• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
It's such a great game otherwise, it really is, but the performance hurts this game worse than I expected. It's like this beautiful game with amazing effects and visuals, soaring pristine music , and then two bad guys appear on screen, the frame rate fluctuates wildly and you're like "What the fuck just happened here?!" It's so out of place in an otherwise great title

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
No issues for me. I'm about 7 hours in and haven't dropped a single frame at 4k60. No audio issues either. Steam version.

60 seems to be doable. It's higher frame rates that tend to struggle a bit with low cpu/gpu utilization. That's fairly common for Unity titles unfortunately. Likely has to do with some bad threading in the game logic. Not sure if the blame lies with Unity or devs though.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like stuff like this is gonna be more the norm as console games have to be optimized for a bunch of spec configuration.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
60 seems to be doable. It's higher frame rates that tend to struggle a bit with low cpu/gpu utilization. That's fairly common for Unity titles unfortunately. Likely has to do with some bad threading in the game logic. Not sure if the blame lies with Unity or devs though.

I didn't play for long but it seemed perfectly fine when I tested it at 3840x1600 ultrawide as well. It was hovering between 120 and 144 fps and was smooth once I enabled gsync for windowed programs.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play for long but it seemed perfectly fine when I tested it at 3840x1600 ultrawide as well. It was hovering between 120 and 144 fps and was smooth once I enabled gsync for windowed programs.

No go for me with a 2070 Super at 1080p/144/GSync with the GamePass version. Can't get a framerate monitor your work for some reason so I can't see the framerate, but it's juddering noticeably.

Borderless window may be the culprit, however. GSync doesn't play very well with UWP titles, especially with mismatched multi monitors due to the refresh rate issues.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I get stuttering and audio cuts literally every time I move to a new area and that's on a 2070 Super and NVME at 1080p60fps. I'm on Game Pass so I wouldn't be surprised if the Windows Store version was worse.

You know, original Xbox Ones exist, perhaps you might want to invest some time into that experience, too?

The irony is that the base console is usually what the biggest playerbase is on but it always gets the least care.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can force actual fullscreen in this game. Fixed the jutter/stutter on my gsync monitor perfectly.

Launch "regedit" (can just type this in windows search bar)
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Moon Studios\OriAndTheWilloftheWisps
Set Screenmanager Fullscreen mode_h3630240806 to 0 (should be 1 by default).

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah that was a disgusting thread, reviewers have a right to score based on the game they were given and now it turns out that on top of all that the performance issues weren't properly fixed it just makes the demands that they be changed even sadder.
It is a little bizarre, are reviewers supposed to wait for day one patches before they start their review as "that's the one everyone will be playing"? Asking the reviewer to go back and re-review the game is a big ask especially when the patch didn't even fix the problems like everyone was assuming.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy with 1440P performance on my GTX1060 6gb and Ryzen (I forget which, but it was never top of the line). This is the Gamepass version so there's minor hitching when loading at points, and some sound bzzts but frame rate seems fine. Very weird the X has such drops. Is it cpu related?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It is a little bizarre, are reviewers supposed to wait for day one patches before they start their review as "that's the one everyone will be playing"? Asking the reviewer to go back and re-review the game is a big ask especially when the patch didn't even fix the problems like everyone was assuming.

I hope the patch actually did fix the issues for them rather than just changing the score for the sake of peer pressure.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the gamepass version on a gtx 970 and nvme. Ran it at 72-120fps (changed cap in areas that were more demanding) and aside from actual bugs like getting stuck in the ground or falling through the ground, I only saw very minor stutter once in a while. I had frametime graph up my whole playthrough. Opening the map late-game caused a rough stutter though.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's a tricky one. If a reviewer is playing a build of the game that the general public won't be playing, their input on those pre-release issues won't be valid or valuable to the reader especially when the review guide specifically notes this. I wouldn't take them to task on a pre-release build for that reason.

Post launch/day one patch, though? It's fair as that is a version people will play.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Those with performance problems on PC, run the game is exclusive fullscreen mode.
Thats what worked for me.

You'll have to do it via regedit though, becuase the game is fucking dire when it comes to graphics options.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
GameGPU has PC benchmarks:

screenshot_2020-03-14t8k1y.png

screenshot_2020-03-14qgj1t.png

screenshot_2020-03-1484kpf.png

Last edited:

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so disappointed by the performance on the One S. The unlocked and constantly shifting framerate is extremely annoying and kicks the game's satisfying fluidity which the gameplay otherwise offers right in the balls.

But this is not even the game's biggest technical problem. When I started playing I got regular micro stutters every next minute. Now, like 6 hours into the game, these stutters have become 3 to 5 seconds long and appear at least once a minute. The game just completely freezes for a few seconds in the middle of gameplay. WTF.

