the game. But it also takes pause in consideration i believe.

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit..

36 hours? The other day I read here that it took someone about 8 hours. But something tells me that person didn't do everything there is to do in the game.

I myself love to take my time, explore everything and everywhere, collect everything and the only thing I don't bother much with are achievements. If I get them, I get them, cool but that's it. So I can look forward to at least 30 hours?
It depends on what the in-game counter actually counts. There were many instances where I left the game on pause to go do chores or cook. If the in-game counter doesn't count pause time, yep 36 hours to 100%; if it does probably somewhere over 20.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what the in-game counter actually counts. There were many instances where I left the game on pause to go do chores or cook. If the in-game counter doesn't count pause time, yep 36 hours to 100%; if it does probably somewhere over 20.
In the first game, pausing the game also pauses the counter (which I'm currently playing through in order to dig into this one), so safe to assume it pauses as well here.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The game isn't showing hours played in the XBox app like some do, but my save timer is around 13 hours and I have 100% map clear, all collectibles, all sidequests, all upgrades purchased. I'd have to start a new game to get any of the other achievements (no deaths, speed run, etc.). Having just played Ori DE on Hard probably helped but I still died a good amount.

Exact hours aside I felt the map size and overall content was good. Would have been nice if the sidequests had more substance but I enjoyed have increased NPC presence anyway.

edit: And on the performance subject, on a pc (1070, 3700x) I had some audio buzzing issues but didn't notice any significant performance issues until the final area where I could tell some frame dropping, but no big stutters or anything.

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i finished last night too, 9:41 playtime with a 77% completion. didnt go out of my way to complete any side quests or anything like that.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
silly bird.

I mean - yes, but I was trying to find a middle ground knowing they can't lock in 4-6 weeks ahead of launch, so a small digital patch 1-2 weeks out would be ok
Why not? In fact, Nintendo can release most of their games in a state that the physical copy is playable without any major issues as well.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Ah yes, same here. I sometimes see the most crazy hours for games and I know for sure they didn't take me that long. I always wonder if the country goes on when I pause a game or when I sit in the dashboard.

No.

15 hours if you're decent and maybe, maybe 20 if you're really taking your time with everything. It took me 12 hours (11:50) to finish with a 99%.

Hmm, I see. Sounds like it's significantly shorter than Hollow Knight then. That's why I personally like a lot, how long that game lasts without dragging. Not for me at least.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I see. Sounds like it's significantly shorter than Hollow Knight then. That's why I personally like a lot, how long that game lasts without dragging. Not for me at least.
Ha, that's specifically something I don't like about Hollow Knight. It would benefit from being a shorter game, I think.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I guess it's just a different development approach. We cut a ton of content out of Blind Forest and Will of the Wisps simply because we felt like it wasn't as much fun as the other stuff. Everything has to feel just right or it gets cut. We even cut some good content if we felt like an area is already pretty packed. To me, editing is super important and I'd rather cut harshly than to leave something not that great in and risk players feeling like the game is padded out. Tight Editing is crucial since we all only have so many hours in the day and I do want people who play our games to actually see the ending to get a full experience. Over 30% of people who started Blind Forest actually completed it, which is a very high number for games... Some of my favorite games when I grew up were A Link to the Past and Super Metroid, both of those games can be played through fairly quickly - they don't need to be any longer than they are, they're just perfect to me.

And yeah, I used to loooove long games when I was younger, I couldn't get enough of super long JRPGs, but I feel like everybody today has less time than they used to... On top of that, every single screen in Will of the Wisps took an almost obscene amount of time to set dress. I think some of our artists are uploading Set Dressing Time-Lapse videos to sites like ArtStation, etc. - It's expensive as hell to dress even a single screen, so cutting helps the production as well, obviously.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy with the length. Super involved games are much harder to sink in.

