• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Kinda shocked this couldn't get 60 fps stable on Xbox. PC I'm able to get 120+ on 1440p it doesn't seem like it's that demanding of a game.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Like I said, that's not meant as excuse for this performance or to say that it's the most demanding game on the platform. But it is a pretty advanced game visually, and it can be that without being the most advanced, and still have poor performance than what's to be expected. Which is the case here.
To clarify, my point is that if more demanding games have performed better, this seems like some sort of issue beyond that such as the engine or optimization.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
And to know this reviewer that gave the game a lower score because of performance was bullied in this fucking forum, saying he didn't have the patch and that reviewer ended up changing the score, even the moon studios person that has an account here quoted the reviewer asking if they would change the score when the game had the day patch installed. Absolutely disgusting.

The one below is the worst offender for me, the game director asking a reviewer to change a score, when he knew even with the patch the game performance was bad.
I had the latest version and one time, I had awful performance, then another time had broken loading screens, so there's definitely issues even when patched. More problematic and confusing is it seems to be very random and doesn't affect everyone.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
People hoping for the performance issues to be "fixed" in a patch shortly, don't count on it.
Significant performance patches take time. I highly doubt this will be running at 60fps locked in under a month when the day 1 patch has such bad drops, unless they slash the resolution

The game still seems quality though, don't let it keep you from playing it

Last edited:

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More problematic and confusing is it seems to be very random and doesn't affect everyone.
Ya I am in the second half. Spent hours pouring over it again post-patch getting it ready for review and lowest fps ever went both software and counted manually was 51. Where prior to that it was these numbers reported here. I legit thought they were reporting on the game prior to the patch. It is confusing. Even watching some of my folks stream it today in discord and it was much smoother than anything here.

I did have a number of people with fps problems reboot the xbox and it was fine. John and I have talked about it, he talks about it and always does reboot the xbox after a patch/install for testing. However for others who have issues I would suggest that if you haven't tried it.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
35 fps on the X?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've gotten way worse during a couple of the combat trials, like 20-ish.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Is XB1 S the same performance as XB1 regular?

And do we know if another performance patch is coming? Loving the game but lots of freezes and stuttering.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite disappointing as the first Ori was one of the few examples of a Unity game with great performance

The first was a much simpler looking game, though.

I guess they prioritized graphic to performance, thinking they could handle it. Unity is just not that easy to optimize fully, even if one title runs better you never know what compromises were made.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The first was a much simpler looking game, though.

I guess they prioritized graphic to performance, thinking they could handle it. Unity is just not that easy to optimize fully, even if one title runs better you never know what compromises were made.
Why do devs for consoles still use Unity if that engine always has had problems? If Unity can't work out it's issues, seems like devs should get rid of it. I remember stuff like Firewatch blamed Unity too.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Why do devs for consoles still use Unity if that engine always has had problems? If Unity can't work out it's issues, seems like devs should get rid of it. I remember stuff like Firewatch blamed Unity too.

Because software development is about making compromises. It's not like there are immediate alternatives that are better. Unity allowed them to make the game they wanted to make. You can only blame them for not giving priority to performance and balance things more carefully.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It was like going in slow motion for me going to fetch that feather in the beginning. There and back. On my X. I did not expect that kind of crap performance.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a locked resolution on the X or is it dynamic? If it's locked maybe Moon studios should look into implementing a dynamic resolution, or at least an option for one. I'm sure it's not some easy switch to flip, but I'd much rather the game run at 60fps than 4K.

Lucky for me I have a long list of games that I intended on playing before Will of the Wisps. I want to make sure I give it the time and attention it deserves since I loved the first game so much. Hopefully when I get around to playing it performance will be much more consistent.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is it a locked resolution on the X or is it dynamic? If it's locked maybe Moon studios should look into implementing a dynamic resolution, or at least an option for one. I'm sure it's not some easy switch to flip, but I'd much rather the game run at 60fps than 4K.
Appears X is locked to 4K and XB1S is dynamic. Dynamic resolution hasn't made the base console experience any better but if it helps at all they should definitely implement it on the X.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Appears X is locked to 4K and XB1S is dynamic. Dynamic resolution hasn't made the base console experience any better but if it helps at all they should definitely implement it on the X.
If it is already implemented for the S then maybe it wouldn't be so hard for Moon to add it for the X. Since it seems the X is already running better at 4K than the S is at a dynamic resolution I have to imagine that a dynamic resolution on X would make a massive improvement.

But I'm also not a game designer so what do I know? I'm sure nothing is as easy or definitive as I'm making it out to be.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
And to know this reviewer that gave the game a lower score because of performance was bullied in this fucking forum, saying he didn't have the patch and that reviewer ended up changing the score, even the moon studios person that has an account here quoted the reviewer asking if they would change the score when the game had the day patch installed. Absolutely disgusting.

The one below is the worst offender for me, the game director asking a reviewer to change a score, when he knew even with the patch the game performance was bad.