It's bonkers that the game shipped like that. I rarely have the time to play a game twice so this will likely forever be my impression of Ori 2. A patch in a few weeks or months is nice for other players but it doesn't excuse the state the game was launched at.

Massive disappointment.

Edit:
Just skimmed through the DF video and it looks like the freezing/stutter issues I had were not covered. Did you not have these problems at all on One S Dark1x ?

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Playing it on PC and I have GTX 1060. there are sluttering and sound issues. It stops shortly after playing the game, but it comes back with major cutscenes and the sound can be really annoying and ruins the cutscene. It's a shame, because aside from that the game is amazing.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I'm so disappointed by the performance on the One S.

I am playing this on a 'Day One' Xbox One.

Think about us poor folks too...

I have had to stop playing this after reaching a certain point, as the stuttering has become so, so bad.

I'm genuinely pleased Moon Studios got the critical acclaim they deserve however, so many reviews seems to completely neglect these glaring technical issues. Were they all playing the PC version or something?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I am playing this on a 'Day One' Xbox One.

Think about us poor folks too...

I have had to stop playing this after reaching a certain point, as the stuttering has become so, so bad.

I'm genuinely pleased Moon Studios got the critical acclaim they deserve however, so many reviews seems to completely neglect these glaring technical issues. Were they all playing the PC version or something?

The PC version had a lower MC for the first few says actually and has half the reviews.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
It's quite disappointing as the first Ori was one of the few examples of a Unity game with great performance (eventhough all versions of it except the switch ver has 30FPS animations). Especially disappointing considering the unusually prolonged development time (which makes me assume that this game had quite a bit of development problems).

That's not true.

I remember long discussions about first game stuttering problems with devs. They promised patches for months but finally only the new release of the Definitive Edition barely fixed the problems.

steamcommunity.com

Stuttering! :: Ori and the Blind Forest General Discussions

So, the game runs at 60fps most of the time for me, but occasionally, especially when I am moving from one area or scene to another (or during cutscenes even), there is a slight but very much noticeable stutter. Kinda immersion breaking really. Is anyone else getting it?

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'Removing the stutters on Xbox One S and Xbox One X after longer periods of play time'- This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. It ruined the game for me so I turned it off and restarted and it performed much better.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I havnt noticed and noticable performance issues so far on my One X.

I did however notice a couple of stutters that didnt really bother me much.. I'm not too far in to the game though so I guess I will encounter it soon enough

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I mean relative to other titles, I can't imagine this is the most demanding game on X to explain drops of 40%+ in frames...

Like, the first game scaled to Switch performance so...
Most 4K games are 30fps so you can't really see how demanding they are, but sure Gears 5 is 4K and close to locked 60fps so I still kinda agree.

As for Blind Forest on Switch it can be compared to that since they've gone with full 3D now. I doubt we'll ever see Will of the Wisps on Switch unless they remakes it completely in 2D.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The game may be 2D but the rendering is 3D with lots of high quality effects, assets and features.
That doesn't really justify the performance at all, but i would be incorrect to say it's not an advanced/demanding game.

true - but I would have the thought the side on aspect would have allowed the developer to more readily control what is being rendered more easily than something with a freely controllable camera, and so optimisation and frame rate stability should be relatively more achievable.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That's a tricky one. If a reviewer is playing a build of the game that the general public won't be playing, their input on those pre-release issues won't be valid or valuable to the reader especially when the review guide specifically notes this. I wouldn't take them to task on a pre-release build for that reason.

Post launch/day one patch, though? It's fair as that is a version people will play.

some level of responsibility on publishers to not make available builds to reviewers that they aren't happy being reviewed.

day 1 patches are so common these days that perhaps the 'gold' version quality is knowingly slipping. Maybe they should focus on more solid performance/stability for a day -7 patch so reviewers get some time with a good build. This 'just in time' approach is biting them in the ass

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true.

I remember long discussions about first game stuttering problems with devs. They promised patches for months but finally only the new release of the Definitive Edition barely fixed the problems.

steamcommunity.com

Stuttering! :: Ori and the Blind Forest General Discussions

So, the game runs at 60fps most of the time for me, but occasionally, especially when I am moving from one area or scene to another (or during cutscenes even), there is a slight but very much noticeable stutter. Kinda immersion breaking really. Is anyone else getting it?
Well I wouldn't know, because the version of the game I played (and seems like the version John played as well), were very good performing. So that was my experience. Regardless it was a unique game in that despite being Unity it performed well as it showed that it was possible to have a good looking good performing Unity game.