Kudos on Will of the Wisps thomasmahler

It's one of my favs this generation already, along with Blind Forest.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I guess it's just a different development approach. We cut a ton of content out of Blind Forest and Will of the Wisps simply because we felt like it wasn't as much fun as the other stuff. Everything has to feel just right or it gets cut. We even cut some good content if we felt like an area is already pretty packed. To me, editing is super important and I'd rather cut harshly than to leave something not that great in and risk players feeling like the game is padded out. Tight Editing is crucial since we all only have so many hours in the day and I do want people who play our games to actually see the ending to get a full experience. Over 30% of people who started Blind Forest actually completed it, which is a very high number for games... Some of my favorite games when I grew up were A Link to the Past and Super Metroid, both of those games can be played through fairly quickly - they don't need to be any longer than they are, they're just perfect to me.

And yeah, I used to loooove long games when I was younger, I couldn't get enough of super long JRPGs, but I feel like everybody today has less time than they used to... On top of that, every single screen in Will of the Wisps took an almost obscene amount of time to set dress. I think some of our artists are uploading Set Dressing Time-Lapse videos to sites like ArtStation, etc. - It's expensive as hell to dress even a single screen, so cutting helps the production as well, obviously.

I definitely understand you very well here. But still, if you guys ever plan on adding back the cut content for a special or definitive edition......well,I wouldn't mind that. :)

Also Thomas, what is meant with improving the HDR further in the bug fixes report/list? To me on my OLED it seems pretty fine already. But it's not quite there yet?

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Don't be naive. Videogame developers know a lot more about their engine, assets and hardware than forum posters...

This is a joke post right? We've seen countless of examples of games running just fine before an "enhancements patch" arrived turning up the resolution and ruining the performance. You don't need to be a developer to figured that one out.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You clearly know how to make stunning games, so whatever is your process it works, the results are clear to see. Just like to say thank you for spending time with the community and providing us with personal insight about the Dev process, something quite rare for us to experience as a forum.

Oct 29, 2017
thomasmahler
Will of the Wisps is an absolute masterpiece, thank you for giving us this experience. I sincerely hope we get to experience another ori game sometime in the future.

I found a light orb farming spot; I was able to hit a million in just over an hour lol
It's in a water area (no name to avoid spoilers). Intentional? Or just an easy spot, since killing the same enemy over and over gets you more light orbs each time?

Another thing I noticed, there looks like an extra seed slot on the bottom right of the inventory screen. An oversight or am I missing something? My game file is at 100%.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
Just started the game on PC after watching the video. What a looker! Right now the game is super smooth (capped at 138fps, 1440p on a 1080ti / 7700k) but I haven't encountered a lot of heavy scenes yet, I had a couple of microstutters though which breaks the flow of the animations, hopefully this can be patched, weirdly I found that turning the ingame v-sync on helps with my g-sync monitor.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Windowed-mode G-Sync doesn't work correctly and will cause stuttering in many games (if not all of them).
You need to either edit the registry for the Steam version or use Special K to force it into full-screen exclusive/flip mode for G-Sync to work correctly.

I don't even enable the windowed-mode G-Sync option now.
That might be why, just realized I left it enabled for Windowed apps as well.

Really strange though since the first game (definitive edition at least) seems to support gsync just fine @ 60 fps.

I think I might just continue playing on PC for now. Really wanted to keep playing on my Xbox for HDR but the map screen loading just bothers me for some reason. It sometimes takes a second to open up on the Xbox while it's instant on my PC.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That might be why, just realized I left it enabled for Windowed apps as well.
Really strange though since the first game (definitive edition at least) seems to support gsync just fine @ 60 fps.
The first game doesn't run in basic windowed-mode.
I believe it's using flip-mode, which is equivalent to full-screen exclusive mode - arguably better, since it has the benefits of FSE mode (bypassing the DWM) but behaves like a borderless application for things like alt-tabbing.
I'm not sure if Ori 1 was built to use flip-mode, or if it's Windows 10's Full-Screen Optimizations which have upgraded the game to that. If it was built to use flip-mode, it's strange that Ori 2 does not.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance on normal Xbox are really abysmal. Should haven't go full 3D. Ori blind forest is a looker still and perform admirably.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Folks,

I asked Gennadiy, our Tech Lead, to respond in this chat - they're burning the midnight oil at the moment to get any and all issues fixed, so bare with us. I'm all for just openly discussing the issues we encountered since it's obviously frustrating to us that some people had a sub-par experience, but from what I'm hearing, everything should be smooth sailing soon enough.
Any idea what could be causing the game to shut down my XBX on the initial loading screen? I'm not using any external drive, just the internal stock drive the console game with. It's a launch One X system. It installed and runs fine on my Halo 5 Xbox One, and Gears Xbox One S.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Don't be naive. Videogame developers know a lot more about their engine, assets and hardware than forum posters...