Yeah, this was a really bad show.
I'm really surprised at this performance level, the first one on Switch is top notch.
Hope they can fix it.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
They should have just made the X1X version 1440p. The game has a soft look and doesn't need 4K resolution anyway. It's a challenging platformer, it needs performance.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
This game is so amazing, but the performance is really souring it for me. (on Xbox One S)

Hopefully next week's patch helps, I think I'll hold off on playing til then. And if it doesn't help, then I guess I'm waiting til next gen to play the game proper..

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Do you guys have it installed on a SSD? I have a 2080 Super and I haven't experienced any framedrops at all.
Yes. It's only somewhat unstable in really conplex scenes, I noticed it drop a few times in areas where there are bubbles and stuff generated in the water.

Also, just tried it on my One X too and it's horrible. 😬

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
It really is a shame that the performance issues on console are overshadowing just how fantastic the game itself is. On a good PC, it's a legit masterpiece. Hopefully they can patch things up soon for console players!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Yeah that was a disgusting thread, reviewers have a right to score based on the game they were given and now it turns out that on top of all that the performance issues weren't properly fixed it just makes the demands that they be changed even sadder.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It really is a shame that the performance issues on console are overshadowing just how fantastic the game itself is. On a good PC, it's a legit masterpiece. Hopefully they can patch things up soon for console players!

Even on a high end PC that should this games without breaking a sweat there are stuttering and audio popping issues.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Even on a high end PC that should this games without breaking a sweat there are stuttering and audio popping issues.

I've had no audio issues - and while I've had some minor stuttering on my desktop, it subsides after a few minutes of playing. On my laptop, it's a locked 1080p/60 with no dips, stuttering, or audio issues.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issues on PC. 4k60 or 1080p144 both work really well. It is a lot more demanding than it lets on though. It maxes out a RTX 2060 so I totally get why base xbone is choking even at low resolution. That's about right performance for what the game is doing which seems to be a lot actually. The water and how it reacts, all the moving parts and grounds, all the different animations with each ability etc, this is not a simple 2D game. There is nothing quite like this.

I am not really sure what even runs or looks good on xbox one s these days to expect more from this game.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe for some weird reason the game performance is cpu limited. Usually this is not the kind of game that push cpus to their limits.. but who knows, the game surely is doing a lot of gorgeous things real time

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've had some problems on Xbox One X that were solved by doing a cold boot. There are still framerate drops but it is not even nearly as bad as it was before I did that. It's at least not distracting anymore. Looking forward to the update next week regardless.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Game is absolutely incredible. The hitching while moving fast through segments I've already done is really the only issue that stuck out to me. Great experience so far.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had some problems on Xbox One X that were solved by doing a cold boot. There are still framerate drops but it is not even nearly as bad as it was before I did that. It's at least not distracting anymore. Looking forward to the update next week regardless.
Ok something is for sure up.
Just had 3 people in my discord stream their xbox x versions. 2 were fine very few dips and many barely noticable. The 3rd was a mess. Reinstalling fixed it BUT hardware reboot and moving the install DID NOT.
This is puzzling as hell.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
The game is still very playable and I'm glad a patch is on the way, but how did they not catch these issues in QA before release? You would think Microsoft would be all over making sure this game had top notch performance on the 1X at the very least.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
As a person who mainly plays on the Switch, I'm used to performance compromises. The amount of times I'm playing in slow motion in this game is still jarring. I absolutely want to love this game, but this is really impacting my enjoyment. I might have to put this on hold until it gets properly patched.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Seems more like a case of the game being released in an unoptimized state than it being too ambitious to run on XB1S/X

I'm sure most of these issues will be ironed out in a month or so

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just had 3 people in my discord stream their xbox x versions. 2 were fine very few dips and many barely noticable. The 3rd was a mess. Reinstalling fixed it BUT hardware reboot and moving the install DID NOT.
On 1X, mine's really choppy during combat and I'm getting pauses pretty often of ~1 second or so. This is after a fresh install on a cold-booted console. So strange. Thankfully I can play on PC instead, but maybe I'll try a reinstall just to see if that improves anything.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

Wasn't the preload around 10GB for some people? I redownloaded last night and it's about 6GB now. I wonder if the wrong build got pushed and could be making things worse for early downloaders.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I got about 2 hours in and had some really bad slow down to the point I put the game down and walked away. I'm playing on an original Xbox one. I really enjoyed the game but the stuttering made it hard to keep going. I'll try again when the patch comes out.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it on a fairly beefy PC out to my 4k tv with no performance issues at all. Game is glorious to behold on a large 4k screen, and, incidentally, I think benefits from a large screen more than other games due to how zoomed out things are... It's just so immersive on a large display.

Hopefully they get the console stuff sorted soon!

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad to see console performance tarnishing what should be one of the best damn games I've ever played. This sorta game didn't really need to target native 4K either (assuming a GPU bottleneck is the issue... who knows).

I played it at 3440x1440 on PC with FPS capped at 90 (to avoid hitching) and it was smooth as butter from start to finish.