Edit: That's steam forums, so PC ver. we are talking about Xbox ver here. John has the first game running the framerate counter in this video itself and you can see stable 60FPS there

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
some level of responsibility on publishers to not make available builds to reviewers that they aren't happy being reviewed.

day 1 patches are so common these days that perhaps the 'gold' version quality is knowingly slipping. Maybe they should focus on more solid performance/stability for a day -7 patch so reviewers get some time with a good build. This 'just in time' approach is biting them in the ass
Or, you know, first finish the game in a good state, then press the discs.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
And to know this reviewer that gave the game a lower score because of performance was bullied in this fucking forum, saying he didn't have the patch and that reviewer ended up changing the score, even the moon studios person that has an account here quoted the reviewer asking if they would change the score when the game had the day patch installed. Absolutely disgusting.

The one below is the worst offender for me, the game director asking a reviewer to change a score, when he knew even with the patch the game performance was bad.

That was pretty shameful. Reviewer was just posting his thoughts and got jumped on by everyone for not following the party line, as is usual in review threads sadly. And now that we have proof that the complaints about performance were justified I doubt they'll be clamoring for a score change the other way.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ya I am in the second half. Spent hours pouring over it again post-patch getting it ready for review and lowest fps ever went both software and counted manually was 51. Where prior to that it was these numbers reported here. I legit thought they were reporting on the game prior to the patch. It is confusing. Even watching some of my folks stream it today in discord and it was much smoother than anything here.

I did have a number of people with fps problems reboot the xbox and it was fine. John and I have talked about it, he talks about it and always does reboot the xbox after a patch/install for testing. However for others who have issues I would suggest that if you haven't tried it.
Yeah same here. It runs fine here. Only problem i have is something the loading zones. It pauses abit with loading it. But thats like ones every 2 hours or so.

Game is looker tho. Like a Disney movie.

21f58418-8acd-4627-8efe-d7dc7d75b1f0.PNG
c3aacc67-0700-4a52-a031-f99ccfbb677f.PNG

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Well I wouldn't know, because the version of the game I played (and seems like the version John played as well), were very good performing. So that was my experience. Regardless it was a unique game in that despite being Unity it performed well as it showed that it was possible to have a good looking good performing Unity game.

Edit: That's steam forums, so PC ver. we are talking about Xbox ver here. John has the first game running the framerate counter in this video itself and you can see stable 60FPS there

Because was patched to fix the launch problems.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried it on my Xbox one Sn(bedroom). I. Played 1h so far. I was at the first well. Directly 30fps. Wow

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Runs great on maxed 4K with 1080Ti, R5 1600, 16GB and NVME. I'll try 1080p120 today and see if lowered res bothers me much.

Buck Dancer

Oct 27, 2017
It's unfortunate that the Xbox one x performance is so bad. Lost save files numerous times, constant crashes and sound issues.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed a couple of drops, particularly in busy combat areas, on my 1X but nothing that broke the game for me.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that people are having performance issues with this on PC.
The original Ori stuttered constantly on my PC while running around - and still does, while Ori 2 seems to mostly run smooth except for some dropped frames as it transitions to new areas - at least when targeting 60 FPS. EDIT: The PC is a Ryzen 1700X at 3.9GHz, paired with a GTX 1070 and running at 3440x1440.
The game still puts me to sleep though, just like the original. Not a fan of it at all.

Something of note is that they dropped DirectInput support for this release, so I'm stuck without a controller in the Game Pass version as it doesn't detect a DualShock 4.
I thought Microsoft had created a new API for UWP games which let them support DirectInput devices. If I recall correctly one of the Forza games was first to use it, so that they could support most existing wheels.

You can force actual fullscreen in this game. Fixed the jutter/stutter on my gsync monitor perfectly.

Launch "regedit" (can just type this in windows search bar)
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Moon Studios\OriAndTheWilloftheWisps
Set Screenmanager Fullscreen mode_h3630240806 to 0 (should be 1 by default).
Doesn't seem to exist for the Game Pass version - though that shouldn't be surprising.

Putting the worst aspects of the DF breakdown in the title is a choice I don't agree with.
Performance is the most important information for most people.
Who cares if a game is 4K native if it runs badly? Or if it's 900p if it's running well?

And to know this reviewer that gave the game a lower score because of performance was bullied in this fucking forum, saying he didn't have the patch and that reviewer ended up changing the score, even the moon studios person that has an account here quoted the reviewer asking if they would change the score when the game had the day patch installed. Absolutely disgusting.
Despite being progressive in some areas, this forum is extremely toxic on certain subjects.
You better not say anything that is not 100% positive about people's favorite games - even if those games are not actually out yet, so they haven't had a chance to play them.
I've learned to be liberal in my use of the ignore function because otherwise I don't think I'd be spending any time here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how this game scored that high with all the tehnical problems that it had.

My experience with it on PC was pretty miserable in that regard with slowdowns, audio problems, bugs and a few more problems.