You'd think so but we've seen plenty of instances of GPU limited 1X games that drop frames constantly but for some reason run at 4K or close to it. Then you see the PS4 Pro version running at 1080p/1440p with weaker hardware and it runs at a more stable frame rate. So this wouldn't be the first time a 1X runs at native 4K at the cost of stable frame rate if that is indeed the cause of the issues.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The first game doesn't run in basic windowed-mode.
I believe it's using flip-mode, which is equivalent to full-screen exclusive mode - arguably better, since it has the benefits of FSE mode (bypassing the DWM) but behaves like a borderless application for things like alt-tabbing.
I'm not sure if Ori 1 was built to use flip-mode, or if it's Windows 10's Full-Screen Optimizations which have upgraded the game to that. If it was built to use flip-mode, it's strange that Ori 2 does not.
Yeah, I noticed the first game behaves like other first party Microsoft games where the top menu bar is available to minimize the app. Those seem to work with fullscreen gsync just fine. This isn't the case with the second game.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One of the reasons I put hollow knight above blind forest is the length, so I can't relate. There was so much to do, and so many things I WANTED to do, that it was a blast. The main quest itself was also long, and I loved it. Amazing bang for the buck. I think I ended it at 44 hours, and there's more I want to do.

I love ori, I place it second on recent metroidvanias, and loving will of the whisps. However, even if I had loved both equally (hollow knight and blind forest), if one gave me 15 hours of fun, and another 44, one was clearly better.

Again, I love ori lol. I just want more of it.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Some people were piling on reviewers who complained about performance on here as well.

I just don't understand this 4K requirement, I guess it's just an advertising thing at this point because these consoles just aren't good enough for it.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Some people were piling on reviewers who complained about performance on here as well.

I just don't understand this 4K requirement, I guess it's just an advertising thing at this point because these consoles just aren't good enough for it.
People will complain if it's not 4K. "It's only a 2d game" Damn if you do damned if you don't.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any 60fps Unity games on console that arent a total disaster performance wise?

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
I've been playing this on XB1X and whilst there the odd stutter, it doesn't detract from the general experience whatsoever. The title of this thread feels very clickbatey

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Man this game is a total mess for me on PC. I think I need to buy a new SSD now. Constant stutter, freezing like halo 1 had and random FPS drops. Game also crashed on me twice

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've been playing this on XB1X and whilst there the odd stutter, it doesn't detract from the general experience whatsoever. The title of this thread feels very clickbatey

Did you even watch the video? It clearly shows frame drops that are much more severe than the "odd stutter" and many people here have reported the same on their console.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is a total mess for me on PC. I think I need to buy a new SSD now. Constant stutter, freezing like halo 1 had and random FPS drops. Game also crashed on me twice
That sucks. Played about an hour just now, and while I'm getting some light stutters between areas (which were full-on 1+ second freezes on XB1X), I haven't experienced anything else out of the ordinary yet. Running off my primary SSD as well.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Looks like day 1 patch for xbox has just dropped for pc, d pad is working now.
That dropped two days ago.
Runs perfect locked 60 for me on PC with no stutters at all but then I am using a 2080ti and nvme. The game looks utterly glorious in 4k.
I just finished up Assault Android Cactus and its a silky smooth 60FPS (on PS4 at least) and that's with tons of shit happening on screen on later levels.
True but Wisps is pushing a massive amount of additional geometry and effects compared to that game. Not comparable at all aside from them both using Unity.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
They are not using Dynamic resolution? they just should stick to 1440p and have good performance.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
They are not using Dynamic resolution? they just should stick to 1440p and have good performance.

Yeah it's so weird to push resolution over framerate in a game like Ori.

I asked this in another thread but never got a response, can't people with a X force a lower resolution to improve performance like PS4 Pro (Kingdom Hearts III for example)?