• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm surprised that people are having performance issues with this on PC.
The original Ori stuttered constantly on my PC while running around - and still does, while Ori 2 seems to mostly run smooth except for some dropped frames as it transitions to new areas - at least when targeting 60 FPS. EDIT: The PC is a Ryzen 1700X at 3.9GHz, paired with a GTX 1070 and running at 3440x1440.
The game still puts me to sleep though, just like the original. Not a fan of it at all.

Something of note is that they dropped DirectInput support for this release, so I'm stuck without a controller in the Game Pass version as it doesn't detect a DualShock 4.
I thought Microsoft had created a new API for UWP games which let them support DirectInput devices. If I recall correctly one of the Forza games was first to use it, so that they could support most existing wheels.

Try DS4Windows.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Playing on PC here, it's been fine for me after I installed it on my SSD. On HDD it was a complete mess.

Amazing game though.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
That performance level is simply unacceptable, specially on base systems. I wonder how they can fix these issues when they're so far of their 60fps target.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda baffled that they targeted 4k on XboneX when the performance clearly wasn't there.
Dropping to 1440p or something might of made sense.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Folks,

I asked Gennadiy, our Tech Lead, to respond in this chat - they're burning the midnight oil at the moment to get any and all issues fixed, so bare with us. I'm all for just openly discussing the issues we encountered since it's obviously frustrating to us that some people had a sub-par experience, but from what I'm hearing, everything should be smooth sailing soon enough.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
While that may work, I'm not installing a driver just for one game.
I use Steam Input, and that works in pretty much everything - except Game Pass games.
The original Ori supported DirectInput (which is what the DS4 falls back to) but Ori 2 dropped support for it.

I think I have an adapter to use my DualShock 4 on Switch that may also work on PC though.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks,

I asked Gennadiy, our Tech Lead, to respond in this chat - they're burning the midnight oil at the moment to get any and all issues fixed, so bare with us. I'm all for just openly discussing the issues we encountered since it's obviously frustrating to us that some people had a sub-par experience, but from what I'm hearing, everything should be smooth sailing soon enough.
Thanks, i'll wait until the update is out for me to start my play through. Cheers.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Folks,

Thanks for this update. I'll wait for the for the new patch before starting it.

Can we realistically expect it sometime next week?

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Folks,

Really appreciate it, looking forward to jumping in as soon as things are resolved.
I'm also seeing talks about the HDR being improved in a patch as well. What's the case with the HDR as it is right now? I'll be playing on an OLED so wondering if I should wait for the HDR patch as well.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I use Steam Input, and that works in pretty much everything - except Game Pass games.
The original Ori supported DirectInput (which is what the DS4 falls back to) but Ori 2 dropped support for it.

I think I have an adapter to use my DualShock 4 on Switch that may also work on PC though.

Well it's just light software. It doesn't really install anything. It runs directly from wherever you put it on your computer, and there's nothing running in the background after you close it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I played on an AMD GPU on PC and it was mostly fine aside from the odd dropped frame here and there.

I wonder where the bottleneck is on consoles.

DS4Windows is pain free.

PcPlasticFuzz

Nov 4, 2017
Folks,

Thank you very much for the update and the work and hours being put into the game. It's appreciated by lots of people I can assure you of that.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
DS4Windows is pain free.
Not in my experience. It used to interfere with Steam Input, and required permissions elevation every time I connected a controller due to the hack it uses for exclusive mode (which is required to prevent double inputs in many games that support both XInput and DirectInput).
Once that hack was required to get exclusive mode working, I started looking for alternatives - and then Valve opened up Steam Input not that long after.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two times I booted the game. Main screen but nothing appears. Need to close and open again

really shame to release such awaited game like this :( i appreciate the feedback here but the game was gold a month ago. Strange

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
PC seems fine to m.
GTX 1070 and i5 8600K on 1440p and getting 120-140fps. Both overclocked though.

Don't know how some PC players get such awful performance.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
They had a long time to make this, and seemed ok with delays to make it right. I wonder why they didn't just delay it for a couple weeks to get performance right.

With that said, playing on PC and outside a few random stutters performance has been pretty good.

Hope they fix it soon. Games is amazing and deserves praise, not negativity regarding it's performance.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
well damn, it's even having issues on PC. Guess I'll wait a few weeks for this to be fixed.

Dark1x Since you weren't able to get the PC version working for this video, will there be a separate video for that later on?

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I guess I'll wait for the HDR improvements on PC then.

I'm surprised and saddened to hear the performance can drop so low on Xbox.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I agree that the postings from the studio staff that asked to change of the review score should apologize for this post after the DF analysis. I personally had a pretty smooth experience after the update and a restart of the console, but it seems there are some issues to be solved still.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Watch the video. It's defintiely
Guess I won't hold my breath for a Switch port anytime soon.
They mentioned the reason the Switch version ran so well, including 60FPS Ori animations, was because they worked on that engine for 10 years.

I am optimistic Moon will improve Ori 2's performance in time.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah same here. It runs fine here. Only problem i have is something the loading zones. It pauses abit with loading it. But thats like ones every 2 hours or so.

Game is looker tho. Like a Disney movie.

21f58418-8acd-4627-8efe-d7dc7d75b1f0.PNG
c3aacc67-0700-4a52-a031-f99ccfbb677f.PNG
Ya its a completely confusing situation. It seems way more variable. I have always had a big issue with FPS counting in some games as spells you may use, how many things are going on, how you traverse and so forth could adjust the FPS in some games. So depending even on how a person played it might be different. We have seen that in a lot of games as the variability does make some weird outcomes possible.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Not really having performance issues, but at the end of any cutscene the screen stays completely black unless I pause to skip cutscene. Kind of annoying.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this game is CPU intensive but from my complete super science of looking at RTSS stats it seems to much more favour the GPU.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Is XB1 S the same performance as XB1 regular?

And do we know if another performance patch is coming? Loving the game but lots of freezes and stuttering.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I've had some problems on Xbox One X that were solved by doing a cold boot. There are still framerate drops but it is not even nearly as bad as it was before I did that. It's at least not distracting anymore. Looking forward to the update next week regardless.
Hi Aeana,
May I ask what is a cold boot, and do we know when the update is coming next week and what it's supposed to do?

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this "launch now, add HDR later" approach.
I will never support a developer that treats pc as a second class platform.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Gsync was the cause of micro stuttering in my case, fyi.
Windowed-mode G-Sync doesn't work correctly and will cause stuttering in many games (if not all of them).
You need to either edit the registry for the Steam version or use Special K to force it into full-screen exclusive/flip mode for G-Sync to work correctly.

I don't even enable the windowed-mode G-Sync option now.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The only noticeable frame rate issues for me on my Xbox one X were in the areas under water. So far, at least. I have a VRR TV, and it definitely helps.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's not CPU intensive.

GameGPU tested it on multiple CPUs and even a terrible chip like the FX 4300 can hold up to 90 fps.
Ah I see you must be a scientist too.
The game doesn't seem to be that demanding on PC at all really, which makes the console performance all the more perplexing.
That said it does like to stutter. True Fullscreen mode seems a lot better than windowed in this regard.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's great to see the developer being so transparent and clear about it. I however can't help but wonder how this happened. Myself I haven't seen much issues yet but I am also not very far in the game yet.